Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help with broken turbo stud

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
i thought Cobb Tuning has a location in SoCal and I'm sure there is more in cali

haul s

haul s

Stage 4 Member

• 451 posts
  • Joined 18-October 14
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

This is why we lower the engine down to do downpipes. Allows access to drill them out

How much overhead in terms of time / labor would lowering the engine for a DP install add vs. taking your chances and doing it w/o touching the engine?

2014 Nissan GT-R Black Edition - haulin' ass!
sigpic71174_3.gif
---
2004 Audi B6 S4 Sedan MT6 - SOLD - OG ass hauler
Brilliant Red, Black/Silver

Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,682 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
We charge 4 hours to do a set of downpipes our way, cautioning the customer that if a stud breaks, that becomes 10 hours.

Typically we remove the bell housing vibration isolator and tilt the motor down to gain a better angle on the bolts if we're not lowering it down. We try to do Inlets with downpipes so lowering it down doesn't take that much longer.

You can watch the mechanic view realtime video of a downpipe install on my YouTube page @Bullitt2496
  • 7racer likes this

Doug Ross
Owner of Weapons Grade Performance
-Northeast/Pacific Northwest Shops where we ONLY work on GT-Rs
-Owner/Builder of the 1st Ever Home Garage GT-R Drivetrain Removal
Cobb Protuner / EcuTek Tuner
-All Wheel Drive Mustang Dyno in House
doug@weaponsgradeperformance.com
Our Online Store
East Coast Location 226 N. Plains Industrial Rd, Wallingford CT 06492 203-668-4765

Pakker

Pakker

Stock

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Joined 17-September 15
Hey guys. Here is a picture of the broken stud. Its actually on the middle left of the passenger side. Its at the dealer right now and my tech is trying to change it. 7ab3c5cb5d59248380f11a837cd4d1ce.jpg

Hopefully all goes well.
  • Tim and thehelix112 like this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,849 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
HG Motorsports just N of San Diego. Top quality shop and they have a certified GT-R tech in house. Jon Wemigwams ?sp?

Be careful though because you'll leave there wanting an E85 conversion, turbo upgrade, and one of their awesome wheel packages.

Cheers!
  • forty-two likes this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

Pakker

Pakker

Stock

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Joined 17-September 15

HG Motorsports just N of San Diego. Top quality shop and they have a certified GT-R tech in house. Jon Wemigwams ?sp?

Be careful though because you'll leave there wanting an E85 conversion, turbo upgrade, and one of their awesome wheel packages.

Cheers!

Yeah I was actually just a delicious tuning a few days ago and talked to bill who also tunes at HG. Great people but its pretty far since I live a little north of LA.

SP charges an arm and a leg and are usually backed up but ill give them a call if my tech cant fix it.
  • elf_cruiser likes this

Jared@SFS

Jared@SFS

Stage 3 Member

• Vendors
  • 362 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13
  • LocationAlpharetta Georgia

That is one of the easier studs to get to, they should have been able to have done that for you. High quality bits are a must as the stud is rough!

OMG RB 26

OMG RB 26

Stage 4 Member

• 781 posts
  • Joined 07-May 14
  • LocationPeoria, IL

That is one of the easier studs to get to, they should have been able to have done that for you. High quality bits are a must as the stud is rough!

Those MF'ers are hardened as shit. They even laugh at my carbide die grinder bits

• Jared@SFS likes this

2009 GTR - Self Built 3.8, Elite Plus, Self Built Trans (1K equivalent) E85  etc

1/4 Mile - 8.8@164mph

1/2 Mile - 201mph

Pakker

Pakker

Stock

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Joined 17-September 15

POPULAR

Just wanted to let you guys know my tech at the dealership was able to fix it. He took off the drive shaft and had enough space to drill out the stud.

They just charged me parts and 2 hours of labor! :)
  • Tim, ian.r, HiBoost and 2 others like this

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,909 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha
Seems very fair, glad you got it fixed!
  • shawnhayes likes this
-Jeff

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
that's awesome! I thought the dealership was going to rape you on labor, glad they were very fair to you! what dealership did you goto?

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• 1,058 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14
Does anyone know the size of the studs? My stock turbos are sold, and I'm shipping them w/o the studs. I measured the thread pitch and it's 1.25. Just don't know if it's 10x1.25 or 12x1.25. Mine aren't stuck, but need to remove them. I usually use two nuts and tighten them against each other and put a wrench on the inside nut and then crank. Once I get the size, I'll go get some hardened nuts and pull those puppies off.

M10x1.25 except this guy ....7fceff10599244a71672ea2b7fb93047.jpg

Edited by awdtt, 31 January 2016 - 01:24 PM.

2015 BE Frankenmotor

Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,682 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
they're combination studs with the manifold side being M10x1.5 and the downpipe being M10x1.25.

Doug Ross
Owner of Weapons Grade Performance
-Northeast/Pacific Northwest Shops where we ONLY work on GT-Rs
-Owner/Builder of the 1st Ever Home Garage GT-R Drivetrain Removal
Cobb Protuner / EcuTek Tuner
-All Wheel Drive Mustang Dyno in House
doug@weaponsgradeperformance.com
Our Online Store
East Coast Location 226 N. Plains Industrial Rd, Wallingford CT 06492 203-668-4765

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• 1,058 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14
What a disaster. After two Home Depot runs, I found two M10x1.25 nuts. But not hardened. 2 studs came right out, using the old school approach. The other stud, well my son benches 320 and I do over 200. We put a breaker bar on that stud and pulling together, succeeded in stripping the threads on the inside nut. Now, we can't even take that nut off, lol. And then there's the weird stud with a unknown pattern in the picture. Hate to stick the new owner with this, but we tried.

2015 BE Frankenmotor

spaggiari

spaggiari

Stock

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Joined 07-November 15

Yperion Titanium m12x1.25 if required  https://i.pinimg.com...3f734432aea.jpg

Enshiu

Enshiu

Stage 2.5 Member

• OEM Member
  • 284 posts
  • Joined 01-January 13
  • LocationNL,UK,JP

Never but, Never use an impact wrench. Just use normal tools. Never broke one on mine or any gtrs so far serviced. If it strips there are helicoils or special repair kits.

Edited by Enshiu, 25 March 2018 - 06:17 AM.

Been working with enshiu on my car for the past 2 days. This guy is a mad scientist. He knows his stuff about GT-Rs. We spent the past few days changing brakes, rotors and upgrading my  gotboost full intercooler piping. Enshiu will post pics of my car later.

My project:

http://www.gtrherita...-600whp-upgrade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users