Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help with broken turbo stud

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Pakker

Pakker

Stock

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Joined 17-September 15
Hi everyone

I just had a pair of catless downpipes installed on my 15 GTR and during the process, the shop broke 1 of the 10 studs that attach the Tubro to the downpipes.

My question is, what can be done to fix this issue and what are the effects of running 4 bolts instead of 5? Is it safe to run with just 4 bolts? The shop that installed it had experience with installing DPs.

The stud that broke was the right most one from the passenger side so only 4 of these nuts are holding the DP to the Turbo.

cjb08

cjb08

Stage 2 Member

• 206 posts
  • Joined 12-April 14
Not sure about running only 4 on that side, but I'm sure people have had to do it. As tight as it is in there I see no way that you will be able to fix/drill out that stud without dropping the motor.

Jared@SFS

Jared@SFS

Stage 3 Member

• Vendors
  • 361 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13
  • LocationAlpharetta Georgia

You will develop a leak with only 4 studs holding. I do not know of any way to drill that stud out in car. Perhaps a right angle drill and a super short bit, but I've had trouble with mine in some of those spaces. We are looking into a gasket that would help in this situation, but it still is only a temporary fix before you have to pull the engine to fix it properly.

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,091 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
Three of my studs broke and STM got them out. I'm sure the builders on here will comment.
GTX3582R built and tuned by STM, AMS 4.1, Omega billet crank, Alpha Cams, STM DP, MP, 4 STM Titanium custom exhaust, STM Race FMIC 22x18x4.5, full 3" piping, ID 2000, Sheptrans OneK drop gears, DS axles, E85, Advan GT 10/12 285/315 R888 / MT ET 18x10/12 TE37 Saga MT ET SS 275/245.
Heartbreaker Mustang 1186 E70 low boost. Dynojet 1350 +/- 60-130 3.5 seconds. 100-150 3.4 seconds.

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,909 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha

My question is, what can be done to fix this issue and what are the effects of running 4 bolts instead of 5? Is it safe to run with just 4 bolts? The shop that installed it had experience with installing DPs.

Just to reiterate, using only 4 studs should not be an option. I hope that was your idea and not the shop's because I'd be wary of any shop recommending such hacks...
  • Autobacs likes this
-Jeff

Pakker

Pakker

Stock

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Joined 17-September 15
Well they checked for leaks and it seemed good and No CEL. I have a cobb ap would there be any parameters i should monitor?

But i do want to get it fixed without dropping the engine. Since its not the top one stud (hardest to reach) it should be doable right?

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,091 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
Definitely can be done without dropping engine. Common issue even with a bunch of PB Blastser
GTX3582R built and tuned by STM, AMS 4.1, Omega billet crank, Alpha Cams, STM DP, MP, 4 STM Titanium custom exhaust, STM Race FMIC 22x18x4.5, full 3" piping, ID 2000, Sheptrans OneK drop gears, DS axles, E85, Advan GT 10/12 285/315 R888 / MT ET 18x10/12 TE37 Saga MT ET SS 275/245.
Heartbreaker Mustang 1186 E70 low boost. Dynojet 1350 +/- 60-130 3.5 seconds. 100-150 3.4 seconds.

Pakker

Pakker

Stock

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Joined 17-September 15

Definitely can be done without dropping engine. Common issue even with a bunch of PB Blastser

Thats good to hear.

What are the adverse affects of an exhaust leak anyway?

Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,680 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
This is why we lower the engine down to do downpipes. Allows access to drill them out

Doug Ross
Owner of Weapons Grade Performance
-Northeast/Pacific Northwest Shops where we ONLY work on GT-Rs
-Owner/Builder of the 1st Ever Home Garage GT-R Drivetrain Removal
Cobb Protuner / EcuTek Tuner
-All Wheel Drive Mustang Dyno in House
doug@weaponsgradeperformance.com
Our Online Store
East Coast Location 226 N. Plains Industrial Rd, Wallingford CT 06492 203-668-4765

2highpsi

2highpsi

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 857 posts
  • Joined 06-December 13
  • LocationCambridge, OH

Well they checked for leaks and it seemed good and No CEL. 

:huh:

Wait a minute.... you paid a shop to install downpipes... THEY broke a stud... and you were ok with them just using 4 studs since you didn't get a CEL?

• Tim and OuLikeBlueGTRs like this

2014 Deep Blue Pearl Track Edition GT-R Alpha 10  #80 of 160

Pakker

Pakker

Stock

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Joined 17-September 15

Wait a minute.... you paid a shop to install downpipes... THEY broke a stud... and you were ok with them just using 4 studs since you didn't get a CEL?

Yup. Aint leaving my car there overnight and they dont have the tools and a replacement stud since i think our studs have different thread pitch each side.

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
what shop?

2highpsi

2highpsi

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 857 posts
  • Joined 06-December 13
  • LocationCambridge, OH

POPULAR

Yup. Aint leaving my car there overnight and they dont have the tools and a replacement stud since i think our studs have different thread pitch each side.

Personally, I would tell them that I got 99 problems but a broken stud ain't gonna be one.

Either they need to source the tools and stud and remedy the situation in house, or tell you where you can get it fixed properly on their dime.

• Tim, Autobacs, droptopp and 2 others like this

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 371 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15

Personally, I would tell them that I got 99 problems but a broken stud ain't gonna be one.

Either they need to source the tools and stud and remedy the situation in house, or tell you where you can get it fixed properly on their dime.

Exactly lol

Autobacs

Autobacs

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 14-December 13

Which just says that you must choose the shop that work on your GTR specifically for the equipment and experience that can adequately remedy issues like this.

Which is why other than the local Nissan GTR dealer, only two other shops (English racing and Jacks) have worked on my car.

Jared@SFS

Jared@SFS

Stage 3 Member

• Vendors
  • 361 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13

I think it's a bit much to ask a shop to pay for a stud. You can do everything right. Soak with the best penetrates on earth, and still have one break. I've had a engine on a bench and have a stud fail. The material types can gall and bind on the stud. This has nothing to do with the work process of the shop.

It goes along the same path of sometimes the A/F sensors are stuck in the down pipes and can not be transferred over. Nothing the shop can do will change this. We take the steps that we can to reduce the chance of it happening, but they do not stick by neglect of the employees.

I'm also speaking about our shop, and our guys. I've got no idea if this place actually took steps for it not to have an issue. In all the down pipes we have done, only 3 studs have ever broken. I also tell customers up front that it is a real possibility that it could break, despite us doing everything right.

• Tim likes this

2highpsi

2highpsi

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 857 posts
  • Joined 06-December 13
  • LocationCambridge, OH

I'm usually on the shop's side Jared.  99% of the time I feel like customers are unrealistic and ask shops for WAY too much.

This is however an instance where we will just have to agree to disagree.  

I don't feel like a business should take money for a job they are not capable of handling.  I don't fault them for having a stud break.. as you said, that happens.  I fault them for sending a customer out on 4 studs, like there is nothing wrong with that.   It seems like their answer to that is "they don't have the tools or parts to remedy the situation", which brings me back to being upset for them taking money for a job they shouldn't have done.

Edited by 2highpsi, 17 September 2015 - 12:42 PM.

• Autobacs likes this

Pakker

Pakker

Stock

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Joined 17-September 15
Yeah. It was promax in CA. I was wary of having it done at a shop that have done it before and they have done it a few time and also on the owner's own GTR.

The highend shops are usually back logged to on their schedule and I only had that day off to do it so I went and pulled the trigger. Still disappointed that they couldn't fix the issue though.

I understand a stud can break but if they told me they couldnt fix it they did break a stud then i wouldve taken it elsewhere.
  • thehelix112 likes this

Jared@SFS

Jared@SFS

Stage 3 Member

• Vendors
  • 361 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13

I'm usually on the shop's side Jared.  99% of the time I feel like customers are unrealistic and ask shops for WAY too much.

This is however an instance where we will just have to agree to disagree.  

I don't feel like a business should take money for a job they are not capable of handling.  I don't fault them for having a stud break.. as you said, that happens.  I fault them for sending a customer out on 4 studs, like there is nothing wrong with that.   It seems like their answer to that is "they don't have the tools or parts to remedy the situation", which brings me back to being upset for them taking money for a job they shouldn't have done.

That's why I added in I'm not sure of how they did it. I have a very small right angle drill that lets me get to everything if I need to. The top left of the drivers turbo is the one that makes you say special words. It is a nightmare. I can see now how your suggestion of having them pay makes more sense. Now Pakker needs to pay someone to remove the down pipes again, and address the stud. We have the customers pay if a stud breaks. We do everything we can to prevent it, but they are only paying a small increase for a stud, not repaying to redo the entire job again.

• ian.r, 2highpsi and haul s like this

Pakker

Pakker

Stock

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Joined 17-September 15
So any one know I place in SoCal that can help me get this fixed? This is getting really stressful :(

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Pakker, 17 September 2015 - 04:39 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users