Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

DBA Traction Control Benefits

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Steven

Steven

Stock

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 18-April 15
I've always heard that DBA cars have a separate traction control computer that makes them more advanced. I know that DBA cars are launched in R mode with the VDC-ON, where-as CBA cars are normally launched VDC-OFF to keep from bogging. Aside from running drag radials/slicks on a CBA, are DBA cars running faster 60' times? It seems like I see more DBA cars running 9s in the 1/4 on R888 tires. I am curious if its the traction control that is causing this, or if the engine/trans/turbo upgrades are more capable now. (plus there are more DBA cars out there now)

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,548 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
I wonder if it even matters after you flash it with custom tuning. I know for sure the suspension settings differ from CBA and DBA and this has some changes in how it acts from what I remembered reading, but don't remember any specifics.

Steven

Steven

Stock

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 18-April 15
Exactly. Is the traction control on a DBA better when both tuned? I've been told that the CBA can have TC setup even while the VDC is off, but does that put it to a DBA level. Most of the CBA upgrades are easily done to bring them to par with newer GT-Rs, except for chassis changes and computer changes. Does having a separate TC computer make it work better?

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 851 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
The system itself is different. Whether one is better than the other usually comes down to who tuned it.

IIRC the DBA has a stand alone VDC module where the CBA has the logic contained in the TCM.

Edited by droptopp, 19 May 2017 - 05:43 PM.

Using Tapatalk

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,620 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
From a road course perspective, they are miles apart between CBA and DBA when the VDC is in R mode. The DBA is much more forgiving, where the CBA cuts power and applies brakes during every little incident, bump, uneven surface, etc...
  • 7racer likes this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,641 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Okay, CBA and DBA have SLIGHTLY different traction controls.  They are BOTH contained in the ABS pump under the hood.  Both DBA and CBA have transmission programming that HELPS with both modules (power pull, etc.)

The CBA came with the most modern available logic at that time.  The DBA is a SIGNIFICANTLY upgraded unit and used to cost A LOT more than the CBA unit (original OEM - $800 CBA, $1200 DBA).  The unit is prone to failure in BOTH cars.  The CBA unit had some buggy code in it, and held the car back way too much.  The downhill logic was much worse.

I know NickTO had installed one in his CBA.  The rumor was that it required an upgrade to the DBA ecu.  I now have independent confirmation that the DBA unit WILL WORK plug and play on the CBA car.  If they work the same, I cannot confirm.  There will be signals on the CANBUS the DBA unit will be looking for that won't be there, and it will also be sending signals that won't be picked up.  But I know when installed it will control the car and ABS properly.  But maybe not all the fancy smancy around the corner and down the hill stuff, but if anything it will be really CLOSE and at least up to CBA standards.  This is also convenient because the CBA unit was prone to failures, and the DBA unit seems better and more robust.   It is also now cheaper.  The CBA unit is now rare and expensive.

Shawn

• thehelix112, elf_cruiser and mikelmarion like this

Steven

Steven

Stock

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 18-April 15
Thank you! That's a lot of great information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users