Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2018 Posrche GT3 laps the Ring in 7:12.7

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

descartesfool

descartesfool

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 832 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

POPULAR

Pretty damn quick. Still 2 seconds slower than the new AMG GT-R's time of 7:10, but man these new cars are getting fast on track. Wonder when they will come out with a new GT3 RS and what it will do?

On board:

https://player.vimeo...video/215996945

Porsche factory speak:

https://player.vimeo...video/216007320

test from here: http://blog.caranddr...old-gt3s-video/

At the world premiere of the new track-focused 911 GT3 at the Geneva auto show, Porsche’s GT chief, Andreas Preuninger, said that the core of the GT3 is to be an entertaining car that involves its driver and addresses the senses. But the GT3 can affect pride and ego, too. On the Nürburgring, good is never good enough; the 2018 GT3 has just bested its predecessor’s lap time by more than 12 seconds, with a time of 7:12.7.

Although it looks similar, the $144,650 991.2 GT3 is improved in just about every performance aspect. According to Porsche, the car has 20 percent more downforce than the previous model while maintaining the same coefficient of drag. Such a feat was accomplished primarily by resculpting the front end and optimizing that big ol’ rear wing.

Under the hood is a version of the high-revving flat-six engine found in the GT3 Cup race car. A new crankshaft, a new intake system, a new cylinder head, and a new valvetrain work together to create a claimed 500 horsepower at 8250 rpm and 339 lb-ft of torque. Porsche lists weight at 3153 pounds and says the car can sprint from zero to 60 mph in 3.2 seconds. The previous GT3 was PDK only, and the new example that ran the time was equipped with the seven-speed PDK automatic transmission, too—don’t worry, you can buy a manual!—as well as the standard rear-axle steering setup and Michelin Sport Cup 2 N1 tires. Porsche test driver Lars Kern was behind the wheel.

If the 7:12.7 time is accurate, the GT3 is one of the 10 fastest production cars ever to run the ‘Ring. Of course, it cannot claim the title as the fastest Porsche to run the Nordschleife. That honor belongs to the already legendary 918 Spyder, which lapped the Green Hell in 6 minutes, 57 seconds flat.

• Tim, icarus, forty-two and 2 others like this

changster

changster

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,258 posts
  • Joined 26-January 13
  • LocationBay Area + Taipei

This car is seriously amazing. I'm so impressed by it. I've seen how fast the .1 GT3's and .1 GT3RS's are at my local track. This car has their true motorsport engine from the RSR unlike the .1's. It's kinda like the revered Metzger back in the 997 generation how it was a true motorsports engine from their racing program.

• 7racer likes this

- 4.4 liter Alpha 12 built by TSM (R.I.P)
- 4.1 liter ER/ETS 6466 built myself with the help of everyone.

- 4.2 liter billet block <? big boy kit> coming.

13180940063_33e81c30d6_z.jpg

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,559 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
the gt3 is usually the slowest one around the ring. congrats to them. the race to 6min

the more I read about this the more I think about the r36... knowing that Nissan/nismo are currently not interested in ring times. I wonder if the r36 will be go back to beat Porsche at the ring or if that era is now done?
  • thehelix112 likes this

Biff_Malibu

Biff_Malibu

Stage 4 Member

• 627 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14
  • LocationLos Angeles

Shit is real. 

2015 Nissan GT-R NISMO

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,662 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

New production cars are getting seriously quick.  Thinking about a new one....

Shawn

• 7racer and mikelmarion like this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,937 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

New production cars are getting seriously quick. Thinking about a new one....

Shawn

For track use?!?!?!
  • shawnhayes likes this

In7anity!!

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,662 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

For track use?!?!?!

Yep. 2014 track editions have come down A LOT.  Many examples available out there.  Also been thinking about out of the GT-R line, but that bothers me - for all the reasons I chose the GT-R in the first place.  But....

Shawn

• 7racer likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,662 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Yep. 2014 track editions have come down A LOT.  Many examples available out there.  Also been thinking about out of the GT-R line, but that bothers me - for all the reasons I chose the GT-R in the first place.  But....

Shawn

but...

http://www.gtrherita...lysis/?p=125468

She's still good.  I think she'll make it to 100,000 without a rebuild, but I'm not sure about the turbos.  Nor am I sure that she can make it with this level of fuel dilution continuing.

Shawn

descartesfool

descartesfool

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 832 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

AMG GT-R, only $157k, and you don't need any options, unlike a new GT3 at $143k, plus way more luxury, and faster round the RIng, and a whole lot more exclusive. What's not to like, except the price perhaps.

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,937 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

AMG GT-R, only $157k, and you don't need any options, unlike a new GT3 at $143k, plus way more luxury, and faster round the RIng, and a whole lot more exclusive. What's not to like, except the price perhaps.

Are they easy to get or is it tough like a GT3?

The new Corvette could be a killer bang for the buck?

In7anity!!

descartesfool

descartesfool

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 832 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

Are they easy to get or is it tough like a GT3?

The new Corvette could be a killer bang for the buck?

They are tough to get, like the GT3. I'm trying to get one and trade in my GTS I just got last May for it, but dealer has to get an allocation for me, and that is tough. Limited supply, super high worldwide demand compared to production, which is low. Special carbon bits it comes with like roof, front fenders, aero parts and other special hard parts are in limited supply. If he does, it's mine. I know cars for US have just arrived in port and are awaiting some kind of DOT or other certification, so no one has one yet in NA. Car to be released in June I think, or so the rumor goes.

• 7racer and thehelix112 like this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,726 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

They are tough to get, like the GT3. I'm trying to get one and trade in my GTS I just got last May for it, but dealer has to get an allocation for me, and that is tough. Limited supply, super high worldwide demand compared to production, which is low. Special carbon bits it comes with like roof, front fenders, aero parts and other special hard parts are in limited supply. If he does, it's mine. I know cars for US have just arrived in port and are awaiting some kind of DOT or other certification, so no one has one yet in NA. Car to be released in June I think, or so the rumor goes.

Nice! Here's hoping it goes your way.

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,662 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Yeah, I like that a lot.  But, I've only had one $150k car my whole life, and that was the i8, and the only way I could justify it was the tax credit and the dramatic decrease in fuel cost.

And I still let that one go, for a Volvo XC90 Excellence.  Same drivetrain concept, just backwards (and more power), I get the tax credit AGAIN, and its a shitton easier to get in and out of (and the wife will get in and out of it with a dress on).

A used Mercedes GT-S, or a used 911 Turbo S is probably my best bet.

Shawn

• ian.r, HiBoost and Evolunchbox like this

descartesfool

descartesfool

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 832 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

Yeah, I like that a lot.  But, I've only had one $150k car my whole life, and that was the i8, and the only way I could justify it was the tax credit and the dramatic decrease in fuel cost.

And I still let that one go, for a Volvo XC90 Excellence.  Same drivetrain concept, just backwards (and more power), I get the tax credit AGAIN, and its a shitton easier to get in and out of (and the wife will get in and out of it with a dress on).

Shawn

GT-S is a phenomenal car. Go test drive one, put it in Race mode. Killer.

• ian.r and thehelix112 like this

changster

changster

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,258 posts
  • Joined 26-January 13

I second a used GTS for the track/street car. Also, 991.1 GT3's here has now depreciated 25% from MSRP new on a 7k mi car. 

My only gripe with the AMG GTS/GTR is its weight. It's still heavy. Weight is still king on the track IMO.

• ian.r likes this

changster

changster

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,258 posts
  • Joined 26-January 13

Jethro is still my fav car reviewer. He's a great driver, honest, and delivers the right emotions. Too many reviewers are super fake.

https://drivetribe.c....S6O95Diby3LwtA

What a car.

• thehelix112 likes this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,937 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

that link didn't work for me for some reason

In7anity!!

changster

changster

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,258 posts
  • Joined 26-January 13
https://drivetribe.c...fT_SdXZu7as9xuA

This?
  • 7racer likes this

ATL_GT-R

ATL_GT-R

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 683 posts
  • Joined 20-December 12

Funny, I could have told people that spent $500k+ on a 911R that they were idiots a year ago.

This will likely be my first Pcar.

• changster and thehelix112 like this

TSM l '10 Alpha12

'14 Midnight Opal

'02 Azure

'16 Gwag

Jon H

Jon H

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

I used to dream of a euro delivery experience with a GT3, but now.. not so much. Recently bought a CPO 2015 991.1 GT3 and kind of miss my 100k mile GT-R already. I can definitely see myself back in another GT-R some day. This new car sounds promising, though. 

• changster, 7racer, thehelix112 and 1 other like this

2015 GT3

2013 GT-R (Sold)

BW CW13 - 1:50.6 https://youtu.be/CFau6MhJHa4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users