Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Awdtt's build thread

* * * * * 3 votes

• Please log in to reply
315 replies to this topic

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,867 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Thanks Bob! Some of the other guys expressed interest in the little caliper funnels that I made. PM me if you are interested in a set.
  • 7racer and awdtt like this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• 1,075 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

Thanks Bob! Some of the other guys expressed interest in the little caliper funnels that I made. PM me if you are interested in a set.

I was up til 4 AM reading the rest of your build thread and watching videos. I remember following it when you started. Nice job. That was a shit ton of work. Good luck with the finals.
  • elf_cruiser likes this

2015 BE Frankenmotor

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• 1,075 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14
Trans temps have been averaging higher during each event. I'm starting to suspect that there is something wrong with my HKS trans oil cooling system.

I did an analysis of the entire video of the first session of the second day at Watkins Glen during which the trans let go. I found something astonishing. The ambient temps on the previous day hovered close to 100 so we weren't surprised that the trans overheated (285F). Asphalt temp in the pits was 132. But on the morning of the second day, we had upper 70s and the track was just drying.

This is a graph of readings taken at each even minute of the video along with the entrance speed at the previous turn. What do you guys think? Do I have a pump issue, or am I revving it too much, or what?0118328830e92f0a86a9fcf07a1940e8.jpg

2015 BE Frankenmotor

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,867 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
285 is crazy high, way too hot. I have no idea how the HKS is supposed to perform, or how your increased power might be adding some heat - but you definitely need to get those temps down. The factory trans fluid is probably like water at those temps, eeek!

Did it ever run that hot before?
  • awdtt likes this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• 1,075 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

285 is crazy high, way too hot. I have no idea how the HKS is supposed to perform, or how your increased power might be adding some heat - but you definitely need to get those temps down. The factory trans fluid is probably like water at those temps, eeek!

Did it ever run that hot before?

No, but all fluids are getting increasingly hotter. As previously mentioned, in the dash display, all three temp gauges turned blood red and the ECU threw a code and put it into limp home mode the previous day.

I'm having a hard time believing THIS is the first signal of global warming

2015 BE Frankenmotor

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,010 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

No, but all fluids are getting increasingly hotter. As previously mentioned, in the dash display, all three temp gauges turned blood red and the ECU threw a code and put it into limp home mode the previous day.

I'm having a hard time believing THIS is the first signal of global warming

Questions:

1. When was the fluid last changed and what kind of fluid?

2. When you did the upgraded clutch, would you have done the "blueprinted" Dodson transmission pump kit?

3. With #2 above, have you done the anti-surge plate

4. When was the last time you inspected the radiator and removed debris in the passages?

5. Have you checked the fluid level?

Sorry, just essential to helping out with this in any way.

Shawn

• choerizo and Formidable like this

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• 1,075 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

Questions:

1. When was the fluid last changed and what kind of fluid?

Dodson-DMS-TFP-SPORT10 (Green, but needed 12 liters because the HKS cooler)

2. When you did the upgraded clutch, would you have done the "blueprinted" Dodson transmission pump kit?

Not that i know of.  Just dropped the baskets in.

3. With #2 above, have you done the anti-surge plate

Not that I know of.  I helped out, but don't remember that piece.  But that doesn't mean that wasn't done.

4. When was the last time you inspected the radiator and removed debris in the passages?

Right before the track days.

5. Have you checked the fluid level?

Yes. Full.

Sorry, just essential to helping out with this in any way.

Shawn

2015 BE Frankenmotor

Formidable

Formidable

Stage 3 Member

• 316 posts
  • Joined 24-December 15
I will check it out!

BTW, what were your clutch capacities set at? Maybe the slipping led to increasing trans temps prior to the failure?

@Formidable, you betcha I will. I run the W007s with ST rotors. I never tried the W008s. According to RB, the sintered pads are nicer to the rotors. I hope so. But ultimately the car needs a brake cooling system for the fronts.

BTW, I just read elf_cruisers article on his rear brake solution. Some of the pictures wouldn't load on my phone, but what I did see was pretty damn good. I wish I could weld (actually, I wish I could do a lot of things). He's done a really nice job on those rears.

2014 Premium | TSM Built Motor & Elite Plus 1124 AWHP | WGP Assembled & Tune | Shep 1K | Racing Brake | AMS | Unobtainium | Advan GT | Overtake | Varis | DCTMS | BRIDE | https://instagram.com/formidable_gtr

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• 1,075 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

I will check it out!

BTW, what were your clutch capacities set at? Maybe the slipping led to increasing trans temps prior to the failure?

When I use the TCM Tool and press Read now, I get this:

Nissan GTR TCM Tools
ECU : Nissan GTR R35 Transmission ECU 2014MY->
Clutch A Protection 1              : N
Clutch A Protection 2              : N
Clutch A Protection 3              : N
Clutch A Protection 4              : N
Clutch B Protection 1              : N
Clutch B Protection 2              : N
Clutch B Protection 3              : N
Clutch B Protection 4              : N
Clutch Overheat Protection History : N
Line Pressure Loss History         : N
High Oil Pressure History 1        : Y
High Oil Pressure History 2        : N
High Oil Pressure History 3        : N

Oil Temperature History:

Oil Temperature Frequency 1 (-50°C/-58F to -20°C/ -4F): 0 
Oil Temperature Frequency 2 (-20°C/ -4F to  80°C/176F): 1680 
Oil Temperature Frequency 3 ( 80°C/176F to 110°C/230F): 369 
Oil Temperature Frequency 4 (110°C/230F to 140°C/284F): 21 
Oil Temperature Frequency 5 (140°C/284F and over)     : 0 

Clutch Learning:

Clutch Capacity   A: 0 
Clutch Capacity   B: -1 
Clutch TouchPoint A: -3 
Clutch TouchPoint B: -4

The auto adjust TPs were set that way by Bill because the Dodson clutches need to be tamed.

2015 BE Frankenmotor

Formidable

Formidable

Stage 3 Member

• 316 posts
  • Joined 24-December 15
Hmm... those clutch capacities seem low. I would assume both CC at 3+ when tracking the GTR with anything less than a Shep 1k? Even the touch points are both set at negative 2 for mine.

I’m guessing clutch slip led to the increase in trans temps?

When I use the TCM Tool and press Read now, I get this:

Nissan GTR TCM Tools
ECU : Nissan GTR R35 Transmission ECU 2014MY->
Clutch A Protection 1 : N
Clutch A Protection 2 : N
Clutch A Protection 3 : N
Clutch A Protection 4 : N
Clutch B Protection 1 : N
Clutch B Protection 2 : N
Clutch B Protection 3 : N
Clutch B Protection 4 : N
Clutch Overheat Protection History : N
Line Pressure Loss History : N
High Oil Pressure History 1 : Y
High Oil Pressure History 2 : N
High Oil Pressure History 3 : N

Oil Temperature History:

Oil Temperature Frequency 1 (-50°C/-58F to -20°C/ -4F): 0
Oil Temperature Frequency 2 (-20°C/ -4F to 80°C/176F): 1680
Oil Temperature Frequency 3 ( 80°C/176F to 110°C/230F): 369
Oil Temperature Frequency 4 (110°C/230F to 140°C/284F): 21
Oil Temperature Frequency 5 (140°C/284F and over) : 0

Clutch Learning:

Clutch Capacity A: 0
Clutch Capacity B: -1
Clutch TouchPoint A: -3
Clutch TouchPoint B: -4

The auto adjust TPs were set that way by Bill because the Dodson clutches need to be tamed.

Edited by Formidable, 05 August 2018 - 10:54 PM.

2014 Premium | TSM Built Motor & Elite Plus 1124 AWHP | WGP Assembled & Tune | Shep 1K | Racing Brake | AMS | Unobtainium | Advan GT | Overtake | Varis | DCTMS | BRIDE | https://instagram.com/formidable_gtr

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• 1,075 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

Yeah, I didn't hear the details, but my understanding is when we put the Dodson clutches in that they needed to be set that low in order for the car not to jerk violently on shifts.  Do you think this has something to do with the trans temp?  I

In answer to Shawn's question, I change the trans oil out before every event.  Every.  Same with engine oil.  I use nothing but Amsoil Dominator 15W50.

Edited by awdtt, 05 August 2018 - 10:57 PM.

2015 BE Frankenmotor

Formidable

Formidable

Stage 3 Member

• 316 posts
  • Joined 24-December 15
Yeah if the clutch capacities were set that low you were probably getting a bunch of slip. Clutch slip can raise trans temps for sure.

On my shep 1k both cc set at zero and tp both at negative 2 for daily driving.

Yeah, I didn't hear the details, but my understanding is when we put the Dodson clutches in that they needed to be set that low in order for the car not to jerk violently on shifts. Do you think this has something to do with the trans temp? I

In answer to Shawn's question, I change the trans oil out before every event. Every. Same with engine oil. I use nothing but Amsoil Dominator 15W50.

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• 1,075 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

Yeah if the clutch capacities were set that low you were probably getting a bunch of slip. Clutch slip can raise trans temps for sure.

On my shep 1k both cc set at zero and tp both at negative 2 for daily driving.

That makes a lot of sense. Hope I haven't damaged or reduced the lifetime of any of the OEM electronics, etc., that aren't part of Shep's estimate. The Dodson Extreme gearset should eliminate a little worry as long as the electronics and valve body stuff didn't fry.

2015 BE Frankenmotor

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,010 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Hmm... those clutch capacities seem low. I would assume both CC at 3+ when tracking the GTR with anything less than a Shep 1k? Even the touch points are both set at negative 2 for mine.

I’m guessing clutch slip led to the increase in trans temps?

I agree with Formidable here. Low cc can increase temps. Nissan recommends higher cc’s for stock Gt-R’s for track.

Also I recommend Dodson’s blueprinted pump and the anti surge plate.

And the higher grade red fluid from Dodson. It’s a true gear oil and while thick on the scale of the GR6 it’s not really thick at all and will be closer to optimal viscosity on track.

Shawn

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• 1,075 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

Which one of these?  The DMS Drag gear lubrication and temps are lower than the TFP Sport.  Even before I has having this issue, the temp would get up as high as 260 but since I change it for every event, I wasn't reall breaking down the viscosity.  But 285 is off the chart here!  Seems counter intuitive.

Attached Images

• Dodson.png

Edited by awdtt, 06 August 2018 - 06:12 AM.

2015 BE Frankenmotor

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,010 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Which one of these?  The DMS Drag gear lubrication and temps are lower than the TFP Sport.  Even before I has having this issue, the temp would get up as high as 260 but since I change it for every event, I wasn't reall breaking down the viscosity.  But 285 is off the chart here!  Seems counter intuitive.

dodson_DMS-TFP.png

Doesn't look like they have this anymore.  This was the one I was recommending.  My BET is that its the DRAG formula now.  It's red.

Recommend: Contacting Dodson and asking what is their highest temp tolerance formula with the best heat carrying capacity.

But you HAVE to get that temp down.  That's what everybody stressed to me before my transmission failed.  My clutches and Gearset were in PERFECT condition - when my piston seal failed.  Who cares how good the fluid and lubricity are when the piston seal is cooked.

Shawn

• Tim and thehelix112 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users