Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Awdtt's build thread

* * * * * 3 votes

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,097 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

Hehe fair enough! Easy to experiment with either way. Pretty sure there is a reason kman runs proper ones. (which also look awesome imho)

Dave

Let me say this another way.  The end plates don't have to be as big as Kman's to prevent air from spilling off the ends, which is what end plates are designed to do.  If you look at the vortices generated by a wing of this shape, it can be seen that the airflow will remain within the confines of the end plates.  Plus I already bought it.

• 7racer likes this
2015 BE Frankenmotor

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,424 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationArroyo Grande, CA
Fair enough. That is counter to what I recall when I read these two books: http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/0857330071and http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/0837601428 but that was quite a few years ago. Maybe time to update my knowledge.

To be clear though, I'm not saying the wing is bad, and I'm sure the endplates pop off so you can experiment with them later if you choose to. :)

Thanks,

Dave

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,424 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
This rather well informed chap agrees with me (though quoting Katz too): http://www.mulsannes...gendplates.html

Dave

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,097 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

No argument that Kman's end plates look killer and are more functional than mine.  End plates do matter - I was kidding around last night.  This was an over-budget purchase, the price was right, and it included the trunk.  Also if you look, everything attaches to the inside of the deck lid, so no messing with the body of the car.  I'm sure we can fabricate something bigger if needed.

PS.  My wife thinks all wings look obnoxious and are unnecessary.  Take her for a hot lap on a 120 MPH sweeper with and without, and she'd be a believer.  Only problem is, she'll only ride with me if I don't use more than about 10% throttle.

Edited by awdtt, 30 January 2016 - 08:03 AM.

• Tim, 7racer and Aranha like this
2015 BE Frankenmotor

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago

Nice wing, what wing is it?

one thing i noticed, it needs moar pictures!

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,097 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

GT1R CNC oil pan ordered.

• Tim, 7racer, jima and 1 other like this
2015 BE Frankenmotor

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,097 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14
Probably should have thought of it sooner. The new motor will run up to 9400 according to Bill.
  • 7racer likes this
2015 BE Frankenmotor

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,424 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
Whaaaa? Jesus.

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,097 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

POPULAR

Whaaaa? Jesus.

It will be a different car.  With between 550 and 620 WP, I couldn't really get into much trouble.  But with 750, and able to wind it out to 8500-9000 while holding 20 PSI, power will be used sparingly until I get used to it.  Can't help but <grin> just thinking about it.

• Tim, ian.r, 7racer and 3 others like this
2015 BE Frankenmotor

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,097 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

Full disclosure guys, my MCR splitter/diffuser came in Friday, and JimA and I were able to take closer look at it on Saturday as we loaded up my car to take it in to receive its new motor and all of the go-fast parts listed up above.

The MCR is a complete disappointment to me.  Being a "drop-in replacement" for the OEM couldn't be further from the truth.  It amounts to a single-piece fiberglass bottom tray that replaces *part* of the OEM splitter and a lip that has holes in front for air to come in.  The bottom tray has some ducts riveted on them, not unlike what Ourtoy did.  The molded pieces don't even sit flush with the fiberglass, so air can escape into the void above the tray.  The ducts themselves form a weird air pattern that doesn't really seem to direct air, in any organized fashion anyway, towards the brake rotors.

But the biggest rub is that, because it's really not the complete splitter/diffuser, we'll have to hack up the OEM splitter in order to re-use the "frame" because that's where the structure and reinforcement comes from, as well as a place for the MCR lip to line up with the ducts.  

I've e-mailed Bulletproof with my concerns, but haven't heard back.  They are usually very busy but eventually respond.  I'm not sure whether there's anything they can do, since this was custom ordered in September and had to be flown as checked baggage from Japan at significant cost.

Attached Images

• 20160206_114012.jpg
  • 20160206_114026.jpg
  • 20160206_114146.jpg
  • 20160206_114138.jpg

Edited by awdtt, 08 February 2016 - 03:37 PM.

• jima likes this
2015 BE Frankenmotor

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,424 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13

Lame.    Why don't these people actually test their shit?

Dave

• choerizo likes this

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,097 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

Update from Bulletproof.  They say to go ahead and bolt the diffuser to the lip and bolt everything up to the bumper as usual.  Also, use 2 support brackets in front.  Here's the picture of the ready-to-be installed product.  We are still skeptical that this has enough rigidity/strength, but will do a dry fit and see how it goes.

Attached Images

• image004.jpg

2015 BE Frankenmotor

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,097 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

False alarm on the MCR lip.  It should work without any transfer of parts from the OEM splitter.  Whew.   In other news, the motor is almost completely dressed.  It's missing a couple of water fittings and a solenoid connector.  That stuff should be in tomorrow or Wednesday.  Here's a picture of the 90 MM downpipes that taper to 76 MM to fit the midpipe.  My dog, Shayna made it into the picture.

Attached Images

• 20160215_155257.jpg

• Tim, 7racer, choerizo and 1 other like this
2015 BE Frankenmotor

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,097 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

POPULAR

Dry fitting the BoostLogic Race intercooler.

Attached Images

• 20160215_164621.jpg

• Tim, 7racer, choerizo and 2 others like this
2015 BE Frankenmotor

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,097 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

Something that Marco noticed with the Stillen CCM solution.  The spacers provided for the rear calipers are so thick that the OEM caliper bolts only penetrate into the caliper about 5 threads.  We are going to procure some longer bolts by using OEM fronts and adapting them for the rear.

2015 BE Frankenmotor

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,097 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14
Intercooler installed. I wonder how much air is being blocked by the crash bar. Could it be notched an inch up from the bottom?128fca6298a0b1b515de4b7096ed0e39.jpg

Edited by awdtt, 15 February 2016 - 09:41 PM.

2015 BE Frankenmotor

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,848 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Intercooler installed. I wonder how much air is being blocked by the crash bar. Could it be notched an inch up from the bottom?128fca6298a0b1b515de4b7096ed0e39.jpg

Not sure, but this is where all the arguments start to come in on ducting...even with these super large IC....

Either ducting or a larger opening.

I don't know if you remember, I had that bumper support water jetted open to match the openings to the TS bumper...but still worry about air getting around it.

• ian.r and awdtt like this

In7anity!!

Bill@SiR

Bill@SiR

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 476 posts
  • Joined 21-December 12
  • LocationMiami FL

Well the boost connector was in the box :) so 1 more thing off the list. 

Coming together, should be super fun setup.  Extremely quick spool and very good pump gas power.

The bumper also blocks airflow, so its better to direct it from the bumper using aero, than it is to just randomly cut things.  If you had a bumper with a larger hole in it then it would be a different story! 

• ian.r, jima and awdtt like this

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,097 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

Not sure, but this is where all the arguments start to come in on ducting...even with these super large IC....

I don't know if you remember, I had that bumper support water jetted open to match the openings to the TS bumper...but still worry about air getting around it.

I might want to tackle that next year. Right now, Marco is on a roll. Version 3.0 should be ready to drive around by the weekend.
  • thebeast likes this
2015 BE Frankenmotor

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,097 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

I would guess that air getting around it wouldn't be too bad, since some of it would reach the radiator.

2015 BE Frankenmotor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users