Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

discuss tips on buying a tuned/built gtr.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

OMG RB 26

OMG RB 26

Stage 4 Member

• 781 posts
  • Joined 07-May 14
  • LocationPeoria, IL

-make sure a well known gtr shop has worked on it.

Have to disagree partially on this one. I know this has nothing to do with me, but I'm considered an independent and am not really a well known shop

Just because a well known shop didn't build it - doesn't mean its going to fall apart. Plenty of guys (like myself) treat every car as if it was their own and allow no shortcuts. Not to mention, I work on many different platforms and have seen plenty of popular shops turn out some really shitty work I've had to correct. 

There is no magic formula for deducting whether or not a car is going to be a lemon. The things listed in your original post would be beneficial, but most of them are not terribly realistic to checkout before a purchase. A key thing think to think about is to not let your emotion get you all jacked up on the purchase. Keep it objective and perform your due-diligence. 

• OuLikeBlueGTRs, Dan_585 and danielTRLK like this

2009 GTR - Self Built 3.8, Elite Plus, Self Built Trans (1K equivalent) E85  etc

1/4 Mile - 8.8@164mph

1/2 Mile - 201mph

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,909 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha
Mic all the crank journals and make sure they match the stamped codes, if not the previous owner was surely using too much NOS and I'd bail on the sale
-Jeff

Tony1

Tony1

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 927 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12

Have to disagree partially on this one. I know this has nothing to do with me, but I'm considered an independent and am not really a well known shop

Just because a well known shop didn't build it - doesn't mean its going to fall apart. Plenty of guys (like myself) treat every car as if it was their own and allow no shortcuts. Not to mention, I work on many different platforms and have seen plenty of popular shops turn out some really shitty work I've had to correct. 

There is no magic formula for deducting whether or not a car is going to be a lemon. The things listed in your original post would be beneficial, but most of them are not terribly realistic to checkout before a purchase. A key thing think to think about is to not let your emotion get you all jacked up on the purchase. Keep it objective and perform your due-diligence. 

There's clearly no magic formula.   That said, no matter how good you want your car to be or how hard you try, you will never have what the bigger shops have learned from experience.  I have pallets of broken parts that fuel our engine program and we learn from every mistake, THAT takes experience. 

• Tim, 1SLOGTR and OuLikeBlueGTRs like this

T1racedevelopment.com

Injectordynamics.com

214-607-9022

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 374 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15

Most importantly, check the quality of the parts used.  Typically, people that skimp on parts do the same with maintenance and install quality.  Clearly not always the case but, generally, I think someone that is not afraid to invest in high quality has a stringer desire to care for that quality.

1000% agree. Also if you buy a car built exclusively at known places or known vendors, Like an AMS/Switzer shop  your libel to cut down on problems...

A "P800" car that someone hopped on Neils site and ordered parts so their buddy could install them isn't really a Switzer car in my op.

Honestly though I think the high builds you buy the better people have done I think its in the 600-1100whp range where you see people skimp trying to hit goals for less... When you're talking an AMS Alpha 12 or higher car, or any of those quality shops we all know who have blueprinted a serious path to making power over the years I think chances something is wrong is significantly decreased.

Also knowing the right questions to ask. John Shep is able to identify transmissions based on orders I'm sure he's not gonna give you addresses and statements but I'm sure if you called him up and said a guy selling me a car says my trans is 2.5 can you confirm that all work was done at _____ [insert shop] and John pulls it up and says sorry bud its a 1.5 lol

My best advice get a great deal from a  forum member who did it right and is apart of the community. Better to finance 10-20k and know it was done by David, Tony, Eric n AMS, or Neil than some half assed shop that has one dyno where they scored the number they were looking for.

There's clearly no magic formula.   That said, no matter how good you want your car to be or how hard you try, you will never have what the bigger shops have learned from experience.  I have pallets of broken parts that fuel our engine program and we learn from every mistake, THAT takes experience. 

I agree. I have a smaller shop doing my car and while I'm confident their is still a uniqueness to a small build that  AMS, Switzer, Tony, David, etc. have all been through lifting the platform. They know so well given the R&D and time in the platform what is exactly the right steps to make a car last, is there 10-20whp to add here or their based on packages or maybe skimp here and there of course or even do things different. But the indisputable fact is those major powerhouse programs have formulas to keep cars alive. There is a reason why you don't hear my T1700whp car blew a rod, or my Alpha 9 blew a rod or my p800 blew a rod... Because those shops having learned know exactly what to do at X power level.

They've essentially developed an amazing formula to follow, their are ways to save, are ways to make more power, are ways to do things different but the bottom line is a proven track record T`1 or AMS car for sale is a smarter bet at 10-20k more asking price than a local shop car making 100whp more, unless you can source the parts....

Now the big shops aren't immune from problems they've just been able to reduce risk through trial and error and R&D.

Edited by OuLikeBlueGTRs, 19 September 2015 - 07:35 AM.

• Tim likes this

Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,711 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
I would definitely get a complete mod list and ask for invoices for said mods, especially the ones that you can't see (like if it has a gear set...). I've seen at least two cars come through here over the years with invisible mods.
  • GTR272 likes this

Doug Ross
Owner of Weapons Grade Performance
-Northeast/Pacific Northwest Shops where we ONLY work on GT-Rs
-Owner/Builder of the 1st Ever Home Garage GT-R Drivetrain Removal
Cobb Protuner / EcuTek Tuner
-All Wheel Drive Mustang Dyno in House
doug@weaponsgradeperformance.com
Our Online Store
East Coast Location 226 N. Plains Industrial Rd, Wallingford CT 06492 203-668-4765

GTR272

GTR272

Stock

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Joined 13-August 15

I got invoices on mine and was at a shop that's on these boards...

It said I had Tomei cams and there were stock cams in car when taken apart. He said how do I know you didn't switch them trying to get money out of him...

I hope it has the shep 2.5 like he says..... Anyone know if shep put a label on them for identification?

• Tim likes this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,113 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches

Yes Shep generally does..I would send him a E-mail

post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

gutdoc

gutdoc

Stock

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 04-May 17

For me, buying a tuned/FBO/built car would be almost as costly as starting from scratch, as I would want to check everything and wonder what abuse the car had seen.

I have found the smaller shops to be both cheaper and more honest than the big-brand ones.  They might both do great work. And, you are going to get a lot more attention doing a $50,000 build than a $5000. Understandably. 

tg07

tg07

Stage 2 Member

• 248 posts
  • Joined 02-November 16
  • LocationWisconsin

For me, buying a tuned/FBO/built car would be almost as costly as starting from scratch, as I would want to check everything and wonder what abuse the car had seen.

I have found the smaller shops to be both cheaper and more honest than the big-brand ones.  They might both do great work. And, you are going to get a lot more attention doing a $50,000 build than a $5000. Understandably. 

How would it be almost as costly?  Have the seller provide invoices for the work, call the shop, drive the car, and have another good shop do a pre-purchase inspection (including driving/logging/review).

Alpha 7

gutdoc

gutdoc

Stock

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 04-May 17

Assuming the seller has a good rep, I live near a shop, trust that shop, and am prepared to say "no one's fault" for the problem that likely comes up in a few months, I could save some money.  How to get an invoice from a secretive shop who just lists "custom SS midpipe $450"?

Choosing components is part of the fun, which adds value I guess. I would also be wondering how many french fries hiding under the seat, mice on the wire harness last winter, how much boost with cold engine, etc. I am thinking of lower end builds here. If I am planning a full rebuild on day one, then I get your point, no reason to buy a 2017 when a 14 is available. 

• Enshiu likes this

Enshiu

Enshiu

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 315 posts
  • Joined 01-January 13
  • LocationNL,UK,JP

If it doesn't drive good at warm op. temp just go away. I always try to buy mine cars standard to avoid costly traps even I can fix it by my self.

Been working with enshiu on my car for the past 2 days. This guy is a mad scientist. He knows his stuff about GT-Rs. We spent the past few days changing brakes, rotors and upgrading my  gotboost full intercooler piping. Enshiu will post pics of my car later.

My project:

http://www.gtrherita...-600whp-upgrade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users