Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Awdtt's build thread

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,513 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

I was planning on trying it for the first time on my checkout ride, lol.

That's a winning strategy for sure!
Hello Mr Instructor, how does that dashboard taste?!
  • 7racer, thehelix112 and awdtt like this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• 935 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

Two laps in at Sebring and there's smoke billowing from the back of the car.  I pulled off into the escape route after Turn 7.  Oil gauge showed normal pressure, so when the fire rescue team arrived, I declined the tow and they led the way back to the paddock without accidentally going on to the hot track.

The oil leak appears to be coming from an upper fitting on the driver side turbo when oil pressure is higher, i.e., it doesn't leak at idle.  Oil sprays onto the hot manifold and there's where the smoke was coming from.  The observed lap time on the one clean lap I got was no better than I'd done pre-build, and a quick glance at the speedo at the end of Pullman straight was around 145, which is the same as I had with stock turbos.  I had also forgotten to connect the ECU bridge back into the ODBII port after I had to re-learn one of the TPMSs with the EcuTek tool.  So boost wasn't logged anywhere.

All three track events this year have been blown.  

• Homestead was boost leak (needed catch can) and subsequent fuel pump failure (Walbro 255s are now on my "consumables" list along with brake pads and tires).
  • Daytona was my fault by failing to heed K-Man's advice to use turnbuckles.  
  • Sebring, we don't know yet, but there are already some theories, including possible oil starvation possibly causing one turbo to fail in some way.

Tomorrow, Steve will drop the motor and by Tuesday I should have the complete story about what went wrong, and why.  

• Tim and thehelix112 like this

2015 BE Frankenmotor

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,576 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Sorry to hear that man. Hope it's nothing major.
  • awdtt likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,438 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Two laps in at Sebring and there's smoke billowing from the back of the car.  I pulled off into the escape route after Turn 7.  Oil gauge showed normal pressure, so when the fire rescue team arrived, I declined the tow and they led the way back to the paddock without accidentally going on to the hot track.

The oil leak appears to be coming from an upper fitting on the driver side turbo when oil pressure is higher, i.e., it doesn't leak at idle.  Oil sprays onto the hot manifold and there's where the smoke was coming from.  The observed lap time on the one clean lap I got was no better than I'd done pre-build, and a quick glance at the speedo at the end of Pullman straight was around 145, which is the same as I had with stock turbos.  I had also forgotten to connect the ECU bridge back into the ODBII port after I had to re-learn one of the TPMSs with the EcuTek tool.  So boost wasn't logged anywhere.

All three track events this year have been blown.  

• Homestead was boost leak (needed catch can) and subsequent fuel pump failure (Walbro 255s are now on my "consumables" list along with brake pads and tires).
  • Daytona was my fault by failing to heed K-Man's advice to use turnbuckles.  
  • Sebring, we don't know yet, but there are already some theories, including possible oil starvation possibly causing one turbo to fail in some way.

Tomorrow, Steve will drop the motor and by Tuesday I should have the complete story about what went wrong, and why.  

holy-hoppin-fuckin-jumpin-shit-balls-bat

Dammit.  I'm sorry big fella.

Reason #90001 I'm afraid to do a build on my car.

Shawn

• thehelix112 and awdtt like this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 8,126 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches

That sucks Bob

• awdtt likes this
post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,659 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13
Damn bob. Sorry to hear. At least your foot made it

What is the turnbuckle your referring to!!?
  • awdtt likes this

In7anity!!

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,527 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

I believe it's the support holding up the front splitter from the crashbar. The turnbuckle should allow him to tighten it up if it ever gets loose (at least that is my guess)

• 7racer, thehelix112 and awdtt like this

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• 935 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

I believe it's the support holding up the front splitter from the crashbar. The turnbuckle should allow him to tighten it up if it ever gets loose (at least that is my guess)

Choerizo is correcto!

2015 BE Frankenmotor

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• 935 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14
Interesting and disappointing finding. Before Daytona, Steve happened to find the passenger side turbo water line was almost completely burned through because the installer wedged it against the exhaust manifold. He pulled the motor out, replaced and re-routed the water line and wrapped it with reflective material.

But the oil leak that ended the Sebring event was the driver side turbo. So, we suspected that, since power seemed down, that perhaps the driver side turbo had experienced oil starvation.

Wrong. After pulling the turbos, he found that the passenger side turbo is seized up. The driver side turbo "appears" normal. Steve also determined that new gaskets were *not* used when the turbos were installed. Factory gaskets, were re-used. As the result, there was a huge exhaust leak between the driver side turbo and the downpipe as well as from the exhaust manifold. The shop also attempted to wrap the downpipe with some inferior material that was falling apart. Also noted were missing heat shields. i was lucky to have a good season last year, given the fuckups that existed. It was a question of time.

This is not gonna be a finger-pointing thread. I'm simply moving on with a new turbo (two, if needed) and new gasket material as well as real heat wrapping material.

Probably nothing new to report for a while. I would say, take a close look at how shops do business. If they seem disorganized and don't communicate well, then beware.

Pictures below are when you reuse crush gaskets and/or don't torque things to the required spec. Take your pick.
551a60420de9bdfb6f7862aa21fa5339.jpg
d3ef9aed150924e14d68b47751bf7f9f.jpg
#toastedTurbo

Edited by awdtt, 25 April 2017 - 08:45 PM.

• Tim and 7racer like this

2015 BE Frankenmotor

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,513 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

You can also adjust the amount of downforce generated by the lip. Raising the front edge creates a bit more downforce, and lowering it should lessen the downforce a bit.

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 8,126 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches

Interesting and disappointing finding.  Before Daytona, Steve happened to find the passenger side turbo water line was almost completely burned through because the installer wedged it against the exhaust manifold.  He pulled the motor out, replaced and re-routed the water line and wrapped it with reflective material.

But the oil leak that ended the Sebring event was the driver side turbo.  So, we suspected that, since power seemed down, that perhaps the driver side turbo had experienced oil starvation.

Wrong.  After pulling the turbos, he found that the passenger side turbo is seized up.  The driver side turbo "appears" normal.  Steve also determined that new gaskets were *not* used when the turbos were installed. Factory gaskets,  were re-used.  As the result, there was a huge exhaust leak between the driver side turbo and the downpipe as well as from the exhaust manifold.  The shop also attempted to wrap the downpipe with some inferior material that was falling apart.  Also noted were missing heat shields.  i was lucky to have a good season last year, given the fuckups that existed.  It was a question of time.

This is not gonna be a finger-pointing thread.  I'm simply moving on with a new turbo (two, if needed) and new gasket material as well as real heat wrapping material. 

Probably nothing new to report for a while.  I would say, take a close look at how shops do business.  If they seem disorganized and don't communicate well, then beware.

Bob sorry to here this ! Ionly liked your post as you pointed out what a lot of people need to look for, when getting there car done.
Look at the shop try to do research on them, ask a lot of questions.youll find a shop that does good work and are well organized. Don't go buy some guy brothers best friends uncle went to to the shop
  • awdtt likes this
post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

haul s

haul s

Stage 3 Member

• 382 posts
  • Joined 18-October 14
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
Wow, that's just messed up. Sorry you have to deal with this sort of crap Bob.

2014 Nissan GT-R Black Edition - haulin' ass!
sigpic71174_3.gif
---
2004 Audi B6 S4 Sedan MT6 - SOLD - OG ass hauler
Brilliant Red, Black/Silver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users