Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

About To Start A Build Project On Your GTR ? here are some tips

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Xsuil

Xsuil

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 357 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

POPULAR

I know lofs of people go through some drama and delays when doing a build project and even though some time that's not avoidable here is some tips that could help you go through your project as smooth as possible .

Tips and advice from our Community :

1- Make a complete list of every single mod your going to need ( including OEM Gaskets / Bearings / Cam Seats / Etc.. )

2- Try to order most of the parts that you need by yourself directly from the manufactorer ( some mods such as Pistons/Rods/Studs don't have that great of a discount margin on them ) so you won't be saving that much from buying them from a vendor .

3- DO YOUR RESEARCH AND KEEP DOING IT : when it comes to some mods such as stock manifolds turbos lots of them seem to have reliability and performance issues .

4- Never send your car to the shop before having every single part that you need is right there ready for your car .

5- DOING A BUILT INTERNALS BLOCK ? : BUY NEW CORES ( or used ones if you are sure they are in perfect condition ) and send them over to be built at the shop of your choice , This might be a bit costy at the start but to me it's worth it to avoid down time with the car ( you might be able to sell your cores once your new block is dropped in your car )

6- ALWAYS have the shop that built your car tunes it too ( warranty and avoiding drama once anything happen )

7- don't be a cheap bastard when it comes to installing a fuel system , take the car to a proper shop for a job like that .

I'm running out of thoughts right now , hopefully you guys can chime in and i'll update the thread later .

Edited by Xsuil, 18 August 2015 - 02:37 PM.

• Tim, ian.r, changster and 3 others like this

rCfhnEM.jpg

Phase 1 : 

- Topspeed Motorsports 4.0 Engine .
- ETS HTA 3794 Turbo Kit .
- 1460 HP @ 38 PSI
- 1100 HP @ 25 PSI

Phase 2 :
- Topspeed Motorsports 4.1 Engine .
- ETS Little Hero Super99 Turbo Kit .
- 1500+ HP @ 40 PSI
- 1000  HP @ 21 PSI

Phase 3 : In Progress 
- T1 Race Development 3.8 Engine .

- DMS Custom Forward Facing Turbo Kit.

Doug3226

Doug3226

Heritage MVP

• OEM Member
  • 948 posts
  • Joined 25-December 12
  • LocationOhio

I agree with most of your list, although I somewhat disagree with number 2.

I personally think your better off letting the shop supply and install the components they are most comfortable with, Just imagine they install your gaskets and you have leak issues, you leave the shop an easy out..."Well that's not the gaskets we use, you chose to supply them and we just installed them, we can take them out and install ours for xxxx" 

I don't want to micro-manage the shop too much, sure it may cost a little more but you made mention of not being a cheap bastard...I think drop shipping them your parts is a bad idea.(It's ok for them to make some money off parts as long as your not being gouged.) 

I do agree with not dropping off your car until the shop has all the parts on hand and the shop is ready to work on it....nothing more frustrating than dropping off a running car for it to just sit in a shop for a month or longer. 

• Ancalagon likes this

Tony1

Tony1

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 954 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12

POPULAR

I think you'll find that a lot of established shops won't do a build with customer supplied parts. There are always exceptions but for the most part, if we do a build we supply the parts. I'm going to stand behind everything I do and the last thing anyone wants is a blame game when it comes to problems and who's responsible. On top of that we have found some parts to work better than others and that's what we use. I will not compromise a build using parts I've found to be inferior just because a customer supplied them.

There's not a ton of margin on parts in this business. Let the shop doing the build make a couple bucks on the parts on it and stand behind the job 100%.
  • Tim, ALPHA Performance, Doug3226 and 4 others like this

T1racedevelopment.com

Injectordynamics.com

214-607-9022

Xsuil

Xsuil

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 357 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

Xsuil, you got problems with your build?

Nop , waiting for Rob to come over to Kuwait to get it tuned , he doesnt like the idea of E-Tuning a 2000 HP Car lol .
  • Tim likes this

rCfhnEM.jpg

Phase 1 : 

- 1460 HP @ 38 PSI
- 1100 HP @ 25 PSI

Phase 2 :
- 1500+ HP @ 40 PSI
- 1000  HP @ 21 PSI

Xsuil

Xsuil

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 357 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

I agree with most of your list, although I somewhat disagree with number 2.

I personally think your better off letting the shop supply and install the components they are most comfortable with, Just imagine they install your gaskets and you have leak issues, you leave the shop an easy out..."Well that's not the gaskets we use, you chose to supply them and we just installed them, we can take them out and install ours for xxxx"

I don't want to micro-manage the shop too much, sure it may cost a little more but you made mention of not being a cheap bastard...I think drop shipping them your parts is a bad idea.(It's ok for them to make some money off parts as long as your not being gouged.)

I do agree with not dropping off your car until the shop has all the parts on hand and the shop is ready to work on it....nothing more frustrating than dropping off a running car for it to just sit in a shop for a month or longer.

That's true Actually very true ,
i guess we can say you should only order approved parts by the shop who's handling your build .

The ordering the parts yourself is just incase you are worried about your payments going through " cycling " by the shop whos doing your build .
  • Tim and Doug3226 like this

rCfhnEM.jpg

Phase 1 : 

- 1460 HP @ 38 PSI
- 1100 HP @ 25 PSI

Phase 2 :
- 1500+ HP @ 40 PSI
- 1000  HP @ 21 PSI

Xsuil

Xsuil

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 357 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

I think you'll find that a lot of established shops won't do a build with customer supplied parts. There are always exceptions but for the most part, if we do a build we supply the parts. I'm going to stand behind everything I do and the last thing anyone wants is a blame game when it comes to problems and who's responsible. On top of that we have found some parts to work better than others and that's what we use. I will not compromise a build using parts I've found to be inferior just because a customer supplied them.

There's not a ton of margin on parts in this business. Let the shop doing the build make a couple bucks on the parts on it and stand behind the job 100%.

that's the best way to do a build actually .

Here in the middle east things are a bit different , most shops would accept builds with your supplied parts .

Edited by Xsuil, 19 August 2015 - 01:13 AM.

rCfhnEM.jpg

Phase 1 : 

- 1460 HP @ 38 PSI
- 1100 HP @ 25 PSI

Phase 2 :
- 1500+ HP @ 40 PSI
- 1000  HP @ 21 PSI