Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is there a good mid-pipe upgrade that doesn't drone?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

descartesfool

descartesfool

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 822 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

I have been running a Cobb mid-pipe with cats but no resonator along with Cobb intakes and a Cobb Accessport. However after a couple of years I have gotten tired of the drone from the mid-pipe and took it off and put it back to stock with the OEM mid-pipe when I had to take it all off to fix the turbo oil feed line. But I wouldn't mind unlocking some of the lost power with another mid-pipe that won't make my wife keep asking me why did I make my car so noisy! It was kind of annoying me too in city driving. Rest of exhaust is still stock and I want to leave it that way. Looking for more power with minimal noise increase over stock.

Suggestions welcome.

L.L.

L.L.

Stock

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Joined 02-September 16
  • LocationSan Diego

Are you also running catless downpipes?

IMG_1064_400.jpg

2015 Nissan GT-R Premium

AMS Alpha 9+ Turbochargers | AMS Alpha Induction Kit | AMS Alpha Front Mount Intercooler
AMS Alpha 3" Intakes | AMS Alpha 90mm Downpipes | Litchfield 102mm Triple Silenced Exhaust
AMS 4.0 BAR Map Sensor | AMS Alpha Coolant Expansion Tank | AMS Alpha Splash Shield 

Speed Density on Cobb AP3 | ID1300 Injectors | Tial Q BOV | DW300C Fuel Pumps | GotBoost Flexfuel Kit | GotBoost Fuel Pressure Monitoring Kit 

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,548 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
Should always be drone but you should in theory be able to change at what rpm the drone occurs in. Don't think there is a system that will eliminate it.

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,591 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

not sure if you saw this thread:

http://www.gtrherita...n-linney-titan/

descartesfool

descartesfool

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 822 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

Are you also running catless downpipes?

No. Stock downpipes with the OEM cats.

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,711 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
I quite like the Mines Titan Straight Converter Type I (http://www.mines-wav...ALOG/R35_E.html) - http://www.mines-wav...Con_T1_1000.jpg I got from Bill_Malibu a while back.

It's close enough to OEM that my wife didn't notice the change just cruising around, but enough of a change that I now blast the fuck out of the car under every bridge, tunnel, underpass etc that I can find. :)

Dave

5ive

5ive

Stock

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 29-March 16
  • LocationGermany Hannover

maybe go for the nismo stuff http://www.nismo.co....ash/150018.html

greetings,

Robert

• thehelix112 likes this

L.L.

L.L.

Stock

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Joined 02-September 16
  • LocationSan Diego

No. Stock downpipes with the OEM cats.

That's great because cost-effective options to tone things down are available when working with stock downpipes. Not many options available with catless downpipes.

In addition to the options already presented in the previous posts, here is another:

A member on the other forum added a Borla XR1 muffler to his Cobb catted midpipe to help address the drone. The Borla XR1  is used on the "resonated" version of the AMS midpipe and can be had for < $175. A local exhaust fabricator can help with the installation. Hopefully you're comfortable with the mod because it involves cutting the current midpipe and rewelding the XR1 muffler in place of the straight piped section. It should be a piece of cake for an experienced fabricator. 

My personal experience with that modification -- I did the same modification on a AMS non-resonated midpipe prior to a long road trip in Nov. Previous to the addition, the SO pretty much said we were not taking the car on anymore road trips. The drone gave her a headache and was not conducive to comfortable road trips even after adding sound deadening throughout the cabin. The XR1 addressed the comfort issues and the exhaust note was much more refined on the outside while the cabin was nice and quiet. We took the car on a 3k mile interstate road trip shortly thereafter with zero complaints about drone. The only complaint was that it did not help much once catless downpipes were installed. 

If I were to start over with a stock GTR, the first mod would be the AMS resonated midpipe or any midpipe with the addition of the Borla XR1 muffler. I felt that was the perfect balance of refined exhaust note and comfort.

IMG_1064_400.jpg

2015 Nissan GT-R Premium

AMS Alpha 9+ Turbochargers | AMS Alpha Induction Kit | AMS Alpha Front Mount Intercooler
AMS Alpha 3" Intakes | AMS Alpha 90mm Downpipes | Litchfield 102mm Triple Silenced Exhaust
AMS 4.0 BAR Map Sensor | AMS Alpha Coolant Expansion Tank | AMS Alpha Splash Shield 

Speed Density on Cobb AP3 | ID1300 Injectors | Tial Q BOV | DW300C Fuel Pumps | GotBoost Flexfuel Kit | GotBoost Fuel Pressure Monitoring Kit 

cjmatt

cjmatt

Stage 4 Member

• 440 posts
  • Joined 29-January 14
  • LocationDetroit

The Boost Logic Quadzilla is the least droney Midpipe ive had. Ive had a Linney titan, COBB Catted, and Meistershaft also

jbl16

jbl16

Stock

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 12-September 16
Im using AMS resonated 90mm with stock catback and catless downpipes. With this setup its almost back to stock level drone. However the part throttle gtr tone is now muted, although itsounds roughly the same at full throttle as nonresonated. It also took away the raspy tone I had with the nonresonated mids.

gtrguyinaz

gtrguyinaz

Stock

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Joined 26-April 17

SBD or HKS resonated mid pipe with no cats has no drone and flows perfect.

descartesfool

descartesfool

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 822 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

That is a good link to add a Borla muffler to my Cobb catted y-pipe. Probably the cheapest option. Otherwise I can sell my Cobb pipe and buy something else with resonators which take out the low frequency drone which is occurring on the highway at 60-75 mph in 6th gear, which is 2100 to 2700 RPM or so in 6th gear (per http://www.dragtimes...-speed-1.html).

But I might also like to know what Y-pipes people have tied that have low drone. I assume you need one with a resonator on the main pipe or one on each inlet pipe, but reviews seem very variable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users