Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help me build my 8 second car

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

mitsevo03

mitsevo03

Stock

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 03-February 16
I get the deal with sbd but what about the aam stuff?

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 8,647 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches

Honest question. Let's just say we e heard horror stories about cars sitting for over a year,ill fitting parts,not living up to their advertised specs. Not sure if this still relevant but they had a high amount of turnover.

Anybody want to add anything?
  • ian.r and mitsevo03 like this
post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

mitsevo03

mitsevo03

Stock

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 03-February 16

Honest question. Let's just say we e heard horror stories about cars sitting for over a year,ill fitting parts,not living up to their advertised specs. Not sure if this still relevant but they had a high amount of turnover.

Based on my research I haven't seen much from them as far as just their parts go other than Alex Ortegas car

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,580 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago

saw many build threads with many issues too. Don't think anyone has made good track numbers, or I just haven't been paying enough attention. They also had a period of time where some of their y pipes would break at the welds for whatever reason, not sure if it was a small batch or not, but heard it a few times and even saw pictures. They wanted to make it big so bad, not sure what happened with the follow through. Like anything, they may have fixed the issues after their found, but i wouldn't know cause they don't advertise versions when something goes wrong like sbd does.

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 362 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15

Nobody talks about it lol, plenty of people who ride and die with the same shops/ people blow their shit to smithereens trying to be right about where they purchased their parts or who they picked. 

I'm sure you've heard rumblings of it, I know I have or see some of these poor bastards with 60-100k worth of mods and still can't get the times like your car can Tim lol.

a few of those high high hp cars for sale that seem like a deal of the lifetime, you know the ones stroker motors, 37+ sized turbos, etc. and are bottom dollar cheap, you ask the people associated  with the cars off the record they'll tell you some of the nightmares. 

In the end it really is just people can't be wrong, or can't say "I made a mistake (Like I did with mine lol), and should'a gone to the right shops and I'd have a 190-215mph 1/2 car that was daily drivable, instead I've got a shitbox that can't stay together or isn't worthy of being driven on a regular basis". 

There are quite a few people I'm itching to blast or see fail given their staunch stance on trying to be right lol, but its honestly not worth constant drama to blast people for no reason lol. If you're not out there waving a flag trying to get free parts, tunes, etc. or acting like you're the smarter then everyone else who did it right. Then I generally say leave you be to never know what could'a been lol

Purchase justification is the enemy of most of these GTR owners lol including some here lol

Dude took massive money from a member on battalion/life, and never delivered, then when asked to just cut his loss and give the car back shop said no. Believe its mid-civli litigation at the moment.

Edited by OuLikeBlueGTRs, 11 June 2017 - 09:21 AM.

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 8,647 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

Based on my research I haven't seen much from them as far as just their parts go other than Alex Ortegas car

Alex is a good friend of mine and I can tell you his AAM turbos were completely redone by another company. Plus his Carbee tune is what made him get the stock manifold record for a little bit.He now is running a BL 1300 kit and I know he wouldn't go back.

Straight up dude for stock manifold shit TSM has the field covered,there knocking on 7's with there shit.....INCREDIBLE!!!!!
  • thehelix112 likes this

mitsevo03

mitsevo03

Stock

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 03-February 16

Nobody talks about it lol, plenty of people who ride and die with the same shops/ people blow their shit to smithereens trying to be right about where they purchased their parts or who they picked.

I'm sure you've heard rumblings of it, I know I have or see some of these poor bastards with 60-100k worth of mods and still can't get the times like your car can Tim lol.

a few of those high high hp cars for sale that seem like a deal of the lifetime, you know the ones stroker motors, 37+ sized turbos, etc. and are bottom dollar cheap, you ask the people associated with the cars off the record they'll tell you some of the nightmares.

In the end it really is just people can't be wrong, or can't say "I made a mistake (Like I did with mine lol), and should'a gone to the right shops and I'd have a 190-215mph 1/2 car that was daily drivable, instead I've got a shitbox that can't stay together or isn't worthy of being driven on a regular basis".

There are quite a few people I'm itching to blast or see fail given their staunch stance on trying to be right lol, but its honestly not worth constant drama to blast people for no reason lol. If you're not out there waving a flag trying to get free parts, tunes, etc. or acting like you're the smarter then everyone else who did it right. Then I generally say leave you be to never know what could'a been lol

Purchase justification is the enemy of most of these GTR owners lol including some here lol

Dude took massive money from a member on battalion/life, and never delivered, then when asked to just cut his loss and give the car back shop said no. Believe its mid-civli litigation at the moment.

Wow that's crazy. I've never been one to believe anything I hear unless I put it all together myself and then still would just leave it be. I'm trying to be patient with my build here and make sure I'm making the right decisions and choosing the right people. My evo had became a nightmare after the stock motor let go. First shop was in concord nc and basically I wasted over 20 grand with them before all said and done due to a first motor failure which they blamed on somebody else. Next shop I took it to the guy couldn't tune aem so had to bring in a friend to get it right. That lasted for about 4 years then I wanted more power but then this time he swore he could do it himself but that didn't work out too good. Last shop did a great job on the car along with doing all the previous work on my gtr but I just feel like they aren't ready for what I'm looking to do on my gtr. I'm just trying to be careful and listen to everybody vs making my own claims
  • Tim likes this

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 362 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15

Wow that's crazy. I've never been one to believe anything I hear unless I put it all together myself and then still would just leave it be. I'm trying to be patient with my build here and make sure I'm making the right decisions and choosing the right people. My evo had became a nightmare after the stock motor let go. First shop was in concord nc and basically I wasted over 20 grand with them before all said and done due to a first motor failure which they blamed on somebody else. Next shop I took it to the guy couldn't tune aem so had to bring in a friend to get it right. That lasted for about 4 years then I wanted more power but then this time he swore he could do it himself but that didn't work out too good. Last shop did a great job on the car along with doing all the previous work on my gtr but I just feel like they aren't ready for what I'm looking to do on my gtr. I'm just trying to be careful and listen to everybody vs making my own claims

I did the same thing to, to save 10k on labor I went with friends recommendations over AMS and hadn't done enough research to decide on T1 [they just quietly do their thing lol], and when I was deciding back in 2014 it was the Jacks/SBD era where the loudest bullshit in the room was who everyone went with. Now my car ran great, still running great, but for the few thousands that I thought were savings were actually just pocketed cash, sloppy work or outright stupidity. 

Either way I learned, my R8 goes elsewhere and now I know to buy from a select few. 

So few can self reflect and say I was wrong, otherwise lots of vendors/shops would have to either change their practices or be run out of town.

• Tim and thehelix112 like this

mitsevo03

mitsevo03

Stock

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 03-February 16

I did the same thing to, to save 10k on labor I went with friends recommendations over AMS and hadn't done enough research to decide on T1 [they just quietly do their thing lol], and when I was deciding back in 2014 it was the Jacks/SBD era where the loudest bullshit in the room was who everyone went with. Now my car ran great, still running great, but for the few thousands that I thought were savings were actually just pocketed cash, sloppy work or outright stupidity.

Either way I learned, my R8 goes elsewhere and now I know to buy from a select few.

So few can self reflect and say I was wrong, otherwise lots of vendors/shops would have to either change their practices or be run out of town.

I can't count on my hands and feet how many have told me to stay away from jacks. Honestly tho coming from the evo game I already shep is where it's at
  • Tim, 7racer and OuLikeBlueGTRs like this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 8,647 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

I can't count on my hands and feet how many have told me to stay away from jacks. Honestly tho coming from the evo game I already shep is where it's at

Everybody knows I'm friends with THEE FAMOUS JOHN SHEPPARD...LOL INSIDE JOKE.:) He is as honest as they come and and really cares about his customers. He told me 3yrs ago which gears Jack was using why certain stuff wouldn't work or hold the TQ he was saying. I personally don't have anything against Jack but the way him and Riggs came in telling everybody how they were getting fucked just struck a nerve with me. Now all these GTR tax free builds are coming back to bite people in the ass as you will have a hard time selling the car and the problems associated with it.
I will say 1 thing I feel bad for Jack as he got fucked hard with no lube by Riggs and to my. Understanding he lost about 50k
That says it all
  • mitsevo03 likes this

mitsevo03

mitsevo03

Stock

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 03-February 16

Everybody knows I'm friends with THEE FAMOUS JOHN SHEPPARD...LOL INSIDE JOKE.:) He is as honest as they come and and really cares about his customers. He told me 3yrs ago which gears Jack was using why certain stuff wouldn't work or hold the TQ he was saying. I personally don't have anything against Jack but the way him and Riggs came in telling everybody how they were getting fucked just struck a nerve with me. Now all these GTR tax free builds are coming back to bite people in the ass as you will have a hard time selling the car and the problems associated with it.
I will say 1 thing I feel bad for Jack as he got fucked hard with no lube by Riggs and to my. Understanding he lost about 50k
That says it all

John definitely knows his shit when it comes to a transmission or any other drivetrain part. My t case on my evo was built by him 8 years ago and is still going strong. Yea I remember seeing all that unfolding with jack and chris. I don't have anything against jack but i don't have a problem paying a little more for something and it being good vs something that's gonna save me a few hundred bucks when your dropping 15k and it comes back on you. I've had a few friends with dsms and evos get jack stuff and it just didn't hold up to what was advertised. They ended up going with shep and no issues for several years running. I'm a strong believer in you get what you pay for. Jacks has some strong builds out there that I've read about but I would just rather go a much more proven route with less issues
  • Tim and fnsh1st like this

J5isalive

J5isalive

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 370 posts
  • Joined 27-September 13

POPULAR

Just to add a little poke to this thread.... I may have gone to the track on Friday. Don't remember how many runs I did, 6-8 probably... well, all were 8 second passes except one and even that was a mid nine at 160mph, haha. The nine second pass was an anomaly, tried to use the new Cobb release and it didn't build any boost off the line so it was like a 1.9 second 60ft.

8.7 @ 162-164... over and over and over again.

Oh a little side fact... all those 8 second passes were on a FULL tank of gas, haha. Like an idiot I showed up with 1/2 tank of ethanol content of e50 and it took a lot of e98 to get it above 70%

I LOVE MY CAR!!!!!
  • Tim, 7racer, thehelix112 and 2 others like this

mitsevo03

mitsevo03

Stock

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 03-February 16

Just to add a little poke to this thread.... I may have gone to the track on Friday. Don't remember how many runs I did, 6-8 probably... well, all were 8 second passes except one and even that was a mid nine at 160mph, haha. The nine second pass was an anomaly, tried to use the new Cobb release and it didn't build any boost off the line so it was like a 1.9 second 60ft.

8.7 @ 162-164... over and over and over again.

Oh a little side fact... all those 8 second passes were on a FULL tank of gas, haha. Like an idiot I showed up with 1/2 tank of ethanol content of e50 and it took a lot of e98 to get it above 70%

I LOVE MY CAR!!!!!

That is awesome. Every damn bit of it!!! This is the elite plus kit or just the elite? Where you located if you don't mind me asking? I'm in nc. I know a ton of guys did the 1/2 mile stuff in Stanley county that were elite cars

J5isalive

J5isalive

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 370 posts
  • Joined 27-September 13

That is awesome. Every damn bit of it!!! This is the elite plus kit or just the elite? Where you located if you don't mind me asking? I'm in nc. I know a ton of guys did the 1/2 mile stuff in Stanley county that were elite cars

I am in Georgia.  I live close to Topspeed Motorsports.     My car is an elite plus build,  check my build thread in the other section of the forum.

• mitsevo03 likes this

mitsevo03

mitsevo03

Stock

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 03-February 16

I am in Georgia. I live close to Topspeed Motorsports. My car is an elite plus build, check my build thread in the other section of the forum.

Haha I just read your build thread. It sounds fun as hell and I can't wait. I'm just doing the elites on mine but will still be a nice jump from 650. I wish I lived that close it would make this a lot easier on me lol

Dv8

Dv8

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • Joined 14-March 13

AAM were one of the first aftermarket shops to come out with signifigant parts for the GTR in '09. They were well known to the 350/G35 crowd moving into a GTR. They had a strong following through '12. I owned their AAM900s for a couple years and pushed them to a 9.2(record). They generally did good work but, how they handled their shortfalls stuck to them badly. As a result of all this i got a good deal on race cooler and 3582 turbo kit. This was all before the stock manifold arms race. I mean Bill(SiR) had his killer 1-4 stage setups on steves car, but everyone else was doing aftermarket manifolds. Switzer was doing some odd ball stock manifold setups but otherwise aftermarket manifold dominated for a couple years... Until Xona started to release their turbo tech.

Nearly 10 years of the GTR aftermarket R&D, top shops are still standing with their accolades. Honestly this is the absolute best time to be a new GTR owner. Its a one stop shop for incredible gains at the least amount of GTR tax, as J5 has mentioned. If i wasent keen on doing everything myself because i enjoyed the process(hobby), I would of employed a known shop to do the build, but working on all these local GTRs as a result of learning and gaining my own  experience is the main reason i now have an over built gtr that i cant wait to drive. I havent gotten an 8.9 yet but i also havent pushed past 32psi. I realize i cant 60' these turbos on dr's. Its time to turn it up.

get the pluses man spend the extra cash.

~Dv8

• Tim and mitsevo03 like this

6/25/17 8.94 @164MPH |186MPH 1/2M AAM900R

Black Obsidian GT-R Equilibrium Tuning Built, Manley Bottomend|AAM3582R|AAM RIC|Custom Midpipe|Stock Exhaust|Kelford B|SiR2k|Fore 3 Pump|

Jacks Trans Billet Drag950|EcuTek-Ronnie@RDE Tuned|RPM 8pt. cage| NHRA Licenced GTR 8.5

mitsevo03

mitsevo03

Stock

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 03-February 16

AAM were one of the first aftermarket shops to come out with signifigant parts for the GTR in '09. They were well known to the 350/G35 crowd moving into a GTR. They had a strong following through '12. I owned their AAM900s for a couple years and pushed them to a 9.2(record). They generally did good work but, how they handled their shortfalls stuck to them badly. As a result of all this i got a good deal on race cooler and 3582 turbo kit. This was all before the stock manifold arms race. I mean Bill(SiR) had his killer 1-4 stage setups on steves car, but everyone else was doing aftermarket manifolds. Switzer was doing some odd ball stock manifold setups but otherwise aftermarket manifold dominated for a couple years... Until Xona started to release their turbo tech.
Nearly 10 years of the GTR aftermarket R&D, top shops are still standing with their accolades. Honestly this is the absolute best time to be a new GTR owner. Its a one stop shop for incredible gains at the least amount of GTR tax, as J5 has mentioned. If i wasent keen on doing everything myself because i enjoyed the process(hobby), I would of employed a known shop to do the build, but working on all these local GTRs as a result of learning and gaining my own experience is the main reason i now have an over built gtr that i cant wait to drive. I havent gotten an 8.9 yet but i also havent pushed past 32psi. I realize i cant 60' these turbos on dr's. Its time to turn it up.

~Dv8

Oh ok yea that makes sense. I had a 350z when they first came out for 3 weeks until my ex girlfriend rear ended me. Ever since then I've been a mitsu fan. That would explain why I didn't know anything of aam. Yea these stock turbo upgrades have came a long way just in the 2 years I've had my gtr. I'll probably just go with the elites for the time being and if I upgrade from there it'll be something huge, laggy as hell but acceleration would snap my neck lol. I love the hobby of doing the cars myself but with my work and family I just don't have time to get it done in a timely manner.
  • Tim likes this

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 362 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15

Nearly 10 years of the GTR aftermarket R&D, top shops are still standing with their accolades. Honestly this is the absolute best time to be a new GTR owner. Its a one stop shop for incredible gains at the least amount of GTR tax, as J5 has mentioned. If i wasent keen on doing everything myself because i enjoyed the process(hobby), I would of employed a known shop to do the build, but working on all these local GTRs as a result of learning and gaining my own  experience is the main reason i now have an over built gtr that i cant wait to drive. I havent gotten an 8.9 yet but i also havent pushed past 32psi. I realize i cant 60' these turbos on dr's. Its time to turn it up.

~Dv8

Agree people are saving so much money, a mutual friend who has an R8, Huracan, and Rs7 who kept his GTR early on paid like 10k+ for 600hp between 2009-11.

Even when I joined the scene the GT800 kit was the most reasonable turbo change, and then within a few months stock manifolds gutted that kits value lol. Really is a great time to modify a GTR, or like I'm trying to do and I thank some of the members, buy one thats already done and someones enjoyed with the right parts. 

• Tim, 7racer and mitsevo03 like this

mitsevo03

mitsevo03

Stock

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 03-February 16

Agree people are saving so much money, a mutual friend who has an R8, Huracan, and Rs7 who kept his GTR early on paid like 10k+ for 600hp between 2009-11.

Even when I joined the scene the GT800 kit was the most reasonable turbo change, and then within a few months stock manifolds gutted that kits value lol. Really is a great time to modify a GTR, or like I'm trying to do and I thank some of the members, buy one thats already done and someones enjoyed with the right parts.

Yea so much has changed since the beginning of this market. People always scream gtr tax and costs are much higher but at the end of the day look at the car your modding and the shops time and money that has gone into development. These aren't your civics lol. I think we are at the point where the stock frame upgrades are all any "normal" person needs. So many great options and reliable. I got lucky and bought most of my fbo stuff used and saved a ton. 10k is ridiculous for 600
  • Tim and OuLikeBlueGTRs like this

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 362 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15

Yea so much has changed since the beginning of this market. People always scream gtr tax and costs are much higher but at the end of the day look at the car your modding and the shops time and money that has gone into development. These aren't your civics lol. I think we are at the point where the stock frame upgrades are all any "normal" person needs. So many great options and reliable. I got lucky and bought most of my fbo stuff used and saved a ton. 10k is ridiculous for 600

Most of the guys who spent the money buying one thats already done don't abuse it and if they do use what they built they maintain it properly. I don't have the slightest worry, buying a big built AMS/ T1 car given the clientele and people involved. 

• Tim and mitsevo03 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users