Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Bearing and Clearance Recommendations

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,909 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha

I just noticed that Bill@SIR, back on April 16th, in the first response to this post, said the same damn thing that I tried all day to get you to absorb.  So I'm relieved to hear that we've finally made the breakthrough!

-Jeff

changster

changster

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,302 posts
  • Joined 26-January 13
  • LocationBay Area + Taipei
If you were a shop you could learn on customer builds and customer money, then see if they blow up. Too bad you don't have that luxury. :)

- 4.4 liter Alpha 12 built by TSM (R.I.P)
- 4.1 liter ER/ETS 6466 built myself with the help of everyone.

- 4.2 liter billet block <? big boy kit> coming.

13180940063_33e81c30d6_z.jpg

KNOTZLA

KNOTZLA

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 358 posts
  • Joined 17-March 13

If you were a shop you could learn on customer builds and customer money, then see if they blow up. Too bad you don't have that luxury. :)

Who did you wrong?!

changster

changster

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,302 posts
  • Joined 26-January 13
  • LocationBay Area + Taipei

Who did you wrong?!

Nobody. Just messin' around. :)

- 4.4 liter Alpha 12 built by TSM (R.I.P)
- 4.1 liter ER/ETS 6466 built myself with the help of everyone.

- 4.2 liter billet block <? big boy kit> coming.

13180940063_33e81c30d6_z.jpg

colo_evo

colo_evo

Stock

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 20-September 16

How did this work out Parker? Surely the engine is together and has sufficient run time on it by now.

I'm sizing bearings now and am aiming for 0.0009" for mains. Nissan spec if using only crank and block markings puts my oil clearance at 0.00067".

EDIT: 0.0009 according to the bearing matrix.

Attached File  Bearing matrix.PDF   125.96KB   2 downloads

Edited by colo_evo, 08 November 2018 - 08:22 PM.

Bill@SiR

Bill@SiR

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 458 posts
  • Joined 21-December 12
  • LocationMiami FL

I just noticed that Bill@SIR, back on April 16th, in the first response to this post, said the same damn thing that I tried all day to get you to absorb.  So I'm relieved to hear that we've finally made the breakthrough!

Just saw this on the Bump. LOL  Good times

How did this work out Parker? Surely the engine is together and has sufficient run time on it by now.

I'm sizing bearings now and am aiming for 0.0009" for mains. Nissan spec if using only crank and block markings puts my oil clearance at 0.00067".

You might want to actually get a block, bearings and a crank and measure it.  In general the OEM runs around the middle of the spec, Generally in the 1.5-1.7 range on the mains if you measure an OEM engine. 

I generally would go towards the higher end of the spec for more power.  But to be perfectly honest If your trying to make 1000+ HP I would just get a block from a repeatable company.  They did the R&D (im not talking about SBD Rip off and Duplicate) And unless you want to learn the expensive way its best to just pay.

• Tim and 7racer like this

colo_evo

colo_evo

Stock

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 20-September 16

I appreciate your suggestion of going with a proven company Bill but I'll be assembling the engine myself. I've got plenty of experience and resources to complete the job.

Here's what the ESM has for clearances. I can see where the confusion is in the matrix mentioned early in the thread. Looks like the matrix gives you clearance per bearing. You need to multiply by 2 to get total clearance, or what's actually measured after installing bearings and checking against the crank journals.

Here's what the ESM has for clearances:

MAIN BEARING OIL CLEARANCE

Unit: mm (in) Items Standard Limit Main bearing oil clearance 0.035 - 0.045 (0.0014 - 0.0018)* 0.065 (0.0026) *: Actual clearance

CONNECTING ROD BEARING OIL CLEARANCE

Unit: mm (in) Items Standard Limit Connecting rod bearing oil clearance 0.055 - 0.068 (0.0022 - 0.0027)*

0.088 (0.0035)

*: Actual clearance

Bill@SiR

Bill@SiR

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 458 posts
  • Joined 21-December 12
  • LocationMiami FL

I appreciate your suggestion of going with a proven company Bill but I'll be assembling the engine myself. I've got plenty of experience and resources to complete the job.

Here's what the ESM has for clearances. I can see where the confusion is in the matrix mentioned early in the thread. Looks like the matrix gives you clearance per bearing. You need to multiply by 2 to get total clearance, or what's actually measured after installing bearings and checking against the crank journals.

Here's what the ESM has for clearances:

MAIN BEARING OIL CLEARANCE

Unit: mm (in) Items Standard Limit Main bearing oil clearance 0.035 - 0.045 (0.0014 - 0.0018)* 0.065 (0.0026) *: Actual clearance

CONNECTING ROD BEARING OIL CLEARANCE

Unit: mm (in) Items Standard Limit Connecting rod bearing oil clearance 0.055 - 0.068 (0.0022 - 0.0027)*

0.088 (0.0035)

*: Actual clearance

So you have OEM rods? 

OEM Main Studs? 

OEM Crank and OEM Block with OEM hardware you can use the chart if you wish, I would highly suggest measuring for like the 10th time because of tolerances that your shooting for are in the tenths of thousands of inches, and dealing with 3 different tolerances, (Crank, Block and Bearing) even though they are OEM.  You will get in the range, isnt that precise in the real world.   But when you make more power, I would recommend  tolerancing the motor to a more precise level.  

Vanilla

Vanilla

Stock

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 01-November 18

i am also in the process of gathering all parts / information I need to build the engine and am still on the fence whether to use stock Nissan bearings or King Race bearings. I have ordered both but I am leaning towards the "save" option of Nissan bearings. My power goal is 850whp with efr 6758 hybrids on 102 octane gas (95RON), so nothing over the top.

colo_evo

colo_evo

Stock

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 20-September 16

So you have OEM rods?
OEM Main Studs?

OEM Crank and OEM Block with OEM hardware you can use the chart if you wish, I would highly suggest measuring for like the 10th time because of tolerances that your shooting for are in the tenths of thousands of inches, and dealing with 3 different tolerances, (Crank, Block and Bearing) even though they are OEM. You will get in the range, isnt that precise in the real world. But when you make more power, I would recommend tolerancing the motor to a more precise level.

Just to be clear I'm only using the matrix to get my first set of bearings. After that I'll take actual measurements with a dial bore gauge and micrometer then replace bearings to achieve desired clearances. I'm not suggesting the matrix is a replacement for actually measuring.

I'm using stock crank, stock hardware and manley rods. Manley's suggestion is 0.002-0.003" with no trailing zero. ESM goes out to the forth significant figure. Both target around 0.0025" as far as I can tell

Depending on how my initial measurements look I'll order up different bearings. I'll probably target somewhere between the high standard and maximum; 0.0019" for mains and 0.0027" for rods.

I'll update this thread or possibly start my own build thread after I actually start the assembly.

colo_evo

colo_evo

Stock

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 20-September 16
IMAG2116.jpg IMAG2115.jpg

These are the mains I pulled out. Unfortunately I sold and shipped my block before I was able to take the measurements. I hope my new set wears better than these. Engine had under 20k and was previously built.

Rods looked much better than the mains.

Vanilla

Vanilla

Stock

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 01-November 18

so those bearings came out of a built engine with 20k miles? how much hp did you run through it?

yea would've been really interesting what clearances they had.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users