Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2009 GTR with 120k

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

09GTR08135

09GTR08135

Stock

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 26-February 17

Hello all -

Just picked up a 2009 GTR with 120k on the clock. I plan to do a build myself down the road but looking for suggestions on what to attack early. The car already has a new rear diff/transmission installed 60k ago. The transmission was warrantied from Nissan and is the newer style (done in 13).

I've picked up diff/tranny/engine oils and wondering if I should do the TSB clips and tranny filters while I'm in there. Did the TSB clips only affect the 09-11 cars or should all of the years do it? Jacks transmission says the filter will last the life of the transmission but I'm planning to push the car at VIR in the future so I'd like it to last as long as I can.

Located in Lynchburg VA 

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,723 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

welcome! wow nice to see some high mileage gt-rs continue to get pushed. if you've gotten the trans replaced I am pretty sure it will have the clips as those only affected the 09-11 cars.

have heard good stuff about lynchburg nissan also (from Shawn).

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,068 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Hello all -

Just picked up a 2009 GTR with 120k on the clock. I plan to do a build myself down the road but looking for suggestions on what to attack early. The car already has a new rear diff/transmission installed 60k ago. The transmission was warrantied from Nissan and is the newer style (done in 13).

I've picked up diff/tranny/engine oils and wondering if I should do the TSB clips and tranny filters while I'm in there. Did the TSB clips only affect the 09-11 cars or should all of the years do it? Jacks transmission says the filter will last the life of the transmission but I'm planning to push the car at VIR in the future so I'd like it to last as long as I can.

Located in Lynchburg VA 

welcome! wow nice to see some high mileage gt-rs continue to get pushed. if you've gotten the trans replaced I am pretty sure it will have the clips as those only affected the 09-11 cars.

Welcome,

The newer Trans's all have the new upgrades, including shift clips.  Nice to see a high mileage GT-R nearby.  Mine is a 2009, but has 44,000 miles (but mostly track).

Lynchburg Nissan has supported me very very well through 7 years of hard track use.  I do a lot of work myself, but that's just out of old fashioned dogged stubbornness, but Scott Batwinas (service manager) Riley (parts manager) are impossible to beat.  The work they do is superb.

I'm working on the rear shocks now for an early VIR stint in April (Audi Club), and expect to have the car at Lynchburg Nissan soon for the POS and pre-track inspection.

Shawn

09GTR08135

09GTR08135

Stock

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 26-February 17

Ah great to know!

Yeah - Lynchburg Nissan is great. My cousin is marrying into the owners family next year so he's my go to if I need anything from the dealer :D

• choerizo likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,068 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Hello all -

Located in Lynchburg VA 

P.S. - filter depends on which fluid you will be using.  If you're using OEM, then all is well and the filter will last a long time.  If you choose to use thicker fluid, you could consider one of the metal screen filters, which sacrifice filtration, but flow the thicker fluids better.  If you have a transmission cooler, you might consider sticking to the OEM fluid especially if you have near stock power.

Shawn

09GTR08135

09GTR08135

Stock

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 26-February 17

Welcome,

The newer Trans's all have the new upgrades, including shift clips.  Nice to see a high mileage GT-R nearby.  Mine is a 2009, but has 44,000 miles (but mostly track).

Lynchburg Nissan has supported me very very well through 7 years of hard track use.  I do a lot of work myself, but that's just out of old fashioned dogged stubbornness, but Scott Batwinas (service manager) Riley (parts manager) are impossible to beat.  The work they do is superb.

I'm working on the rear shocks now for an early VIR stint in April (Audi Club), and expect to have the car at Lynchburg Nissan soon for the POS and pre-track inspection.

Shawn

Good to know - I typically order online but I've never owned a Nissan. Coming from the LS corvette world, haha. I'll reach out to them if I need anything though.

P.S. - filter depends on which fluid you will be using.  If you're using OEM, then all is well and the filter will last a long time.  If you choose to use thicker fluid, you could consider one of the metal screen filters, which sacrifice filtration, but flow the thicker fluids better.  If you have a transmission cooler, you might consider sticking to the OEM fluid especially if you have near stock power.

Shawn

I am using Motul DCTF. Any idea if that is thicker than OEM? For the differential I've got AMSOil 75w-140 with the additive for limited slip (rear). For engine - I've always run Rotella T6 so I thought I'd give it a shot in this motor as well.

EDIT: Stock cooler as far as I know. The car has bolt ons and tune making around 600 flywheel. Ran a 10.8 @ 128. Will turn down the boost for road course most likely though.

Edited by 09GTR08135, 27 March 2017 - 04:32 PM.

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,628 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

welcome!!!

• 09GTR08135 likes this

In7anity!!

Nosferatu

Nosferatu

Stage 1 Member

• 177 posts
  • Joined 13-March 16
  • LocationAhead of You :)

If you don't mind me asking, what did a 120,000 mile GT-R fetch in the used market.  Feel free to PM me it if you don't want to post it on the public forum.  Just curious.   :D

• OuLikeBlueGTRs likes this
2014 Nissan GT-R :D 
Mods: FBO + Litchfield Suspension + Greddy Tranmission Cooler + AMS Race Intercooler + ETS 4" Titanium Exhaust + AP Racing Jhook rotors + Flex fuel kit + FORE Innovative + ECUTek Phase 5 + HRE 3 piece forged wheels with Titanium hardware
Best 60': 1.534 (R888 32psi)
Best ET: 10.247 Best MPH: 135.13

Other Rides:
2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus (Ara Blue Crystal)

09GTR08135

09GTR08135

Stock

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 26-February 17

If you don't mind me asking, what did a 120,000 mile GT-R fetch in the used market.  Feel free to PM me it if you don't want to post it on the public forum.  Just curious.   :D

Picked it up for 40k even. Along with the new trans, the previous owner installed new timing assembly, wheel bearings, new navigation HUD, and a few other things. Has EcuTek (Linney tuned), gasket matched intake manifold, 2012 intakes, a mid-pipe, J-Hook rotors, 1100 ANSU injectors and 285 MPSS all around. Can't think of any other things off the top of my head. I did quite a bit of research and since I was thinking of building the motor myself it seemed to be my best choice. As long as I don't throw a rod in the next year or so I'll be happy  :lol:

Edited by 09GTR08135, 28 March 2017 - 09:43 AM.

• 7racer, OuLikeBlueGTRs, Dan_585 and 1 other like this

TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight

Stage 1 Member

• 186 posts
  • Joined 14-April 16

40K!?!?!?!?!?!?! YOU STOLE THAT!

Regardless, this is awesome to hear that there are 09s with 120k still going strong! Congrats!

• thehelix112, Dan_585 and 09GTR08135 like this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,068 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Good to know - I typically order online but I've never owned a Nissan. Coming from the LS corvette world, haha. I'll reach out to them if I need anything though.

I am using Motul DCTF. Any idea if that is thicker than OEM? For the differential I've got AMSOil 75w-140 with the additive for limited slip (rear). For engine - I've always run Rotella T6 so I thought I'd give it a shot in this motor as well.

EDIT: Stock cooler as far as I know. The car has bolt ons and tune making around 600 flywheel. Ran a 10.8 @ 128. Will turn down the boost for road course most likely though.

Motul DCTF is nearly the same as OEM. Just much cheaper.

As far as a cooler goes, as soon as you start road coursing hot, you will likely find trans temps climbing. Unless the owner installed the DBA cooling lines (a pain in the ass, engine must be dropped), the CBA cooling lines are too small to keep the trans at a low temp when pushed hard. DBA did better, but still overheats in the southern heat with 10+ laps at VIR.

Shawn

09GTR08135

09GTR08135

Stock

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 26-February 17

Motul DCTF is nearly the same as OEM. Just much cheaper.

As far as a cooler goes, as soon as you start road coursing hot, you will likely find trans temps climbing. Unless the owner installed the DBA cooling lines (a pain in the ass, engine must be dropped), the CBA cooling lines are too small to keep the trans at a low temp when pushed hard. DBA did better, but still overheats in the southern heat with 10+ laps at VIR.

Shawn

Good to know. Is there any way to tell specifically if they are DBA lines or CBA?

What transmission fluid do you recommend for my next change? I went with Motul because they have good fluids and were at the best price point.

Sorry for all the questions - I really appreciate the insight  :)

Nosferatu

Nosferatu

Stage 1 Member

• 177 posts
  • Joined 13-March 16
  • LocationAhead of You :)

40K!?!?!?!?!?!?! YOU STOLE THAT!

Regardless, this is awesome to hear that there are 09s with 120k still going strong! Congrats!

Given that it has 120k miles I don't think so.  Considering you can get a car with half the mileage for maybe 10-15k more the car only lost another 10-15k for an additional 60k miles.  It's a good deal but more or less along the lines of what I expected.  Here's my quick national autotrader search sorting by mileage.  

Attached Images

• GTR.JPG

2014 Nissan GT-R :D 
Mods: FBO + Litchfield Suspension + Greddy Tranmission Cooler + AMS Race Intercooler + ETS 4" Titanium Exhaust + AP Racing Jhook rotors + Flex fuel kit + FORE Innovative + ECUTek Phase 5 + HRE 3 piece forged wheels with Titanium hardware
Best 60': 1.534 (R888 32psi)
Best ET: 10.247 Best MPH: 135.13

Other Rides:
2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus (Ara Blue Crystal)

09GTR08135

09GTR08135

Stock

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 26-February 17

Given that it has 120k miles I don't think so.  Considering you can get a car with half the mileage for maybe 10-15k more the car only lost another 10-15k for an additional 60k miles.  It's a good deal but more or less along the lines of what I expected.  Here's my quick national autotrader search sorting by mileage.  

I would agree, the NADA is around 43k so not incredibly underpriced. The mods and the new trans/timing assembly/etc made it more worth my while. Saving 10-15k and using that money to build the engine/trans I should have a better car than if I bought a stock one with 60k on the clock. The car also is in a LOT better shape than any other I found even with the mileage. 

Just a side note that the black car for 45k has been there for the entire time I was looking at GTRs (over a year, maybe 2) so I believe it is fake  :lol:

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,068 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Good to know. Is there any way to tell specifically if they are DBA lines or CBA?

What transmission fluid do you recommend for my next change? I went with Motul because they have good fluids and were at the best price point.

Sorry for all the questions - I really appreciate the insight  :)

389498_347961545221341_1720483930_n.jpg?

CBA lines on left, DBA line on right.  The ID of the DBA line is something like 28% bigger in area with a stupidly small increase in diameter.

If you're going to track the car hard, I cannot more highly recommend Dodson's fluid, or WillAll.  They are no doubt better for the "hard parts" of the transmission, and since they will be spending significant time HOT, you'll get good viscosity.  But, they are both significantly thicker than OEM.  There may be a downside to that, but we haven't proven that yet either.  If you're at stock power on a stock trans, there are plenty of well respected tuners who say the OEM fluids are superb.

However, the OEM fluid has proven itself very worthy, as well as Pentosin has a fluid for it, and although I can't PROVE the Motul is great, I think dollar for dollar and ounce for ounce the Motul is the best value.

Shawn

• 09GTR08135 likes this

09GTR08135

09GTR08135

Stock

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 26-February 17

389498_347961545221341_1720483930_n.jpg?

CBA lines on left, DBA line on right.  The ID of the DBA line is something like 28% bigger in area with a stupidly small increase in diameter.

If you're going to track the car hard, I cannot more highly recommend Dodson's fluid, or WillAll.  They are no doubt better for the "hard parts" of the transmission, and since they will be spending significant time HOT, you'll get good viscosity.  But, they are both significantly thicker than OEM.  There may be a downside to that, but we haven't proven that yet either.  If you're at stock power on a stock trans, there are plenty of well respected tuners who say the OEM fluids are superb.

However, the OEM fluid has proven itself very worthy, as well as Pentosin has a fluid for it, and although I can't PROVE the Motul is great, I think dollar for dollar and ounce for ounce the Motul is the best value.

Shawn

Gotcha - I'll stick with my Motul for this change and once I add an aftermarket transmission cooler I'll swap over to the thicker fluid/stainless filter. I believe I have the CBA lines as they seem to resemble the small lines in your photo. If I decide to hit the track before the cooler, being a novice in a GTR I don't think I'll push it past its limits. I'll keep my eye on the trans temps, or at least try to :P

Peter GT-R

Peter GT-R

Stock

• Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Joined 26-June 18

My engine is out and I started to think about changing tranny cooling lines for bigger than OE. It makes no sense for street driving as far as I know. But who knows maybe some day I will go to track to fill young again :)

I asked my Nissan dealership and they come out with same part numbers for CBA and DBA?

I will make custom lines bigger than DBA :)

Attached Images

• Screenshot 2018-12-22 at 20.19.36.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users