Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

It's the little differences

* * * * * 1 votes tweaks diy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

destroid

destroid

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 31-January 13
  • Location"Live Free Or Die"
Not the normal build thread, but these are some of the little modifications and maintenance tweaks I've done for street and track day use. 

"It's the little differences."    - Vincent Vega

I'll update this as I do more or remember what I've already done...

Lightweight Battery
Category: Weight reduction
Notes:
Buschur Racing lightweight battery. -12.25 lbs

Cabin Microfilter
Category: Beijing smog defense
Notes: 
ATP RA-64 charcoal filter
Easy DIY or give it to the dealer to install. Really helps with fumes on the track or traffic.

DTRL LED lights on with headlights
Category: Squirrel avoidence lighting
Notes:
My one splice mod that is done in the IPDM/ER that keeps the LEDs on with the headlights and highbeams.

Midpipe
Category: Required GT-R modification
Notes:
HKS resonated midpipe. -10 lbs
It sounds about 20% angrier now with minimal drone and a bit quicker turbo spool.

Battery trickle charger
Category: Battery health
Notes:
CTEK chargers work well.
With the lightweight battery the car can only sit 2-3 days before discharging. 1-2 if running a dashcam.

LED lights interior and exterior
Category: Pretty Lights
Notes:
I got high quality (normal white 5000K - not blue) 194 LED lights
Easy DIY just be careful with the sidemarker clips that need to be released with a screwdriver.

Fire Extinguisher with mount
Category: Not being on fire / Safety
Notes:
Gotboost Performance fire extinquisher mount.
Amorex Halatron chrome fire extinquisher with hardware.
You need a 1/4"x20 tap for the Black Edition/Nismo seats.

Helmet
Category: Brain integrity / Safety
Notes:
Stilo ST5 composite SA2015 helmet. HMS will swap out cheek pads etc. as needed.

HANS type device
Category: Spine integrity / Safety
Notes:
Schroth SHR Flex. Comfortable and has features to keep the harness in place.
Compatable with the Schroth ASM 4-point belts.  

Nomex driving gloves and underwear
Category: When you're on fire / Safety
Notes:
Alpinestars gloves, long underwear, socks, balaclava. If you have an upgraded or modified fuel system you may want a full race suit - I just wear cotton.

Nomex driving shoes
Category: Fancy footwork / Safety
Notes:
Alpinestars leather/Nomex. These are super comfortable. Helps with left foot braking.

4-point Harness
Category: Keeping your ass in the seat / Safety
Notes:
Schroth Profi II ASM 4-point harness. Comfortable and designed for street cars - make sure to cross the rear shoulder belts and the ASM yellow tab should be on the inner belt. I remove the rear seat bottom cushion when the harness is installed so the routing is direct to the seat back slots.
Harness weighs about 5 lbs.
Great DIY by thehelix112: http://www.gtrherita...-build/?p=74728

Tow Hook
Category: Pull your ass out of the tire wall
Notes:
Needs the same spacer as the Stillen plate mount to keep it clear of the DBA bumper.

Brakes, Pads, lines
Category: Avoiding tire walls / Safety
Notes:
AP Racing J-Hook 390mm x 34mm front rotors and rear rotor rings. Slightly thicker/heavier than stock but lasted 12+ track days. Carbotech XP10 pads. Goodridge stainless lines and Torque 700 brake fluid

Skid Plate
Category: Avoiding curb scrapes
Stillen DBA 2012+ skid plate - no worries about curb scrapes or track debris taking out the front lip.

Paint Protection Film
Category: Bug and rock deflection
XPEL Ultimate film. I had the front third of the car done as well as the roof and in front of the rear wheels. I added the rear bumper since the soot is nasty and impossible to clean off by hand.

Alignment
Category: Reducing lap times
Notes:
Factory "High Performance" alignment.

License plate holder
Category: You will NOT drill into the bumper -- me to the dealer pre-delivery
Notes:
Stillen tow hook mount plate holder. The model I got was too close to the DBA bumper so I got this 24mm aluminum shaft collar for $13 

Jack pad adapter
Category: I lift things up
Notes:
Reverse Logic jack pad adapter. Remember to remove before driving - however I can confirm that it will stay put through a session at Lime Rock Park (oops).

Jack
Category: I put things down.
Notes:
Low profile jack is a necessity. Harbor Freight 3000lb works fine but is heavy.

Service Ramps
Category: I can't afford a lift
Notes:
Race Ramps RLL-80-2 ramps and two piece RR-WC-10-2 cribs.

Oil change tools
Category: Dealer charged $90 labor for an oil change
Notes:
Lisle catch pan (17942)
Lisle threaded funnel (19802) works on all Nissans/Infinitis 
Gold Plug Magnetic Drain Plug (AP-03)
Factory crush washers

Coolant Surge Tank
Category: The GT-R makes speed and heat
Notes:
The Spec-V / Nismo higher capacity coolant tank and 180 kPa radiator cap. 70:30 water coolant mix.

Steering column support
Category: Keeping the wheel out of your lap
Notes:
Forged Performance Steering Column Reinforcement Plates.

2015 Underpan
Category: Downforce
Notes:
Factory 2015+ underpan is lighter and in theory helps with front downforce. Swap it out with your next oil change.

Edited by destroid, 30 May 2016 - 04:13 PM.

• Tim, forty-two and shawnhayes like this
2013 GT-R Pearl White Black Edition

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,900 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Not the normal build thread, but these are some of the little modifications and maintenance tweaks I've done for street and track day use. 

"It's the little differences."    - Vincent Vega

HANS type device
Category: Spine integrity / Safety
Notes:
Schroth SHR Flex. Comfortable and has features to keep the harness in place.
Compatable with the Schroth ASM 4-point belts.  

nice!  lol like the sly humor.

But I was curious how you like the SHR flex?  I was interested in getting it.  I went from a Hans to the Necksgen...but this one with some of the features of the Necksgen and hans seems like a nice mix...

best of both worlds

can you write a review, snag some pics?

In7anity!!

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,191 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

4-point Harness
Category: Keeping your ass in the seat / Safety
Notes:
Schroth Profi II ASM 4-point harness. Comfortable and designed for street cars - make sure to cross the rear shoulder belts

I like the thread, but there is some disagreement about that one amongst "experts".  I was uncomfortable enough with the controversy that I just said screw it and got a rear cage with a six point.

I STILL don't know who is right about that one.

Shawn

P.S. just rechecked Scroth's instructions, and say to cross if greater than 18", but I've seen other harness makers show that as an "incorrect" install.  I always say follow the manufacturer's guidelines.

Edited by shawnhayes, 30 May 2016 - 11:45 AM.

destroid

destroid

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 31-January 13

Hi Shawn - some of my modifications/decisions were based on your excellent threads and advice.

I would like to install a half cage but then no rear passengers and good luck fitting 4 track wheels in the car. My philosophy when upgrading safety equipment:

Safety/Risk is a compromise and I had gone way too long without a HANS considering that even on the short New England tracks I can reach 142+ mph. Staying home is of course safer, but I bought the GT-R to drive and have fun with managed danger.

A cage would improve rollover protection and shorten the rear belt length, but track day incidents are usually offs into a wall vs. a rollover. The 4-point allows me to run a HANS type device which will improve survivability in most scenarios.

The seats have harness slots so there is no issue with the belts slipping off the seatback. I am 6 ft tall and even with the HANS, the belt slots are still higher than my shoulders so spine compression is mitigated. So while the rear belts are longer than recommended, Schroth has some quick-fit harnesses for BMW etc. that use this routing to the rear seatbelt points (with crossed belts as per their instructions).

The Nissan factory drivers setting Nürburgring times used a 4-point harness mounted to the factory front and rear seatbelt points which are obviously designed for crash loads.

The Nismo N Attack pack has the optional 6-point Willans harness and carbon seats but still uses the factory seatbelt points except for the sub belts.

• shawnhayes likes this

destroid

destroid

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 31-January 13

I got the Schroth SHR Flex because I recognize the amount of engineering improvement vs. the HANS. Think of it like the first iPhone - you can tell they addressed issues with existing solutions.

Also since I got Schroth ASM harnesses that the company tested with the SHR Flex I think the combination is safer than mixing and matching.

I'll add a more detailed writeup but so far quite happy with the fit after one full track day.

Schroth1.JPG

Schroth2.jpg

Edited by destroid, 30 May 2016 - 12:44 PM.

• 7racer likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,191 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Hi Shawn - some of my modifications/decisions were based on your excellent threads and advice.

I would like to install a half cage but then no rear passengers and good luck fitting 4 track wheels in the car. My philosophy when upgrading safety equipment:

Safety/Risk is a compromise and I had gone way too long without a HANS considering that even on the short New England tracks I can reach 142+ mph. Staying home is of course safer, but I bought the GT-R to drive and have fun with managed danger.

A cage would improve rollover protection and shorten the rear belt length, but track day incidents are usually offs into a wall vs. a rollover. The 4-point allows me to run a HANS type device which will improve survivability in most scenarios.

The seats have harness slots so there is no issue with the belts slipping off the seatback. I am 6 ft tall and even with the HANS, the belt slots are still higher than my shoulders so spine compression is mitigated. So while the rear belts are longer than recommended, Schroth has some quick-fit harnesses for BMW etc. that use this routing to the rear seatbelt points (with crossed belts as per their instructions).

The Nissan factory drivers setting Nürburgring times used a 4-point harness mounted to the factory front and rear seatbelt points which are obviously designed for crash loads.

The Nismo N Attack pack has the optional 6-point Willans harness and carbon seats but still uses the factory seatbelt points except for the sub belts.

I'm with you brother.  I certainly think that 99.9% of the on track incidents are okay with the four points.

I've been behind an M3 that went upside down in the straight essess at VIR.  Smoke and all and the driver crawling out the window upside down.  Roof collapsed down to the cage he had installed.

And watched a Golf auger in at turn 1 due to the master cylinder coming off the firewall.  Yep.  For real.

Both cars had a cage of some sort and full six points.  Both drivers WALKED away with nothing.  Not even a scratch.

I hit 160 last month on the back stretch of VIR.  I'm not saying that the four points wouldn't have been okay in those wrecks.  I'm not.  I'm not 100% sure that my bolt in cage would have done what the M3's cage did in the rollover - but it increases my chances.  If just a little bit.

Shawn

• destroid likes this

destroid

destroid

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 31-January 13

When I get a EBA-R35 Nismo - not if - I will do my own "N Attack Light" program of improvements. This will include rear seat deletes and a half cage. All the safety equipment can transfer right over - and most of the cost was the Helmet, SHR Flex, and clothing (vs. the harnesses and mounting hardware).

Watkins Glenn is on the calendar this summer with SCDA - so a lot of the safety upgrades were getting ready for the bigger and faster tracks.

Edited by destroid, 30 May 2016 - 01:13 PM.

• 7racer and choerizo like this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,900 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

found a review of the SHR...

https://www.discover...depth-review-n2

• destroid likes this

In7anity!!

destroid

destroid

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 31-January 13

Nice review of the SHR Flex - I agree with most of it. If you are an instructor and have to sit in multiple cars with various seat angle and harness configurations the SHR is probably very useful.

The GT-R is a very upright driving position and the SHR was comfortable and would catch my head when looking down. Definitely slide it back on your shoulders so the rear yoke is not right up against the helmet.

Schroth updated the instructions and the mounting post slot should be from level to 45 degrees down at the rear.

Schroth3.JPG

• 7racer likes this

thebeast

thebeast

Stock

• Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Joined 01-January 16
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

awesome right up ... thanks for adding all the details

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tweaks, diy