Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

WR35BD Billet Front Differential Housing

* * * * * 1 votes billet front diff housing

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

jdmrb1

jdmrb1

Stage 3 Member

• 301 posts
  • Joined 22-February 15
  • LocationYokohama Japan

When you take the factory part and put it in the billet housing it just looks out of place lol. Seriously though, I wanted a part that added rigidity so we could really fine tune the preload on the carrier.  Many times the oem part is damaged by the time we get it.

Same goes for the OEM Diff cover on a Billet case.

VR_power

VR_power

Stage 4 Member

• 936 posts
  • Joined 05-January 15
Willall how about a properly machined billet bellhousing so we don’t have to listen to the damn rattling anymore. I bet you would sell tons of those!
  • Tim and Martin Donnon like this

Martin Donnon

Martin Donnon

Stage 3 Member

• 327 posts
  • Joined 26-May 15

Willall how about a properly machined billet bellhousing so we don’t have to listen to the damn rattling anymore. I bet you would sell tons of those!

We are in the process :)

• thehelix112 and VR_power like this

WILLALL Group of Companies

WILLALL CNC Engine components available exclusively through Extreme Turbo Systems in the USA

WILLALL CNC Transmission components available exclusively through Sheptrans in the USA

WILLALL RACING components available from Extreme Turbo Systems, Sheptrans, and Speed For Sale in the USA

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,877 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Yay. That rattle is annoying as shit.
  • VR_power likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,768 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Yay. That rattle is annoying as shit.

Everyone does realize that the drive-train DESIGN is responsible for this problem?

The engineer talk that Jeremy Clarkson had with the engineers before he test drove the GT-R in the episode he broke his neck (supposedly) he made mention of it.

The drive-train only lines up perfectly under load.  When fully accelerating, the annoying rattle is gone.

But that design wears that bellhousing terribly over time.  A lot of design changes have been made to improve it over the revisions to keep the wear down, but with that design there's no way it can be permanently FIXED.

The aftermarket has made some attempts to fix it (including WillAll), but they are fighting the original design.  Unless the driveshaft has some redesigned flex points or mounting angles I'm not sure how that can be fully addressed.

On the other hand, there are several first year CBA's around that have the original bellhousing.  Mine included.  It rattles like hell until it is warmed up and under load, but as long as it doesn't damage the motor (I know it can under certain circumstances) I don't feel compelled to replace the bellhousing yet.

Shawn

• Tim, 7racer and thehelix112 like this

Formidable

Formidable

Stage 1 Member

• 190 posts
  • Joined 24-December 15
Very informative post. Thanks for sharing. I just chalked up the rattle to the normal mechanical orchestra we experience on a daily basis.

Everyone does realize that the drive-train DESIGN is responsible for this problem?

The engineer talk that Jeremy Clarkson had with the engineers before he test drove the GT-R in the episode he broke his neck (supposedly) he made mention of it.

The drive-train only lines up perfectly under load. When fully accelerating, the annoying rattle is gone.

But that design wears that bellhousing terribly over time. A lot of design changes have been made to improve it over the revisions to keep the wear down, but with that design there's no way it can be permanently FIXED.

The aftermarket has made some attempts to fix it (including WillAll), but they are fighting the original design. Unless the driveshaft has some redesigned flex points or mounting angles I'm not sure how that can be fully addressed.

On the other hand, there are several first year CBA's around that have the original bellhousing. Mine included. It rattles like hell until it is warmed up and under load, but as long as it doesn't damage the motor (I know it can under certain circumstances) I don't feel compelled to replace the bellhousing yet.

Shawn

VR_power

VR_power

Stage 4 Member

• 936 posts
  • Joined 05-January 15

The drive-train only lines up perfectly under load. When fully accelerating, the annoying rattle is gone.

But that design wears that bellhousing terribly over time. A lot of design changes have been made to improve it over the revisions to keep the wear down, but with that design there's no way it can be permanently FIXED.

The aftermarket has made some attempts to fix it (including WillAll), but they are fighting the original design. Unless the driveshaft has some redesigned flex points or mounting angles I'm not sure how that can be fully addressed.

On the other hand, there are several first year CBA's around that have the original bellhousing. Mine included. It rattles like hell until it is warmed up and under load, but as long as it doesn't damage the motor (I know it can under certain circumstances) I don't feel compelled to replace the bellhousing yet.

Shawn

I remember that scene in the gtr episode of top gear. If I remember correctly he was talking about the suspension not the drivetrain. Does anyone know if this rattle is a common issue with the R32/R33/R34? If they could make it not rattle back then I don’t accept any other answer as being anything other then a cover up.
  • 7racer likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,768 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

I remember that scene in the gtr episode of top gear. If I remember correctly he was talking about the suspension not the drivetrain. Does anyone know if this rattle is a common issue with the R32/R33/R34? If they could make it not rattle back then I don’t accept any other answer as being anything other then a cover up.

I was CONVINCED I could find that statement somewhere with clarkson.  Somehow I cannot find it for sure now.  Dammit.

But I remember it somewhere from the gajillion factoids we got in the first few years.  Clarkson DID say that each engine was tailored to work with only ONE transmission.  I'm not sure that's exactly right.

But the suspension is assembled on a jig under load.   You are right about that.

Shawn

Edited by shawnhayes, 31 December 2017 - 04:07 PM.

• thehelix112 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users