Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

DSC Sport Controller

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

pstoppani

pstoppani

Stock

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined 26-June 18
Interesting. I find it to be very underdamped in all three modes on a stock 2014. The amount of rebound motion over medium to large bumps is quite disconcerting to me.

It seems very biased toward a cushy ride. Even in R mode the rear moves way too much compared to stock over bumps. It feels nice on a flat road but undulating pavement upsets the car too much.

I played with the software and think it will take a lot of trial and error to dial in the suspension the way I want it given the number of parameters that can be adjusted. The software seems oriented toward a race team crew chief and not so much toward a hobbiest / enthusiast. I’ve tuned my suspension on several cars for street and track and have learned from books and suspension tuners so not a nube.

Kinda disappointed...

jumpshowhigh

jumpshowhigh

Stock

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 17-March 14
I'm sure you can return the pcb and get your money back. I ran Big Willow last month with the oem suspension computer, and I'm running it again in a couple weeks with the DSC suspension computer, so I'll be able to better compare apples to apples over the same terrain. From a layman's perspective, simply driving the car around town is nicer and more pleasant with the DSC comfort program verses the OEM comfort program. I bought the car to serve two purposes: fun to drive around town, yet capable of track duty at a recreational level. Hard to make a car that's all things to all people, and particularly hard to make a car both comfortable and a fully weaponized track monster. The reality is that most cars see mostly street and little (if any) track. I drive 175 miles to get to the track, do 50 laps, then 175 miles home. The idea of having a car that can be soft(ish) around town and tight at the push of a button is very attractive. Nissan did an okay job and I think the guys at DSC bettered it, and the beauty of it is if it's not to your liking, you can tweak it via trial and error which is how all suspensions get modified.
  • 7racer and thehelix112 like this

descartesfool

descartesfool

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 943 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

To those who have tuned their DSC controller's. what is the step by step tuning procedure? Where do you start and what is the most important stuff to adjust?

• elf_cruiser likes this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,034 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

To those who have tuned their DSC controller's. what is the step by step tuning procedure? Where do you start and what is the most important stuff to adjust?

The first thing is to set the range of current on the Shock Calibration tab. This range affects all of the other tables within a given map, so if you just want R mode to be stiffer across the board, go to Shock Calibration and lower the mA values throughout the table.

The next thing is adjusting the G table. I’m still playing around with that, and I had a good head start from my tuner. He didn’t like the settings they ship with, it took awhile to customize it and come up with a good map for the GT-R.

If you have specific questions just PM me.
  • descartesfool likes this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

pstoppani

pstoppani

Stock

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined 26-June 18
The controller is not refundable. But, they said they’ll replace the broken faceplate under warranty; nice.

We are also discussing whether or not the controller is able to address the undulating pavement without sacrificing comfort too much.

I’ll report back after I have more info.
  • 7racer likes this

HeeRow

HeeRow

Stock

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 08-April 18
Installed on MY17.

Thanks to all that advised on how much of a pain it is to install. Switching boards was the best advise. Practiced on the DSC unit then did the same for the stock unit in place. Probably took about 20 minutes or less to do.

Observations:
Comfort is not any more soft. Still have that wobble feeling from the MP4S 345 tires on the freeway transitions. Was hoping this would get rid of it.
Switch remembers last setting.
R mode does not trigger exhaust to open like stock.
Takes longer to flip between settings. Any way to change it to react the same as stock?
R seems to feel more planted during spirited driving.

It’s only been 2 weeks. All street driving.
  • thehelix112 likes this

c6vette

c6vette

Stock

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 03-February 16

Installed on MY17.

Thanks to all that advised on how much of a pain it is to install. Switching boards was the best advise. Practiced on the DSC unit then did the same for the stock unit in place. Probably took about 20 minutes or less to do.

Observations:
Comfort is not any more soft. Still have that wobble feeling from the MP4S 345 tires on the freeway transitions. Was hoping this would get rid of it.
Switch remembers last setting.
R mode does not trigger exhaust to open like stock.
Takes longer to flip between settings. Any way to change it to react the same as stock?
R seems to feel more planted during spirited driving.

It’s only been 2 weeks. All street driving.

Is Comfort at least as comfortable as stock?  My concern is losing the Comfort mode on my '15.

HeeRow

HeeRow

Stock

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 08-April 18
Yes, comfort feels the same. From what I read, MY17+ are the softest. So you may experience an even softer feel.

HeeRow

HeeRow

Stock

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 08-April 18
Side note. Just had my 2nd year POS done.

If taking your car to the dealership for service, the ECU will read an error that it cannot communicate with the suspension computer (DSC).

Tech was cool with that when he understood what was done.
  • Tim, 7racer and elf_cruiser like this

jumpshowhigh

jumpshowhigh

Stock

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 17-March 14

Is Comfort at least as comfortable as stock?  My concern is losing the Comfort mode on my '15.

It's more comfortable than stock. 

DSC Comfort is OEM comfort plus 20% softer.

DSC Normal is  OEM comfort

DSC Sport is OEM sport but more planted.

IMO, for what it's worth.

• Tim and thehelix112 like this

sam2avila

sam2avila

Stage 1 Member

• 115 posts
  • Joined 08-March 15
I've been out of the loop for a while...looks like this thing actually works. Order placed!
  • Tim and 7racer like this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,034 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Just a heads’ up - if anyone would like help tuning the DSC or creating new maps from scratch please PM me. I’ve been working with mine for about a year and have done several custom maps that work very well at the racetrack.

Cheers,
Wes
  • Tim and thehelix112 like this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,640 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
Do you have a comfy street map that doesn’t float like a Cadillac?
  • Tim and sam2avila like this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,667 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches

Just a heads’ up - if anyone would like help tuning the DSC or creating new maps from scratch please PM me. I’ve been working with mine for about a year and have done several custom maps that work very well at the racetrack.

Cheers,
Wes

Very cool Wes :punk:

• elf_cruiser likes this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,034 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

Do you have a comfy street map that doesn’t float like a Cadillac?

My current comfort setting is still a track setting but for bumpy tracks haha. I should be pretty easy to come up with something that is soft when going straight at low G’s, but firms right up when cornering, braking, or accelerating.
  • Tim, 7racer and thehelix112 like this

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,640 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13

My current comfort setting is still a track setting but for bumpy tracks haha. I should be pretty easy to come up with something that is soft when going straight at low G’s, but firms right up when cornering, braking, or accelerating.

That would be cool
  • Tim and 7racer like this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,667 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches

That would be cool

I agree

0 user(s) are reading this topic