Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Mobil-1 0w-40

* * * * - 2 votes oil

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,684 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Stolen from:

http://www.bobistheo...opics/4015494/1

Summary:

http://pds.mobil.com...1_FS_0W-40.aspx

Dated February, 2016. Of note, still no LL-01 approval. Looks quite different from the outgoing 0w-40:[/size]

Approvals:[/size]
- API SN, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4[/size]
- MB 229.3, 229.5, VW 502 00/505 00, Porsche A40[/size]

Specs:[/size]
@ 40ºC .......................................................................70.8[/size]
@ 100ºC......................................................................12.9[/size]
Viscosity Index..............................................................186[/size]
MRV at -40ºC, cP (ASTM D4684) .........................................21600[/size]
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, (ASTM D4683).......................3.6[/size]
Total Base Number (ASTM D2896).......................................12.6[/size]
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874)..........................................1.34[/size]
Phosphorous, wt% (ASTM D4981).........................................0.1[/size]
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92)...............................................226[/size]
Density @15ºC, g/ml (ASTM D4052).....................................0.8456[/size]

Versus the old M1 0w-40:[/size]

Approvals:[/size]
- API SN, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4[/size]
- MB 229.3, 229.5, LL-01, VW 502 00/505 00, Porsche A40, Nissan GT-R[/size]

Specs:[/size]
@ 40ºC .......................................................................75[/size]
@ 100ºC......................................................................13.5[/size]
Viscosity Index..............................................................185[/size]
MRV at -40ºC, cP (ASTM D4684) .........................................31000[/size]
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, (ASTM D4683).......................3.8[/size]
Total Base Number (ASTM D2896).......................................11.8[/size]
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874)..........................................1.3[/size]
Phosphorous, wt% (ASTM D4981).........................................0.1[/size]
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92)...............................................230[/size]
Density @15ºC, g/ml (ASTM D4052).....................................0.85[/size]

New Mobil-1 is MUCH thinner than original Mobil-1 0W-40 that the original VR38DETT was designed for.  I liked the follow up version of the SN, as it sheared much less than the original SM version.  But this NEW stuff is awfully thin.  I abandoned Mobil-1 for my ride years ago because of heavy track abuse - but I have NEVER been able to say that it was deficient for a stock GT-R.  I'm not so sure about now, but I know I won't be the guinea pig trying the new stuff out.[/size]

Any volunteers to send a sample to Blackstone after usage of the new formula?  It will probably take 4-6 months for distributors to extinguish old stock of the original SN formula?[/size]

Shawn[/size]

• Tim and choerizo like this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,684 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Further info....

Change of formula is due to EXXON/Mobil getting their GTL plant online (unsure) or they are buying from SOPUS...

1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED 68037-01-4 10 - < 20% H304
DISTILLATES (FISCHER - TROPSCH), HEAVY, C18-50 – BRANCHED, CYCLIC AND LINEAR 848301-69-9 40 - < 70% H304

So it is 10-20% PAO and 40-70% GTL!!! 

I have a few buds in EXXON/MOBIL, so I will be seeing if they can update me on any EXXON Gas to Liquid plants coming online.

Shawn

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,620 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

Interesting that it doesn't list GT-R as approved. Wonder if Nissan will be switching oils in the new 2017 model?

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,684 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Interesting that it doesn't list GT-R as approved. Wonder if Nissan will be switching oils in the new 2017 model?

Oil selector from Mobil still recommends it for all including the Nismo.  However, it has certainly lost BMW LL-01 approval, which for a whole BUNCH of BMW owners raises an eyebrow.

Shawn

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,901 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha

Thanks for the heads up Shawn.  I've been running the SN Mobil 1 with great luck (at least per my Blackstone reports) for years, with and without ethanol.  But yeah, the GT-R being pulled from the approvals list is a bit concerning.

-Jeff

haul s

haul s

Stage 4 Member

• 415 posts
  • Joined 18-October 14
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
Well, shit. Bought a couple of jugs on sale at Walmart last week, and looks like I got the new stuff.

New on the left, original on the right:

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Aside from losing BMW and GTR certification, looks like new stuff is missing GM, Chrysler, Saab, and Fiat certification as well.

Yet the new jug carries exactly the same UPC code as the original. At least it's still good for wife's M-B. :shrug:
  • TheNewGuy, icarus, forty-two and 1 other like this

2014 Nissan GT-R Black Edition - haulin' ass!
sigpic71174_3.gif
---
2004 Audi B6 S4 Sedan MT6 - SOLD - OG ass hauler
Brilliant Red, Black/Silver

NickTO

NickTO

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,178 posts
  • Joined 29-December 12

Yet the new jug carries exactly the same UPC code as the original. 

In my line of work, someone would get fired for pulling something like that!

Changing formulation / certification without changing SKU...    :wacko:  :wacko:  :blink:  :blink:

• ian.r and droptopp like this

GT-R Heritage MAKES AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

NICK YOUR A FUNNY FUCKER DUDE  :D   - TIM 2015 & 2016.  2 Years Running!

hawjdude

hawjdude

Stock

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Joined 02-December 14

Time to try something diff. 

descartesfool

descartesfool

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 836 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

At least I have a huge stash. Went crazy buying a ton of those big jugs at a couple of Walmart sales. Wife thought I was nuts! I should be good for a couple of years, and likely more when I start tracking my AMG taking the mileage load off the GT-R. Wonder what oil my new GT-S will need?

But it is strange they would drop the viscosity. Wonder what Porsche specs are that it still is good enough for your GT3 and every other variant.

descartesfool

descartesfool

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 836 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

Here are some VOA's from the bob site:

2011 test

M1_0W40_ORG_VOA.jpg

New FS version 2016 test

M1_0W40_FS_VOA.jpg

It is definitely thinner at 100 degrees C (viscosity of 12.6 vs 13.4 both close to specs), has a lower TBN (11.2 vs 12.5 which does not match the spec for either as the new one should be higher than the old one and test result is the reverse), Zinc is about the same (1005 vs 1023) and boron is up (280 vs 221) and Phosphorous is up (978 vs 893) which are both better by a significant margin. One would have to see some more samples as a single sample doesn't tell you too much.

So it's a new recipe. Likely still good. Mine has been going strong on the old M1 for 7-1/2 years now. How much viscosity does one need?

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,684 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Here are some VOA's from the bob site:

2011 test

attachicon.gifM1_0W40_ORG_VOA.jpg

New FS version 2016 test

attachicon.gifM1_0W40_FS_VOA.jpg

It is definitely thinner at 100 degrees C (viscosity of 12.6 vs 13.4 both close to specs), has a lower TBN (11.2 vs 12.5 which does not match the spec for either as the new one should be higher than the old one and test result is the reverse), Zinc is about the same (1005 vs 1023) and boron is up (280 vs 221) and Phosphorous is up (978 vs 893) which are both better by a significant margin. One would have to see some more samples as a single sample doesn't tell you too much.

So it's a new recipe. Likely still good. Mine has been going strong on the old M1 for 7-1/2 years now. How much viscosity does one need?

Descartesfool,

STIL after seven years you will not be moved?

So what would Mobil have to do to turn you away?

41vV5-qdCqL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

So would that turn you away?

This oil will lose you warranty coverage if you use it in a BMW.  While it's a GREAT off the shelf oil for a stock car, for a high horsepower heavily boosted GT-R.....I wouldn't.

Shawn

descartesfool

descartesfool

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 836 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

Yup. Same old, same old. When I run out of my stash, maybe there will be something new available.

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,684 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Yup. Same old, same old. When I run out of my stash, maybe there will be something new available.

Nissan approved
http://u.8.cf.nengun...-e0050b78a7.jpg

nengun-405848-00-nismo-competition_oil_5
Shawn

Edited by shawnhayes, 10 March 2016 - 08:38 PM.

• Tim likes this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,666 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Shawn, any news on whether or not they are changing the 15w-50 formula??

Edited by elf_cruiser, 10 March 2016 - 09:23 PM.

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,901 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha

Nissan approved
http://u.8.cf.nengun...-e0050b78a7.jpg

nengun-405848-00-nismo-competition_oil_5
Shawn

Yeah but Costco *never* has this in 5 quart containers. Total BS!
  • bpauto likes this
-Jeff

bpauto

bpauto

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 558 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13

Yeah but Costco *never* has this in 5 quart containers. Total BS!

If only Costco would carry Motul... :P

Motul has other variants that would work with the GT-R though, which are readily available stateside.

gtrrforumsignature.jpg

213.745.6954 | sales@gt-rr.com                                                   
Official North American Distributor: Top Secret, Amuse, Mines, Do Luck, Varis, TOMMYKAIRA / Rowen, Voltex, JUN, ESPRIT, Top Racing, ZELE + More!

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,684 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Shawn, any news on whether or not they are changing the 15w-50 formula??

Not certain at this time. However, visiom is the base stock used for all formulas of Mobil-1 since both SM and prior SN version. This is a clear BASE STOCK reformulation to a PAO and a gas based stock, and will likely follow down all lines. 0w-40 is the HARDEST viscosity to achieve and the new properties are reflected in that. None of the other weights will have as dramatic a change in the base properties, but we can presume they will change SOME. Not nearly as much.

But, I stick to the above - you using stock power? Great oil still.

Not for me, though. 80% of my miles are spent at WOT, and even Nissan believes a double ester is better for that application.

Shawn

d-pak

d-pak

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Joined 24-October 13

I am running this oil. Not out of choice but out of mistake...did not get a chance get to this post before putting it into the engine. Double checked the jug last night and sure as heck it was the new one. I have 250miles on it so far. I do not have empirical evidence on its workings in GT-R yet but I will gladly send a sample out to Blackstone. My observation so far are, they are all subjective, but having driven the same car for 7 years...one gets in tune with its characteristics.

My fill is usually F mark minus 3-4mm. At start the engine oil gauge read 5 dots out of 5.

- The engine cranks over slightly easier at a cold start

- The overall engine is overall noisier when warm...the ticking sound that comes from the hood vents and other the general sound of the engine are louder....just makes it seem looser...hard to describe.

- This maybe a coincidence but the bellhousing (replacement TSB by Nissan was done 2 years ago) has been louder at idle since the oil change perhaps because the car idles ~50rpm lower now and it hitting that sweet spot of rattling the bellhousing. I usually clean out filters and do an idle re-learn at he beginning of the season, so idles dropped. It was this change in engine that caused me to re-look at the jug to see what i put in.

- The eye-ball average engine oil temp is running about 5-8F lower. First I thought it was just the outside air being ~50F, but nah...the engine usually got much warmer on the same trips with the old oil even when it was 20F outside.

- At WOT, the engine just seems looser....not sure how I can describe it better than that...I have no felt any lack or gain in power.

Generally...I want my old oil back. I will send this out to blackstone at 1000 miles...but note that my last blackstone report was probably ~8000 miles and 2 years ago.

I have also reached out to NNA to ask them what they recommend now.

Edited by d-pak, 30 March 2016 - 08:39 AM.

• 7racer and choerizo like this

DIY Guides Related to my GT-R Projects --> http://gtrtech.blogspot.com

descartesfool

descartesfool

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 836 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

Descartesfool,

STIL after seven years you will not be moved?

So what would Mobil have to do to turn you away?

41vV5-qdCqL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

So would that turn you away?

This oil will lose you warranty coverage if you use it in a BMW.  While it's a GREAT off the shelf oil for a stock car, for a high horsepower heavily boosted GT-R.....I wouldn't.

Shawn

Forgot to add this: Secondary Oil Cooler keeps things nice and cool on my car since 2012!

Temps on track before coming into the paddock after each of two 30 minute sessions of running hard on 2009 with OEM power and 31 C ambient were:

Transmission with HKS DCT cooler: 125 C (257 F)
Engine oil with add-on DIY oil cooler: 112 C (234 F)
Engine coolant with OEM rad:99 C (210 F)

So high temp oil viscosity not as much of a concern on my car.

P1070757.JPG?psid=1

P1070756.JPG?psid=1

• icarus and 7racer like this

Nosferatu

Nosferatu

Stage 1 Member

• 153 posts
  • Joined 13-March 16
  • LocationAhead of You :)

any thoughts on Eneos 0w50?

2014 Nissan GT-R :D 
Mods: FBO + Litchfield Suspension + Greddy Tranmission Cooler + AMS Race Intercooler + ETS 4" Titanium Exhaust + AP Racing Jhook rotors + Flex fuel kit + FORE Innovative + ECUTek Phase 5 + HRE 3 piece forged wheels with Titanium hardware
Best 60': 1.534 (R888 32psi)
Best ET: 10.247 Best MPH: 135.13

Other Rides:
2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus (Ara Blue Crystal)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: oil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users