Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Trunk Removal question

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Ourtoy

Ourtoy

Stage 2.5 Member

• OEM Member
  • 267 posts
  • Joined 24-November 13

So I picked up a CF deck lid and spoiler the other day from a local guy at a great price and was going to try to install before this weekends track day.  My question is, is there a way to disconnect the brake light with out having to remove the whole spoiler?  Could I just raise the right side up some to get to the plug.  I am trying to not have to totally disassemble the wing assembly just to get to a plug.  Is there a easy way?

Any help and guidance would be great.  Thanks

Edited by Ourtoy, 16 June 2015 - 03:02 PM.

bpauto

bpauto

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 570 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13

So I picked up a CF deck lid and spoiler the other day from a local guy at a great price and was going to try to install before this weekends track day.  My question is, is there a way to disconnect the brake light with out having to remove the whole spoiler?  Could I just raise the right side up some to get to the plug.  I am trying to not have to totally disassemble the wing assembly just to get to a plug.  Is there a easy way?

At the bare minimum, you're going to have to pull the 3rd brake light, and loosen the right side of the wing.

gtrrforumsignature.jpg

213.745.6954 | sales@gt-rr.com                                                   
Official North American Distributor: Top Secret, Amuse, Mines, Do Luck, Varis, TOMMYKAIRA / Rowen, Voltex, JUN, ESPRIT, Top Racing, ZELE + More!

Ourtoy

Ourtoy

Stage 2.5 Member

• OEM Member
  • 267 posts
  • Joined 24-November 13

Thanks for the tip.  I was able to loose up just the right side and pull the harness up enough to unplug it, so it all worked out, well kinda.  If I want to install the stock deck lid back, I am going to have to remove the wing in order to install the rubber grommet on the harness.  I will burn that bridge when I get there.

Now I just need to get a front splitter to balance the car.

• 7racer likes this

Buschur Racing

Buschur Racing

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,360 posts
  • Joined 19-September 13
  • LocationWakeman, Ohio
Easiest is to cut the wire and then solder/heat shrink back together.
  • celsius likes this

www.buschurracing.com

BR160 package, stock turbofolds, 8.33@168.68 mph, E80 fuel.  

BR160 package, stock turbofolds, 8.74@160.08 mph, 93 octane.

Standing 1/2 mile 199.29 mph

COBB TUNING DEALER AND PRO TUNER

BUSCHUR RACING on FACEBOOK

BR SHOOTOUT on FACEBOOK

bpauto

bpauto

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 570 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13

There's no need to cut it if you take your time.

gtrrforumsignature.jpg

Official North American Distributor: Top Secret, Amuse, Mines, Do Luck, Varis, TOMMYKAIRA / Rowen, Voltex, JUN, ESPRIT, Top Racing, ZELE + More!

GTR.Choi

GTR.Choi

Stage 1 Member

• Validating
  • 122 posts
  • Joined 03-November 15

Where did you buy the CF deck lid at? Is it Kevlar? I Want to swap the hood on a 14' for a vented CF but can't decide on straight solid CF or Kevlar. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Ourtoy

Ourtoy

Stage 2.5 Member

• OEM Member
  • 267 posts
  • Joined 24-November 13

Where did you buy the CF deck lid at? Is it Kevlar? I Want to swap the hood on a 14' for a vented CF but can't decide on straight solid CF or Kevlar. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

I bought the CF deck lid from a local guy that had it on his GTR that he had sold, it is not Kevlar, it was a Seibon Brand Deck lid.   There are several vendors that sell Seibon CF deck lids, but Kevlar, I don't know anything about them.  

Since I don't know about Kevlar type of hoods or deck lids, I really can't give ya any suggestions on which way to go.  Maybe someone on here has experience with a Kevlar hood and will be able to chime to give their thoughts.   Sorry I was of no help.........but when you do decide post up what you got though.  I would like to go to a different hood at some point, and like to see what people chose and how they look.

bpauto

bpauto

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 570 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13

Is there a specific reason you're interested in Carbon-Kevlar as opposed to standard Carbon Fiber?

• GTR.Choi likes this

gtrrforumsignature.jpg

jdmrb1

jdmrb1

Stage 3 Member

• 358 posts
  • Joined 22-February 15
  • LocationYokohama Japan

How hard is it to swap the entire trunk lip. Thinking having one for street and a GT wing lid for track. 

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,544 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

How hard is it to swap the entire trunk lip. Thinking having one for street and a GT wing lid for track. 

it's not that bad, but dealing with the wiring is the biggest PITA.  I remember someone buying two harnesses and making a quick release slice to allow them to quickly switch trunks.

• bpauto and cmurder1019 like this

In7anity!!

Buschur Racing

Buschur Racing

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,360 posts
  • Joined 19-September 13
  • LocationWakeman, Ohio

Another tip for anyone doing a trunk swap.  Heat the head of the bolts before you try to unbolt it.  The paint is tough enough that if you try to take them out cold you will round the "head" off those special bolts.  I use a cigar torch type lighter and just concentrate that heat on the head for a few seconds.

• sfearl1 and cmurder1019 like this

www.buschurracing.com

BR160 package, stock turbofolds, 8.33@168.68 mph, E80 fuel.  

BR160 package, stock turbofolds, 8.74@160.08 mph, 93 octane.

Standing 1/2 mile 199.29 mph

COBB TUNING DEALER AND PRO TUNER

BUSCHUR RACING on FACEBOOK

BR SHOOTOUT on FACEBOOK

bpauto

bpauto

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 570 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13

it's not that bad, but dealing with the wiring is the biggest PITA.  I remember someone buying two harnesses and making a quick release slice to allow them to quickly switch trunks.

This.

The wiring harness for the release and the third brake light is cumbersome, as it passes through the right stand and up through the top portion of the wing. If you intend on hot-swapping from time-to-time, a secondary harness that's easily removable will make your life a lot easier.

• cmurder1019 likes this

gtrrforumsignature.jpg

GTR.Choi

GTR.Choi

Stage 1 Member

• Validating
  • 122 posts
  • Joined 03-November 15

Is there a specific reason you're interested in Carbon-Kevlar as opposed to standard Carbon Fiber?

Been out of town dude sorry. Pretty much I feel with Kevlar there is more flexibility as far as taking on pressure. My brother has solid CF on his Audi R8 but when I touch it feels like steel yet thin and smooth and super light enough that it seems like it can shatter with the slightest of pressure if that makes any sense. I just can't seem to to decide which is the most advantageous, then again I'm no CF expert. Lol. I'm only doing the hood, and plan on CF wrapping the trunk by the way.

Edited by GTR.Choi, 12 November 2015 - 03:53 AM.

bpauto

bpauto

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 570 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13

Been out of town dude sorry. Pretty much I feel with Kevlar there is more flexibility as far as taking on pressure. My brother has solid CF on his Audi R8 but when I touch it feels like steel yet thin and smooth and super light enough that it seems like it can shatter with the slightest of pressure if that makes any sense. I just can't seem to to decide which is the most advantageous, then again I'm no CF expert. Lol. I'm only doing the hood, and plan on CF wrapping the trunk by the way.

The material isn't as important and the construction.

If you have 1 layer of Carbon-Kevlar, it'll be flimsy; if you have 2 layers of carbon, all else being equal, it will in most cases be stiffer than the single layer of Carbon-Kevlar. One-for-one layering too also has an effect. For example, if you use a heavier weave carbon cloth, then you'll get more rigidity layer-for-layer versus a thinner carbon or carbon-kevlar cloth.

I think people fixate on the material, more than the actual construction, which is where all the misinformation comes from. (This is especially true with hoods and trunks, where the structural integrity is based more so on the design of the inner section.)

gtrrforumsignature.jpg

import36

import36

Stock

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 18-March 16
  • Location757

so i'm in the middle of swapping out trunk lids/wing as well and would like to keep my oem BE wing and trunk in tact. when you say cut the wire...can i just solder the wires from the 4-pin coming into the trunk to the 3-pin harness that connects to the lock module (being sure to match the gray black and pink wires together)? would this work?trunk20harness_zpsxxrc4nfp.jpg

2015 Nissan GTR BE Pearl White

celsius

celsius

Stage 2.5 Member

• OEM Member
  • 297 posts
  • Joined 31-December 12

Yep, That's what I did back in 2012 when Revozport first released the trunk.
  • Tim likes this

Falcon900

Falcon900

Stock

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Joined 25-May 18
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

So I bought the OEM CF rear wing, how hard is this to install? 

2016 Premium Cobb Stage 3; Cobb Downpipes, Cobb Y-Pipe, NISMO Ti Exhaust, Cobb 3" Intakes, ID1050X Injectors.

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,544 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

So I bought the OEM CF rear wing, how hard is this to install? 

pretty easy

In7anity!!

Falcon900

Falcon900

Stock

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Joined 25-May 18
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

pretty easy

My mechanic told me it is a PIA to get the old spoiler off because of the tape, is there some technique that makes it easier to remove?

2016 Premium Cobb Stage 3; Cobb Downpipes, Cobb Y-Pipe, NISMO Ti Exhaust, Cobb 3" Intakes, ID1050X Injectors.

Aequitas & Veritas

Aequitas & Veritas

Stage 2 Member

• 221 posts
  • Joined 20-October 15
  • LocationJoplin, MO

My mechanic told me it is a PIA to get the old spoiler off because of the tape, is there some technique that makes it easier to remove?

Not hard, blow dryer (heat gun gets too hot), goo gone, and some fishing wire. Heat it with the hair dryer then try the fishing wire back and forth it'll go through, then the goo gone to get the rest off.

IG - NoCrustGTR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users