Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nice bulge or are you just happy to see me

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,790 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Thanks dude!! I had a little luck come my way but I will take it. It was an epic weekend and it was good to see you again buddy! Thanks for the help unloading my car and gear!

Fwiw, I was running low 2:30's during the race, nursing some heat issues and dealing with traffic. But just to give you an idea of the race pace for my class...
I didn't get into the 20's all weekend but also didn't have clean track or a perfect car.
Also FYI I'm running 315 front and 335 rear ;)
I may try bse's setup of 295/40 and 315/40 - he says they handle the heat better (more air volume so that makes sense) and I was noticing my tires fall off just slightly after a few laps, maybe overheating.

in your post, it sounded like you were having engine heat issues?  Or was it tire heat?  I just remember reading ur FB update that you backed off on the pace one you were in front.

In7anity!!

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,585 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

in your post, it sounded like you were having engine heat issues? Or was it tire heat? I just remember reading ur FB update that you backed off on the pace one you were in front.

Yes to both. Water temp was turning red after a few laps so I had to run the straights at part throttle to keep it happy. Tires would overheat after a few laps but backing off a little kept them happy.
All in all I was probably only getting 80-90% from the car but that's racing!
  • 7racer likes this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,790 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Yes to both. Water temp was turning red after a few laps so I had to run the straights at part throttle to keep it happy. Tires would overheat after a few laps but backing off a little kept them happy.
All in all I was probably only getting 80-90% from the car but that's racing!

man, your the first to really say something about water temp...usually thats pretty solid.  Did you have it when you were doing TT?

Was it because of traffic and lack of airflow?

What are you going to do fix it? Bumper cut outs? Bigger radiator?

• elf_cruiser likes this

In7anity!!

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,683 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
My 100% stock OEM '14 has has water temp issues on a short track here in CA (http://www.gtrherita...-build/?p=76449)

114 deg C (red) on the back straight at Streets of Willow with 0 traffic.

Hasn't come back since then, but kinda weary of it now.

Dave
  • 7racer likes this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,585 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

man, your the first to really say something about water temp...usually thats pretty solid. Did you have it when you were doing TT?
Was it because of traffic and lack of airflow?

What are you going to do fix it? Bumper cut outs? Bigger radiator?

Yeah forty-two was telling me that his highest water temp has been 207 at COTA and he has more laps around there than anyone. Yes the water temps were an issue before, but TT is usually only 15 minute sessions so it wasn't a big deal. Sprint races are 30 minutes so it's kind of a problem now.
BSE thinks it is because of my Dodson low temp thermostat (which is supposed to help cooling, duh) passing water too auickly through the radiator and not allowing it to cool off. He's going to install a stock thermostat soon and hopefully that will help.

I do plan to get a Top Racing front bumper and some wide fenders (undecided on fenders yet) and that should help as well.
  • 7racer likes this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,567 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

maybe the specV coolant tank might help too? (slightly larger). fwiw i've not seen water issues either though haven't had near as much track time as either of you guys. maybe you just need his bumper cutouts :)

• forty-two, 7racer and elf_cruiser like this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,592 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

maybe the specV coolant tank might help too? (slightly larger). fwiw i've not seen water issues either though haven't had near as much track time as either of you guys. maybe you just need his bumper cutouts :)

SpecV tank doesn't help with temps. It only helps with boil over.

I wish it helped more.

Paradoxically, CBA's have a little less water temp problems than DBA's for the most part. The trans cooling and oil cooling is less effective, keeping the water temps lower. Most of us would trade better trans and oil cooling compared to water temps. DBA keeps the average temp lower.

Shawn

Edited by shawnhayes, 01 June 2017 - 05:21 PM.

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,790 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

I thought the Nismo coolant helped with a bit extra capacity?

I hope the upgraded radiator and other crazy cooling stuff will work with my new build  :huh:

In7anity!!

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,592 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

I thought the Nismo coolant helped with a bit extra capacity?

I hope the upgraded radiator and other crazy cooling stuff will work with my new build  :huh:

One would hope, but it doesn't seem to really.  If one is increasing the FLOW rate, or the surface area of the cooling surfaces.  That would do it.  But, just increasing the dead space outside the tank doesn't do much of either - the Spec V would overflow the tank when it came off track.  Nissan increased the size of the tank to prevent that.  But, it's not REALLY supposed to help anything.

On the other hand, the upgraded cap DOES decrease the coolant temp.  No doubt.  At all.  Increasing the pressure increases the density (slight) with a corresponding increase in flow rate.  Maybe it's just changing the amount that ends up outside the tank, but it for sure improves the cooling a little bit.

Shawn

• 7racer likes this

dinny

dinny

Stock

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Joined 08-November 15
There not the figures of a worker

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,592 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

There not the figures of a worker

This doesn't make any sense.

Shawn

dinny

dinny

Stock

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Joined 08-November 15
No offense ment just the nicely manicured finger nails holding the slip of paper.. Unlike mine lol

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,592 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

No offense ment just the nicely manicured finger nails holding the slip of paper.. Unlike mine lol

None taken, but your initial quote said "figures" which doesn't make any sense.

But that's the silliest shit I've heard all day. I mean, my fingernails are all tattered up too, but that doesn't mean anything.

They make these things called "gloves" which help a lot.

Shawn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users