Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

ETS Super Race Intercooler Tested on TSM ELITE Plus

- - - - - ets extreme turbo systems intercooler review data tsm elite elite topspeed

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Cicio@TSM

Cicio@TSM

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,105 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12

I wanted to post some recent results up form our TSM ELITE Plus in house development car. 

When we first built the car we decided to try our hand at some intercooler development.  We used bell cores and built a one off kit for our car.  As we ran the car and turned it up we found that the intercooler while not horrible wasn’t doing close to what we had hoped.  It was a little worse than the AMS race intercoolers we have tested as well as the ETS race.   Not mind blowingly worse but worse.   Yes I’m a big boy and can admit when we screwed up lol!

So that said I have been wanting to change it out for the last few months in order to allow the car to make some more power.  Turbos being pushed to the edge of their efficiency produces more heat at the turbo outlet / intercooler inlet that needs to be taken care of.   So the in house car on our ELITES really is about as good of a test as you can get for an intercooler. 

That all said I have to thank the guys at Extreme Turbo Systems for stepping up big in helping us with our program.  The level of support and comradery
from those guys is simply awesome!  They joined forces with us on the ELITE car and asked us to test out just how good their ETS Race Super intercooler was.  Michael and the guys there are always willing to help or listen to input from top level shops in the industry.  It is humility and willingness to support that will ultimately make better products for the community as a whole.  So hats off to the guys at ETS for doing just that.

We just came off the FL2K event with our other intercooler 2 weeks ago and installed the ETS Super last week.  The fit on the intercooler is awesome!  The way it sits in the bumper area as well as how it supports the top of the bumper itself is very nice compared to some others we have installed.  It comes in at 48lbs for the core only which is a little heavier than the Race only ones by 4-5lbs but that is obvious since the core thickness is massive! 

So this past Sunday we took the car to Import Face Off in Montgomery for some testing.  The temperatures were almost identical as they were in FL which was crazy but true.  You can see on the graph below that the starting intake air temps were almost identical.   I had a few issues with the launching on the car since we decided to completely try a new launch strategy that we had never tried.  I know because of that I gave up some MPH, however even with that I was able to trap over 2mph faster with ZERO changes except the intercooler on this car. 

Check out the data below you can see that through the pull the ETS Super manages the heat so much better than the other.   I know you guys are thinking well how does that help me because it isn’t even comparing it to an available intercooler on the market.  I acknowledge that … just know that I have run these turbos on both ETS / AMS race and street on Cobb cars…while I don’t have pretty overlay data for those I will tell you that the Super pulls at least 20 degrees out of the best of them.    I have not tested the new BL or the Driven Innovations which I think are both good systems but this ETS Super is amazing!  

In this case you can see almost a 63 degree difference at the top of a quarter mile pull.... that is MASSIVE!  I was floored.  honestly I thought that it would pull temps down maybe 20-30 degrees... Boy was I wrong!    I can't even explain how impressed I am with this piece.  

In closing here is my little sales plug, we are a full partner with ETS and stock lots of their parts.  We have competitive pricing and are happy to help you with any expertise or purchases you may need.   We support those who support us.   Thanks guys!  Feel free to ask questions, I’ll answer what I can.

IFO-1_zpswedzi4sp.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-31%20at%201.53.1

• Tim and changster like this

~Cicio

***TOP THREE TSM 1/4 MILE***
-7.37 & 198
-7.39@200
-7.59@189
***TOP THREE TSM 1/2 MILE***
-225.9 MPH
-221.3 MPH
-219.5 MPH

-OneLap of America Overall 1st Place - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
-TX2K13 Overall 1st Place | TX2K13 Class 2 1st Place
-Shootout 2015 Overall 1st Place & 2nd Place
-TX2K15 Class 4 2nd Place | TX2K15 Roll Race 1st Place SS
-FL2K 2015 Overall 1st Place
-TSM ELITE Plus Stock Frames @ 7.82@179
-Standing Half Mile Stock Frame Turbo Record @ 209 TSM ELITE

TopSpeedForumGTR.jpg
Call: 678-297-7770
cicio@topspeedmotorsports.com
TopSpeedMotorsports.com
**AWD Dyno Tuning
**Parts, Sales, Service

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,909 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha
Impressive!

One thing I often wonder about is the importance of core design vs core size. All of us have seen the discussions about fin density and core construction, but at the end of the day it seems that most companies selling intercoolers fall back to just marketing the core size. Obviously for a heat sink, size is important. But have you seen cases in your testing where a significantly smaller core performed the same or better as a larger unit such that core design was the clear reason? I'd love to have some black and white data the next time a "I bought this $99 core on ebay and it's huge so you guys are all idiots for buying those name brand pieces" thread comes up ;)
-Jeff

Cicio@TSM

Cicio@TSM

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,105 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12

Impressive!

One thing I often wonder about is the importance of core design vs core size. All of us have seen the discussions about fin density and core construction, but at the end of the day it seems that most companies selling intercoolers fall back to just marketing the core size. Obviously for a heat sink, size is important. But have you seen cases in your testing where a significantly smaller core performed the same or better as a larger unit such that core design was the clear reason? I'd love to have some black and white data the next time a "I bought this $99 core on ebay and it's huge so you guys are all idiots for buying those name brand pieces" thread comes up ;)

If for sure isn't all about just size, however what exact percentage of IATs are end tank design, core quality, or core size I really couldn't tell you.  I'm not that smart :) 

~Cicio

-7.37 & 198
-7.39@200
-7.59@189
-225.9 MPH
-221.3 MPH
-219.5 MPH

TopSpeedForumGTR.jpg
TopSpeedMotorsports.com
**AWD Dyno Tuning
**Parts, Sales, Service

earico

earico

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13
  • LocationSA TX

Very nice!

Did the old IC have the duct fins at the sides to force air into the core?

fn4rpl.jpg
2012 BE GT-R - T1R 3.8L / PTE-5858s / Drag 1000
Ecutek tuned by Bill @ SIR

ETS Michael

ETS Michael

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 400 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12
  • LocationVancouver, WA

Cicio and Team,

Thank you for the kind words.  It's always a pleasure working with one of the top GT-R shops in the country! 

Thanks,

Michael

Michael Roark - Extreme Turbo Systems - 360-896-3000 - Michael@extremeturbosystems.com

6.73 @ 223mph - ETS G - Winner of the GT-R World Cup and TX2K19

6.88 @ 222mph - Silver ETS GTR

255mph 1/2 Mile GT-R World Record - Silver ETS GTR

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,303 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Can't argue with the results, but for the love of God, can you make the end tanks look like they weren't made by someone as useless as me?

Are the joint to the piping radiused on the inside at least?

Dave
  • Buschur Racing likes this

Cicio@TSM

Cicio@TSM

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,105 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12

Very nice!

Did the old IC have the duct fins at the sides to force air into the core?

Good question.  Yes there was.  

Can't argue with the results, but for the love of God, can you make the end tanks look like they weren't made by someone as useless as me?

Dave

lol I'll let Michael fight that battle haha!  :) 

• earico likes this

~Cicio

-7.37 & 198
-7.39@200
-7.59@189
-225.9 MPH
-221.3 MPH
-219.5 MPH

TopSpeedForumGTR.jpg
TopSpeedMotorsports.com
**AWD Dyno Tuning
**Parts, Sales, Service

ETS Michael

ETS Michael

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 400 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12
  • LocationVancouver, WA

Dave

Dave,

Yes, we internally port and radius the inlet and outlet tubes. 

GTR%20Super%20Race1-01.jpg

Thanks,

Michael

• Tim and thehelix112 like this
Michael Roark - Extreme Turbo Systems - 360-896-3000 - Michael@extremeturbosystems.com

earico

earico

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13
  • LocationSA TX

Good question.  Yes there was.  

That's awesome. So all the improvement was the core and endtank design. Thanks for clarifying.

fn4rpl.jpg
2012 BE GT-R - T1R 3.8L / PTE-5858s / Drag 1000
Ecutek tuned by Bill @ SIR

jdmrb1

jdmrb1

Stage 3 Member

• 365 posts
  • Joined 22-February 15
  • LocationYokohama Japan

Do you need to trim the crash beam? ETS site you do and you don't ?? 

• Requires minor trimming of crash beam.

Intercooler Kit (Default)

• Intercooler w/ Mounting Brackets. (Fits factory crash beam and bumper cover, no cutting!)
  •  

oneighty

oneighty

Stage 3 Member

• 309 posts
  • Joined 27-November 15
  • LocationHTX

I run the Race and no trimming was required. Super race is an extra 1" of thickness so not sure if that's the limit where trimming is required.

2010 Super Silver Premium - Alpha 7
AMS tuned // M2K built // ID // ETS // HKS // Gotboost // SiR // Vivid // Volk // Vossen // Michelin // ReverseLogic

ETS Michael

ETS Michael

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 400 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12
  • LocationVancouver, WA

Do you need to trim the crash beam? ETS site you do and you don't ?? 

• Requires minor trimming of crash beam.

Intercooler Kit (Default)

• Intercooler w/ Mounting Brackets. (Fits factory crash beam and bumper cover, no cutting!)
  •  

Sorry about that! I will get the website updated.

Race = No Trimming

Super Race = 1" of trimming along the backside of the crash beam.

Thanks,

​Michael

• HiBoost and 7racer like this

Cicio@TSM

Cicio@TSM

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,105 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12

Sorry for the delay in answering this... crazy weekend and day over here.

Thanks Michael for jumping in. 

~Cicio

-7.37 & 198
-7.39@200
-7.59@189
-225.9 MPH
-221.3 MPH
-219.5 MPH

TopSpeedForumGTR.jpg
TopSpeedMotorsports.com
**AWD Dyno Tuning
**Parts, Sales, Service

jdmrb1

jdmrb1

Stage 3 Member

• 365 posts
  • Joined 22-February 15
  • LocationYokohama Japan

Sorry about that! I will get the website updated.

Race = No Trimming

Super Race = 1" of trimming along the backside of the crash beam.

Thanks,

​Michael

Thanks for the clarification !! ETS great products. 

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 4 Member

• 475 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

Excellent results!

One thing I was always curious about is why many people don't cut a hole in the front bumper crash beam and front bumper to allow air to pass through the top part of the intercooler?

SPE modifies some of their customer cars like this.  These new race intercoolers are huge and much taller yet outside cooling air is only passing through about 50-70% of the core on the bottom area only.  There must be some cooling gains to be made in this regard

RD Engineering. HKS GT1000 build.

OMG RB 26

OMG RB 26

Stage 4 Member

• 781 posts
  • Joined 07-May 14
  • LocationPeoria, IL

I put an ETS race on a customer car earlier this year. Was happy with it. 

My only gripe was that due to the piping configuration, and the fact that the car in question had the AMS oil cooler on it (Its thicker than stock) the passenger pipes were rubbing on the oil cooler. I had to spend a decent amount of time massaging the IC pipes and oil cooler bracket to keep the oil cooler from rubbing the IC pipe 

I guess I didn't get any real pics of the rubbing

EDBF66CB-73B6-4FDD-873E-24A4030A9EF8_zps

Also the IC came with some misc bolts and spacer rings with no instruction as to what went where. Maybe a small instructional insert would have made it a little less painless

2009 GTR - Self Built 3.8, Elite Plus, Self Built Trans (1K equivalent) E85  etc

1/4 Mile - 8.8@164mph

1/2 Mile - 201mph

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,023 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

Excellent results!

One thing I was always curious about is why many people don't cut a hole in the front bumper crash beam and front bumper to allow air to pass through the top part of the intercooler?
SPE modifies some of their customer cars like this. These new race intercoolers are huge and much taller yet outside cooling air is only passing through about 50-70% of the core on the bottom area only. There must be some cooling gains to be made in this regard

That's very common for road racers. There are several options for replacing that piece of the grill with a vented one, or buying a whole new bumper cover with larger openings. But yes, you also have to cut holes in the crash beam or else the openings in the grill won't really help...
  • 7racer likes this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 4 Member

• 475 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

That's very common for road racers. There are several options for replacing that piece of the grill with a vented one, or buying a whole new bumper cover with larger openings. But yes, you also have to cut holes in the crash beam or else the openings in the grill won't really help...

Seems like two "simple" projects would be required

1) Cut hole in crash beam and front bumper

2) Find a trim piece or panel to make hole in bumper look good aesthetically

RD Engineering. HKS GT1000 build.

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,023 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

Seems like two "simple" projects would be required

1) Cut hole in crash beam and front bumper
2) Find a trim piece or panel to make hole in bumper look good aesthetically

Yes, and I've seen that done as well. It can be made to look good if you can weld Aluminum and work with Bondo & Paint.
  • 7racer likes this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

Crazyrc

Crazyrc

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13
9d6d26b36537f1fcfc39bf2bb7ca940d.jpg
  • Tim, 7racer, thehelix112 and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ets, extreme turbo systems, intercooler, review, data, tsm elite, elite, topspeed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users