Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2-4 weeks turned into 8 weeks and counting

- - - - - build power whp

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 376 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15

Let me preface this first off by saying I have an unusually weak ability to deal with inconvenience, its a personal flaw and I can readily admit that.

Well boys here it goes. I started a build project in June, the original estimate was 2-4 weeks with 4 being custom turbos which is something I'd have loved to have tried just be set out to be different from all the rest (that plan got scrapped), and estimate I got from another well known sizable shop was 2-3 weeks. So it came down to a few things saving on taxes, labor, etc. and known experience. I ended up going the custom turbo route and that's when trouble hit. About 19 days into the the work I was curious if we'd make it to a local shootout event that would come right around the 30 day/4 week mark, which is when it hit me... Things were far from fine, and parts weren't coming, and really little progress had been made which at that point made me feel like a dumb ass, because there is no amount of money in the world that can buy back the 4+ weeks I've lost to enjoy the car [I don't waste my time on vacations, or smoke cigarettes, I drive and I drive a LOT].

Over the course of the next 2 weeks progress picked up, and as it sits now I am all kinds of tied up due to DSS and them seemingly taking their own sweet time and as I sit now with my trans, they wanted 1-2 weeks as of August 5th, which if you take 2 weeks to arrive, then few days install, then ship my trans you're looking at a best case scenario of end of August like squeaking it into August, which is absolutely ludicrous to me how these time-lines can get this botched.

So the end result is 10 weeks by the 27th [if its even finished], and given my ability to meet any kind of deadline [not that even the 27th was set lol] I'd bet longer.

I know DSS is great, and they're great at what they do, but my first experience will more than likely be my last with them regardless of power level because I just can't be inconvenienced and not use my car the way I want to use it. Something that clearly isn't in the DSS business model lol

This has been an EPIC EPIC nightmare, and I've pretty much lost the back half of summer I could have been enjoying the HKS setup, and the car, which as each week passes has me loosing interest in even picking up or keeping the finished product just due to the massive disappointment.

I get that most of the guys here, or on life, or generally above the 70K investment mark don't really drive their cars. They keep them low mileage, super garage queens, and the amount of us that take them to a drive through in the rain, or drive them a day after it snows, is very low in comparison.

Edited by OuLikeBlueGTRs, 09 September 2015 - 07:08 AM.

• JasonRag likes this

changster

changster

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,305 posts
  • Joined 26-January 13
  • LocationBay Area + Taipei

POPULAR

LOL, shops or vendors will never tell you oh yes expect lots of delays and heartaches. This is the game unfortunately, and everyone has to learn the hard way. All build threads look rosy but I've realized a lot of it BS. Hard to look past the smoke and mirrors.  

Modding GTR's is NOT for the faint of heart. I've already accepted it, and you have to as well if you want to be in the mod game.

A few random thoughts:

- Vendors and shops never have anything in stock. NEVER. They expect the customer to pay in full, then they get on with making it.

- Vendors and shops have money issues. They take your money and you may think they are using it for you car but in reality it goes somewhere else. And they try to balance their cash situation with the timing of when they think they need it for your car.

- Nothing is ever on time. NEVER. Always some shit comes up, some reason, etc. They all sound like perfectly legitimate reasons too.

- You need to have a thick wallet, a lot of patience, and another sports car to help with downtime to be in this game.

That being said, I can't wait for my new 1600whp setup. :) 

• Polivoks, Tim, icarus and 6 others like this

- 4.4 liter Alpha 12 built by TSM (R.I.P)
- 4.1 liter ER/ETS 6466 built myself with the help of everyone.

- 4.2 liter billet block <? big boy kit> coming.

13180940063_33e81c30d6_z.jpg

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13
changster = we have a WINNER
  • VR_power and OuLikeBlueGTRs like this
2014 NISSAN GT-R
Racing Brake - HKS - GotBoost Performance - AMS

jima

jima

Stage 4 Member

• 1,133 posts
  • Joined 15-February 14
  • LocationSouth Florida

Spot on Changster, Sorry OP but in this industry (modifying cars) that's the way it goes, I honestly don't care if it was a small shop or a huge one like AMS, when modifying a car there is ALWAYS delay's and issues, totally normal and acceptable, if you didn't want to experience issues then you should have either kept it stock or FBO. 

• Ancalagon and OuLikeBlueGTRs like this

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,671 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
Two things I will mention. The words "custom" generally means that it's not off the shelf and will take longer. Second, you can't mod during the busiest time of the year and after a huge event. People break things, consume the stock inventory and that always leads to longer lead-times.

Sorry to hear, but as long as it's done correctly, I'm sure you will not even remember it.

Good luck. I also think if you posted the need for axles, I'm betting someone may have had them on the shelf.
  • OuLikeBlueGTRs likes this
GTX3582R built and tuned by STM, AMS 4.1, Omega billet crank, Alpha Cams, STM DP, MP, 4 STM Titanium custom exhaust, STM Race FMIC 22x18x4.5, full 3" piping, ID 2000, Sheptrans OneK drop gears, DS axles, E85, Advan GT 10/12 285/315 R888 / MT ET 18x10/12 TE37 Saga MT ET SS 275/245.
Heartbreaker Mustang 1186 E70 low boost. Dynojet 1350 +/- 60-130 3.5 seconds. 100-150 3.4 seconds.

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 376 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15

Two things I will mention. The words "custom" generally means that it's not off the shelf and will take longer. Second, you can't mod during the busiest time of the year and after a huge event. People break things, consume the stock inventory and that always leads to longer lead-times.

Sorry to hear, but as long as it's done correctly, I'm sure you will not even remember it.

Good luck. I also think if you posted the need for axles, I'm betting someone may have had them on the shelf.

Yeah that kinda became apparent later in process where I realized right when I decided to go ahead with it, was midway into summer which means everyone who'd broken something early on, or prepping for July events were all looking for parts

LOL, shops or vendors will never tell you oh yes expect lots of delays and heartaches. This is the game unfortunately, and everyone has to learn the hard way. All build threads look rosy but I've realized a lot of it BS. Hard to look past the smoke and mirrors.  

Modding GTR's is NOT for the faint of heart. I've already accepted it, and you have to as well if you want to be in the mod game.

A few random thoughts:

- Vendors and shops never have anything in stock. NEVER. They expect the customer to pay in full, then they get on with making it.

- Vendors and shops have money issues. They take your money and you may think they are using it for you car but in reality it goes somewhere else. And they try to balance their cash situation with the timing of when they think they need it for your car.

- Nothing is ever on time. NEVER. Always some shit comes up, some reason, etc. They all sound like perfectly legitimate reasons too.

- You need to have a thick wallet, a lot of patience, and another sports car to help with downtime to be in this game.

That being said, I can't wait for my new 1600whp setup.  :)

It was definitely a wake up call lol any money I was trying to save I'd have paid and then some to not be inconvenienced I guess I can take a little solace in that even if I'd gone bigger shop I might have run into delays.

If that was standard operating procedure with my job delaying customers constantly, pushing things back all the time, excuses upon excuses [you're right "blank part is back ordered we'll have it in a week shouldn't cause mass riots, but 1-2 months lol that's a tad absurd to me personally] I would definitely not be able to cut the checks to buy a gtr let alone mod it and keep a cash reserve big enough for blown motor/trans lol

Edited by OuLikeBlueGTRs, 13 August 2015 - 07:16 AM.

jima

jima

Stage 4 Member

• 1,133 posts
  • Joined 15-February 14
  • LocationSouth Florida

I also think if you posted the need for axles, I'm betting someone may have had them on the shelf.

I've been looking for Axels and everyone I talked to is 2-3 weeks out  :(  Same with TOMEI cams 6 weeks out for those! sucks. 

• OuLikeBlueGTRs likes this

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 376 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15

I've been looking for Axels and everyone I talked to is 2-3 weeks out  :(  Same with TOMEI cams 6 weeks out for those! sucks. 

lol I think I've been waiting over 4 weeks and still no end in sight. I'm to the point where I wish I could cancel and I'd rather rip the transfer case apart breaking a stock axle than waiting on DSS lol

Spot on Changster, Sorry OP but in this industry (modifying cars) that's the way it goes, I honestly don't care if it was a small shop or a huge one like AMS, when modifying a car there is ALWAYS delay's and issues, totally normal and acceptable, if you didn't want to experience issues then you should have either kept it stock or FBO. 

Yeah, I realize if this would be the standard going higher than I am, or that once I start breaking things its weeks and weeks of downtime which will be routine, regardless of funding which isn't a problem it just wont be for me lol. There is just no way I could not want to use my car weekly.

Edited by OuLikeBlueGTRs, 13 August 2015 - 07:17 AM.

Stuart@T1

Stuart@T1

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 872 posts
  • Joined 29-July 13

POPULAR

A few random thoughts:

I totally get where you guys are coming from with some of these frustrations, but I do want to take second to address a few things.  

We stock ALOT of stuff, and try to be 100% honest with every customer about a backorder or non stock part. When I started here I was really impressed with how important this was at T1.  Do we get pushed back and delayed on some parts? Of course, but it will be made very clear at the time of purchase.  

I can say with 100% certainty that every single dollar a customer spends here immediately goes to what they are paying for.  There is no cash balancing going on here, it wouldn't fly for one second. When cars are down and in line for work here our shelves get full really fast with parts that are paid for and not yet installed.  My techs loving pushing around carts full of new parts for cars they can't get to yet lol!

Sadly this does happen alot, and it has certainly happened here from time to time.  We try and quote build times quite a bit longer than most to allow for some of this, but sometimes stuff happens that is out of our control. 

Modding GT-R's with good parts and with people who know what they are doing is certainly not cheap, no argument from me here  :) 

DSS got pushed back severely due to some production issues recently, but I believe they are back on track.  I MAY actually have a set of Tomei's here for sale. I think a vendor of ours sent us two sets instead of one for a set of heads we are doing for them. I will find out and let you know.  

• Tim, changster, 7racer and 2 others like this

t1sig%20new_zpsrcxzxhwf.jpg

jima

jima

Stage 4 Member

• 1,133 posts
  • Joined 15-February 14
  • LocationSouth Florida

DSS got pushed back severely due to some production issues recently, but I believe they are back on track.  I MAY actually have a set of Tomei's here for sale. I think a vendor of ours sent us two sets instead of one for a set of heads we are doing for them. I will find out and let you know.  

Dude that would be AWESOME ! is not for my car but a friend of mine he needs 256 in /264 ex so def let me know and I put you two in contact.

Stuart@T1

Stuart@T1

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 872 posts
  • Joined 29-July 13

Dude that would be AWESOME ! is not for my car but a friend of mine he needs 256 in /264 ex so def let me know and I put you two in contact.

Let me verify these are available. Be in touch soon. 

• jima likes this

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 376 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15

I totally get where you guys are coming from with some of these frustrations, but I do want to take second to address a few things.  

We stock ALOT of stuff, and try to be 100% honest with every customer about a backorder or non stock part. When I started here I was really impressed with how important this was at T1.  Do we get pushed back and delayed on some parts? Of course, but it will be made very clear at the time of purchase.  

I can say with 100% certainty that every single dollar a customer spends here immediately goes to what they are paying for.  There is no cash balancing going on here, it wouldn't fly for one second. When cars are down and in line for work here our shelves get full really fast with parts that are paid for and not yet installed.  My techs loving pushing around carts full of new parts for cars they can't get to yet lol!

Sadly this does happen alot, and it has certainly happened here from time to time.  We try and quote build times quite a bit longer than most to allow for some of this, but sometimes stuff happens that is out of our control. 

Modding GT-R's with good parts and with people who know what they are doing is certainly not cheap, no argument from me here  :) 

Thanks for the post.. Honestly that may have been part of the problem at least in my case, I was given timelines that I thought over and prepared myself for and when it turned out to be 3 times as long, It just seems wholly unacceptable regardless of the moving parts of different vendors/ potential for dela, s[ and to be fair to my build team who i support, I had issues with Manley getting shipped, I had issues with dss, I think even ETS needed a few weeks which they were the least of my worries at that point lol]... If you guys came to me and said "we wanna sponsor you and build your blue GTR and give you all parts and labor free... BUT it'll take 3 months or more" my answer just because of who I am and how I use my car would have been "NO"... I'm just that type of person that wants it to do with as I please which is why I don't plan on doing much more than head work after this maybe even bigger turbos if they can save a/c with top mounts, but my trans is 100% stage 4... And I'm pretty much solid on all fronts, but I stayed away from 1500+ because of the issues and potential for more repairs, just knowing I couldn't handle myself if things started blowing up and I couldn't use what I paid for lol

But it sounds like you guys try to be as forward as possible in giving someone a real idea of downtime, which again I'm not unreasonable if something needed an extra week or two over esitmate but when you're talking 3,4,5+ that to me becomes borderline unacceptable.

Edited by OuLikeBlueGTRs, 09 September 2015 - 07:09 AM.

• Tim, changster, Stuart@T1 and 1 other like this

tgkb278

tgkb278

Stage 4 Member

• 416 posts
  • Joined 09-February 14
  • LocationBack to CA
Couple suggestions, have a clear plan of what you want to do for your build, any change will cause delays. Gather all the parts before putting the car on the lift. So all that is left is the labor and you can enjoy your car when the parts are coming in. Try to get things coated ahead of time too, eliminate as many uncertain variable as possible.

If a shop is responsible for ordering all the parts, make sure they got everything they need before bring the car to them.

Edited by tgkb278, 13 August 2015 - 09:02 AM.

• Ourtoy and OuLikeBlueGTRs like this

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,737 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

Couple suggestions, have a clear plan of what you want to do for your build, any change will cause delays. Gather all the parts before putting the car on the lift. So all that is left is the labor and you can enjoy your car when the parts are coming in. Try to get things coated ahead of time too, eliminate as many uncertain variable as possible.

If a shop is responsible for ordering all the parts, make sure they got everything they need before bring the car to them.

This. If you want proof, check out dsm_alpha's build. I think he spent months working with the shop accumulating the parts and then it was only in the actual shop for a few weeks of downtime while actually being built.

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 376 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15

Very good advice! I bow down to you sir

ALPHA Performance

ALPHA Performance

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,708 posts
  • Joined 18-December 12

POPULAR

A few random thoughts:

I can say that for us 1 is not true. We keep a ridiculous inventory. If we are out of stock we tell you right up front.

Regarding number 2 while there are several shops that suffer from the "rob peter to pay Paul" mentality we decided a LONG time ago we would never be this shop. Ask around to vendors and see how good we are about paying our bills. We take that pretty damn seriously. We ask for 50% of the build invoice when you book the job. This helps us reorder what we are depleting from inventory and more importantly shows us you are serious about the build. The balance is due when we are done. I even have told customers not to worry about paying us early unless its something they needed to have happen. We would rather have the build balance paid for when we are done.

On number three...sadly when you are doing this much to a car and then the shop has to rely on other people and vendors things will go wrong. That's the nature of the build. We honestly quote pretty long times now. I know we might lose a build or two because of it but we would rather "under promise and over deliver" as a wise man on this site once said.

Number four.... well doing it right costs money. No argument here.

Eric

• Tim, changster, 7racer and 6 others like this

Ty Curtin

ty@amsperformance.com 

World's First Nissan R35 GT-R in the 9's, 8's 7's AND THE 6's!!!!!!!

Alpha Queen - 6.87 @ 216 mph

Alpha G 6.93 @ 196 | Alpha 22 (Prime Cuts) 7.06 @ 206 | Alpha 22 (CMC) 7.32 @ 184 | Alpha Omega 7.48 @ 193 | Alpha W (a10x) 7.56 @ 189 | Alpha X (Curtis) 7.66 @ 187 

Stuart@T1

Stuart@T1

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 872 posts
  • Joined 29-July 13

I can say that for us 1 and 2 are not true. We keep a ridiculous inventory. If we are out of stock we tell you right up front.

While there are several shops that suffer from the "rob peter to pay Paul" mentality we decided a LONG time ago we would never be this shop. Ask around to vendors and see how good we are about paying our bills. We take that pretty damn seriously.

on number three...sadly when you are doing this much to a car and then the shop has to rely on other people and vendors things will go wrong. That's the nature of the build. We honestly quote pretty long times now. I know we might lose a build or two because of it but we would rather "under promise and over deliver" as a wise man on this site once said.

Eric

Amen.

• ALPHA Performance likes this

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 376 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15

I can say that for us 1 is not true. We keep a ridiculous inventory. If we are out of stock we tell you right up front.

Regarding number 2 while there are several shops that suffer from the "rob peter to pay Paul" mentality we decided a LONG time ago we would never be this shop. Ask around to vendors and see how good we are about paying our bills. We take that pretty damn seriously. We ask for 50% of the build invoice when you book the job. This helps us reorder what we are depleting from inventory and more importantly shows us you are serious about the build. The balance is due when we are done. I even have told customers not to worry about paying us early unless its something they needed to have happen. We would rather have the build balance paid for when we are done.

On number three...sadly when you are doing this much to a car and then the shop has to rely on other people and vendors things will go wrong. That's the nature of the build. We honestly quote pretty long times now. I know we might lose a build or two because of it but we would rather "under promise and over deliver" as a wise man on this site once said.

Eric

I feel that. We spoke on the phone once and a lot on battalion lol, but I don't have any doubt if I blew my motor and called you guys up you'd have a long block somewhere + core charge and I'd be able to be back up and running fairly quickly.

Number 3: I guess its just the nature of the beast and something unless you've really done it before you'd be ignorant to. I've done tame modifications compared to what I've started with the GTR, but I guess I just don't have a day-to-day understanding of what could cause these types of what I'd call MASSIVE delays where you take a project that is on pace + or - a week or two, and then just boom double or triple the time... 

I also think again tolerance and personal use plays a big factor, I have 3 cars Lexus, BMW, so hardly a compromise in quality, but I would give them away to be able to drive my GTR right now even if it were instantly stuck back to its original state. Meanwhile you have other people who don't mind not seeing their car for 5-6 months and probably fill that "some things are worth the wait" I just don't consider an out of sight out of mind state to actually be things  are worth the wait.

Regardless thanks to two very esteemed shops for providing their input. Both shops I believe I contacted multiple times about engines :)

• Tim and ALPHA Performance like this

DSGPerformance

DSGPerformance

Stage 2 Member

• 216 posts
  • Joined 16-October 13
  • LocationCanada/USA

A few random thoughts:

In regards to stock, this is simply not true. While we can't always hold every single part of the thousands we carry, we regularly do massive Varis stocking orders and have many of our manufacturers make parts to hold for us. Typically we do a big ETS sale for Black Friday on other platforms and have a lot made in advance to not get stuck with crazy delays (after going through that once, never again), same goes for wheels.

But from a business standpoint, if it's something that's very rarely ordered, most places will not carry it ie. we're Alpha dealers but we don't have an Alpha16 kit sitting at the office for shits and giggles so I think it's a bit of a generalization. To touch base on Eric@AMS/Alpha, I can vouch that they do indeed almost always have inventory on everything and it's one of the reasons we love working with them :) 

Also for delays, we always let customers know the ETA that we know at that time. Of course delays can occur like last year with a random Cali port strike, 8-12 weeks became 16-20 but unfortunately we don't run the port lol

Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,801 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13

We recently waited almost 3 weeks for a set of DSS axles for a car here too... 

For our payment terms, we take payments for parts at time of order so that in the unfortunate event that something happens to us or you... you own your parts.  We take payment for labor, fluids, and tuning at project completion so that we don't get paid until you get your car and you're happy with it.  For large deliverables like transmissions or engines, we take payment at time of completion on those items to keep the cash flow going well. 

If there's anything we can do to speed along your process, let us know!  I know it can be frustrating to wait... and I know it will be worth it in the end!

Doug Ross
Owner of Weapons Grade Performance
-Northeast/Pacific Northwest Shops where we ONLY work on GT-Rs
-Owner/Builder of the 1st Ever Home Garage GT-R Drivetrain Removal
Cobb Protuner / EcuTek Tuner
-All Wheel Drive Mustang Dyno in House
doug@weaponsgradeperformance.com
Our Online Store
East Coast Location 226 N. Plains Industrial Rd, Wallingford CT 06492 203-668-4765

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: build, power, whp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users