Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Billet heads

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

mikelmarion

mikelmarion

Stage 2 Member

• 227 posts
  • Joined 31-March 17
So was curious about why these would benefit the Gtr. Martin had mentioned them in the billet block thread. He said that the driveline would have to catch up first.

I was wondering how would these benefit the Gtr? Less weight? Able to run direct and port injection? Bigger intake and exuast valves?

How would these be better than a typical stage 3ish head?
  • Mattson and RobChoky like this

changster

changster

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,302 posts
  • Joined 26-January 13
  • LocationBay Area + Taipei

I don't get why we need direct injection.

• shawnhayes likes this

- 4.4 liter Alpha 12 built by TSM (R.I.P)
- 4.1 liter ER/ETS 6466 built myself with the help of everyone.

- 4.2 liter billet block <? big boy kit> coming.

13180940063_33e81c30d6_z.jpg

mikelmarion

mikelmarion

Stage 2 Member

• 227 posts
  • Joined 31-March 17

Not saying that it's needed, but it seems to produce more power and allow for higher cp ratios on pump gas.

My point is how would billet heads benefit the Gtr? I can't see how they would make more power than everyone's ported heads. Direct and port injection combined is the only way I can think of

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,059 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

We don't.  DI is about efficiency.  If you don't care about MPG or the tricks needed to produce more power on pump gas then screw it.  DI is so that a 2.0 liter four cylinder with a turbocharger and a supercharger can make 345 horsepower and get 26MPG (Volvo).

Shawn

Carmiwrx

Carmiwrx

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 616 posts
  • Joined 15-March 13
  • LocationClarkesville, GA

We don't. DI is about efficiency. If you don't care about MPG or the tricks needed to produce more power on pump gas then screw it. DI is so that a 2.0 liter four cylinder with a turbocharger and a supercharger can make 345 horsepower and get 26MPG (Volvo).

Shawn

I did read somewhere (don't quote me) that the DI systems had a lower knock propensity vs standard injection systems. So, thats one good thing that would help.
RIP: C. O, E. H., C.S-K.

I popped my motor after 4yrs and 8k miles which all of them were hard miles like a dude fucking his first piece of pussy after doing 5yrs in the joint. -Tim S.

GTR heritage - come get some!

Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,748 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
I would think the purpose of a billet head would be to allow better porting without sacrificing the strength of the cooling passages and exhaust divider walls, which can crack if you overdo it currently.

Doug Ross
Owner of Weapons Grade Performance
-Northeast/Pacific Northwest Shops where we ONLY work on GT-Rs
-Owner/Builder of the 1st Ever Home Garage GT-R Drivetrain Removal
Cobb Protuner / EcuTek Tuner
-All Wheel Drive Mustang Dyno in House
doug@weaponsgradeperformance.com
Our Online Store
East Coast Location 226 N. Plains Industrial Rd, Wallingford CT 06492 203-668-4765

JustinOlson

JustinOlson

Stock

• Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Joined 16-February 16

The driving factor for billet heads is going to be deck stability at extreme high cylinder pressures...

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,059 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

I did read somewhere (don't quote me) that the DI systems had a lower knock propensity vs standard injection systems. So, thats one good thing that would help.

You are exactly right, but that feeds from exactly what I was talking about. Knock is from lean condition, and DI is much better at avoiding that. But you can get it right with port.

Shawn

mikelmarion

mikelmarion

Stage 2 Member

• 227 posts
  • Joined 31-March 17

hopefully, Martin can chime in since he is the one making them

BAZ007

BAZ007

Stage 4 Member

• 834 posts
  • Joined 24-January 15

hopefully, Martin can chime in since he is the one making them

Pretty sure WillAll are making Billet heads for the TT Lambo crowd, not the GTR as of yet the stock heads seem to be holding well.

• mikelmarion likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,059 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

I would think the purpose of a billet head would be to allow better porting without sacrificing the strength of the cooling passages and exhaust divider walls, which can crack if you overdo it currently.

You're very likely correct Doug.

My only reason for even being in this thread (me all stock block and turbo's and all) is about the direct injection.  It's a great whizzbang for small engines to get much higher horsepower without knock, but unnecessary in this application.  Not BAD, per se, just unnecessary.

Shawn

• mikelmarion likes this

mikelmarion

mikelmarion

Stage 2 Member

• 227 posts
  • Joined 31-March 17

Pretty sure WillAll are making Billet heads for the TT Lambo crowd, not the GTR as of yet the stock heads seem to be holding well.

You're very likely correct Doug.

My only reason for even being in this thread (me all stock block and turbo's and all) is about the direct injection.  It's a great whizzbang for small engines to get much higher horsepower without knock, but unnecessary in this application.  Not BAD, per se, just unnecessary.

Shawn

I was just curious as to how billet heads would be of any upgrade over the stock heads.  Only way i could  think of was adding direct injection with port.  Otherwise, not sure how they would make more power.  Or their purpose. Has anyone blown apart stock heads?

Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,748 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
Interestingly some of the mustang and ecoboost crowd are making direct injection delete kits to put the cars back to standard port injection...

Doug Ross
Owner of Weapons Grade Performance
-Northeast/Pacific Northwest Shops where we ONLY work on GT-Rs
-Owner/Builder of the 1st Ever Home Garage GT-R Drivetrain Removal
Cobb Protuner / EcuTek Tuner
-All Wheel Drive Mustang Dyno in House
doug@weaponsgradeperformance.com
Our Online Store
East Coast Location 226 N. Plains Industrial Rd, Wallingford CT 06492 203-668-4765

Jimefam

Jimefam

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 523 posts
  • Joined 18-February 13
Most of the DI crowd that want big power need to get rid of it because there arent good solutions for a high pressure fuel pump that flows what you need for big power or ethanol. But DI is better in every way if you could sufficiently fuel it. Its not just better mpg its much better knock control and fueling as the pressure leads to better atomization as well as being able to spray fuel during the compression stroke which is huge for knock prevention. Thats why you see new bmws running big boost and high conpression (10.5:1) and doing well with 91 octane.

As far as billet heads for the GTR justin said it. As long as they can stay clamped down and not crack or warp oem heads will be fine, when and if that happens then billet would be better. As far as flow goes and better porting i doubt it would justify the cost of billet heads for that reason alone. Stock heads flow very well.
  • mikelmarion likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,059 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Most of the DI crowd that want big power need to get rid of it because there arent good solutions for a high pressure fuel pump that flows what you need for big power or ethanol. But DI is better in every way if you could sufficiently fuel it. Its not just better mpg its much better knock control and fueling as the pressure leads to better atomization as well as being able to spray fuel during the compression stroke which is huge for knock prevention. Thats why you see new bmws running big boost and high conpression (10.5:1) and doing well with 91 octane.

As far as billet heads for the GTR justin said it. As long as they can stay clamped down and not crack or warp oem heads will be fine, when and if that happens then billet would be better. As far as flow goes and better porting i doubt it would justify the cost of billet heads for that reason alone. Stock heads flow very well.

Agreed. The problem with DI is not just hard to find high flow pumps that push the psi needed, but that run cool and can keep up. The other problem is valve deposits. Fuel helps keep valves clean. DI engines are having a shitton of problems with deposits unless they have stock air:oil separators. Especially the turbo ones with oil vapor coming into the intake tract under compression.

I'm not dogging DI in general, it's just another first world problem to solve. Port injection is cheaper and easier to make big power on - now. Just like carborated cars used to be easier to make big power on versus fuel injected. It took the market and science years to catch up, but now we have.

DI problems will get solved later, and it is inherently more controllable, but as I said before - for the GT-R, there is no need to add it - for now. That will also be very hard, not to mention expensive.

Shawn
  • BAZ007 and mikelmarion like this

CasualObserver

CasualObserver

Stage 4 Member

• 611 posts
  • Joined 11-August 14
Many more recent cars have port AND DI injectors. The Huracan for instance. You end up with great knock control and limitation of valve deposits of port injection.
  • BAZ007 and mikelmarion like this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,059 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Many more recent cars have port AND DI injectors. The Huracan for instance. You end up with great knock control and limitation of valve deposits of port injection.

The best of both worlds.

Downside: complex fueling tables. Harder to tune.

Upside: redundant fuel system, if done properly. Failure may not be catastrophic.

Shawn
  • mikelmarion likes this

Blade30

Blade30

Stage 1 Member

• 196 posts
  • Joined 19-July 14
DI huge issue on Porsche 997.2tt/991.1tt cars
It is really sux plus the extra injector will be stupid expensive

changster

changster

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,302 posts
  • Joined 26-January 13
  • LocationBay Area + Taipei

DI huge issue on Porsche 997.2tt/991.1tt cars
It is really sux plus the extra injector will be stupid expensive

What does "huge issue" mean?

What really sucks?

Why are extra injectors stupid expensive? ID's are cheap.

- 4.4 liter Alpha 12 built by TSM (R.I.P)
- 4.1 liter ER/ETS 6466 built myself with the help of everyone.

- 4.2 liter billet block <? big boy kit> coming.

13180940063_33e81c30d6_z.jpg

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,174 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Ids aren't a direct injector though right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users