Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lexan windows, what are downsides?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

changster

changster

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,305 posts
  • Joined 26-January 13
  • LocationBay Area + Taipei

Anyone have experience driving around with Lexan windows? 

If you assume you can still have power windows and the fitment is good, does it still suck to have Lexan windows? I know it's easier to scratch.

http://www.plastics4...window-kit.html

- 4.4 liter Alpha 12 built by TSM (R.I.P)
- 4.1 liter ER/ETS 6466 built myself with the help of everyone.

- 4.2 liter billet block <? big boy kit> coming.

13180940063_33e81c30d6_z.jpg

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,288 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
I highly doubt you can lexan the door windows without a lot of work. Lexan is flimsy as fuck. Think that's why ams built a custom upper channel for their door ones to locate and give it strength.

B pillar and rear windscreen would be simpler to do.

Dave

Edited by thehelix112, 14 January 2017 - 10:43 PM.

• changster likes this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,288 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
You can see the support brackets here http://blog.amsperfo...ord_exhaust.jpg
  • Tim and changster like this

Tony1

Tony1

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 953 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12

Yeah, you don't want to do lexan in a street car. 

• Tim, changster and elf_cruiser like this

T1racedevelopment.com

Injectordynamics.com

214-607-9022

changster

changster

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,305 posts
  • Joined 26-January 13

Yeah, you don't want to do lexan in a street car. 

Because it'll be bending and flapping everywhere under the wind?

• Tim likes this

Dan_585

Dan_585

Stage 4 Member

• 1,640 posts
  • Joined 30-August 15

I don't think lexan windows are street legal either. But then again neither is most of the stuff on our cars lol

Tony1

Tony1

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 953 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12

Yeah, lexan door windows need a frame.  Since the GTR doesn't have an upper frame around the window like some cars, if you put a flexible window in there it'll pull out on top at high speed unless you build a frame for it.   At that point, power windows are out the door, but you can save a lot more weight since you're ditching everything inside the door.   Not worth it in a street car though, cons far outweigh the pros. 

• HiBoost likes this

T1racedevelopment.com

Injectordynamics.com

214-607-9022

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,010 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
I wpuld also argue that lexan isn't much lighter than glass by volume. So the real weight savings from lexan has to come from the thickness. You would need to do like .120 or .095 thick windows, which would be very flimsy and would only save a few lbs. my glass windows are out of the car and they don't weigh more than 7-8 lbs each.

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,010 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
The rear glass would be the best place to try for weight savings...

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,086 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

The rear glass would be the best place to try for weight savings...

Roger that., 

And the front, but then you have to add the support frames as well, and won't be street legal and totally obvious to the cops and everyone else.

Shawn

bpauto

bpauto

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 570 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13

Hey Changster,

We run Lexan windows in our Overtake carbon GT-R (front, door, rears)

(

If your trying to save weight by replacing the OEM glass this is a great option, however they are certain things which we've learned from running Lexan windows that I want to

bring to your attention.

You won't be able to run the windshield wipers as they will scratch the windshield, so driving in the rain is...interesting 

Secondly, you'll have issues attaching the rear view mirror to the window (ours fell off a few times) we had to use an industrial strength adhesive 

We also found it unnecessary to reinforce the driver and passenger doors, the Lexan replacements we used fit almost perfectly.

To answer your question if it sucks: No, Not really, but i wouldn't recommend it for street use, ever.

The main reason race cars use Lexan is that it doesn't shatter similar to how glass would on impact.

Hope this helps!

-Jon

• changster and 7racer like this

gtrrforumsignature.jpg

213.745.6954 | sales@gt-rr.com                                                   
Official North American Distributor: Top Secret, Amuse, Mines, Do Luck, Varis, TOMMYKAIRA / Rowen, Voltex, JUN, ESPRIT, Top Racing, ZELE + More!

Tony1

Tony1

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 953 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12
How fast have you been in this car since doing the lexan?

T1racedevelopment.com

Injectordynamics.com

214-607-9022

bpauto

bpauto

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 570 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13

How fast have you been in this car since doing the lexan?

>100mph many times, but as far as exact speed, don't remember exactly.

gtrrforumsignature.jpg

Official North American Distributor: Top Secret, Amuse, Mines, Do Luck, Varis, TOMMYKAIRA / Rowen, Voltex, JUN, ESPRIT, Top Racing, ZELE + More!

Tony1

Tony1

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 953 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12
Interesting. Is it thicker than .125"?

The lexan that's on my car and Gidi's car are perfect fit, it's an exact replica of the stock glass, but without a frame they will pull away from the roof line at high speed.

In the street world, 100mph is fast, on a race car, it's nothing. Maybe this is happening over 150mph, something MOST street cars would rarely see but something a car like mine sees much more than.

I would be absolutely blown away if an 1/8" lexan window on a GTR, in a factory fitment configuration, would hold up anywhere near the top speed of a stock GTR.
  • changster and socalaviator like this

T1racedevelopment.com

Injectordynamics.com

214-607-9022

changster

changster

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,305 posts
  • Joined 26-January 13

Thanks for the color guys.

I was only looking at this because it looks like it can save up to 80lbs from my little Miss Piggy (4050lbs!).

Onto the next...

bpauto

bpauto

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 570 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13

Interesting. Is it thicker than .125"?

The lexan that's on my car and Gidi's car are perfect fit, it's an exact replica of the stock glass, but without a frame they will pull away from the roof line at high speed.

In the street world, 100mph is fast, on a race car, it's nothing. Maybe this is happening over 150mph, something MOST street cars would rarely see but something a car like mine sees much more than.

I would be absolutely blown away if an 1/8" lexan window on a GTR, in a factory fitment configuration, would hold up anywhere near the top speed of a stock GTR.

Yeah, the door glass definitely starts to hover just a tiny bit at speeds over 100mph, but not enough where a dramatic amount of air is getting behind. 

gtrrforumsignature.jpg

Tony1

Tony1

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 953 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12

Not too far past the window starting to pull out a bit is the window flying off the car! lol

T1racedevelopment.com

Injectordynamics.com

214-607-9022

mikelmarion

mikelmarion

Stage 2 Member

• 240 posts
  • Joined 31-March 17

old thread update.  Have any of you guys tried optic Armour? Supposed to be superior to lexan in clarity and a few other details.  They offer pre cut drop ins that look exactly like oem.  Even tinted versions 

• changster, 7racer and elf_cruiser like this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,010 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
I'll check that out. I've got to make some lexan windows in the next few weeks anyways...
  • 7racer, thehelix112 and mikelmarion like this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,010 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Combed through their web site - http://www.opticarmo...com/default.asp

Nothing for the R35 :(
It sounds like they do custom windows but I'm sure it's expensive...
  • thehelix112 and mikelmarion like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users