Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Black Armor Helmets

- - - - - helmet sa2015 carbon fiber

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,895 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

I have a super nice Sparco Helmet but I started to get some "helmet funk" that wasn't going away with the usual tricks ( febreeze, vodka spray, wearing head sock).

I was looking to upgrade to a SA2015 but didn't want a super expensive helmet.

I think I saw this from forty-two.  There is a nice shop here in Texas that makes some carbon fiber helmets

http://blackarmorhelmets.com

with new ones for the SA2015 certification.

I got mine a while back and have been using it with the Necksgen head restraint and it's been great!  The helmet fits my head much better than the Sparco.  Not only that the customer service has been great!  

When I got my Sparco, the check pads were too big and it makes it looks like I have "chipmunk" cheeks in the helmet.  When I bought the helmet, they mentioned different sized cheek pads but damn if I can ever find one.  Tried emailing Sparco and looking at Racerpartswholesale etc...

When I ordered the Black Armor, she asked what size I wanted and walked me thru what she thought would fit.  It was perfect!  Even if it wasn't right she mentioned she could easily ship a different size out to me!

I did weigh the helmet compare to the Sparco.  The Sparco came in at 4 lbs, BlackArmor 3.7.  

In general the helmet is pretty damn good, though the CF weave on the back looks a bit off.

On the track it's super comfortable and super breathable.  I didn't like the head scoop on top as it's not in the pictures with their Circuit Pro, but she mentioned that it could be removed with some light heat and pulling, but they found it was beneficial for drivers in the Texas heat.

The other things I like was the stand holes for the Hans/Necksgen posts.  I just screwed my anchors in and was ready to go!

Another nice thing was the wide variety of visor tints they have too.  I got the dark mirror and an amber for over cast days.  The helmet comes with clear.

Some things I don't like...that tops scoop and the big freaking logo on the back!  LOL it's under the clear so not removable.

All and all, a good purchase for me for a pretty cheap price compared to other CF helmets and from a local US company to boot!

Enjoy some pics!

P1080666.jpg

P1080666.jpg

the "sock" for the Sparco is thicker and nicer.

Side view

P1080668.jpg

Logo on the back

P1080669.jpg

Certified!

P1080670.jpg

some removable interior pieces to wash

P1080672.jpg

Deeper ear ports than my Sparco

P1080673.jpg

Different lenses...all lenses come with the rip off posts.

P1080674.jpg

Attached Images

• P1080667.jpg

Edited by 7racer, 17 January 2016 - 10:17 PM.

• forty-two, shawnhayes and bpauto like this

In7anity!!

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,708 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Nice man. Vent on top wouldn't fit with me. My head is already pressed against the headlining, and that's with the seat reclined way more than I'd like. Good to have local options though, customer support contributes massively to satisfaction

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 8,423 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches

Nice alternative 

post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

jima

jima

Stage 4 Member

• 1,126 posts
  • Joined 15-February 14
  • LocationSouth Florida

Nice!! Been looking for an alternative CF helmet.. will check these out.

Nodrip

Nodrip

Stage 3 Member

• 301 posts
  • Joined 05-June 14

The quality/price seems good!

My bell cost way more, but is under 3lbs!

Let's meet on track : TrackWithMe

Youtube : Great Troll Racer

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,886 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha

I was looking to upgrade to a SA2015 but didn't want a super expensive helmet.

This is making me question what I think I know about universal laws...

Nice man. Vent on top wouldn't fit with me. My head is already pressed against the headlining, and that's with the seat reclined way more than I'd like. Good to have local options though, customer support contributes massively to satisfaction

How tall are you?  I'm 6'4" and was only in my GTR a couple times with a helmet but was quite happy to not have hit the headliner... Although I do tend to sit with my seat back reclined a bit by default...

-Jeff

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 851 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
I'm 6'5 and hit the headliner with multiple Aria Corsair V and Ducati Corse helmets.

Thought it was just the nature of the beast, still way more room than any other car for me.

Thanks 7 going to pick one of these up. How true do they run to size ?
Using Tapatalk

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,895 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

This is making me question what I think I know about universal laws...

How tall are you?  I'm 6'4" and was only in my GTR a couple times with a helmet but was quite happy to not have hit the headliner... Although I do tend to sit with my seat back reclined a bit by default...

lol I'm very much a cheapskate 

In7anity!!

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,895 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

I'm 6'5 and hit the headliner with multiple Aria Corsair V and Ducati Corse helmets.

Thought it was just the nature of the beast, still way more room than any other car for me.

Thanks 7 going to pick one of these up. How true do they run to size ?

true to size.  I wear a medium in the Sparco...and on the measurements on the website, was exactly the same.

Did the whole tape measure above the eye brows thing.

ps I think I am going to remove that scoop.

In7anity!!

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,895 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

the only thing that you can't measure is the size of the cheek pads, so use your helmet as a baseline and let them know and they can help guide you.

In7anity!!

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,708 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
I'm 6'4" too hiboost. Maybe I have a longer torso? I do prefer the seat back very upright to get closer to the wheel. Feels dumb having to adjust the seat more reclined when I get to the track, but better than driving with my head at 45 degrees I suppose.

Regardless, cool looking helmets!

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,591 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

FYI Black Armor helmets are a sponsor for the Pirelli World Challenge series, so they are quite reputable. I may pick one up after events stop accepting SA2010.

• 7racer likes this

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,299 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
So black armor had a Black Friday sale so I picked one up. This thing is beautiful in person and feels great. I blame 7racer for this purchase. I also will be pairing this with a necksgen rev as I am doing a cage and harnesses as well.

I got it with the blue iridium shield which I love. Compared to my Simpson bandit this helmet is lighter and also slightly more snug. I think I need 1 size smaller cheek pads so will see how quick they can get them out to me.

Overall very impressed

Attached Images

• IMG_6340.JPG
  • IMG_6341.JPG
  • IMG_6344.JPG

• 7racer, shawnhayes, elf_cruiser and 1 other like this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,895 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

I like spending your money!!!

• shawnhayes likes this

In7anity!!

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,895 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

got a Rally helmet with new break away mic boom as mandated by the FIA...

now I just need a Rally car.... :huh:

IMG_3843.jpg

IMG_3844.jpg

IMG_3845.jpg

• Ancalagon and elf_cruiser like this

In7anity!!

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,299 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13