Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Alpha Performance R35 Race Oil Filter Adapter Plate

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,494 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago

Alpha_r35_oil_adapter_ex.jpg

https://www.amsperfo...pter-plate.html

Introducing the Alpha Performance R35 GT-R Race Oil Filter Adapter. Our adapter was designed for use in high RPM and high horsepower racing and street applications. It allows for the use of a quality racing oil filter in the stock location to protect your GT-R’s engine even in the harshest conditions.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Added Protection for Your High Horsepower GT-R Motor
In our testing of the stock filter in high RPM GT-R engine we were experiencing collapsed oil filter media, ballooned oil filter casings, and no or little filtration due to the bypass valve being open to the increased pressure differential of the oil filter. This was simply unacceptable.
Increased Horsepower Demands Increased Protection
Our high RPM and high horsepower Alpha Performance engine builds use thicker 15w/50 motor oil, and are spinning at 2000 RPM over stock. This required a purpose designed filter for the increased flow and pressure seen in our Alpha applications. Introducing the Alpha Performance R35 GT-R Race Oil Filter Adapter. Our adapter was designed for use in high horsepower racing and street applications. It allows for the use of a quality racing oil filter in the stock location to protect your GT-R’s engine even in the harshest conditions.
A Purpose Designed Filter
The filter chosen is designed for racing applications, perfect for high RPM, thicker oil viscosities, and more oil flow. The GT-R performance world can no longer use the factory oil filters for these applications. The oil filter adapter was designed to allow the use of a widely used filter size.
Have piece of mind knowing that your high horsepower GT-R has a race proven filter protecting your investment. Order the Alpha Performance R35 GT-R Race Oil Filter Adapter Kit Today!

Exclusive Benefits
Increased Engine Protection
Machined out of Aerospace Grade Aluminum
High Flow Race Oil Filter
Increased Oil Capacity
Notes:
This filter does not have an integrated bypass. Routine service and inspection is mandatory to catch and/or prevent any issues.
WIX Racing Oil Filter Part # 51060R
“WIX Racing Oil Filters offer great filtration with better flow in a strong steel housing. With a filtration media that removes 94% more dirt from oil than other filters, you still get a 28 to 30 gpm flow rating.
Features
Flow Rate: 28-30 gallons per minute
Removes 94% more dirt than comparable filters
All-steel perforated core prevents filter collapse
All-steel construction provides over 500 psi burst strength”

Oil Filter Thread Pitch 13/16-16
Max Height 5.17” if using Alpha dual pass radiator. Slight trimming of the radiator hose to draw it closer to the radiator fan may be needed depending on vehicle fitment.  Longer filters may be used with the use of a standard radiator, measurements of your specific vehicle will need to be made first to make sure the longer oil filter has clearance.
Max Filter Case OD 3.700”
Max Filter Seal OD 3.550”
Min Filter Seal ID 2.200”
The oil filter adapter was designed to allow the use of a widely used filter size. A basic list of oil filters was also supplied so a filter can be chosen based on a specific application. Filter size, anti-drain back valve, bypass valve, and filtration media are all options for the end user.

Just saw this on IG.

• BAZ007 likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,438 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13
Let's be real clear, this is for race motors only. Not the plate, but the filter.

Race filters are for race motors. High rpm high oil pressure trailer queens. Many of the cars ams builds meet this characteristic. And this is a damn good product for them.

For street use, you need a street filter. But, at track speeds and throttle, street filters are mostly in "bypass" mode - and aren't filtering at all. Your motor lets go in this mode, and kaboom. Motor parts in your oil pumped through unfiltered.

In my opinion, this is a great product, but if you drive it on he street in between races, install a regular wix filter that fits the plate (there are plenty). The street filters filter much much better at normal pressures and rpm. If you drive a frequently rebuilt and raced trailer queen, then have at it and use the race filter all the time. This is better for your application anyway.

Shawn
  • changster and BAZ007 like this

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,261 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
What are the downsides to using this on the street if you change oil frequently?

Tony1

Tony1

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 808 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12

Shawn, we've been doing this in house for a long time now, and have a similar kit in the works.   The kit pictured uses the WIX racing filter, but there are tons of options in this fitment.   For a more street car application we use the WIX XP filter.   I think a conversion like this is beneficial for anyone running thicker oil than Nissan specs the engine for.   There's literally no downside if you aren't using the racing filter.   More filter surface area is never a bad thing. 

• changster and BAZ007 like this

T1racedevelopment.com

Injectordynamics.com

214-607-9022

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,438 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

What are the downsides to using this on the street if you change oil frequently?

Poor filtration. While the wix racing filter has pretty good filtration, it's only 94%. $2.00 fram filters are 98%. Easy to solve. Just put a big wix filter that fits the plate in between races. Great filtration during street time, and failsafe filtration during the race.

Shawn
  • BAZ007 and pgordon888 like this

2highpsi

2highpsi

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 772 posts
  • Joined 06-December 13
  • LocationCambridge, OH

Shawn, we've been doing this in house for a long time now, and have a similar kit in the works.   The kit pictured uses the WIX racing filter, but there are tons of options in this fitment.   For a more street car application we use the WIX XP filter.   I think a conversion like this is beneficial for anyone running thicker oil than Nissan specs the engine for.   There's literally no downside if you aren't using the racing filter.   More filter surface area is never a bad thing. 

Poor filtration. While the wix racing filter has pretty good filtration, it's only 94%. $2.00 fram filters are 98%. Easy to solve. Just put a big wix filter that fits the plate in between races. Great filtration during street time, and failsafe filtration during the race.

Shawn

Damn it guys.  Two people I trust for giving EXCELLENT advice are posting contradictory information here. lol

Edit:  After re-reading maybe it's not actually contradictory.  It seems like Tony is agreeing on the fact that street cars maybe shouldn't use the racing filter, and using the WIX XP is the answer.

Edited by 2highpsi, 20 April 2017 - 08:22 PM.

2014 Deep Blue Pearl Track Edition GT-R Alpha 10  #80 of 160

Tony1

Tony1

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 808 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12

Yes, a filter that fits your requirements/desires is definitely available, it's a very common fitment.  Shawn was talking about the filter pictured specifically. 

• BAZ007 likes this

T1racedevelopment.com

Injectordynamics.com

214-607-9022

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,438 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Damn it guys. Two people I trust for giving EXCELLENT advice are posting contradictory information here. lol

Read carefully 2high. It's the same advice.

This is a great bit of kit. Bigger filter = better. Always.

That being said, the wix race filter is designed for high flow at all times with a small sacrifice in filtration. If you race, this is great.

If you just use a regular wix filter that fits the new baseplate between races (or all the time if you just want a bigger filter), there is NO DOWNSIDE.

Shawn
  • BAZ007 likes this

2highpsi

2highpsi

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 772 posts
  • Joined 06-December 13
  • LocationCambridge, OH

lol, Yeah Shawn, you caught my post pre-edit.  You ninja.

I run Amsoil 5w-40 mid saps, in an AMS longblock that I believe has some sort of oil pump mod (higher pressure) and make 1100 ish whp.

Car is on the street a lot of the time.  Sometimes taking kids to school, sometimes making pulls.  Go to the 1/4 miles 5-6 times a year. 

What filter would you put on the car Tony?  The WIX XP?

Edited by 2highpsi, 20 April 2017 - 08:28 PM.

• Mattson likes this

Tony1

Tony1

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 808 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12

I like the XP, but Shawn is much more of an expert in this department than I am!

• BAZ007 likes this

T1racedevelopment.com

Injectordynamics.com

214-607-9022

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,438 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

I like the XP, but Shawn is much more of an expert in this department than I am!

I'm with Tony on this one. The wix XP is superb filter. I have been using the Nismo for the last several years, but the xp is actually slightly better (but the Nismo flows A LiTTLE more).

Put the xp on for street use, and switch to the racing filter for the 1/4 or a Dyno pull.

But, honestly, if you're going to rebuild every 2-3 years? Screw it. The racing filter will be fine. Filters from the 70's-80's were 90-95% on the referenced test. Modern filters and engines are designed for 100,000 plus miles. They last much longer now partially because of the oiling systems. The oils we have available now and filters make the shit we had in the 70's look like toilet paper filters. Honestly, cheap super tech oil off the shelf at wal-Mart is better than Mobil-1 that came along in the late 70's. We really live in the automotive Shangri-La now.

Shawn
  • 2highpsi and BAZ007 like this

2highpsi

2highpsi

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 772 posts
  • Joined 06-December 13
  • LocationCambridge, OH

I certainly don't plan on rebuilding every few years.  lol

Thanks for the advice guys!  WIX XP it is for now!

changster

changster

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,124 posts
  • Joined 26-January 13
  • LocationBay Area + Taipei

How about in dry sump cars, what filter do you like? Paper element or metal element (if metal, what size)?

• BAZ007 likes this

- 4.4 liter Alpha 12 built by TSM (R.I.P)
- 4.1 liter ER/ETS 6466 built myself with the help of everyone.

- 4.2 liter billet block <? big boy kit> coming.

13180940063_33e81c30d6_z.jpg

Tony1

Tony1

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 808 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12
I use the WIX racing filter on my dry sump builds.
  • changster, 7racer and BAZ007 like this

T1racedevelopment.com

Injectordynamics.com

214-607-9022

ALPHA Performance

ALPHA Performance

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,664 posts
  • Joined 18-December 12

To clarify further, the 51060R Wix filter is not intended for standard length oil change intervals that a street car would see due to the 61 micron filter element. We'll be adding a few options for filters in the product listing on our website to make it easier for people, but there are probably 150 different filters available on the market that fit this size adapter. Wix alone has 30+ available. 

We use the Moroso 22460 filter in addition to the Wix, that has a 27 micron media element which we would recommend for extended interval oil change vehicles, or for race engines during their break in period. It's important to note that the Moroso and Wix Racing filters listed above do not have a bypass relief valve, so if the adapter will be exclusively for a street car and you want to use a filter as close to factory spec as possible (but much larger) the XP Wix line would be a good choice.  

• Tim and BAZ007 like this

Ty Curtin

ty@amsperformance.com 

World's Quickest AWD Car - AlphaG 

1/4 Mile Record Holder 6.93  @ 196 mph  

World's First Nissan R35 GT-R in the 9's, 8's 7's AND THE 6's!!!!!!!
World's Quickest Standing Mile GT-R -Yuri's ALPHA 12- 22.0 seconds @ 240.1 mph!
2014 & 2015 TSS Texas Invitational King of the Streets Back to Back Champ - ALPHA OMEGA

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,438 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

To clarify further, the 51060R Wix filter is not intended for standard length oil change intervals that a street car would see due to the 61 micron filter element. We'll be adding a few options for filters in the product listing on our website to make it easier for people, but there are probably 150 different filters available on the market that fit this size adapter. Wix alone has 30+ available. 

We use the Moroso 22460 filter in addition to the Wix, that has a 27 micron media element which we would recommend for extended interval oil change vehicles, or for race engines during their break in period. It's important to note that the Moroso and Wix Racing filters listed above do not have a bypass relief valve, so if the adapter will be exclusively for a street car and you want to use a filter as close to factory spec as possible (but much larger) the XP Wix line would be a good choice.  

And there you go.  Excellent advice, as usual.  Cool product.  Thinking about it.  Really.  I probably should run the race filter during my track events.

Is there any risk of this filter being too close to the sway bar and interference?

Shawn

• thehelix112 and BAZ007 like this

ALPHA Performance

ALPHA Performance

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,664 posts
  • Joined 18-December 12

And there you go.  Excellent advice, as usual.  Cool product.  Thinking about it.  Really.  I probably should run the race filter during my track events.

Is there any risk of this filter being too close to the sway bar and interference?

Shawn

Should be no concern with sway bar fitment. There is a filter length concern for cars running our race cooling kit with larger dual pass radiator, and we'll be testing a few options for compatible filters that can be used in the near future.

• thehelix112 likes this

Ty Curtin

ty@amsperformance.com 

World's Quickest AWD Car - AlphaG 

1/4 Mile Record Holder 6.93  @ 196 mph  

World's First Nissan R35 GT-R in the 9's, 8's 7's AND THE 6's!!!!!!!
World's Quickest Standing Mile GT-R -Yuri's ALPHA 12- 22.0 seconds @ 240.1 mph!
2014 & 2015 TSS Texas Invitational King of the Streets Back to Back Champ - ALPHA OMEGA

danielTRLK

danielTRLK

Stock

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 28-February 17
  • LocationChicago

Bigger filter does not always = more filtration(not saying that's the case here, I'd love to see data backing claims).

I have seen 6 high horse GT-R's from TX2K and the problem isn't ferritic or soft metals in the oil, the stock filters are doing more than enough and I'd be highly interested in everyone making these adapters to provide their research data. 

By the time, on average, the GT-R has enough wear elements to warrant a change in the oil, it's already surpassed it's usable life by a considerable amount, so putting in a larger filter that we have no idea(again no data) whether it provides more filtration or not, isn't really going to help. If there is data on the other hand showing hey we did so and so for X hours and then ran so and so for X hours with the race filter and saw a X drop in wear and contaminants, then ok that's a different story. But I've seen some of these super high horse power GT-R's and even they're not changing their oil soon enough and it had nothing to do with wear metals present in the oil. 

It's why I'm trying to work on an actual solution and would welcome any company that is interested in partnering. By filtering the fuel out of the oil and back into the intake, you can actually consider extending the oil life on the GT-R. The dilution of oil on the GT-R is one of the biggest problems and routinely kills engines. You would also increase fuel economy and performance, but the biggest key is keeping the oil fresh.

A solid racing oil is around $30/5 quarts. No point in risking damage from an EOCI over what is probably for most, pocket change.

edit: Also the filter can remove 99.99% of particles over two microns and that's an absolute rating not nominal. They're turbine/industrial grade filters but can be used in cars too. 

Edited by danielTRLK, 27 April 2017 - 10:26 PM.

CasualObserver

CasualObserver

Stage 4 Member

• 525 posts
  • Joined 11-August 14

Bigger filter does not always = more filtration(not saying that's the case here, I'd love to see data backing claims).

I have seen 6 high horse GT-R's from TX2K and the problem isn't ferritic or soft metals in the oil, the stock filters are doing more than enough and I'd be highly interested in everyone making these adapters to provide their research data. 

By the time, on average, the GT-R has enough wear elements to warrant a change in the oil, it's already surpassed it's usable life by a considerable amount, so putting in a larger filter that we have no idea(again no data) whether it provides more filtration or not, isn't really going to help. If there is data on the other hand showing hey we did so and so for X hours and then ran so and so for X hours with the race filter and saw a X drop in wear and contaminants, then ok that's a different story. But I've seen some of these super high horse power GT-R's and even they're not changing their oil soon enough and it had nothing to do with wear metals present in the oil. 

It's why I'm trying to work on an actual solution and would welcome any company that is interested in partnering. By filtering the fuel out of the oil and back into the intake, you can actually consider extending the oil life on the GT-R. The dilution of oil on the GT-R is one of the biggest problems and routinely kills engines. You would also increase fuel economy and performance, but the biggest key is keeping the oil fresh.

A solid racing oil is around $30/5 quarts. No point in risking damage from an EOCI over what is probably for most, pocket change.

edit: Also the filter can remove 99.99% of particles over two microns and that's an absolute rating not nominal. They're turbine/industrial grade filters but can be used in cars too. 

If you think this product is meant to extend the usable life of the filter or oil you are totally missing it's point.
  • changster likes this

danielTRLK

danielTRLK

Stock

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 28-February 17
  • LocationChicago

CasualObserver, could you guide me to what the point is?

• Mattson likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users