Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Anyone getting the Oculus rift?

- - - - - oculus rift

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,046 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

thats awesome!

so how's the "game play" that is will it help you drive fast IRL?

maybe I should get this in the interim before the next Rift or Vive

In7anity!!

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,699 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Yes I think it helps a good deal. Especially for learning a track you have never been to. The older versions were still good for that, but VR would be even better.

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,046 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Yes I think it helps a good deal. Especially for learning a track you have never been to. The older versions were still good for that, but VR would be even better.

have you tied iRacing or are there other sims for the PS4?

I think I read the ps4 VR is slightly lower res, is that a problem at all?

In7anity!!

VR_power

VR_power

Stage 4 Member

• 929 posts
  • Joined 05-January 15
No free lunch with VR. As always you get what you pay for. Maybe the PSVR is good enough for you but it’s definitely a step down from the Rift. Most important things for visuals in VR are resolution and field of view. The rift beats PSVR easily in those aspects, however the PSVR has some good games I’d like to try on oculus. Next you need to consider the controllers. The rift controllers are the best for VR, this will make a big difference in games that don’t use a steering wheel.
  • 7racer likes this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,699 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

have you tied iRacing or are there other sims for the PS4?

I think I read the ps4 VR is slightly lower res, is that a problem at all?

Yes I have tried iRacing on the Oculus and it was awesome as well. And as VR_power pointed out the Oculus resolution is better than the PS VR headset for sure. The PS VR does have that ‘screen door’ effect but you get used to it very quickly and then you forget it’s there.

Here’s the deal though - as of today you have to choose between the best games or the best hardware - can’t have both. I chose PS4 because of the games, GT Sport in particular. iRacing is not even close to Gran Turismo in terms of graphics, car content, online racing etc etc. GT Sport has an international series that you can enter online wiich is recognized by the FIA. It won’t be long before we are seeing prize money, and kids who make a career out of online racing. Playstation is the way forward for all of those things.

Eventually the PS VR hardware will get better, and GT Sport will add more VR content or they will release another version. This is just the beginning so it’s kind of pointless to argue about the best options of today. Tomorrow is going to be better all the way around!

Cheers!

Edited by elf_cruiser, 20 October 2017 - 04:46 PM.

• Tim and 7racer like this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

VR_power

VR_power

Stage 4 Member

• 929 posts
  • Joined 05-January 15
Yeah I don’t see PlayStation giving up exclusivity for GT. I’m waiting for Microsoft to release a new Forza because it should be built with VR capability and for windows 10 which I believe the new Xbox will run.

2highpsi

2highpsi

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 843 posts
  • Joined 06-December 13
  • LocationCambridge, OH

I had both, and although the resolution was better on Oculus, the PSVR is WAY more immersive.  

Playing GT sport on the PSVR literally tricks my body into thinking I'm moving, and feeling the virtual environment around me.  

I gave up on Oculus.  There are a couple other PC options coming soon that look promising though, like Pimax 8k https://www.kickstar...dset?ref=ewvv2y

I'll have to post up a pic of my setup sometime.

• elf_cruiser likes this

2014 Deep Blue Pearl Track Edition GT-R Alpha 10  #80 of 160

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,046 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13
Hmm what’s the price of entry for the ps4 VR setup?? Should I wait toward Xmas for deals??

In7anity!!

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,699 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
$500 for the VR Bundle with headset, cameras, and controller. Also need a PS4 (preferably the Pro) for $300-400, and then the games, and the steering wheel/pedals assembly.
  • 7racer likes this

2highpsi

2highpsi

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 843 posts
  • Joined 06-December 13
  • LocationCambridge, OH

PSVR is $100 off right now because a "new" model is coming out.

https://slickdeals.n...&src=SiteSearch

the "new model" V2 doesn't have many changes at all, aside from HDR passthrough (when you aren't using the PSVR).  The "problem" can be fixed by switching out the cables when you need HDR non VR content.

• 7racer likes this

VR_power

VR_power

Stage 4 Member

• 929 posts
  • Joined 05-January 15
Rift is $400 now with the touch controllers included, if you have a capable PC or are willing to buy one I recommend it over PSVR. Quite a few awesome titles being worked on for PC that will come out in 12-24 months. Sure grand tourism is a PS exclusive but if you play other types of games it’s a no brainer. I really like FPS and RTS games which suck ass on consoles. Sure you have call of duty and battlefield on consoles but when you get a taste of Arma 3 you realize they console FPS games are like eating baby food compared to Arma which is like a juicy steak. It’s realism is off the charts and I don’t mean just the visuals. Arma creators already confirmed a year ago they were going to build a new Arma for VR.

2highpsi

2highpsi

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 843 posts
  • Joined 06-December 13
  • LocationCambridge, OH
Pshhh Arma 3 servers are dead now :P

Everyone is on PUBG now, lol (which is not VR capable)

VR_power

VR_power

Stage 4 Member

• 929 posts
  • Joined 05-January 15
Arma 3 is an old game now and it’s still head and shoulders above the console FPS titles. They will come back when Bohemian Interactive releases Arma 4. I saw a trailer for it and they showed the oculus touch controllers being used in gameplay. It’s going to be Epic

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,046 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13
What driving sims are out there??

In7anity!!

VR_power

VR_power

Stage 4 Member

• 929 posts
  • Joined 05-January 15
Oculus will be on sale for $350 at Best Buy for Black Friday. Nice deal for a top tier VR platform.
  • 7racer and elf_cruiser like this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,046 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Oculus will be on sale for $350 at Best Buy for Black Friday. Nice deal for a top tier VR platform.

dammit

not sure which way to go

In7anity!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users