I decided last minute on Friday to get the car ready to go and give it another shot. A week ago I ran the car and it shut off before it got to the end of the track, running an 8.62 at 139 mph. I felt leaving the ET/MPH like that left a lot of question in many minds if the time was legit or not and that's really the biggest reason I decided to go back to the track.
I was fighting a STFT issue on Bank 1. I had swapped 02 sensors out and thought that fixed it and was wrong. Friday I swapped in a fresh set of FIC2150's, started the car to check for leaks and that was it.
The first pass Saturday the car ran an 8.61 at only 158.47, 1.34 sixty foot. I checked the logs to find that the two banks were balanced now but the car was EXTREMELY rich. I had to pull over 10% out of the VE table with the new injectors to get back to close to where I wanted.
Weather was chilly and over cast with a lot of street cars running. It's hard to get a track to really bite in those conditions.
The next pass the 60' was only a 1.43 and the ET suffered, 8.8 at 159.02. The dynamic advance during a short dry burnout got pegged at -5 for some odd reason and it held that timing until almost the end of the track, that killed it.
I reviewed the logs, noticed that timing issue, changed the logging parameters I could see on the AP so I'd notice it if I looked after the burn out again and went back up.
I decided to skip cleaning off the tires and this always hurts me. There were three decently fast slick tired cars running in front of me and I was hoping to take advantage of them putting a little bit of rubber back down. Next pass without cleaning the tires off I had a 1.36 sixty foot and ran an 8.609 at 164.81 mph. Best ever MPH by about 3 mph and best ET by a little.
I looked at the incremental times and could see that running an 8.4x was quite possible, just needed another 1.28 sixty foot, hell maybe even a 1.30.
Back to the line, quick burnout, 1.35 sixty foot and then after 330' the car was pulling hard left, drifting and I lifted, my mind was flashing $100,000+, $100,000+ and decided I didn't wanna wreck! LMAO
I was a bit ticked off (which we all know doesn't take much) I hot lapped right back around and decided to try the right lane. Car left hard, 1.32 sixty foot, best of the day, then at about 70' out it took a good hard turn to the right spinning the rear tires hard.
I immediately assumed my ETS was burnt up, however there was no warning light, drove to the end of the track convinced myself I did pretty good and headed home.
Looking back on it now, I'm not sure if the track was just going away, like I said there was no AWD malfunction light. I'll have to get the car in here and check the ETS. My wife is on my ass to fix it and go back to try again to get the goal I've had all year of 8.4's. To be honest, I'm pretty content and don't see it happening.
The runs were done with our complete exhaust on the car, complete interior with our carbon fiber front seats. It's sits as it did at The Shootout and could be driven, comfortably and reliably across country. I have to say the GTR is the most amazing car I've ever owned or built, it's truly incredible what these fantastic machines are capable of and the reliability.
IF the ETS is damaged this will be the first part my car has hurt since I started. It's ran 8's like clock work since October of 2014. I won in Texas with it, won the Shootout, done cruises with it, test and tunes, track rentals and literally hundreds of dyno runs on it testing parts and ideas. I also ran the car at the Georgia 1/2 mile where it went 192 mph, back then best trap speed was 158. The car only has one map in it, the same one I race the car on in both the 1/4 and 1/2 mile.
The trans has been spectacular and I want to remind everyone it's a Jacks Transmission build we did here at our shop using 100% of their parts.
Boost was set at a peak of 34 psi, most of the run was 33 psi with a few points where it saw 34.
Peak IDC was 79%, car is using FIC2150's, BR fuel rails and a set of 485's in the tank with a hot wire kit we put together.
Runs were done on E80 from an IGA gas station in Norwalk.
I think it's time for the next round of mods at this point and go back at it next year. We came a long way in the last couple of months fine tuning and finding hidden horsepower along with getting the car to leave the line like it should.
I've been stock piling parts for the car for a few months too. We have a new piston design we had built by JE that I want to drop in, a new set of larger cams and of course Xona Rotor has made improvements to the turbos I am running now and I have a set of the latest and greatest that will be here this week. Also hoping to finally see the new wheels for the front of the car soon and I have M&H making new front DOT's for the car, I'm pretty sure he is going to be on board so all of us can benefit from the wheels/tires for the fronts next year.
The car is in dire need of a good alignment too, we changed some parts on the car experimenting with getting it to leave smooth and never aligned it again, it's hurting the performance for sure.