So I've got a little update on my GTR. Nothing crazy but still something I'd like to share.
- After getting the car back from Oakes Detailing after 4 weeks of waiting, I was so siked to get the car back that at first glance I was too excited to really look at the car closely. And as days passed I started noticing more and more things that I wasn't too pleased with. The full story is going to be posted in a separate review thread, but the cliff notes are; Poor attention to detail, car seemed rushed, neglected to cover multiple sections of the car, many edges of the film lifting day after delivery, did not receive any documentation (receipt or warranty cards for Xpel / CQuartz / 3M window tint), Horrible job at rectifying the mistakes after being notified of them, and VERY POOR communication and response time. Overall I would not recommend going here and personally I regret going to Oakes for the work.
- I installed the "Rexspeed" Carbon Fiber / Nitrogen Filled Hood dampers. GREAT BUY! Always been a fan of hood dampers over the hood prop. I just feel that this feature should be standard on all cars, especially a $100K+ car like the GTR. The install was a breeze and required removing some plastic clips and using factory nuts and bolts for mounting points of the dampers. They work great and look amazing. Not to mention offer obstruction free access to the under hood area.
- I also purchased the BlendMount for the V1 that I've had for almost 12 yrs. I had a hardwire kit already and decided to just solder / splice right into the wire of the homelink mirror, rather then purchase the custom pin tap that is available. This decision was more about instant gratification rather then cost savings. The blendmount came in 1 day from amazon. But the pin tap kit was gonna take 5 days to arrive, so I just said Fuck it and soldered right into the wire. I'm very good at wiring and soldering, as I used to build custom harnesses for automotive applications in my previous career. So it was a breeze for me. Took all of 20 minutes to install the mount and tap the power. The results came out great! I'm very happy with the BlendMount. Very high quality and well made product. A little on the expensive side. Was about $100 off Amazon. But It was well worth it to me. Very solid mounting with no shaking or bouncing. Extremely sturdy. Sits perfect and works great!
- I finally got through the excruciating break in period. I followed it to the "T" and made an appointment at Nissan World of Denville, NJ to have my 1k POS performed. The dealer was great. I recommend taking your GTR there for service. I met Richie the service adviser and he answered my 100 questions with no problem. He was patient and attentive to all my concerns. Herb the GTR Tech came out and introduced himself and was also very helpful in answering my questions. I felt comfortable leaving my car in their hands. They also provided an Altima loaner for me. The car was done by the end of the day. I elected to go for an unnecessary but precautionary oil change just to be on the safe side (my decision). However, the oil change ran me $338 and I felt that the $250 in labor was a bit egregious and gouging. Moving forward in the future, I will most likely change my own oil to save money. After picking up the car, I immediately can feel the difference in the Shifting after a TCM Relearn. I also noticed the handling was much better after the wheel alignment. Herb said the wheel alignment was all over the place and needed a lot of adjustment. He set it up with the track alignment settings as per my request. After passing the 1200 mile mark I finally hit WOT for the first time in this thing, and started feeling the car out and having fun in it. WOW, Its amazing! What a machine. I was smiling from ear to ear. I blinked and was doing 150+ before I knew it. Its scary! I've never owned or driven anything this powerful or fast so this is still new to me and I'm enjoying learning the car slowly in stock form. I can't wait to get it on the AutoCross and Road Course to learn the limits in a controlled and sanctioned environment. I'm anxious to whip it around the corners and feel those G's.
- I have an appointment to drop the car off at "Lightwerkz" for a headlight housing black out. I'm blacking out the chrome inner housing of the headlights. I personally hate the chrome and I believe blacking it out will look more aggressive and match the color theme of the car. It wont affect the performance of the headlights. and will be done super clean and professional and look factory. Pics to come next week.
Thats all for now! Thank you for reading and I'll keep you guys updated as I do more to her.
2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V - Molten Silver (Sold)
2006 Subaru Impreza STi - Crystal Gray Metallic (Sold)
2016 Nissan GTR - Gun Metallic (Toy)
2015 Subaru Forester (Daily)
2017 Suberu Forester (Wifey's Daily)