Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My build story to 900 WHP :-( ..... get the popcorn!

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
92 replies to this topic

daisy16906

daisy16906

Stock

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 11-April 17

My build story: 

16’ with FBO & USM’s completed by English Racing …. but wanted more power!!  

I wanted to do this build at ER, but the wait for Shep 2.5 last Oct / Nov was super long and Jacks was offering free baskets with drag 800 (no wait) go figure right!!!  Plus they offered to do piston / rods for $7900!!  So I took up their offer and shipped my car to CO!  

Week after car gets to CO Jack starts pushing cams hard ..... feeling like a bait and switch type deal.  I ended up not going with the cams and telling Jack I am good, no thanks on cams.  Was not real happy he wanted to change up build and add significant costs mid build :-(   

Now for more awesome news from Jack.  I run Cobb and required to change to Ecutek, that is all he tunes at his shop. 

*****This was never shared with me previous and I told Jack I have ran Cobb for 15 years (STI / 335i / 335xi / M235i / 13' GTR / 16' GTR) and was not changing.  He was not happy and said without tuning himself he could not guarantee work. 

I told Jack I am not moving away from Cobb, send me my car and I will have it professionally tuned before driving. 

Just to clarify, when I got car back I did not drive at all, wanted tune to be completed ASAP!!!! 

Here is where stuff started to go sideways .... get the car back and ask Doug (WGP) to tune it for me. 

Doug comes over to my house and starts working his magic ..... but both banks regarding fuel not looking right.  We pull the plugs and do compression test .... see super low compression :-( 

Next I contact Jack and share the issue.  He says send me the car back and allow me to tune via Ecutek, it will resolve the issue.  

Take two .... cars sent back to CO again on my dime!!! 

I also take additional steps to ensure build goes well (adding ID1700s, 485s in Visconti baskets, Visconti hardwire kit, Visconti FF kit) and John V is doing the tune remote for Jack.   

Now we FF to March 20th and over $22,000 grand later car is back!!!  Look everywhere in the car for EcuTek cable and USB key ..... not to be found anywhere. 

So I start working with both Jacks and Visconti to locate my cable / USB key ..... huge pain in the ass to finally get weeks later!!!!!  WHY WAS IT NOT WITH MY CAR??? 

Info from Jack ..... car is ready to drive, we can also tweak idle and ensure smooth running due to elevation difference if you want to send us a data log

NOW we move to this past Friday and the white smoke!!!!  Further inspection car has antifreeze in the oil, leak down test fails for cylinder 2, and tear down shows following (lifted head).   

So I contact Jacks Transmission and John Visconti with my most recent issue of lifted head!!!!!  

John V immediately shares the car came back in Valet mode, so there is no way to lift a head due to not able to go into boost. 

Secondly, if it lifted a head I must have taken the car out of valet mode!!!!!

Best part, I have zero idea that a valet mode even existed much less able to take it out of. 

Talk about two all star dudes stepping up to stand behind their product and take care of customer! 

HUGE call out to Doug at WGP, he took time away from his family last Sunday night to help find the issue in my motor ...... this dude has skills regarding our platform.   

Attached Images

• Oil pan.JPG
  • Cyl LD DS.JPG
  • Cyl 2 issue.JPG

Edited by daisy16906, 13 April 2017 - 11:09 AM.

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,785 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Sorry to hear. Sounds like it would've been better to just wait for shep

Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,557 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13

POPULAR

I can always tell a build is going to sideways when the words "basic pistons and rods" come up... :(
  • Tim, changster, 7racer and 2 others like this

Doug Ross
Owner of Weapons Grade Performance
-Northeast/Pacific Northwest Shops where we ONLY work on GT-Rs
-Owner/Builder of the 1st Ever Home Garage GT-R Drivetrain Removal
Cobb Protuner / EcuTek Tuner
-All Wheel Drive Mustang Dyno in House
doug@weaponsgradeperformance.com
Our Online Store
East Coast Location 226 N. Plains Industrial Rd, Wallingford CT 06492 203-668-4765

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 8,557 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches

This sucks dudes hope somebody steps up and makes you whole

:popcorn:  :popcorn:  :popcorn:  Is ready to here some answers

post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

changster

changster

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,267 posts
  • Joined 26-January 13
  • LocationBay Area + Taipei
Sorry again about your situation. Really wish ER coulda finished your build. They are good guys who know a lot.

Hope you get sorted! What's the plan from here?

- 4.4 liter Alpha 12 built by TSM (R.I.P)
- 4.1 liter ER/ETS 6466 built myself with the help of everyone.

- 4.2 liter billet block <? big boy kit> coming.

13180940063_33e81c30d6_z.jpg

MMC Racing

MMC Racing

Stage 3 Member

• 312 posts
  • Joined 30-December 14
  • LocationNew Mexico

Here we go...

finger-pointing-1308660615.jpg

• Tim, Buschur Racing and mikelmarion like this

2015 GT-R Deep Blue Pearl Premium
Linney Tuning, SD Kit, EFR Turbos, AWD Controller, Throttle Bodies, Fuel Rails | Ecutek BT | ID1700x injectors | SBD Intakes

Shep 1K | T1 Trans Brace | Visconti Flex Fuel, Fuel Basket with dual 485, Hardwire Kit | Buschur Race Intercooler, Pro Catch Can

AMS built short block

2016 Mustang GT
Procharger Stage 2 | nGauge | Lund Tuning | Long Tube Headers

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,990 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

sorry to hear man!  this sucks!

In7anity!!

KNOTZLA

KNOTZLA

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 355 posts
  • Joined 17-March 13

POPULAR

In before Ian blames it on SBD somehow!
  • Tim, Doug@WGP, thehelix112 and 3 others like this

daisy16906

daisy16906

Stock

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 11-April 17

Plan from here is Doug at WGP, I watched him pull my motor and see all the bad news in under 2.5 hours ..... he knows our platform well and has my trust. 

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,785 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Godspeed

Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,557 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13

Plan from here is Doug at WGP, I watched him pull my motor and see all the bad news in under 2.5 hours ..... he knows our platform well and has my trust.

Technically it was around 2hrs 45mins from pulling into the shop to heads off ;)
  • cmurder1019 likes this

Doug Ross
Our Online Store
East Coast Location 226 N. Plains Industrial Rd, Wallingford CT 06492 203-668-4765

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 339 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15

Can't say I'm surprised nor should anyone else. Even though this is around the power levels jacks seems capable of making work, or appear to.

I've yet to see a single jacks built car that I could say "WOW that's impressive"

Sorry you had such issues OP but there really are very FEW choices in this community that give you a car that works properly.

Roll power, rolling boost, dyno numbers, easily deceive people in the 700-1500whp range who haven't learned to go so few places.

• Tim likes this

cjmatt

cjmatt

Stage 4 Member

• 447 posts
  • Joined 29-January 14
  • LocationDetroit
Two things...I wouldn't be that mad if he asked if you wanted to do cams instead, its way cheaper to do them now instead of once the car gets back and you decide you'd rather have the extra power. Most people regret doing it and get mad they forgot about it. And you should've sent your Cobb tuner there to finish it before it left.

daisy16906

daisy16906

Stock

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 11-April 17

cjmatt ....... I was already $22 grand deep in the build with motor / trans / fuel solution / race IC, and goal was 900 WHP on e85.  Something that could be achieved without need for cams and reality with USM's bang for the buck is not there!!!! 

Cobb tune was take one, I am more concerned about take two ..... sending car back and going with EcuTek and car comes back and lifts a head within short period. 

ghostrider

ghostrider

Stage 1 Member

• 128 posts
  • Joined 07-February 14

cjmatt ....... I was already $22 grand deep in the build with motor / trans / fuel solution / race IC, and goal was 900 WHP on e85.  Something that could be achieved without need for cams and reality with USM's bang for the buck is not there!!!! 

Cobb tune was take one, I am more concerned about take two ..... sending car back and going with EcuTek and car comes back and lifts a head within short period. 

Wow you spent 22 Grand and couldn't get a Reliable,nice running 900 WHP GTR for that...Sheeeesss I would be pissed....... :huh:

:shrug:  :shrug:  :shrug:  :shrug:  :shrug:  :shrug:  :shrug:  :shrug:  :shrug:  :shrug:  :shrug:  :shrug:  :shrug:  :shrug:  :shrug:  :shrug:  :shrug:

What were you thinking,Do some research there's enough available!!!

Sorry about you're bad situation,but mostly your fault!!

1)How much did you spend on FBO.     properly built 14-18 grand- shop built "all the goodies needed for further upgrades"

2)Do more Research before next decision!

3)

4)

You can fill in the rest, :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Sorry if too harsh,but it is what it is!!!! :baby:  :baby:

daisy16906

daisy16906

Stock

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 11-April 17

ghostrider thanks for adding zero to this thread.  Feel free to shut the door on your way out, hate people talking out their ass!!!   

I did tons of research FYI but for fun let me spell it out for you!!!

Pistons & Rods (Jacks) - 7900

Drag 800 w baskets - 6000

ETS Race IC - 3500
Visconti fuel goodies (FF kit / ID 1700s / 485 in Vis baskets / hardwire kit / SD kit) 3000

shipping to and fm twice - 2800

Came into this build w/FBO plus USMs, like most of us had to upgrade fuel solution fm FBO! 

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 339 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15

ghostrider thanks for adding zero to this thread. Feel free to shut the door on your way out, hate people talking out their ass!!!

I did tons of research FYI but for fun let me spell it out for you!!!

Pistons & Rods (Jacks) - 7900
Drag 800 w baskets - 6000
ETS Race IC - 3500
Visconti fuel goodies (FF kit / ID 1700s / 485 in Vis baskets / hardwire kit / SD kit) 3000
shipping to and fm twice - 2800

Came into this build w/FBO plus USMs, like most of us had to upgrade fuel solution fm FBO!

I personally would have budgeted closer to 30... again you have no 2-6 which is where the fun begins.

I've never seen a slip or build he's done where I say wow wish I woulda went there. Which me saying that I'm sure will piss people off who threw all they had at or still trying to justify settling for less.

The good news is you won't be making enough to push his suspect work, and about the only good aspect of going there is the warranty work which sounds like you aren't benefiting from.

Good luck.
  • ian.r and mstaudt2003 like this

Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,557 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
To paraphrase Tommy Boy... slapping a guarantee on a box full of shit is a guaranteed piece of shit.

For perspective, had the customer used us the first time for the build, the costs would have been more like:

engine (not pistons and rods) 10k
ShepTrans 2.5 w/ brace and fluids : 8k
DI Race 4k
Fuel System 4500

Around 6k more... which looking back on it would have been cheap considering the wasted transportation costs, downtime, and the repair costs, which are likely to be the following on the low end when an engine blows up:

Oil Cooler: 1300
Oil Pump: 1000
Cylinder Heads 2000
Remachine Shortblock 3500
Timing Assembly: 2000
Turbo Inspection/Repairs: 1400
Labor: 5000

On the high side the cost for the heads and block can easily double depending on how hard things blow up.

I tell people all the time that blowing up your engine will cost you double than what it will cost to build it right the first time.

This is an unfortunate example of that.
  • Tim, icarus, ghostrider and 1 other like this

Doug Ross
Our Online Store

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 339 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15

To paraphrase Tommy Boy... slapping a guarantee on a box full of shit is a guaranteed piece of shit.

For perspective, had the customer used us the first time for the build, the costs would have been more like:

engine (not pistons and rods) 10k
ShepTrans 2.5 w/ brace and fluids : 8k
DI Race 4k
Fuel System 4500

Around 6k more... which looking back on it would have been cheap considering the wasted transportation costs, downtime, and the repair costs, which are likely to be the following on the low end when an engine blows up:

Oil Cooler: 1300
Oil Pump: 1000
Cylinder Heads 2000
Remachine Shortblock 3500
Timing Assembly: 2000
Turbo Inspection/Repairs: 1400
Labor: 5000

On the high side the cost for the heads and block can easily double depending on how hard things blow up.

I tell people all the time that blowing up your engine will cost you double than what it will cost to build it right the first time.

This is an unfortunate example of that.

Pretty much lol when his shit blows up so much that he's gotta guarantee you meanwhile guys like us have 20k miles on a stage 3/4 and 25k miles on a stage 2

It boggles my mind why people go such a cheap route when they might be a few months of saving from doing it right

But it is what it is, hopefully the op gets compensated the way he deserves

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 339 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15
And to be fair op LOTS of people in the gtr have been taken for the proverbial ride by shops. I know from my own 50k endeavor I will from now on for next gtr stick to working with the very very few shops I've seen privately do amazing things.

I can't wait to try a t1 motor but for now this r8 will do lol
  • Tim and thehelix112 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users