Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How to pass emissions test, Volkswagen style!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,580 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
Http://m.phys.org/news/2016-07-dealers-volkswagen-emissions-cheating-ready.html

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,156 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

I'm hoping to get the compensation like Tim1137 mentioned and not just a fix!!!! grrrr

In7anity!!

Tim1137

Tim1137

Stage 2 Member

• 223 posts
  • Joined 04-January 16
  • LocationSomerset MA

Bob you'll get to choose. 

You get $x,xxx dollars in compensation for the loss of value on the vehicle. 

THEN, you get to choose, either bring the vehicle to the dealer to "fix" (What year is your car, I can give you some insight on what the fix is), or you can have VW "buy back" your car, at a value that will be similar to the value the vehicle was prior to September of 2015, and with 1,000 miles less per month of time elapsed from the date of "buy back" to September 2015.  (For example if your car has 100,000 miles now and you turn it in now, your car will be valued at September 2015's KBB, with 89,000 miles on it)

FYI, dealers are sitting on 2015 model year TDI's, that are going to soon have MAJOR incentives since they'll be sitting side by side with 2017 model year TDI's for sale. They will be in limited supply though, so if your thinking of moving up into a "new" TDI, act fast on a 2015 at your local dealer for the best deal. They aren't ready to sell yet, but they will sell VERY quickly once the stop sale is lifted due to the incentives.

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,156 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

thanks.

Mine is a 2009 Sportwagen with 71000 miles.  Plan to just have them buy it back.  Sounds like it will be a good deal.  I also registered on that website so they have my info.

Keep me updated so I don't miss anything!

In7anity!!

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,580 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
http://www.forbes.co...s/#1c56c357834d

NickTO

NickTO

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,178 posts
  • Joined 29-December 12

Another VW/Audi cheat comes to light:

http://jalopnik.com/...addi-1788998406

DSG shift tables based on steering angle to lower emissions during test cycle.

• choerizo likes this

GT-R Heritage MAKES AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

NICK YOUR A FUNNY FUCKER DUDE  :D   - TIM 2015 & 2016.  2 Years Running!

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,642 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

Interesting. What I don't really get is why manufactures cannot just have an R-mode button (or ECO) to manually adjust the settings. I know on the GT-R, R-shifting holds it way higher RPMs than in normal/comfort settings. Same sort of concept but not considered cheating in this case.

NickTO

NickTO

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,178 posts
  • Joined 29-December 12

What you mention makes sense for a mode that "pollutes less"... unfortunately, it was being used the other way around to get around regulations and "pollute more"...  

Edited by NickTO, 15 November 2016 - 05:05 PM.

GT-R Heritage MAKES AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

NICK YOUR A FUNNY FUCKER DUDE  :D   - TIM 2015 & 2016.  2 Years Running!

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,850 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

So much work going into getting around tight emissions limits.  Some companies honour the spirit of the regulations, ie, air quality, and others well, dgaf.  Very sad to see.

Bring on the electric cars so this just isn't an issue anymore.

Dave

• 7racer likes this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,156 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

So much work going into getting around tight emissions limits. Some companies honour the spirit of the regulations, ie, air quality, and others well, dgaf. Very sad to see.

Bring on the electric cars so this just isn't an issue anymore.
Dave

I love my Tesla's a lot...but really would like to see a true electric sports car.

In7anity!!

KNOTZLA

KNOTZLA

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 355 posts
  • Joined 17-March 13

I love my Tesla's a lot...but really would like to see a true electric sports car.

Have you seen the Rimac Concept One? 1088hp ALL electric.

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,156 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13
Yes!!! But in a straight line...been following it but not sure how it does on a 20-30 mins track session

In7anity!!

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,642 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

http://www.detroitne...nced/108374880/

Talk about being made an example. 7 years in pound me in the ass prison.

"“Being arrested on the toilet of the airport in Miami by (eight) law enforcement officers and then being led to my wife in handcuffs was one of the most humiliating experiences of my life up until then,” he wrote in the letter to Cox. “This humiliation was surpassed by the public shaming that followed. My mugshot became the face of Dieselgate worldwide.”

• Tim likes this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,156 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

ouch!!

• Tim likes this

In7anity!!

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 8,647 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches

ouch!!

Ouch is right and with no lube
post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

Guido

Guido

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 112 posts
  • Joined 05-January 13

It seems like he is the scapegoat at this point.  Or was stupid to stay in the US and get caught.  It sounds like the others involved are in Germany and can't be extradited, which seems strange since the US and Germany have those treaties, at least I thought they did.

And it wasn't like he got rich off this either, so what a goof.  If you are going to do something like this, then make a shit ton of money at least and figure a way NOT to get caught.

• Tim likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users