Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2-4 weeks turned into 8 weeks and counting

- - - - - build power whp

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

GTR272

GTR272

Stock

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Joined 13-August 15

I would not put them on if I where you, just sell them and get Alpha 9s, SiR USMs etc. 

I wish I could.. Im over tapped now... I got the car for my kid...Last car was a 900rwhp ZR1 and got the GTR cause its an auto. He got hit in the leg by a sniper in Afghanistan..

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread

Edited by GTR272, 14 August 2015 - 01:32 PM.

• 7racer likes this

ALPHA Performance

ALPHA Performance

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,708 posts
  • Joined 18-December 12

I think Isaac was using a bit of hyperbole here but I have to say after modding cars for 20 years and dealing with all levels of markets (from bottom feeder Mustang shops to high end exotic shops) - he's not that far off, on average, in general. AMS says they keep a ton of stuff in stock and I believe them. But they are also a manufacturer so it's not 100% apples to apples. Not every shop makes their own parts. And I'd have to wager that AMS does not require all their dealers to stock all their kits.  And for builds that require custom fab, that's by definition never going to be in stock and always going to be time consuming.  A hand built Ti catback for a BRZ can take as many hours of labor as building an entire A12 using off the shelf parts.  Fab vs install are totally different ballparks.

Let's be honest for second.  Most shops suck.  Just a fact.  There are no standards or certifications that exist to open a shop.  It's not like being a doctor or lawyer or accountant or engineer or any of the other professions that society depends on and pays dearly for.  But I think by default people just have some vague assumption that "hey, these guys have shop man, they must be legit, right?"  WRONG.  WRONG AS F&&K.  Wrong 100 times for every right.  Hell, even if, and man that is a BIG if, your shop has competent mechanical/technical staff, that in no way implies or assures that you can run a business.  And if you can't stick to a schedule and keep your finances in order, no amount of tuning and building is going to keep you on the right track.

Now is any of this directed at the regulars here on Heritage?  Nope.  I really believe you guys are the cream of the crop and I'm all for you pointing out the ways that Isaac's general complaints don't apply to you.  But more than likely, even the best of you, at one time or another, has fallen into at least one of these pitfalls.  And if that's caused you to change your methods to eliminate that from happening in the future then that is very commendable.  But you also must recognize how many other shops out there do these same things over and over.  To where it can't be explained as an unfortunate series of events and must be labeled as systemic.  

I wish I could like your second paragraph 100 times.

• Tim, Evolunchbox and OuLikeBlueGTRs like this

Ty Curtin

ty@amsperformance.com 

World's First Nissan R35 GT-R in the 9's, 8's 7's AND THE 6's!!!!!!!

Alpha Queen - 6.87 @ 216 mph

Alpha G 6.93 @ 196 | Alpha 22 (Prime Cuts) 7.06 @ 206 | Alpha 22 (CMC) 7.32 @ 184 | Alpha Omega 7.48 @ 193 | Alpha W (a10x) 7.56 @ 189 | Alpha X (Curtis) 7.66 @ 187 

ALPHA Performance

ALPHA Performance

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,708 posts
  • Joined 18-December 12

POPULAR

Yes, this exactly. I know I used the word NEVER, but of course I'm just making a point. 

Go build an Alpha 12 and you'll see. Oh oops, Bryant crank no stock. Oh, intake manifold no stock. Oh, DSS Axles is a 3 week wait. Oh, those nice cams no stock. etc etc. 

I'm not trying to come off like I expect things to be like trying to go out and buy an iPhone. I'm just making a point in that you are dealing with small businesses with limited resources and capacity. Expect delays. Expect one off's to cost a lot. But it in the end, it really is FUN. The power is UNREAL. You just have to understand and set expectations that are MUCH WORSE expectations than what shops and vendors tell you. Then in your mind you'll be happy when shops beat those low expectations. 

You think a salesperson at a shop is going to tell you, hey man sorry but that Bryant crank takes 3 months to get.  No, they will say hey the wait for the crank could be 6 weeks, but that's perfect we can do all the other stuff first and put that crank in at the end.  

One recent example for me...  I order an XXXXX brand dry sump kit with mechanical pump. The guy says YES IT'S IN STOCK. I pay cash. That was like 2+ months ago. Oh look, it just shipped this week. They shouldn't blatantly lie, no, but I just laugh it off because I just expect it now. Think about it... how many people order mechanical fuel pumps and dry sump kits for the R35? 3 in this entire world? It's only for freaks like me. Are they really going to keep 10 of these in stock? Also, they said the dry sump + mechanical pump will fit without problems to the AC, PS, and stock location turbo kit. BUT, in my mind I'm already thinking there will be problems and that there will have to be one off stuff that is needed to make it work. 

I guess we do things differently but we wont take that car in UNTIL we have those parts Isaac. Also if there is a long wait we are going to tell you. We learned a long time ago that we would rather potentially lose the job from being honest about the delay than having a customer super upset. I am sure we have lost money in the short term but I would like to think long term the word of mouth and happy customer makes up for it.

I will say adding parts after the fact can indeed cloud things up and mess up the timelines. BUT if we know ahead of time what you want we make it a point to have it here.

Eric

• Tim, changster, OuLikeBlueGTRs and 2 others like this

Ty Curtin

ty@amsperformance.com 

Alpha G 6.93 @ 196 | Alpha 22 (Prime Cuts) 7.06 @ 206 | Alpha 22 (CMC) 7.32 @ 184 | Alpha Omega 7.48 @ 193 | Alpha W (a10x) 7.56 @ 189 | Alpha X (Curtis) 7.66 @ 187 

GTR272

GTR272

Stock

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Joined 13-August 15

I guess we do things differently but we wont take that car in UNTIL we have those parts Isaac. Also if there is a long wait we are going to tell you. We learned a long time ago that we would rather potentially lose the job from being honest about the delay than having a customer super upset. I am sure we have lost money in the short term but I would like to think long term the word of mouth and happy customer makes up for it.

I will say adding parts after the fact can indeed cloud things up and mess up the timelines. BUT if we know ahead of time what you want we make it a point to have it here.

Eric

Eric I almost brought it to you guys...We ended up getting your oil cooler setup....  Im  10 minutes from you guys

ALPHA Performance

ALPHA Performance

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,708 posts
  • Joined 18-December 12

Did our timeline deter you?

Ty Curtin

ty@amsperformance.com 

Doug3226

Doug3226

Heritage MVP

• OEM Member
  • 948 posts
  • Joined 25-December 12
  • LocationOhio

Eric I almost brought it to you guys...We ended up getting your oil cooler setup....  Im  10 minutes from you guys

Well Damn.....I traveled 6 hours one way and paid through the nose for tolls to take my car to AMS.

But it sounds like your situation sucks GTR272....hopefully you get it all worked out. 

• Tim, ALPHA Performance and jima like this

GTR272

GTR272

Stock

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Joined 13-August 15

Did our timeline deter you?

No..

Shoot me a pm on a price for a tune for 93 and flex.

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago

As far as I know no, is not really the turbos fault is whoever does the machine work for them that doesn't do a very good job at it.

dang I keep hearing how they break, you would think they know and want to stop selling them or make them better. sucks for all parties involved.

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 376 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15

I wish I could.. Im over tapped now... I got the car for my kid...Last car was a 900rwhp ZR1 and got the GTR cause its an auto. He got hit in the leg by a sniper in Afghanistan..

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread

No problem shoot the shit Idc where it goes haha and sorry to hear that. If anyone deserves a GTR its him 

And unless AMS had a crazy timeline I'd have let them deal with the car, although if you've got other great shops around them... Then I guess I wouldn't worry lol.

Edited by OuLikeBlueGTRs, 15 August 2015 - 07:58 AM.

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 376 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15

Eric

I would agree with this. Not only that but when something is in-stock you might get that lost customer back, where as if someone came to you for a big build or even small one and it took forever and they left unhappy, then chances of them coming back for something like the new fuel systems, CF manifolds are far more limited, where as if they went somewhere else got it done in their required time, the chances that they will come back around since they originally considered AMS is far more likely. I know thats how I'd operate. If I felt like a shop said whatever to land my job and I left unhappy, regardless of the quality of products that came out later from them, I'd avoid it, and I'd avoid it on personal principle regardless of discounts, free parts, or even reliability.

Now with that said I wouldn't make my life's goal a personal vendetta for feeling wronged or soured but word of mouth is an amazing thing, especially with social media, so while I wouldn't go get a website to write blog posts about why a shop wronged me and followed every f* up they had forever. I would certainly take time out of my day to voice my own experience when the opportunities presented themselves to other potential customers, and  have them err on the side of caution based on my own experiences.

• ALPHA Performance and 7racer like this

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 376 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15

Now ets is behind the 8ball shipping turbos lol.. Just as the DSS fiasco is coming to a close another in full effect >.< shoulda just gone gt1000s and made less power lol

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,816 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
That's what happens in busy season. Shops are out racing as well.

Good luck and hopefully the smile on your face when it's done from pulls on the kill setting softens the blow !!

Edited by droptopp, 18 August 2015 - 11:41 AM.

TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000’s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18” 10/12” (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20” R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 376 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15

That's what happens in busy season. Shops are out racing as well.

Good luck and hopefully the smile on your face when it's done from pulls on the kill setting softens the blow !!

lol unlikely lmao but yeah... Sigh... God just doesn't want me to race apparently.

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 376 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15

Little update:

-Got my HKS turbos sold :) little less than I would have liked but within my personal acceptable range lol

-I believe ETS is finally FINALLY shipping out today... So it didn't come to having to overnight a kit from Eric and the boys at AMS [who I've been lucky enough to hit up multiple times when feeling panicked since I know they always have something in-stock]

-I believe the axle/stud DSS fiasco is finally in order and John has the parts needed to complete my trans 

How that all translates to completion is still up in the air, but hopefully in the next two weeks I'll have some good news about an end date in sight.. Would be nice to get some seat time in before it starts snowing or is sub 50 degrees, when Nt05s will be utterly useless. But I'll still try to drive down my street and launch on my driveway in the snow if I have to. I WILL get to use what I paid for lol

Edited by OuLikeBlueGTRs, 25 August 2015 - 06:12 AM.

• Tim, changster and 7racer like this

GTR272

GTR272

Stock

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Joined 13-August 15
Nice.....
  • OuLikeBlueGTRs likes this

2highpsi

2highpsi

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 859 posts
  • Joined 06-December 13
  • LocationCambridge, OH

Sorry if I missed it earlier, but which ETS kit did you end up going with?

Edited by 2highpsi, 25 August 2015 - 07:57 AM.

2014 Deep Blue Pearl Track Edition GT-R Alpha 7+  #80 of 160

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 376 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15

Sorry if I missed it earlier, but which ETS kit did you end up going with?

GTX3076R Ball bearing vent to atmosphere. Michael said they have an upgrade path to the 35R, little hero/super99 and T4 top mounts would require a whole new purchase.

• Tim and 2highpsi like this

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,640 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
I believe the 3794 fit this kit as well
  • OuLikeBlueGTRs likes this

ALPHA Performance

ALPHA Performance

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,708 posts
  • Joined 18-December 12

Happy to see things are moving along OP :)

Ty Curtin

ty@amsperformance.com 

GTR272

GTR272

Stock

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Joined 13-August 15

Hows car?    Mine finally got motor in and now on startup oil sensor is reading 290* So now have to see if can change it without pulling motor.

What axels kit do we order for the car? With hubs or without?

Thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: build, power, whp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users