Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Any interest in 11-14lb carbon fiber wheels?

- - - - - ese carbon fiber wheels carbonfiber wheels

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,549 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

SO, I have been interested in my next set of wheels and hopefully some 19x13s square with my Brypar uprights.

http://www.gtrherita...-its-happening/

While I do like the Carbon Rev ones, they seem to be heavy and not take advantage of current ways to make carbon fiber items "light"

http://www.carbonrev.com/technology

I've been interested in this company (as well as Proteus design):

http://esecarbon.com/technology.html

they use pre-preg fibers and autoclave them (as you would expect with a dry CF layup) which requires less resin and hence less weight (more resin in the Carbon Rev one).  The Carbon Rev ones are NOT autoclaved.

This allows a pretty light wheel and crazy pics like this:

12640324_559064264248455_5238220255929694246_o.jpg

The problem is, the company has been pretty AWOL.  They have promised these wheels for a LONG time to some early Tesla guys and still no delivery:

https://teslamotorsc...s.47802/page-35

Last night I was debating on ordering a set of Carbon Rev ones, but thought I would inquire with ESE at least once.

I started with what I thought was a web inquiry form and ended up in a chat with someone at ESE (maybe the owner?).  

What I was encourage by was that they are a REAL company and in the progress of shipping out their first orders SOON.

He realistically stated that if I ordered a set of wheels I would have them before the end of the year (stated Sept or Aug but told him I wouldn't hold him to that).

He also stated that since these wheels are autoclaved they have MUCH higher heat tolerance and don't need the ceramic coating as is seen on the Carbon Rev ones.

also for my 19x13 he was guessing the weight would come in around 11lbs!

I asked him about different spoke patterns and he stated the five spoke is one of the strongest.  They don't plan to offer any new patterns until they get these out and LATER will offer more variety.

I was also encouraged as they had a booth at SEMA where you could hold their production wheels as they stated they were really close to shipping.

The videos of people grabbing the wheel are insane.

in this one she says the wheel is 9lbs!

https://www.facebook...81958968625650/

The guy on the chat offered me some incentives to buy the wheel and I told him I was super interested and send more info.

I started thinking if other people were also interested I could let him know too.

Just realize that this company is NEW....while I think they are legit, who knows if they will disappear and go bankrupt.

I really think this is one of the next big things to increase performance and reduce unsprung weight.

Maybe I can make a set of drag wheels with these!

(ps they easily support the heavy weight of the GT-R)

• Tim, eremamuh and ReighDuarl like this

In7anity!!

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,121 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Looks a lot like the original GTR wheel.  Sleeper much?

I wouldn't hold my breathe though.. nor would I wanna be the first guy running them at the track...

Dave

bpauto

bpauto

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 570 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13

SO, I have been interested in my next set of wheels and hopefully some 19x13s square with my Brypar uprights.

http://www.gtrherita...-its-happening/

While I do like the Carbon Rev ones, they seem to be heavy and not take advantage of current ways to make carbon fiber items "light"

http://www.carbonrev.com/technology

I've been interested in this company (as well as Proteus design):

http://esecarbon.com/technology.html

they use pre-preg fibers and autoclave them (as you would expect with a dry CF layup) which requires less resin and hence less weight (more resin in the Carbon Rev one).  The Carbon Rev ones are NOT autoclaved.

This allows a pretty light wheel and crazy pics like this:

attachicon.gif12640324_559064264248455_5238220255929694246_o.jpg

The problem is, the company has been pretty AWOL.  They have promised these wheels for a LONG time to some early Tesla guys and still no delivery:

https://teslamotorsc...s.47802/page-35

Last night I was debating on ordering a set of Carbon Rev ones, but thought I would inquire with ESE at least once.

I started with what I thought was a web inquiry form and ended up in a chat with someone at ESE (maybe the owner?).  

What I was encourage by was that they are a REAL company and in the progress of shipping out their first orders SOON.

He realistically stated that if I ordered a set of wheels I would have them before the end of the year (stated Sept or Aug but told him I wouldn't hold him to that).

He also stated that since these wheels are autoclaved they have MUCH higher heat tolerance and don't need the ceramic coating as is seen on the Carbon Rev ones.

also for my 19x13 he was guessing the weight would come in around 11lbs!

I asked him about different spoke patterns and he stated the five spoke is one of the strongest.  They don't plan to offer any new patterns until they get these out and LATER will offer more variety.

I was also encouraged as they had a booth at SEMA where you could hold their production wheels as they stated they were really close to shipping.

The videos of people grabbing the wheel are insane.

in this one she says the wheel is 9lbs!

https://www.facebook...81958968625650/

The guy on the chat offered me some incentives to buy the wheel and I told him I was super interested and send more info.

I started thinking if other people were also interested I could let him know too.

Just realize that this company is NEW....while I think they are legit, who knows if they will disappear and go bankrupt.

I really think this is one of the next big things to increase performance and reduce unsprung weight.

Maybe I can make a set of drag wheels with these!

(ps they easily support the heavy weight of the GT-R)

These guys took a lot of money from the Tesla community over the last few years and haven't been able to show anything that's even remotely close to a production-ready product. (Lambo community, too.)

Enjoy 36 pages:

https://teslamotorsc...ber-rims.47802/

Bob, if you want to continue with them, be very very careful!

If you're interested in CF hybrid wheels, let us know because we have the resources to do something custom if you're interested.

• Tim and 7racer like this

gtrrforumsignature.jpg

213.745.6954 | sales@gt-rr.com                                                   
Official North American Distributor: Top Secret, Amuse, Mines, Do Luck, Varis, TOMMYKAIRA / Rowen, Voltex, JUN, ESPRIT, Top Racing, ZELE + More!

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,549 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

These guys took a lot of money from the Tesla community over the last few years and haven't been able to show anything that's even remotely close to a production-ready product. (Lambo community, too.)

Enjoy 36 pages:

https://teslamotorsc...ber-rims.47802/

Bob, if you want to continue with them, be very very careful!

If you're interested in CF hybrid wheels, let us know because we have the resources to do something custom if you're interested.

I know! I'm on the Tesla forum and have been part of that thread.  I still might take a chance and put a deposit down.  The Tesla guys should be getting theirs soon and can see how it pans out.

In7anity!!

bpauto

bpauto

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 570 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13

I know! I'm on the Tesla forum and have been part of that thread.  I still might take a chance and put a deposit down.  The Tesla guys should be getting theirs soon and can see how it pans out.

We're very skeptical, as these guys have been all talk over the last couple years with a lot of unfulfilled promises and not even a single working prototype. There have been several guys we know that even tried to get their deposits back, unsuccessfully, after waiting much longer than initially promised.

By the way, even if the wheels are autoclaved carbon, whether they use ultra-high temp resistant resin is a different story. The aerospace industry uses the ultra-high temp stuff and it's obscenely expensive (one of our in-house carbon guys used to work with it regularly when he was building fighter jets). With that said, for what ESE is charging, it's unlikely that their wheels (if they ever make them) can handle the types of temps your GT-R's brakes are exuding at the track for sustained periods of time. It's also most likely why Carbon Rev utilizes the ceramic coating method.

• Tim and HiBoost like this

gtrrforumsignature.jpg

213.745.6954 | sales@gt-rr.com                                                   
Official North American Distributor: Top Secret, Amuse, Mines, Do Luck, Varis, TOMMYKAIRA / Rowen, Voltex, JUN, ESPRIT, Top Racing, ZELE + More!

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
I'm going to say wait for them to ship orders first. then wait for the next round if things turn out. sounds like they are not going to follow through.

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,549 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

We're very skeptical, as these guys have been all talk over the last couple years with a lot of unfulfilled promises and not even a single working prototype. There have been several guys we know that even tried to get their deposits back, unsuccessfully, after waiting much longer than initially promised.

By the way, even if the wheels are autoclaved carbon, whether they use ultra-high temp resistant resin is a different story. The aerospace industry uses the ultra-high temp stuff and it's obscenely expensive (one of our in-house carbon guys used to work with it regularly when he was building fighter jets). With that said, for what ESE is charging, it's unlikely that their wheels (if they ever make them) can handle the types of temps your GT-R's brakes are exuding at the track for sustained periods of time. It's also most likely why Carbon Rev utilizes the ceramic coating method.

I hear ya.  I did ask about the temp already and I wish I had the copy of the convo but I think he said 790F?

In7anity!!

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,031 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

I hear ya. I did ask about the temp already and I wish I had the copy of the convo but I think he said 790F?

That's nowhere near high enough. Center of rotor hat on the GT-R on a short track can eclipse that in five braking zones or less.

Shawn
  • elf_cruiser and bpauto like this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,549 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

That's nowhere near high enough. Center of rotor hat on the GT-R on a short track can eclipse that in five braking zones or less.

Shawn

I brought that up and he stated the temp at the rim is lower....obviously.  But still needs to take the heat.

In7anity!!

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,549 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

fluff literature.

Attached File  ESE Carbon_Engineering and Manufacturing_Brochure_2016 (2).pdf   6.94MB   121 downloads

In7anity!!

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,031 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

I brought that up and he stated the temp at the rim is lower....obviously.  But still needs to take the heat.

The hub is not much cooler.  When the hub is bolted to the center of the rotor hat it is exposed to that temp at the bolt holes.  Check your temps on your hubs at the track next time.  It will floor you.

Shawn

• 7racer and bpauto like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ese, carbon fiber, wheels, carbonfiber wheels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users