Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

R35 NASA Super Touring Road Race Build

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,472 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

nice beads on the welds BTW!

when you bend piping like that, any chance of it collapsing? Does it get hot or does that machine basically make it a no brainer.

• elf_cruiser likes this

In7anity!!

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,393 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

nice beads on the welds BTW!

when you bend piping like that, any chance of it collapsing? Does it get hot or does that machine basically make it a no brainer.

Good question, and that's the main difference between a proper tubing bender and the simple pipe benders from Home Depot. A proper bender pulls the tubing through a set of dies, the dies are machined to fit a specific OD of tube (1.75" in my case) and so the tube is fully supported and pressure is applied equally around the circumference of the tube. Since it gets pulled through the machine as it is bent, there is no kinking or stretching of the tube itself.
  • 7racer likes this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,393 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Hey guys, just another weekly update. I got the front pedastal boxes done as well as the A pillars this weekend. We took our time and really nailed the fitment on the A pillars. I'll be able to weld them directly to the body in about 3 places which should really help chassis stiffness. I am really liking how things are shaping up now.

Attached Images

• IMG_5132.JPG
  • IMG_5133.JPG
  • IMG_5131.JPG
  • IMG_5134.JPG
  • IMG_5135.JPG
  • IMG_5138.JPG
  • IMG_5139.JPG
  • IMG_5130.JPG
  • IMG_5124.JPG
  • IMG_5127.JPG
  • IMG_5129.JPG

• 7racer likes this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,305 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Nice man.
  • elf_cruiser likes this

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,236 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
Awesome, this is a lot of fun to watch come together!
  • elf_cruiser likes this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,472 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Hey Elf,

what are the rules for your class?  Any suspension stuff?  Wide fenders? Big aero?

• elf_cruiser likes this

In7anity!!

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,393 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

Hey Elf,

what are the rules for your class? Any suspension stuff? Wide fenders? Big aero?

Just about anything with 4 tires can race with NASA. Most of the rules are around safety. The cage requirements/specs are very very detailed, for example. Certain tubes have to be certain sizes/thicknesses, and others don't matter. They get very granular about where tubes intersect and how they tie into the chassis.

As for classing, that is mostly based on power to weight and then there are penalty points for advantages like AWD, DCT, tire size, weight etc. There is a 2 page classing sheet that you put all those details into and you come up with your class. Super Touring has 5 classes from Unlimited, ST1, ST2, ST3, and ST4.
As for aero the only major rule is that active aero is not allowed. Also they won't allow the big crazy aero packages due to contact. Huge splitters and front wings could puncture someone's tires or fall off and cause an accident behind you. That's why you only see that kind of crazy aero in Time Attack cars where there is no chance of contact.
That being said, you can absolutely do a good front splitter and canards like the Nismo GT3 for example...
  • 7racer and Steve Theodore like this

Steve Theodore

Steve Theodore

Stage 4 Member

• 408 posts
  • Joined 23-November 14
  • LocationNorth Bend, WA

Semi-related, but how did you care for the Sparco Evo 2 seat?  I've been thinking about one for my daily driver but only if it's 'reasonably comfortable'.  I have OEM seats that aren't terribly comfortable to me in my STi and was thinking about doing one for the drivers side only.  Lame thought or possible from your POV?

• elf_cruiser likes this

Steve Theodore

2014 Nissan GT-R

- Kline Inconel grade 625 full exhaust, ForgeLine GA1R Open-Lug Cap wheels

2010 Porsche 911 GT3 RS

- SharkWerks exhaust bypass, lots of OEM goodness

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,393 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

Semi-related, but how did you care for the Sparco Evo 2 seat? I've been thinking about one for my daily driver but only if it's 'reasonably comfortable'. I have OEM seats that aren't terribly comfortable to me in my STi and was thinking about doing one for the drivers side only. Lame thought or possible from your POV?

I would say go for it! I drove mine around town a lot with the Evo2 in it and I was very comfortable. I put the seat further back then the factory seat to get more legroom and it definitely gives you more headroom as well. I'm 6'6" and 210 lbs with a 36" waist and 37" inseam if that helps. The Evo2 is a snug fit but not uncomfortable. I'm not sure if I would take a road trip in it, but an hour or so is no problem at all.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Jared@SFS, tgkb278