Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Quieter Options Than Linney Titan

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Colin8989

Colin8989

Stock

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Joined 04-October 16
I am wondering what are the best options for a quieter exhaust than a Linney Titan. It was ok at first but now after 3 months it's ridiculously loud I can't even here my girlfriend speaking loudly at 100 km/hr. I only bought it under the impression it was quiet I know everyone's opinion is different but it drones like crazy and if I wanted a car with a bolt on loud back box I would have just bought a civic. Im guessing there are no options for resonated midpipe to fit with the Titan. I am thinking HKS Resonated midpipe and Legamax. Any opinions?

MMC Racing

MMC Racing

Stage 2 Member

• 242 posts
  • Joined 30-December 14
  • LocationNew Mexico

Titan Street or Race?  Stock or aftermarket downpipes?

2015 GT-R Deep Blue Pearl Premium
Linney EFR 7158 turbos, Tuning, SD Kit, Traction Control Knob, AWD Controller | Ecutek BT | ID2000 injectors | SBD Intakes, 4" Exhaust, Downpipes, FFT Wheels | Shep 1K | T1 Trans Brace
Visconti Flex Fuel, Fuel Basket with dual 485, Hardwire Kit | Buschur Race Intercooler, Pro Catch Can | AMS built short block

2016 Mustang GT
Procharger Stage 2 | nGauge | Lund Tuning | Long Tube Headers

Dan_585

Dan_585

Stage 4 Member

• 1,201 posts
  • Joined 30-August 15

I am thinking HKS Resonated midpipe and Legamax.

Can't go wrong with the HKS setup. Love mine. Here's a short clip of the non-res midpipe/legamax cat on my car.

Edit: Stock Downpipes

https://youtu.be/ulXK7fvqys4

Edited by Dan_585, 28 February 2017 - 04:30 PM.

Colin8989

Colin8989

Stock

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Joined 04-October 16

Titan Street or Race? Stock or aftermarket downpipes?

Titan Street and aftermarket downpipes not sure what brand.

MMC Racing

MMC Racing

Stage 2 Member

• 242 posts
  • Joined 30-December 14
  • LocationNew Mexico

That exhaust is tame with stock downpipes, but you are past that step.  Piecing together a resonated midpipe with another cat-back with mufflers is the best way to have a tame exhaust with aftermarket downpipes.  Another option could be going back to stock cat-back with non-resonated midpipe.  

2015 GT-R Deep Blue Pearl Premium
Linney EFR 7158 turbos, Tuning, SD Kit, Traction Control Knob, AWD Controller | Ecutek BT | ID2000 injectors | SBD Intakes, 4" Exhaust, Downpipes, FFT Wheels | Shep 1K | T1 Trans Brace
Visconti Flex Fuel, Fuel Basket with dual 485, Hardwire Kit | Buschur Race Intercooler, Pro Catch Can | AMS built short block

2016 Mustang GT
Procharger Stage 2 | nGauge | Lund Tuning | Long Tube Headers

Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,409 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13

Boost Logic and ETS Titanium are quieter... We also supply Armytrix, which are very quiet due to their Valvetronic design!  

Doug Ross
Owner of Weapons Grade Performance
-Northeast/Pacific Northwest Shops where we ONLY work on GT-Rs
-Owner/Builder of the 1st Ever Home Garage GT-R Drivetrain Removal
Cobb Protuner / EcuTek Tuner
-All Wheel Drive Mustang Dyno in House
doug@weaponsgradeperformance.com
Our Online Store
East Coast Location 226 N. Plains Industrial Rd, Wallingford CT 06492 203-668-4765

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,565 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Hey Collin,

if you want a real smooth sounding exhaust, the Akrapovic is super nice but expensive and might restrict flow in a high HP car.

I also just got the Kline inconel one but its kinda exotic.

I know a lot of the guys at Jotech run the Greddy.  I am always surprised by that exhaust.  Nice looking, light, good price...and man does it sound nice.  Its really subdued but when you go WOT you know it.

In7anity!!

Tim1137

Tim1137

Stage 1 Member

• 189 posts
  • Joined 04-January 16
  • LocationSomerset MA

The HKS legamax with a resonated midpipe is a good option, although rather quiet.

Do you have catless downpipes?

Colin8989

Colin8989

Stock

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Joined 04-October 16
I had a Greddy super ti and sold it as it was even louder than this now I'm still not happy the car has catless downpipes but not sure what brand they just look stainless.
Would a HKS resonated or any resonated mid pipe fit with the Linney Titan?
Honestly I don't mind very quiet I'd actually prefer it for comfort and so I could have more fun in the car without worrying about cops.

Ben

Ben

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 105 posts
  • Joined 15-March 13

I had a Greddy super ti and sold it as it was even louder than this now I'm still not happy the car has catless downpipes but not sure what brand they just look stainless.
Honestly I don't mind very quiet I'd actually prefer it for comfort and so I could have more fun in the car without worrying about cops.

If you want VERY quiet..put oem cats back in... very few exhausts are quieter than the Titan Street with large mufflers
  • jdmrb1 likes this

L.L.

L.L.

Stock

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 02-September 16
  • LocationSan Diego

Also had Greddy 94mm Ti on my car for about two weeks. That was crazy loud with stock downpipes. Couldn't imagine the drone+rasp and what it'd sound like with catless DPs. The config that worked best for me was stock downpipes with resonated midpipe + stock catback. With catless DPs installed, the drone and volume returned even with stock catback. All personal preference but I HATE drone and will do everything possible to eliminate it. 

If stock silence with catless DPs is what you're after, the Litchfield triple-silenced 102mm system (total of 5 mufflers) would be my recommendation. Be forewarned, some folks in the UK end up selling it because it's too quiet but that is what I was looking for. My preference for an exhaust is ZERO drone, minimal exhaust noise, with the performance benefit of 102mm piping. The sound of spooling ballbearing turbos is what does it for me. Installed mine on Monday night and it is as advertised. Litchfield did a great job in designing the exhaust to conform to track sound dB limitations. Will have sound clips and write-up soon. 

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg

Edited by L.L., 01 March 2017 - 06:11 PM.

IMG_1064_400.jpg

2015 Nissan GT-R Premium

AMS Alpha 9+ Turbochargers | AMS Alpha Induction Kit | AMS Alpha Front Mount Intercooler
AMS Alpha 3" Intakes | AMS Alpha 90mm Downpipes | Litchfield 102mm Triple Silenced Exhaust
AMS 4.0 BAR Map Sensor | AMS Alpha Coolant Expansion Tank | AMS Alpha Splash Shield 

Speed Density on Cobb AP3 | ID1300 Injectors | Tial Q BOV | DW300C Fuel Pumps | GotBoost Flexfuel Kit | GotBoost Fuel Pressure Monitoring Kit 

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,255 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
Greddy is not loud or raspy at all and I have a full ETS turbo kit. Way less drone than my old setup and sounds awesome at WOT

Colin8989

Colin8989

Stock

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Joined 04-October 16
I appreciate all the replies but I have to agree with L.L my Greddy was very high pitch and raspy the Titan is better but still way too much drone. I'll have to research this litchfield system thanks all.

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,847 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha

Adding a single Borla muffler to my midpipe on a completely cat-free system got rid of 100% of the raspy (i.e. crappy pickup truck) sounds and killed any cruising drone.  Still sounds great at WOT though.  I'm guessing you might have some difficulty finding a fabricator that is able to modify a Ti system, but if you can it could be cheaper/easier than completely replacing the whole system.

• SwissMTNAlien likes this
-Jeff

wspy

wspy

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 194 posts
  • Joined 04-January 13
  • LocationJamaica WI

^ Good to know.

L.L.

L.L.

Stock

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 02-September 16
  • LocationSan Diego

Adding a single Borla muffler to my midpipe on a completely cat-free system got rid of 100% of the raspy (i.e. crappy pickup truck) sounds and killed any cruising drone. Still sounds great at WOT though. I'm guessing you might have some difficulty finding a fabricator that is able to modify a Ti system, but if you can it could be cheaper/easier than completely replacing the whole system.

Adding the Borla XR1 muffler to my AMS midpipe did wonders with stock DPs. I'm guessing Colin is in a similar situation and goals are similar but the catless DPs changes things quite a bit in terms of volume and drone.

He could attempt to add a properly sized 4" muffler (if he can find one) to the Linney 4" section of the midpipe but, from looking at the pictures of the MP, it may not physically fit because of the short length. And even then, the one additional muffler may not eliminate all of the drone. Typically Titanium is thinner than SS so that also plays a factor in how the system sounds.

Anyway, here's the sound clip video of the Litchfield exhaust in various driving scenarios as mentioned in my previous post for anyone who might be interested in a super quiet exhaust that cancels out the drone of catless DPs very well. Best listened to with headphones or full range speakers.

Edited by L.L., 04 March 2017 - 02:05 PM.

• HiBoost likes this

IMG_1064_400.jpg

2015 Nissan GT-R Premium

AMS Alpha 9+ Turbochargers | AMS Alpha Induction Kit | AMS Alpha Front Mount Intercooler
AMS Alpha 3" Intakes | AMS Alpha 90mm Downpipes | Litchfield 102mm Triple Silenced Exhaust
AMS 4.0 BAR Map Sensor | AMS Alpha Coolant Expansion Tank | AMS Alpha Splash Shield 

Speed Density on Cobb AP3 | ID1300 Injectors | Tial Q BOV | DW300C Fuel Pumps | GotBoost Flexfuel Kit | GotBoost Fuel Pressure Monitoring Kit 

Thomrs

Thomrs

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 19-September 13
Hi Colin,

Thank you for this thread I follow this the greatest interest as I'm bored with the drone/sound level inside my car, even when I drive at low rev. (my setup is Gtc decat. downpipes, Hks resonated Y, Hks Legamax).

Thank you for your contribution, L.L., I'm very close to buy Litchfield triple silenced system. You seem to have tried a lot of exhaust, L.L., would you confirm you have now the less drone you could expect from a catless dp setup?

Many thanks
Thom

Colin8989

Colin8989

Stock

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Joined 04-October 16

Hi Colin,

Thank you for this thread I follow this the greatest interest as I'm bored with the drone/sound level inside my car, even when I drive at low rev. (my setup is Gtc decat. downpipes, Hks resonated Y, Hks Legamax).

Thank you for your contribution, L.L., I'm very close to buy Litchfield triple silenced system. You seem to have tried a lot of exhaust, L.L., would you confirm you have now the less drone you could expect from a catless dp setup?

Many thanks
Thom

Hi Thom so you are saying you still have drone with the HKS Legamax and Resonated Y pipe? If so that's interesting as well as before I set this thread up I would have assumed it was quietest. I'll keep this thread updated when I make a decision and probably change it.

Colin8989

Colin8989

Stock

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Joined 04-October 16

Adding the Borla XR1 muffler to my AMS midpipe did wonders with stock DPs. I'm guessing Colin is in a similar situation and goals are similar but the catless DPs changes things quite a bit in terms of volume and drone.

He could attempt to add a properly sized 4" muffler (if he can find one) to the Linney 4" section of the midpipe but, from looking at the pictures of the MP, it may not physically fit because of the short length. And even then, the one additional muffler may not eliminate all of the drone. Typically Titanium is thinner than SS so that also plays factor in how the system sounds.

Anyway, here's the sound clip video of the Litchfield exhaust in various driving scenarios as mentioned in my previous post for anyone who might be interested in a super quiet exhaust that cancels out the drone of catless DPs very well. Best listened to with headphones or full range speakers.

https://youtu.be/vMgmTvzVF00

I agree I think it's not worth trying a resonator for the hassle of working with titanium then if it's still not quiet will be harder to sell.

That video was great what did you use? I know mine sounds a lot quieter on video than in person but I can tell huge differences yours is way quieter than mine. I'll have to get on to Litchfield and get a price.

Thanks again man.

L.L.

L.L.

Stock

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 02-September 16
  • LocationSan Diego

Hi Colin,

Many thanks
Thom

Hi Thom -- I've always tried to stick with the stock OEM catback section to minimize excessive exhaust sound/drone with different combinations up front. We do take the car on long drives often so it has to be tolerable. The catless DPs were always my concern because everyone I knew said they would introduce drone and they were right. After listening to the video with various speakers and headphones, I feel it's louder in the video than in person as there are some lower tones that are not present in the car. So, yes, I can confirm the drone has been substantially eliminated which was what I was after. 

I agree I think it's not worth trying a resonator for the hassle of working with titanium then if it's still not quiet will be harder to sell.

That video was great what did you use? I know mine sounds a lot quieter on video than in person but I can tell huge differences yours is way quieter than mine. I'll have to get on to Litchfield and get a price.

Thanks again man.

Glad to help. I used a Canon Powershot ELPH 300HS camera mounted on a tripod. It's actually quieter in person and I felt the microphone on the camera amplified certain lower frequencies that are not heard in real life and not so much the high frequencies (can't hear my turbos that well) but it's fairly easy to tell the drone was not present in the normal driving sections of the video.

I'll leave this video here as well. This is Litchfield's track test video with the blue GTR running the same system on the track. Starts at 3:03 if skipping first parts of the video. Compared to the gray GTR, the reduction in volume and drone is apparent. It comes alive at WOT but once they back off the throttle, there is not much to be heard. That is the video Lee at Litchfield had me listen to prior to making the decision. 

Edited by L.L., 04 March 2017 - 02:07 PM.

IMG_1064_400.jpg

2015 Nissan GT-R Premium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users