Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Newly Improved RB Sintered Pads for CCM Rotors

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Warren-RB

Warren-RB

Stage 4 Member

• 508 posts
  • Joined 20-January 14

It's been a while since our last release of prototype sintered pads, one of the shortcoming we found was the potential delamination of lining material from steel backing plate after some really extreme heat cycles.

So we implement a new process to improve the bonding strength between two different material (lining and back plate) by using a high strength steel backing plate which is more resistant to heat and warping. The backing plate is also plated to provide a better media for bonding under high heat.

This new process has successfully eliminated this delamination issue, it also improves the modulation capability due to the plating makes two different material (lining and backing plate) works together as one. The result is very satisfactory based on the recent test result on Thunderhill tracks reported by Ron.

Here are some pictures of the new sintered pads (due to the metallic surface is highly reflective, so the pictures didn't come out good as normal)

Front view (ZR1 pad size) - Top is for front caliper, bottom is for rear caliper.

80-img_0343_00986cac55ba78763eb62831c2c4

Back view.

80-img_0345_41c7a2fc5b70acccc3320b5d073f

Compare to Front GTR OE pad (in black color).

80-img_0346_edc3f6fea6eac2b93ae9c42fada6

Compare to GTR Rear OE pad.

80-img_0347_861840a715fe74c0b039e06aa2ef

• 7racer and Tranisml like this
www.RacingBrake.com

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,119 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13
Looking good. For sale yet?

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,810 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13
Woooo can't wait to try this

In7anity!!

Warren-RB

Warren-RB

Stage 4 Member

• 508 posts
  • Joined 20-January 14

When it comes to evaluating a brake pad, I think following criteria are what most of us are looking for:

1. Initial bite
2. Coefficient of Friction (COF) level
3. Consistency of brake torque (w/o being affected by elevated temperature)
4. Responsiveness to the brake pedal
5. Modulation and brake control
6. Durabilitycleardot.gif

7. Wearing pattern

As a comparison we have tested on Pagid, Endless, C-L and OE pads - All are supposed to be made for Carbon Ceramic Rotors.

I will let Ron make his comments about how these new pads were tested and evaluated and answer any questions you might have.

www.RacingBrake.com

Warren-RB

Warren-RB

Stage 4 Member

• 508 posts
  • Joined 20-January 14

Looking good. For sale yet?

A new production lot was just released based on the recent test result, so we are looking at ~ 8-10 weeks leadtime.

www.RacingBrake.com

werks

werks

Stock

• Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

Edited by werks, 21 April 2017 - 11:14 AM.

• 7racer and shawnhayes like this

Warren-RB

Warren-RB

Stage 4 Member

• 508 posts
  • Joined 20-January 14

Yep guys I've been testing these including hammering on them at a private test day at Thunderhil on the 5 mile track where the tack was just open all day with no  run groups. That day alone I put over 50 gallons of fuel through the car beating on them and I can say that the pads worked flawlessly! Warren touched on some of the key points of the new pad material but they are:

1. Intial Bite. This pad material offers significantly more inital bite than OEM especially when cold or on cold tires. With cold R7's it only requires moderate brake pressure to get ABS to kick in and once the tires come up to temp bite is perfect.

2. COF. I'll let Warren get into all of the numbers and what not because honestly testing and going back and forth comparing stuff I really do not want to know so that it is almost like a blind test. All that I can say is that it feels like there is quite a bit more not only initial bite as mentioned above but also overall maximum braking force available! It's like taking the OEM pads and adding about 20% more stopping power to them!

Our sintered pad COF is able to achieve 0.65 with little effect by the braking temperature, while for a conventional brake pad the optimal high COF is about 0.5 - 0.55 and can be severely affected by the resin's temperature limit.

Since CCM rotor generates higher temperature than iron rotor, so it seems we can conclude that for a CCM rotor application if a sintered pad is used, the braking temperature limit is on CCM rotor, but if a conventional semi-metallic pad is used the temperature limit is more on the pad.

www.RacingBrake.com

Warren-RB

Warren-RB

Stage 4 Member

• 508 posts
  • Joined 20-January 14

The same sintered rear pad was tested on iron brake rotors - A Viper ACR-X race car reporting a very positive result in initial bite, modulation and durability. The rear ZR1 pad is the same as the front pad of this Viper ACR-X.

Momentary Racing is the team we are sponsoring.

Momentary Racing completes SCCA Majors weekend with 2 visits to the podium

Momentary Racing, Portland Race Report

Due to the rule & regulation the team can only run on stock set up i.e. 355x32mm rotors and 4 pot calipers (front and back), so our challenge is to improve the braking efficiency under the same constraint including:

1.  Design and provide a less bias rear brake with RB4M calipers (same rear caliper as for Porsche rear) for a better brake balance. OE calipers put too much bias in the rear, so this improved rear caliper can shift 10% from the rear toward the front.

2. A brake pad set that can last for 25 hours endurance race in Thunderhill this coming December w/o having to change during the course, which RB sintered pads look very promising with some cooling improvement to lower the braking temperature.

3. A thicker (34/36mm) front rotor that could help to lower the braking temperature and prolong the pad life - This involves other modification which is being reviewed and undertaken.

We are proud to be a sponsor of this team - Formed by a group of intelligent weekend racers and it's our pleasure to work with them to win the race with limited resources.

• 7racer and MomentaryRacing like this
www.RacingBrake.com

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,810 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

The same sintered rear pad was tested on iron brake rotors - A Viper ACR-X race car reporting a very positive result in initial bite, modulation and durability. The rear ZR1 pad is the same as the front pad of this Viper ACR-X.

Momentary Racing is the team we are sponsoring.

Momentary Racing completes SCCA Majors weekend with 2 visits to the podium

Momentary Racing, Portland Race Report

Due to the rule & regulation the team can only run on stock set up i.e. 355x32mm rotors and 4 pot calipers (front and back), so our challenge is to improve the braking efficiency under the same constraint including:

1.  Design and provide a less bias rear brake with RB4M calipers (same rear caliper as for Porsche rear) for a better brake balance. OE calipers put too much bias in the rear, so this improved rear caliper can shift 10% from the rear toward the front.

2. A brake pad set that can last for 25 hours endurance race in Thunderhill this coming December w/o having to change during the course, which RB sintered pads look very promising with some cooling improvement to lower the braking temperature.

3. A thicker (34/36mm) front rotor that could help to lower the braking temperature and prolong the pad life - This involves other modification which is being reviewed and undertaken.

We are proud to be a sponsor of this team - Formed by a group of intelligent weekend racers and it's our pleasure to work with them to win the race with limited resources.

thats awesome Warren!! congrats

In7anity!!

Warren-RB

Warren-RB

Stage 4 Member

• 508 posts
  • Joined 20-January 14

Production lot is finished, order can be shipped in about a week.

Front set: http://www.racingbra...p/pd1395-41.htm

Rear set: http://www.racingbra...p/pd1165-41.htm

These sintered pads were also tested on RB iron rotors (Viper ACR-X) and it exhibits outstanding performance in stopping power, modulation, and durability comparing to conventional semi-metallic pads.

Currently only compound #145 (dedicated for track/racing) is available, but we are also developing a compound good for both street and tracking.

Anyone interested can place the order on line. For question please PM or call us at 714-871-6392 

• shawnhayes likes this
www.RacingBrake.com

PianoProdigy

PianoProdigy

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 17-March 13
I have ZR1 rotors on a street car with blue pads, endless? Are these "better" for a street application than the pads I have currently?
  • 7racer likes this

Warren-RB

Warren-RB

Stage 4 Member

• 508 posts
  • Joined 20-January 14

We have yet to test the "non racing" compound for "street" & "tracking" purpose. The challenge is to reduce the noise (grinding sound) and eliminate the squeaking (high pitch sound) when stopping which most people find un-acceptable.

If those noise/squeaking concern can be overcome then this "non-racing" sintered pad can be in high demand, as the majority of motorsports enthusiasts don't like to switch the pads, and one thing for sure is if you feel how it behaviors on street is acceptable, then you can be assured that you will never have to worry or disappoint how it performs on track in initial bite, modulation, and durability regardless it's iron or CCM rotors.

The capability of conventional semi-metallic pad is limited to the temperature of the resin that holding the compounds together can stand, its COF declined as the temperature rises as it reaches to some point you will have a brake fade and/or turn the lining into dust. This is why you were advised not to run the pad for CCM at less than 40% lining.

The sintered pad is different in lining material and mfg process than semi-metallic. Since it's 100% metallic and uses no resin so the COF is highly consistent (at initial and peak temp) so the driver can better predict a brake torque he needs for late braking. Less taper wear and overall durability are some additional benefits of a sintered pad.

• Tim and 7racer like this
www.RacingBrake.com

werks

werks

Stock

• Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

Edited by werks, 21 April 2017 - 11:15 AM.

• 7racer and shawnhayes like this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,364 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationArroyo Grande, CA
That track looks fun as hell! And nice driving!

werks

werks

Stock

• Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

Edited by werks, 21 April 2017 - 11:15 AM.

• 7racer and awdtt like this

jdmrb1

jdmrb1

Stage 3 Member

• 366 posts
  • Joined 22-February 15
  • LocationYokohama Japan

7racer how long do you Endless W007 pads last with the S/T CCM Rotors?? 

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,810 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

7racer how long do you Endless W007 pads last with the S/T CCM Rotors?? 

I have to find the post, but I calculated the millimeters lost per track weekend and then got a figure.  I want to try these sintered out ASAP but have a stack of Endless pads to yet go thru.

Anyone want to buy some?

• awdtt and jdmrb1 like this

In7anity!!

jdmrb1

jdmrb1

Stage 3 Member

• 366 posts
  • Joined 22-February 15
  • LocationYokohama Japan

I'm almost done with my stock setup and after reading up and talking with folks over here I've finally decided to do a phased upgrades since I'm still a working stiff paying for kids college and everything else. Always wanted to go CCM, like the weight savings and supposed longer live. It wasn't until I talked with a local driver over here who has a full bore Endless kit that sealed the deal. He had to resurface rotors after only one session on FSW at a $1000 price tag. SO once I looked at prices for replacement rotor setups from Alcon, they were somewhat close to the Surface Transforms CCM rotor so makes sense to try them. 7 you have had good results using the W007 on your CCM roots with stock calipers so I give it a shot for my first phase upgrade along with Endless RF650 fluid changeout. Still have a pair of Endless cooling ducts sitting ready to install. Definitely will need to further look into cooling options via a TS Bumper. I figure I'll be a regular W007 buyer for your extra stock. Going to watch how the RB pads work out also. Thanks for all the help. 

Edited by jdmrb1, 02 October 2016 - 03:02 AM.

• 7racer likes this

jdmrb1

jdmrb1

Stage 3 Member

• 366 posts
  • Joined 22-February 15
  • LocationYokohama Japan
Talking with Endless they can custom build W007 pads for any size or thickness so that opens up a lot of caliper options for me !!

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,119 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Anyone want to buy some?

Missed this.  PM coming.

Shawn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users