Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How to pass emissions test, Volkswagen style!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

NickTO

NickTO

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,178 posts
  • Joined 29-December 12

Cheaters!

Too funny!

German carmaker Volkswagen has been ordered by US regulators to pull half a million cars because of a device that disguises pollution levels.

The "defect device" allows cars to pass lab testing even though they actually emit 40 times the emissions standard.
The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has been taking a more aggressive stance on car pollution and violations of the country's Clean Air Act.
The recall could cost the carmaker up to $18bn (£11.5bn).
It affects 2009-2014 Jettas, Bettels, Audi A3s and Golfs and 2014-2015 Passats.
"Using a defeat device in cars to evade clean air standards is illegal and a threat to public health," said Cynthia Giles, assistant administrator for the Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance.
The illegal system allowed cars to detect when they were undergoing smog emission test and lowered the rate of pollution. Those emission controls were then turned off during ordinary use.
The state of California which assisted in the investigation has also issued a notice of violation to Volkswagen.
In 2014 the EPA fined Korean automakers Hyundai Motor and Kia Motors $300m for misrepresenting the fuel economy in 1.2 million of their cars. That settlement is the highest so far, to date.

http://www.bbc.com/n...canada-34298259

• Tim, 7racer, aapedLus and 1 other like this

GT-R Heritage MAKES AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

NICK YOUR A FUNNY FUCKER DUDE  :D   - TIM 2015 & 2016.  2 Years Running!

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 8,647 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches

Manufactures cheating no way....lol 

post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,580 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
lol this is funny, especially cause its vw

well, let's hope they get it right next time. who's going to get the ax because of this?

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,903 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha
If they had a tune that could produce acceptable levels of emissions when it knew a check was underway I wonder why they didn't run it like that all the time. Would be curious to know what conditions this took place under as well (idle, cruise, moderate load). I count on the BBC to ask the hard questions, they really dropped the ball on this one.
-Jeff

NickTO

NickTO

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,178 posts
  • Joined 29-December 12
I'll venture an answer. Most smog tests are either idle & rev holding cycle in neutral, or 1 axle on roller.

The clean tune probably runs awful under load and has bas mileage.

So instead of fixing the engine they said fuckit, and just detect when there's an obd reader plugged in and scanning for readiness and change the map during the run.
  • icarus likes this

NickTO

NickTO

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,178 posts
  • Joined 29-December 12
Full details w explanation here:
http://yosemite.epa....3b!OpenDocument

100% details:
http://www.arb.ca.go...ance_letter.htm

The story is good in that letter... EPA and CARB told VW their 2.0l TDI was polluting, then they claimed to fix it, but used a cheater device instead... CARB used advance equipment to test on real load, real road, so the cheater device didn't work... When faced with the EPA report, they admitted the cheater box!!! Ahhaha

Edited by NickTO, 19 September 2015 - 06:01 AM.

• Tim and HiBoost like this

haul s

haul s

Stage 4 Member

• 422 posts
  • Joined 18-October 14
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
Sucks for the owners of the affected diesel vehicles... Conforming software would surely cripple the otherwise already lethargic performance.
  • 7racer likes this

2014 Nissan GT-R Black Edition - haulin' ass!
sigpic71174_3.gif
---
2004 Audi B6 S4 Sedan MT6 - SOLD - OG ass hauler
Brilliant Red, Black/Silver

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,850 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Lame. Fuck vw
  • icarus and shawnhayes like this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,742 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Lame. Fuck vw

Last VW my family owned was my brothers 1984 GTI.  And the last we'll ever own.  Horrible car on reliability.  Yes, a historic car, but own one for a while.

Well....unless you count my 1974 914.  I guess that really WAS a VW.

Shawn

• Tim likes this

thedak

thedak

Stage 3 Member

• 343 posts
  • Joined 18-August 15

I absolutely loved my 2010 VW Jetta TDi DSG.

23801528315_d24b4fb1e6.jpg

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,156 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Sucks for the owners of the affected diesel vehicles... Conforming software would surely cripple the otherwise already lethargic performance.

lol I have a VW TDI Sportwagen!!  

In7anity!!

Crissy

Crissy

Stage 1 Member

• 179 posts
  • Joined 18-August 15
After what GM swept under the rug and allowed to continue, is anything shocking in the automaker world? Periodically these deceits are exposed, and it seems that more and more companies are just as guilty as the last. Disappointing for the owners.

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13
next time I see your cheater ass wagon I'm taking a bat to it 7!
  • Tim, HiBoost and 7racer like this
2014 NISSAN GT-R
Racing Brake - HKS - GotBoost Performance - AMS

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,156 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

lol

In7anity!!

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,580 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
what about vw and its Audi lamans car that is diesel... praised about its super low tail pipe puke. was that a lie too or does that use a lamans cheater device too? or was that technology too expensive to equip to fit to a vw?

it's just funny to me. no hate for vw cars tho they have had excessive complaints from some owners.

anyways, gm and others like mentioned above all have issues too. just don't understand why they make these awesome decisions and how the hell do they make it to production and think no one will find out. is it cause they can just blame someone else? are the decisions makers coke heads? lol its just funny as hell.

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13
And it's not like 1 or 2 people making this bad and dishonest decision... it took executives, middle management, and engineers to implement! lol
  • 7racer likes this
2014 NISSAN GT-R

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13
If I had been part of that engineering group asked to design and implement the cheater device you can bet I would have dropped a dime on these aholes! If someone had done this then the handful of people who came up with this idea would have been stopped/demoted/canned, and the proper solution implemented, maybe still costing a lot of money, but hopefully not $18 billion, and saving a lot of embarassment.
  • Tim and 7racer like this
2014 NISSAN GT-R

NickTO

NickTO

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,178 posts
  • Joined 29-December 12

Yeah, this isn't one person in a basement.  It's an entire engineering group that 'dared' play with the emissions DTC cells, which is a big no no, so it had to be approved by middle & upper management.  There's certainly a sizeable group of engineers and managers without ethics at VW that knew exactly what they were doing.

Dirty VAG! :D

• Tim, ian.r and 7racer like this

haul s

haul s

Stage 4 Member

• 422 posts
  • Joined 18-October 14
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
I will probably get flamed for this, but I actually like VW's "solution" to CARB's draconian regulations - and I suspect it was developed to comply with the test conditions to the T. When the test called for certain emission levels A given environmental conditions X, Y, and Z, the code employed appropriate hardware to meet them, strictly for the conditions specified. ;)

Let those without sin cast the first stone... But you better not be running O2 "spacers" or mini-cats with your catless DPs. :P
  • Dv8 likes this

2014 Nissan GT-R Black Edition - haulin' ass!
sigpic71174_3.gif
---
2004 Audi B6 S4 Sedan MT6 - SOLD - OG ass hauler
Brilliant Red, Black/Silver

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13
for once, just this once, I get to not be a hypocrite. lol. oem downpipes all the way baby!!!! So crucify those VW bastards and... wait... oh shoot... does a non resonated midpipe make me a smog cheat too?
  • elf_cruiser likes this
2014 NISSAN GT-R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users