Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

DSC Sport Controller

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

09GTR08135

09GTR08135

Stock

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 26-February 17

If anyone else decides to pick this up - PM me. I love the controller but some things have come up and I am going a different route. I will sell it to you for a discount  ;)

choerizo has picked this up!  :thumbsup:

Edited by 09GTR08135, 05 June 2017 - 01:54 PM.

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,189 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

POPULAR

Look at what I got:

ed551a1792f60875f116d9652a4dd3ac.jpg

97cf7fe12c50750f7f7235287bebe50f.jpg

Install and test coming. Track test coming soon....

Shawn
  • changster, thehelix112, elf_cruiser and 2 others like this

shombre

shombre

Stock

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 22-May 16

changster

changster

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,306 posts
  • Joined 26-January 13
  • LocationBay Area + Taipei
Right on Shawn! You of all people would be a great person to review this thing.
  • mikelmarion likes this

- 4.4 liter Alpha 12 built by TSM (R.I.P)
- 4.1 liter ER/ETS 6466 built myself with the help of everyone.

- 4.2 liter billet block <? big boy kit> coming.

13180940063_33e81c30d6_z.jpg

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,584 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationArroyo Grande, CA
Yep! Can't wait to hear the reviews.
  • mikelmarion likes this

drk

drk

Stage 1 Member

• 115 posts
  • Joined 06-January 14
See my post under AP Racing Brake Kit for GTR. So my times at INDIE Motorsports Park were about 2 seconds faster on Sat. with the Tractive RTx kit. Also had the new front AP 5000 kit. Sunday ran counter clockwise for my first time. The brakes were subjectively better and objectively I could brake later on the high speed straights. The shocks were more difficult to evaluate. I have to believe that much of the times improvement was due to the suspension. I did notice on one high speed complex which my car would always become unsettled in because of the need to clip two apexs at high speed the first time thru I thought I missed them but came to realize I can no longer even feel them. Contemplating so lessons in the future with a pro and also BSE will be driving the car so will get some better feedback.
  • changster, 7racer, choerizo and 1 other like this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,584 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13

my car would always become unsettled in because of the need to clip two apexs at high speed the first time thru I thought I missed them but came to realize I can no longer even feel them

That is impressive from the shocks part.

Did they change the feel at the limit?  Ie, could you still evaluate effectively if you had grip available at each end?  Question applies to transient and steady state conditions please. :D

Dave

• 7racer likes this

drk

drk

Stage 1 Member

• 115 posts
  • Joined 06-January 14
can't really answer the question. Am not experienced enough or talented enough to know when I'm at the limit. Will be at Infineon (Sonoma) next month and will have a former pro compare my suspension to the slightly modified factory suspension he runs on his GTR which is otherwise set up like mine.

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,584 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13

What date?  I doubt I'll be able to go but might be able to swing it.

Dave

drk

drk

Stage 1 Member

• 115 posts
  • Joined 06-January 14
July 15 and 16 with Speedventures. There will be another gtr there with the tractive RT mine has the RTx and a 3rd with stock dampers and fabricated coilovers. Should be fun. Bring you wife and she can hangout with ours, at the shops not the track and I'm sure some wine tasting will be involved.
  • thehelix112 likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,189 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

POPULAR

Right on Shawn! You of all people would be a great person to review this thing.

Installed....

Install notes....

While stupidly easy to access (one panel), the stock controller is in one of the most awkward positions and removal difficulties I have ever experienced. It is behind (and I mean RIGHT behind) the glove box, and it goes VERTICALLY straight up. In addition, the wiring harness curls around right below it. You need to have done a thing or two with harnesses to know the tricks to get them to wiggle around to get this board out, and the new one in...

Despite this..I broke the face board of the new dsc sport controller wriggling it in. That has no effect on anything, not even cosmetics. You can't see any of this board at all anywhere. But it is a RIDICULOUSLY tight spot Nissan put the OEM board.

(No surprise, it's within spitting distance of the IPDM, and if I ever find the motherfu**er who designed THAT, I'm going to kick him square in the crotch)

That being said, install took about six total minutes. No shit. Six. It's awkward, but doable.

You can access the mini USB port after install, but I made sure I did it before on the bench and made sure I had the latest firmware, and downloaded the latest calibrations from Mike Levitas. It is for his 2015 Nismo, but my CBA with 2012 shocks should be CLOSE. Not great but close.

Road review below...

Shawn
  • ian.r, celsius, 7racer and 2 others like this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,189 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

POPULAR

Road review:

It is known that the GT-R has a VERY sensitive chassis to suspension mods. Meaning - MINOR differences in shocks and calibrations of spring and dampers are IMMEDIATELY apparent to the driver. My 2012 shocks were immediately noticeable when installed. Sway bars are immediately apparent. It's not the GT-R is "bad" in any way, just that suspension changes are noticeable to the driver where minor changes to other cars may only make a difference in high speed corners.

In that note...

The active suspension is immediately apparent just pulling to the end of the driveway. The thing tries to combat nosedive by adjusting the front dampers to a higher resistance when you brake.

It's one of the more fascinating "feels" I have ever noticed.

Race mode is very controllable. Competent and not overly stiff. You can feel the suspension change through switchbacks. You can tell a little, but it's not disconcerting at all.

I think this is another revolutionary product.

Track review, coming the first weekend of July, when I'm at VIR with our toy and his spouse.

Shawn

Edited by shawnhayes, 10 June 2017 - 02:56 PM.

• changster, 7racer, thehelix112 and 2 others like this

changster

changster

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,306 posts
  • Joined 26-January 13
  • LocationBay Area + Taipei

Nice!! Do you have any twisty type mountain/canyon roads that you can take the car to even before the track day?

- 4.4 liter Alpha 12 built by TSM (R.I.P)
- 4.1 liter ER/ETS 6466 built myself with the help of everyone.

- 4.2 liter billet block <? big boy kit> coming.

13180940063_33e81c30d6_z.jpg

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,662 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
How's the comfort setting compare? I still have stock CBA shocks and would love to soften up for street cruising
  • KNOTZLA likes this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,584 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
+1 wanna know about comfort mode please. And track review should be epic!

shombre

shombre

Stock

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 22-May 16

Shawn, so interesting that you and I have data on the same day :) I'm delighted to hear that you share many of my impressions.

I promised to test the launch programming, and am duly reporting back. I've also had 3 weeks of mixed driving ( non-track, sadly) to firm up my general impressions (pun intended :P).

First, the launch control. The conclusion is that it certainly isn't deleterious in any way that I can tell, with the proviso of imperfect testing.

The logistics of taking my car to the drags for official timed runs have proved insurmountable, unfortunately. So I made do with road testing. In this respect, the conditions were almost perfect - ambient temp 16degC, sun out, unprepped flat road, but still mildly damp (as were my tyres, I think). I used R-C-R, as I usually would, and followed Michael's instructions exactly - foot hard on the brake, quick stab of the throttle and was rewarded with a blink of the middle VDC LED, exactly as in the video. Then, keeping that pressure, bring revs up to launch rpm, and let it rip.

I took one for the team and did 3 runs with the DSC controller, 3 with the OEM, and 1 more with the DSC (to try and control for conditions/experience/etc), with I think enough cool down time in between. This was extremely fun to test, BTW :)

Ultimately, there are too many variables to say for sure, but I was between 0.05-0.1sec faster to 100 (timed manually by an independent party, but tons of room for error of course) with the DSC controller than OEM.

My impression was that the car felt much more planted on launch with the DSC than the OEM, but I can't eliminate placebo effect. Certainly there was no abnormal behaviour by way of codes etc. So, overall positive :)

The better test would of course have been to take it to the drags for official timed runs back to back with OEM vs DSC, but the logistics of doing so are beyond me atm.

Second, the overall impressions now that the afterglow of installing a new part have faded - I'm delighted to say they remain as positive as on my initial review. Happily, to get to my test strip today, there were curvy roads aplenty with which I am very familiar. I managed to get a back to back run with OEM vs DSC. There is absolutely no question in my mind that the car feels lighter and far more balanced on turn-in,  with perceptibly more grip to allow you to feel even more like a superstar. Or, as Chris Harris memorably put it - to "egg you on" even harder than it did before.

Day to day driving is fine - but based on the test today, with OEM vs DSC, I can definitely say that on a stock late-2016 RHD vehicle, comfort mode is *more* firmly damped with the DSC vs OEM. This is the opposite of what most people with older model cars have reported for their comfort mode post-DSC, which may reflect the altered valving and other setup of the 2016+ car. I like it this way, but also very much appreciate how comfortable the OEM comfort mode was :)

Edited by shombre, 10 June 2017 - 08:22 PM.

• ian.r, 7racer and thehelix112 like this

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
It sounds like this would pair well with a KAPS AWD controller on the track.

shombre can the tune be modified again to see if it improves for your 16? Also have you tried other modes for launching? Knowing that it feels different from from OEM another mode or even custom tuning it, may help even more.

How does the launch programming work? For instance does it dial it to full soft and then ramp up after launch? Does it change the front to rear biases, I'm not sure how advanced this programming could be.

shombre

shombre

Stock

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 22-May 16

It sounds like this would pair well with a KAPS AWD controller on the track.

shombre can the tune be modified again to see if it improves for your 16? Also have you tried other modes for launching? Knowing that it feels different from from OEM another mode or even custom tuning it, may help even more.

How does the launch programming work? For instance does it dial it to full soft and then ramp up after launch? Does it change the front to rear biases, I'm not sure how advanced this programming could be.

Hi Ian - to your first question,  the tune certainly can be modified, but I must say that *for me*, I like the way it is set up currently. I asked Mike Levitas this question when I first tested the unit, in anticipation that someone else might ask if it could be softened. This was his response :-

"‚ÄčThe file is based on my GTR I purposely mapped it so there is little feel on low load driving in all the modes. I like a nice driving car. The misconception is that it should be noticeably different as this active system the only changes really are in the rate of =change and shock calibration between maps. Old school is one is harsher than the other as that is not dynamic but passive!!! If you want the feel of passive but not effect the dynamic range then only put in new values in the default area of the Gtable lower left make it 20% for race and 10% for normal.

Remember what you know from the past is simply passive control this is fully dynamic. The info on the can bus is 512K meg we are in real time plus rate of change."

Mike was very happy to have users take a log and send a map to him for specific modification if needed.

To your second question, regarding the launch programming :- as I understand it, to permit the best possible launch, it firms the front and softens the rear, in real time, *for a short, defined period*, which is intended to achieve an optimal 60'; and it then dynamically adjusts the front and rear dampening based on sensor feedback to permit and maintain maximum acceleration as well as traction, to the extent permitted by the laws of physics :) The theory is f@(king awesome.

Edited by shombre, 11 June 2017 - 12:01 AM.

• ian.r and mikelmarion like this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,189 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Nice!! Do you have any twisty type mountain/canyon roads that you can take the car to even before the track day?

Yes.  Already done.  The car is much more "planted" in left-right switchbacks.  You can feel the suspension change dynamically between left right transitions.  My Forged bars are much stiffer than most, allowing the car to rotate easier, but that also takes out traction (for those in the know on how swaybars work).  Takes the "push" out of the car, but slows it down a little bit too - but allows you to plant the accelerator earlier once you've got the turning done.  It's the Mario Andretti approach.   Get all the turning work done and then lay the power to it.

All that being said, this keeps you from "getting there", or so it seems.  As the car begins to lean into the turn, the new calibration seems to "push back", generating the "stick stick stick" feeling you get from a well setup suspension and set of tires and the car leans less around the turn.  And as you switchback to another turn in the other direction, you feel the shocks transition to pushing back to the other side.  So, the car leans a lot less around the turn, and the bars come less into play but allowing the car to turn like it does in the first part of the turn, keeping a nice planted feel.

I do have to say it sure does make the car feel more planted.

Shawn

• changster, destroid, 09GTR08135 and 1 other like this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,189 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

How's the comfort setting compare? I still have stock CBA shocks and would love to soften up for street cruising

+1 wanna know about comfort mode please. And track review should be epic!

The difference here to me is unpredictable for you DSM.

The question comes down to whether or not the better "comfort" of the 2012 and up cars was due to the shocks or the controller.  I can say I noticed a significant difference after I installed my 2012 shocks into my 2009 car.  The "comfort" mode was much better.

And, after the install of this DSC Sport controller, the comfort mode is even more comfy.  The car doesn't crash over bumps and cracks as much.  The controller picks up on the forces and seems to adjust the suspension to keep the occupants nice and happy.  Additionally, the DSC controller defaults to "comfort" mode on startup.  Very slick.

So, thehelix, I'm pretty sure you have a DBA.  Based on the above comments by shombre (who has the tractive suspension), I cannot say what will happen if you install this controller.  If the DBA controller is calibrated much better than the CBA controller (and is the reason the DBA is more comfy than the CBA) then it could be STIFFER than the DBA comfort mode.  But, I have a CBA with DBA shocks, and I can say BOTH changes improved the "comfort" ride of the CBA.  So, for you, it is ALSO unpredictable.

I am very happy personally.  But this is for a CBA with a track focus, with Forged Performance bars, and DBA shocks.  I really need the DBA front control arms to make the spring settings "right", but I will say this controller really helps so far.

Track review coming.  I always keep video, and we'll see how the feel is.  I don't keep laptimes live, but just get them from video after the fact (avoids the "red mist" during the event).

Shawn

• ian.r, thehelix112 and elf_cruiser like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users