Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

DSC / Tractive electronic shocks / controller.

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

ehyman

ehyman

Stock

• Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Joined 24-August 14

Figured I'd fork off a thread to keep all the info in one place. Here is more info from tractive on features and prcing (linked pdf). If one of the freindly mods would care to move post #23 from the suspenion goodies thread over here, that would be greatly apprecaited (descartesfool's post with all the video links).

Attached Files

• 7racer, thehelix112, choerizo and 1 other like this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,214 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

NICE!!!!

In7anity!!

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,882 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Ummm awesome! I definitely don't get what the point of a manually adjustable high low speed dampener is when the current can do that too? Does it just change the base curves that the amperage can then modify on the fly?

Also did you get those ones? ;-)

Dave

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,882 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
Oh I just saw its high and low for compression. And you said the electronic control has more range / works better on the rebound? Still a little confused.

You should encourage Michael from dsc to come explain how this all works.

Dave

ehyman

ehyman

Stock

• Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Joined 24-August 14

at lower currents, The electronic valve has a huge effect on rebound and a smaller effect on compression. As the current crosses a certain threhold, it has more of an effect on compression, but not as dramatic as rebound. the H/L compression adjusters are more of a fine tuning and  have 20 clicks with a pretty substandtive range.

Yes, I have the RTx.

Eric

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,421 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
You guys skipped right past the controller that works with the factory shocks! Any more info on this? Would be cool if we could get higher levels of comfort and performance from the stock units
  • choerizo likes this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,214 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Ummm awesome! I definitely don't get what the point of a manually adjustable high low speed dampener is when the current can do that too? Does it just change the base curves that the amperage can then modify on the fly?

Also did you get those ones? ;-)

Dave

my HVT has the same electronic controller, (the DDA)...and also a separate L and H speed compression.  Like Ehyman said, when you do the electronic adjustments it primarily works on rebound and a bit on compression.  It works surprisingly well.

Eric,  how did they have you do the initial settings?  Was it like HVT where you use the stock settings then adjust the compression from full soft to where you like it?

In7anity!!

ehyman

ehyman

Stock

• Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Joined 24-August 14

To be clear, the shocks/valve are the same with the HVT solution. the Electronic conrtoller is what is different.  I started with a baseline on the knobs and amperage that was in the same aera of the damping plot as my JRZ's were and then began to adjust to taste.

• 7racer and thehelix112 like this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,882 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13

Oh interesting.  I didn't realize that.

What made you decide to go with DSC rather than the HVT option?

Now I really wanna get to the track with 7racer and go for a ride to see the difference.

I am a bit surprised at the extreme differences in spring rates you are both running.  I think 7 said they measured his fronts at ~400lb... and you're running 1400lb.  Ummm...

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by thehelix112, 08 April 2016 - 10:38 AM.

• 7racer likes this

ehyman

ehyman

Stock

• Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Joined 24-August 14

POPULAR

HVT Was still offering the origianal electronics and didn't seem to have had the time availalbe for the level of support/interaction we would need with a not off the shelf setup.

I am suprised by the difference in rates and have shared that with 7.  The Shocks have so much damping that they can be setup to compensate for softer springs in transition, but eventually will find themselves on the stops in long steady state. While that setup can work, its not how I roll :) I intend to use these shocks to get allow me to get away with slighlty softer springs while preserving crips rection to inputs via approrpiatly timed increase in damping and in turn help to effect better weight transfer on thigns like launch and corner exit.

Eric

• Tim, ian.r, 7racer and 2 others like this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,214 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Oh interesting.  I didn't realize that.

What made you decide to go with DSC rather than the HVT option?

Now I really wanna get to the track with 7racer and go for a ride to see the difference.

I am a bit surprised at the extreme differences in spring rates you are both running.  I think 7 said they measured his fronts at ~400lb... and you're running 1400lb.  Ummm...

Thanks,

Dave

I had a great pm exchange with ehyman when he was getting his set up and I was posting about mine.  Is knowledge is >>>mine.  I just went by what the guys at HVT recommended.

Ehyman was super surprised by my rates and I went out to the car to double check and to see if wasn't just sitting on the bump stops at rest!

I was worried and even email HVT and decided I liked there reasoning and would run it a bit longer and see how it goes.  I can always increase the rates later.

So far its a nice balance for me.  It feels super soft when driving to the track, then hardcore when I want.  Also can soften the rear a TON for drag days.

And heck ya, when the car gets back together whenever you want to run it let me know or we can do the meet up on the west coast for the future west coast swing.

Edited by 7racer, 08 April 2016 - 07:27 PM.

In7anity!!

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago

Figured I'd fork off a thread to keep all the info in one place. Here is more info from tractive on features and prcing (linked pdf). If one of the freindly mods would care to move post #23 from the suspenion goodies thread over here, that would be greatly apprecaited (descartesfool's post with all the video links).

I wanted to copy it to keep it in both places but i couldnt find the ability to do that, so the next best thing is to quote and link.

http://www.gtrherita...odies/?p=104400

Here are some videos with Mike Levitas explaining things on the Tractive dampers and DSC control software:

DSC Sport Tuning Software Tutorial

Tractive DDA Simulation Tests

and another one to keep you entertained

Porsche 997 GT3 Tractive DDA Shocks - Features and Assembly

• 7racer likes this

changster

changster

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,287 posts
  • Joined 26-January 13
  • LocationBay Area + Taipei

I have this for my Porsche. Game changer.

• 7racer likes this

- 4.4 liter Alpha 12 built by TSM (R.I.P)
- 4.1 liter ER/ETS 6466 built myself with the help of everyone.

- 4.2 liter billet block <? big boy kit> coming.

13180940063_33e81c30d6_z.jpg

Tractive Suspension

Tractive Suspension

Stock

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 10-April 16

POPULAR

Hello

This is Tom Glazemakers from Tractive Suspension. Normally we do not interact on internet fora, except to clarify technical matters.

We partner with DSC Sport to develop this Nissan GTR Plug&play suspension. DSC sport is expert in the control unit, connection to the CAN and interaction with the shocks. More important Michael Levitas from DSC Sport is using all his racing background to get the set to work like you want. Our expertise is on the one hand to use our DDA valve (very fast and stable proportional solenoid valve) to control the damping range and on the other hand provide you with light shocks, low friction and good stability.  You can use the stock shocks in combination with the DSC Sport module. Our shocks are lighter and a lot faster/stabler. At the same time in most cases we have a higher damping range that can bs used dynamically. We are not yet very known in the carsport industry yet, our roots are in motorbikes & snowmobiles.

I noticed some questions on the valve. In attachments below you find some pictures and a sheet on the basic function. Also a movie on how the oil flows in the shock absorber through the main damping piston and through the DDA valve bypass. One can clearly see the valve regulates both directions of oil flow (compression and rebound).

at lower currents, The electronic valve has a huge effect on rebound and a smaller effect on compression. As the current crosses a certain threhold, it has more of an effect on compression, but not as dramatic as rebound. the H/L compression adjusters are more of a fine tuning and  have 20 clicks with a pretty substandtive range.

Yes, I have the RTx.

Eric

Movie:     Attached File  Tractive_Animation_DDA_damper.mpg   22.31MB   102 downloads

DDA valve function.jpg

DDA damping graph nologo.jpg

DDA valve cross section.jpg DDA valve model.jpg DDA valve in shock.jpg

Attached Images

• DDA damping graph.jpg

• Tim, ian.r, changster and 3 others like this

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,421 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
Thanks for posting tom! Can you eleaborate on the unit that works with the stock suspension? Does it work with all model years. I have a 2009 that doubles in drag and road racing so I would like to be able to make the suspension softer for drag and stiffer for road course than the stock settings currently do
  • choerizo likes this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,882 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
Great to have you here Tom! Thanks for the details and information.

Dave

Tractive Suspension

Tractive Suspension

Stock

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 10-April 16

Thanks for posting tom! Can you eleaborate on the unit that works with the stock suspension? Does it work with all model years. I have a 2009 that doubles in drag and road racing so I would like to be able to make the suspension softer for drag and stiffer for road course than the stock settings currently do

Hello DSM_alpha, this is a question for DSCSport, I' ll ask them to answer directly.

I am sure our shocks with the DSCSport control box together do, but that is not your question ;-)

• Dsm_alpha likes this

changster

changster

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,287 posts
  • Joined 26-January 13
  • LocationBay Area + Taipei

Tom Chan @ DSC / TPC Racing is fantastic with questions.

My only question is how tested this is with the GTR. On the Porsche it's dialed in perfectly. TPC has figured out the settings for stock shocks as well as with full Tractive coilovers on the Porsche. With Tractive they have multiple spring rate choices depending on application, and it's all been tested at the track. 

- 4.4 liter Alpha 12 built by TSM (R.I.P)
- 4.1 liter ER/ETS 6466 built myself with the help of everyone.

- 4.2 liter billet block <? big boy kit> coming.

13180940063_33e81c30d6_z.jpg

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,882 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
Good question.. They also run them competitively right? So they're getting constant feedback and refinement. Hard to imagine the same constant tweaking goes into the GT-R version.

Dave

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
thanks for posting Tom, very informative.

was also wondering about a drag setup for 1000hp-2000hp gtrs. I know Tony @ T1 has a solution he believes in 100% but this new technology really makes me wonder what's possible in such a situation. making the shocks do what is required when its required for the best 60' and put the power to the floor.

its also fascinating what is possible with the road race gtrs too. JRZ (and now possibly Ohlins as of recently) have been the top solution available since 2010 iirc and already 7racer is improving his laptimes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users