Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New SiR Garrett Gen 2 Turbo Options

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Bill@SiR

Bill@SiR

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 457 posts
  • Joined 21-December 12
  • LocationMiami FL

POPULAR

And....?!

They make more power, but not as much as the advertised gain due to housing restrictions.  I have not done an A/B test since they are pretty new.  But a Stage 3 to a Gen 2 GTX3071r is a 150hp upgrade.  

If "they make more power with the same spool" isn't good enough I can share some dyno results.  But I dont know the OP, and as a first post im not going to just pour out data, Lately everyone seems to like to steal my IP for their own gain.  

If more data would make you change your buying decision, then great, I can provide data that your looking for.  But since its new I spent a good deal of time and money in it for someone to claim it as their own.  

• Tim, changster, thehelix112 and 2 others like this

BAZ007

BAZ007

Stage 4 Member

• 831 posts
  • Joined 24-January 15

They make more power, but not as much as the advertised gain due to housing restrictions.  I have not done an A/B test since they are pretty new.  But a Stage 3 to a Gen 2 GTX3071r is a 150hp upgrade.  

If "they make more power with the same spool" isn't good enough I can share some dyno results.  But I dont know the OP, and as a first post im not going to just pour out data, Lately everyone seems to like to steal my IP for their own gain.  

If more data would make you change your buying decision, then great, I can provide data that your looking for.  But since its new I spent a good deal of time and money in it for someone to claim it as their own.

Well can you post your dynograph with big SIR logo watermarked on the background so that if anyone is to post any of your findings the SIR is always going to hit them in the face first, having to acknowledge it.

JustinOlson

JustinOlson

Stock

• Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Joined 16-February 16

POPULAR

Awe baby boy Chris Riggs unfriended me and deleted me from his SBD group for notifying the thread of his offer. Haha taught me a lesson. LMFAO

Edited by JustinOlson, 22 December 2016 - 01:55 PM.

• Tim, Bill@SiR, Dv8 and 3 others like this

Steven

Steven

Stock

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 18-April 15
I was just trying to figure out where they stand because your website says the gen 2 3071 makes 1200 crank horsepower, and your current stage 3 make over 1100whp. I just got a car off my lift and am thinking about starting my build. The guy that does my tuning (Tom at tscompusa) just picked up a stage 3 plus from you. It's not easy to make these decisions! If you prefer that I call or pm you I can do that.

Bill@SiR

Bill@SiR

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 457 posts
  • Joined 21-December 12
  • LocationMiami FL

I was just trying to figure out where they stand because your website says the gen 2 3071 makes 1200 crank horsepower, and your current stage 3 make over 1100whp. I just got a car off my lift and am thinking about starting my build. The guy that does my tuning (Tom at tscompusa) just picked up a stage 3 plus from you. It's not easy to make these decisions! If you prefer that I call or pm you I can do that.

You have a Gen 1 GTX3071R, it can make 1100whp in a max effort situation.  The best current ET with those turbos is an 8.77@158mph

A Gen 2 is a 50hp upgrade due to other restrictions Its rated at 1200 crank.  Most Dynojet's read very about 50hp less than crank hp in a GTR.  I would expect 160mph (depending on the weight and supporting modifications, and weather conditions) trap speeds based on dyno data of that 50hp delta. 

colo_evo

colo_evo

Stock

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 20-September 16

You can make a dyno graph with a flat 600tq to say 7000rpm (thats 799hp).  However to do that you are going to need boost in the 22-24psi range.  Now the next problem is for the dyno this is "Safe"  However to achieve that boost, the turbo speed will increase as the RPMS go up.  On a shift in the real world what you get is a torque spike, ESPECIALLY you rev it higher than 7000.

I've always wondered what happens to all these stock block cars pushing high wgdc after a shift. Is there some sort of anticipation logic that can decrease wgdc/timing/torque post shift to avoid spikes?

Bill@SiR

Bill@SiR

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 457 posts
  • Joined 21-December 12
  • LocationMiami FL

I've always wondered what happens to all these stock block cars pushing high wgdc after a shift. Is there some sort of anticipation logic that can decrease wgdc/timing/torque post shift to avoid spikes?

EcuTek does have an upshift wastegate map, so that you can drop the wastegate during the shift.  But this looses a decent amount of turbo speed.  So by doing so keeps the boost fairly flat if calibrated properly, however it does slow the car down. 

Again you cant cheat physics.  You can do what you can, and that upshift boost spike prevention is one of them.  

KrieGTR

KrieGTR

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 126 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13
  • LocationSLC, UT

Well with new technology, comes new turbo options.  

Basically the difference here is better response for a given power level, or more power with the same response, I was very impressed from the set we did.  

Im offering 3 of the Gen 2 Garrett GTX sizes for the OEM Manifold

GTX 2860 A 46mm sized unit for ultra fast response (keep in mind stock is 43 journal bearing, these are ball bearing), I have not made one but it would HAVE to spool faster than stock, Capable of an estimated 850whp

GTX 2867 A 50mm sized unit still keeping very quick response, these are the first set we did, and they made 938whp at 27psi of boost.  Really amazing out of a GT28 and the OEM compressor housing.

Keep in mind dyno is in 2wd for load, however the power is about 100hp more than a typical Gen 1 setup

attachicon.gifgtx28.jpg

And GTX3071R 54mm sized unit, In the OEM manifold it is still a very quick responding setup, I have only used the Gen 1 those typically make 1050whp, and again i would anticipate 1150whp or so, with ultra quick response from the OEM exhaust housing paired with a relatively small turbo

All the turbos are priced with Actuators and lines

Link for GTX Gen 2 OEM Manifold upgrades

Hey Bill,

When you refer to the 2wd dyno for load. What does that change? Does that mean that on either a 4wd dyno or on the street, the spool would be even better than the graph you are showing?

Thanks

09' SS GTR BPU

haseeb

haseeb

Stock

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 11-April 17

I would offer an upgrade, would just be an aero upgrade on the compressor side, I would keep the same profile so it would be a drop in for existing customers, just should make a bit more power, but only way to find out is to do it.

Hi bill do you still offer this upgrade?
  • Tim likes this

colo_evo

colo_evo

Stock

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 20-September 16

Hi bill do you still offer this upgrade?

Did you ever get feedback?

Bill@SiR

Bill@SiR

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 457 posts
  • Joined 21-December 12
  • LocationMiami FL

Did you ever get feedback?

He emailed me a few times about a USM Gen 2.  

Both are straightforward, but unfortunately both require machining of the compressor cover to accommodate the change in wheel profile. 

The Gen 2 aero is best when you are maxing the turbos out at high pressure ratios and high shaft speeds.   

colo_evo

colo_evo

Stock

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 20-September 16

He emailed me a few times about a USM Gen 2.

Both are straightforward, but unfortunately both require machining of the compressor cover to accommodate the change in wheel profile.

The Gen 2 aero is best when you are maxing the turbos out at high pressure ratios and high shaft speeds.

Gotcha! So gen 2 along with ball bearing cartridge type are more suited towards running at or near full tilt most the time.

This may not be the right thread but could you list your turbos in order of peak power. The way I understand it is:

Turbo- cartridge type - max dynojet power assuming stock head/cam engine

Sir stage 4 - ball bearing - 1250
Gen 2 gtx3071r - ball bearing - 1150
Sir stage 3 - ball bearing - 1100
Gen 2 usm - journal bearing - 1050
Gen 2 gtx2867 ball bearing - 940
Gen 2 gtx2860 ball bearing - 850
Sir stage 1 - journal bearing - 750+

Could you edit this so I have accurate information. Also, this thread was created nearly two years ago so hopefully you have a feel for how the turbos are performing out in the wild.

Bill@SiR

Bill@SiR

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 457 posts
  • Joined 21-December 12
  • LocationMiami FL

Gotcha! So gen 2 along with ball bearing cartridge type are more suited towards running at or near full tilt most the time.

This may not be the right thread but could you list your turbos in order of peak power. The way I understand it is:

Turbo- cartridge type - max dynojet power assuming stock head/cam engine

Sir stage 4 - ball bearing - 1300
Sir stage 3 - ball bearing - 1050
Gen 2 gtx2867 ball bearing - 950

Could you edit this so I have accurate information. Also, this thread was created nearly two years ago so hopefully you have a feel for how the turbos are performing out in the wil

I also have done a Stage 5 in the 1425whp range.

• celsius and colo_evo like this

Formidable

Formidable

Stage 3 Member

• 389 posts
  • Joined 24-December 15
Stock manifold? Impressive. How’s the transient response? Any dyno?

I also have done a Stage 5 in the 1425whp range.

2014 Premium | TSM Built Motor & Elite Plus 1124 AWHP | WGP Assembled & Tune | Shep 1K | Racing Brake | AMS | Unobtainium | Advan GT | Overtake | Varis | DCTMS | BRIDE | https://instagram.com/formidable_gtr

Dv8

Dv8

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 14-March 13

Sir stage 4 - ball bearing - 1300
Sir stage 3 - ball bearing - 1050
Gen 2 gtx2867 ball bearing - 950

Bill, which is the best suited for stock bottomend?

~Dv8

Edited by Dv8, 06 September 2018 - 09:50 AM.

4/28/18 8.81 @163MPH 

Changes Coming| NHRA Licenced GTR 8.5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users