Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Anyone getting the Oculus rift?

- - - - - oculus rift

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,046 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/

really want one, but might wait for the first run to go by to work out any lasting kinks or wait for gen two.

I mainly want it for this:

http://www.iracing.com

• Dan_585 and chkana.1974cawN like this

In7anity!!

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,902 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha

I'm generally more excited about the augmented reality devices like the Hololens than the pure VR devices like the Rift, but anything Carmack has had his hands in is probably going to be pretty mind blowing once it's ready for prime time.  I wonder how any of these will work for dorks like me that wear glasses.

-Jeff

Dan_585

Dan_585

Stage 4 Member

• 1,306 posts
  • Joined 30-August 15

Skeptical. I heard a rumor (not sure if it's true) It can make you pretty sick.

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,902 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha

The sickness comes from the latency.  If the refresh rate isn't fast enough most people will get sick.  This has been the thing they've been working towards the whole time - getting it fast enough.  Supposedly they are there but not all apps/games will be the same.  The more detailed the graphics the slower the frame rate and when you get close to that cut-off the puke will fly...

• Dan_585 likes this
-Jeff

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,046 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Skeptical. I heard a rumor (not sure if it's true) It can make you pretty sick.

anything can that dissociates your motion sensors in your eyes from your balance sensors in the ear...

some people are more sensitive to it than others.  However, before Oculus Rift released their production version they had been doing tons of testing and changes to make motion sickness less.

• Dan_585 likes this

In7anity!!

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,046 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

I'm generally more excited about the augmented reality devices like the Hololens than the pure VR devices like the Rift, but anything Carmack has had his hands in is probably going to be pretty mind blowing once it's ready for prime time.  I wonder how any of these will work for dorks like me that wear glasses.

I like that too!

there is so much potential if they can get it right and not turn it into google glass

• HiBoost likes this

In7anity!!

Dan_585

Dan_585

Stage 4 Member

• 1,306 posts
  • Joined 30-August 15

True, I'll let you guys try it out first before i get one hahaha

Nodrip

Nodrip

Stage 3 Member

• 301 posts
  • Joined 05-June 14

You don't need the occulus to play iRacing. You could go triple screen, it's a decent way to get immersion!

Edited by Nodrip, 13 January 2016 - 10:10 PM.

• 7racer likes this

Let's meet on track : TrackWithMe

Youtube : Great Troll Racer

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,046 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

You don't need the occulus to play iRacing. You could go triple screen, it's a decent way to get immersion!

I have no room in my house!

In7anity!!

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,574 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
at over $600 I'll pass. maybe 300 tops. I just don't see many people buying it at those costs.

I'd really like to try it for a bit and see, its promising tech even tho I know I'd be one to get sick in it lol.

do they demo it anywhere yet so I can try it out?

VR_power

VR_power

Stage 4 Member

• 929 posts
  • Joined 05-January 15
I almost put the down payment for an oculus on the first day but then I decided I want to wait to see what the HTC Vive offers before I make my decision. The Vive specs will be available in February and it is rumored to have high specs then oculus.

I'm definitely getting either an oculus or Vive within the first few weeks/months of their release. I'll go with whichever offers a better VR experience.

Nodrip

Nodrip

Stage 3 Member

• 301 posts
  • Joined 05-June 14

I have no room in my house!

You don't need the full seat thing. Just a desk with 3x26"! Or put them on the wall.

VR_power

VR_power

Stage 4 Member

• 929 posts
  • Joined 05-January 15

You don't need the full seat thing. Just a desk with 3x26"! Or put them on the wall.

So your telling him to spend the same or more money then an oculus costs for a relatively crappy result? If you have tried an oculus you would know that comparing a multi monitor setup to an oculus is like comparing a minicooper to a gtr. Multi monitor setups are so 10 years ago when it comes to gaming. The state of the art has shifted.

2highpsi

2highpsi

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 843 posts
  • Joined 06-December 13
  • LocationCambridge, OH

I planned on picking one up, until I seen the release price.

IMO, I don't see any good reason to be an early adopter.  I will get one as soon as there is a deal to be had.

• ian.r likes this

2014 Deep Blue Pearl Track Edition GT-R Alpha 10  #80 of 160

Nodrip

Nodrip

Stage 3 Member

• 301 posts
  • Joined 05-June 14

So your telling him to spend the same or more money then an oculus costs for a relatively crappy result? If you have tried an oculus you would know that comparing a multi monitor setup to an oculus is like comparing a minicooper to a gtr. Multi monitor setups are so 10 years ago when it comes to gaming. The state of the art has shifted.

First, a triple screen is not that crappy, it's perfectly usable as most of sim-racers do.
Second, I'm not saying that it's THE solution, but an alternative. Again, you don't need an occulus to play iRacing.

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,046 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

the Oculus Rift is at an all time low with the controllers

anyone getting one?

surprised to see VR still languishing.  I would have thought it would have taken off by now.

https://www.amazon.c...1770316[b|deals

In7anity!!

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,368 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
No content is the problem

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,046 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

No content is the problem

is that the same for HTC Vive?

I guess the PS4 is better in regards to content but VR not as advanced?

In7anity!!

2highpsi

2highpsi

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 843 posts
  • Joined 06-December 13
  • LocationCambridge, OH

I ended up with PSVR instead.  

While the experience is cool, the tech is still far from perfected.

• 7racer likes this

2014 Deep Blue Pearl Track Edition GT-R Alpha 10  #80 of 160

haul s

haul s

Stage 4 Member

• 419 posts
  • Joined 18-October 14
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

surprised to see VR still languishing.  I would have thought it would have taken off by now.

Why? VR's "killer app" - and we ALL know what that is - needs tactile feedback for true immersion. Lacking that, I'm not surprised at all to see it languish. "Look, but don't touch" is a recipe for blue balls.
  • 7racer likes this

2014 Nissan GT-R Black Edition - haulin' ass!
sigpic71174_3.gif
---
2004 Audi B6 S4 Sedan MT6 - SOLD - OG ass hauler
Brilliant Red, Black/Silver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users