Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

GTR Billet Uprights

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

brypar

brypar

Stock

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 16-February 16

Not sure if this should be here or in the road racing category, but I've been told there would be users here interested in billet uprights for motorsport/track use? 

Done a bunch of other cars and just getting started on the Nissans so R32-34 and R35 (plus some S chassis stuff, but no one here would be interested in that!)

If anyone is interested in GTR uprights please let me know. We are based in Australia but ship world wide. I should mention the images belw are just some examples of what we're doing at the moment.

12096084_932416993484233_869706154736217

10989457_947671931958739_710934180507900

12115521_932540836805182_144867446019449

12654349_986689908056941_361094659021613

Edited by brypar, 16 February 2016 - 04:41 PM.

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,489 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationArroyo Grande, CA

Interested!  I'm saving my pennies for the mods to the front uprights to fit more rubber up front, but this would be even better.

Also I'm Australian. :)

Dave

brypar

brypar

Stock

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 16-February 16

Hi Dave,

As you can imagine this sort of stuff costs a fair bit to develop so the more we can get on board the better. Feel free to shoot me an email peter@brpar.com

Cheers

Peter

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,489 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13

I assume you mean peter@brypar.com.  Will do.

In the meantime, 7racer, icarus, ehyman, awdtt, elf_cruiser, forty-two, KMAN, and probably a bunch of other folks I'm forgetting will all hopefully respond here.

Dave

• Tim likes this

brypar

brypar

Stock

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 16-February 16

Thanks Dave, yep peter@brypar.com (my mistake last time!)

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,875 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Hey brypar!  good to see you here.

Told you there would be some interest

can you talk more about what you sent me in email.  Geometry, ducting for brakes, etc?

• Tim likes this

In7anity!!

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,489 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13

POPULAR

Figures you're behind this 7.
  • Tim, icarus, 7racer and 3 others like this

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,765 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX
Would be interested if we can get wider tires under oem fenders. Bonus if brake cooling can be incorporated.
  • 7racer likes this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,875 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Figures you're behind this 7.

:)

• bpauto likes this

In7anity!!

Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,865 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
Provisions for brake cooling would be key.

Doug Ross
Owner of Weapons Grade Performance
-Northeast/Pacific Northwest Shops where we ONLY work on GT-Rs
-Owner/Builder of the 1st Ever Home Garage GT-R Drivetrain Removal
Cobb Protuner / EcuTek Tuner / MoTec Calibrator
-Mainline Dyno in House
doug@weaponsgradeperformance.com
Our Online Store
East Coast Location 21B Ozick Dr, Durham, CT   West Coast Location 16726 146th St SE, Monroe, WA

brypar

brypar

Stock

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 16-February 16

As with any uprights we design to be a bolt-in replacement type one of the first things we do is determine what sort of changes we need to make, what users are asking for etc.

So far we are designing to allow a wider tyre (up to an inch more room) with the possibility of some camber adjustment through a top arm (we don't usually do arms, but we think it could be beneficial to do this as a kit for best integration). We would also use our own tie rod end, which is essentially a spherical bearing in a new housing that bolts directly onto the tie rod. The reason for this is we always like to put steering joints in double shear as we can make this area lighter and stronger and build in a range of adjustment. We are also looking at moving the bearing position to correct roll centre for lowered cars.

Brake ducting needs to go through from the centre of the disc instead of simply blowing on a disc face as you dont want temp difference across opposite faces, so we would look to include some type of duct mounting / cooling apertures to allow better cooling. Braking mounts would remain standard.

All our uprights are machined from 7075-T6. The cost of the material is a fair bit more than a 6 series but the strength benefits outweigh the cost savings.

There would usually be a weight saving when going from a cast steel to aluminium upright but in this case there probably wouldn't be as factory uprghts are an aluminium casting/forging anyway.

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,875 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

brypar,

do you have a GT-R to model from?  What kinda of testing do you do before shipping a final product?

What would be the ETA and average cost of some of your other uprights?

In7anity!!

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,489 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
As much rubber up front as possible please. I'm aiming to run the 355 ACR tyres all round, which ideally runs on a 13" I believe. Ideally it'd fit with ohlins dampers and have a nice functional brake ducting!

Dave
  • elf_cruiser likes this

brypar

brypar

Stock

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 16-February 16

At this stage we don't but that's not an issue. We're working on our R32-34 uprights currently while the R35 is still in the planning stages.

All our analysis work is done through our software and we always design in more safety than is required. A lot of our components could actually be lighter, but we prefer to err on the safe side. Full stress analysis is carried out on both the scanned and new designs at multiple points. We look for weak areas in the standard design to improve them in these areas so than the final part we produce is both stronger and lighter (where possible) than standard. We do not compromise on safety, ever.

Once a final design has been signed off we manufacture a single component for test fitting. We check for things like tolerances, machine marks that may induce unwanted stress etc.

Usually the process is around 3 months to develop an upright from start to finish because of the costs involved it's not something that can be done quickly, especially when we have to work on other projects to provide income for the business. 

Our other off-the-shelf uprights that are strut based with bolt-in bearings retail for AUD $3300 a pair and feature everything I've mentioned above previously. I know from the stuff we've been doing with the earlier GTRs that these R35's will be significantly more simply due to the machine time, billet material size and complexity. There's not much we can do about this though. Initial costs analysis is putting them in the USD 6-7K range, but this could go either way. We wont fully know until we have a design concept complete. To be honest I cant imagine them being more and actually hoping to be a lot less, but when quoting numbers we sort of have to cover ourselves just in case. We underquoted a project last year for some uprights (mainly due to design changes throughout the project) that jump from 9K to 16K - just machining) which meant we made nothing on the project!

We'd love to get an idea of numbers together as the more we can produce in an initial batch run the better we can price them. There's not much point doing a batch run of 10 if we can only sell a single set!

• 7racer likes this

brypar

brypar

Stock

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 16-February 16

And if everyone is after the same type of features thats even better. The more feedback we get up front the faster the whole process will be.

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,875 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

I would love this...I could fit tires under the stock fender and not have to do the wide kit.

BUT with these maybe I could run 355 square with good offsets.

EXCITING!

its costly but like what you said about testing and the product.

Could you post the R32-34 uprights and what you did and why so we get a feel for what you guys do?

I'm IN!!! so hopefully more people will jump in too.

In7anity!!

brypar

brypar

Stock

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 16-February 16

Will post up some images as soon as we're at the stage where we're happy to show something. I don't like show concepts and our design phase working stuff as they're generally not a true indication of the final product.

ehyman

ehyman

Stock

• Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Joined 24-August 14

For those of you that aren't aware, you can already get a set of modified uprights from Black Watch racing to allow for more tire clearnce. Bear in mind though there are trade offs and its a *VERY* tight fit.

Back to Brypars proposal....

I for one would be interested in a design that not only allowed for  wider tires to be fit, but was desigend with a replacement *lower* control arm that  had the ball joint oriented the right way to allow for integrated roll center correction :)

Eric

• 7racer likes this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,875 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13
Can someone explain the geometry and roll center etc to me??

In7anity!!

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,489 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
I'll have whatever ehyman is having.
  • 7racer, choerizo and thebeast like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users