Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Interesting enough to post.....more BR Pro Catch Can information.

* * * * * 1 votes catch can fbo flex fuel cobb buschur racing coolant tank

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Jared@SFS

Jared@SFS

Stage 3 Member

• 383 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13
  • LocationAlpharetta Georgia

That just seems like a shocking result to me as it would seem to require *really* leaky rings to allow there to be such a measurable change by getting rid of only 0.6 psi of crankcase pressure. So this is why I keep probing the topic to find out if I'm missing something or what.

A healthy motor depending on direct application can have as much as 20% leak down and be considered healthy. So I don't know that I'd say they need to be really leaky. .6PSI is a lot of pressure when you consider a ideal scenario is vacuum in the crank case.

Actually I think we all missed a key point, David said he added timing. The reduced pressure is preventing excessive oil to get by, contaminated the fuel mixture, allowing the timing.

• thehelix112 and Buschur Racing like this

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,911 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOzarks
Check post 4, that's exactly what I said last night before everyone started talking about fuel trims lol.
  • Jared@SFS likes this
-Jeff

Buschur Racing

Buschur Racing

Stage 4 Member

• 2,360 posts
  • Joined 19-September 13
  • LocationWakeman, Ohio

I'm not a technical/educated enough guy to answer what you are asking for hiboost.  I know what I see from results of testing things and I go from there.  I can't explain some of it but I add it to my small brain as what works and what does not.  

My car was running 158.xx mph and I thought it was 100% tapped out.  It is now running 164.8 mph and I don't think it's tapped out.  No engine, cam, turbo, intake manifold or head changes.  It has been small stuff I've found experimenting with ideas.  Catch can, mid pipe, exhaust, turbo inlet placement.......each of those things showed me something on the dyno and even the combined total of everything hasn't added up to the WHP anyone would think it takes to gain 6+ mph in the 1/4 mile and yet, there the car is running those speeds.

I don't think you are calling bullshit on what I've posted.  What I've posted has been my observation twice now and it's consistent.

www.buschurracing.com

BR160 package, stock turbofolds, 8.33@168.68 mph, E80 fuel.
BR160 package, stock turbofolds, 8.74@160.08 mph, 93 octane.
Standing 1/2 mile 199.29 mph

COBB TUNING DEALER AND PRO TUNER

BUSCHUR RACING on FACEBOOK

BR SHOOTOUT on FACEBOOK

Buschur Racing

Buschur Racing

Stage 4 Member

• 2,360 posts
  • Joined 19-September 13
  • LocationWakeman, Ohio

A healthy motor depending on direct application can have as much as 20% leak down and be considered healthy. So I don't know that I'd say they need to be really leaky. .6PSI is a lot of pressure when you consider a ideal scenario is vacuum in the crank case.

Actually I think we all missed a key point, David said he added timing. The reduced pressure is preventing excessive oil to get by, contaminated the fuel mixture, allowing the timing.

Very agreed on all of this.

www.buschurracing.com

BR160 package, stock turbofolds, 8.33@168.68 mph, E80 fuel.
BR160 package, stock turbofolds, 8.74@160.08 mph, 93 octane.
Standing 1/2 mile 199.29 mph

COBB TUNING DEALER AND PRO TUNER

BUSCHUR RACING on FACEBOOK

BR SHOOTOUT on FACEBOOK

Jared@SFS

Jared@SFS

Stage 3 Member

• 383 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13
  • LocationAlpharetta Georgia

Check post 4, that's exactly what I said last night before everyone started talking about fuel trims lol.

I guess I missed that!

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,911 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOzarks

I'm not a technical/educated enough guy to answer what you are asking for hiboost.  I know what I see from results of testing things and I go from there.  I can't explain some of it but I add it to my small brain as what works and what does not.  

My car was running 158.xx mph and I thought it was 100% tapped out.  It is now running 164.8 mph and I don't think it's tapped out.  No engine, cam, turbo, intake manifold or head changes.  It has been small stuff I've found experimenting with ideas.  Catch can, mid pipe, exhaust, turbo inlet placement.......each of those things showed me something on the dyno and even the combined total of everything hasn't added up to the WHP anyone would think it takes to gain 6+ mph in the 1/4 mile and yet, there the car is running those speeds.

I don't think you are calling bullshit on what I've posted.  What I've posted has been my observation twice now and it's consistent.

Yeah I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum from calling bullshit. I'm taking your results as facts and trying to explain them. I'm a damn computer programmer, not a mechanical engineer, so I certainly don't have all the answers. I just find this stuff fascinating and I try to pick brains whenever I can. If you guys were doctors I'd be asking you medical questions. That's just the kind of annoying nerd I am!

One final comment on the topic at hand. I guess what I learned in all of this is that perhaps rings leak a lot more than I had previously thought. I've done leakdown tests before and I know that 10% isn't an alarming number, but that's in a "static" situation. I always looked at it like this: how much air will a tiny pinhole in a balloon let out? Well, it depends on the time given, doesn't it? If you let it sit there for a minute it will let all of it out. If you only consider 1/1000 of a second, then not very much. I assumed the piston rings were a similar concept. 10% "just sitting there" seems fine, but when moving at 7000 rpms there wasn't enough time for a significant amount to leak past, or so I thought. I guess I still find it hard to believe that the same 10% would get past the rings under load because wouldn't that *hugely* pressurize the crankcase? But anyway that's why I was thrown off by the results here, or more accurately, thrown off by the only theory I had to explain it. Seemed far fetched (the theory not the results). But again, on a good day I'm lucky to know 10% of what could actually be known about this topic. Thanks for the discussion!
  • Tim, 7racer and Jared@SFS like this
-Jeff

2highpsi

2highpsi

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 860 posts
  • Joined 06-December 13
  • LocationCambridge, OH

Good read!

I love threads like this :)

• Tim, ian.r, 7racer and 1 other like this

2014 Deep Blue Pearl Track Edition GT-R Alpha 7+  #80 of 160

JCR_GTR

JCR_GTR

Stage 1 Member

• 108 posts
  • Joined 12-December 14
  • LocationUK

POPULAR

Very interesting, let's get one on the JCR Demo GTR David
  • Tim, ian.r, elf_cruiser and 2 others like this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,891 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Good read!

I love threads like this :)

Agree
  • Tim likes this

In7anity!!

Autobacs

Autobacs

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 14-December 13

Yes I do like this thread too. Even more so because I have the PRO catch can myself :)

• Tim and Buschur Racing like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: catch can, fbo, flex fuel, cobb, buschur racing, coolant tank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users