Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

TEIN EDFC active pro suspension controller

- - - - - edfc tein active suspension

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,156 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

I don't think it's a secret that I'm kinda fascinated by the Aragosta Type SA ACE semi-active suspension.

However, I haven't been able to get as much info about the suspension.

From what I can tell, the suspension is single adjustable and the computer controls it.  From the pictures, I can't tell how it's done but imagine that it is a servo controlling the adjustment knob.

On Saturday, I was at Jotech picking up the car (WHOO HOOO by the way) and saw a banner that the shop had up advertising the TEIN EDFC active pro controller.

WTH is that?

EDFC_ACTIVE_PRO.jpg

it looks like it's a controller that allows you to change the compression and rebound while in the car.  Not only that, it can change the compression and rebound based on speed and cornering and accel/decel g's (the aragostas do the same but only one way adjustable).

It easier to find info about these as they look like they are servo controller of the adjustment knobs...but the adjustment seems fast.

http://www.tein.com/...active_pro.html

For the GT-R it's only compatible with the Super Racing ultimate spec coilover which has been out for a long time.

http://www.tein.com/...per_racing.html

It's pretty cool to see how quick it works.

and here is a vid from TEIN that is all in Japanese but the beginning is what's its like to play with coilovers at the track, but watching the changes as he makes lap after lap is pretty cool.

not sure of the quality of the TEIN Super Racing compared to JRZ and the Aragostas, but it gives you more range due to the active control

• celsius, icarus and choerizo like this

In7anity!!

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,156 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

just thought it was interesting....

In7anity!!

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,642 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

This is what the R / C controls should do!

descartesfool

descartesfool

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 848 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

Pretty cool system!

I've had race spec Tein RA coilovers on my NSX for years now and they are very well made and performed great on track back in the day. Now it's just an occasional daily driver and those race dampers are pretty stiff. But I've never taken them out as it's really nice to have that racy feel. Buddy had some of their full-race spec Tein N1's on his CRX and they were good too.

Never seen a review of the Tein Super Racing coilover for the GT-R. Price is good though, $3750 list for all four.

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,580 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
this complete system was installed ages ago maybe 2010, I'm guessing. the coilovers were not that great for tracking from what I remember, but I would take that with a grain of salt. too bad they dont make the controller muli platform.

descartesfool

descartesfool

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 848 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

this complete system was installed ages ago maybe 2010, I'm guessing. the coilovers were not that great for tracking from what I remember, but I would take that with a grain of salt. too bad they dont make the controller muli platform.

Can't remember any actual review for their coilovers on the GT-R. Perhaps just speculation in some threads about how they might perform. They do have external reservoirs with separate bump and rebound adjusters. My personal experience with their stuff has been good. I have known other guys who ran their race spec stuff on track and were happy. Just lots of bad speak about Tein from people who have never used them on forums, and perhaps their bottom line models are not fantastic. Better than JRZ, not likely, but half the price.

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,156 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Yep the coilovers are super old but the EDFC pro that control rebound and compression actively is new for 2014

In7anity!!

bpauto

bpauto

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 565 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13

Like Ian mentioned, I think the coilovers themselves didn't review particular well for track use, which is why you see a virtually zero take-rate on them. (But I guess expectations can't be very high on "top of the line" racing coilovers for only $2800)

This new electronic controller is quite intriguing. I don't see how being able to actively adjust compression and rebound dynamically would be much help though, unless there was some program-ability for various conditions / tracks.

gtrrforumsignature.jpg

213.745.6954 | sales@gt-rr.com                                                   
Official North American Distributor: Top Secret, Amuse, Mines, Do Luck, Varis, TOMMYKAIRA / Rowen, Voltex, JUN, ESPRIT, Top Racing, ZELE + More!

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,580 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
sorry I assumed this was the same as the old controller which is what I ment.

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,156 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Like Ian mentioned, I think the coilovers themselves didn't review particular well for track use, which is why you see a virtually zero take-rate on them. (But I guess expectations can't be very high on "top of the line" racing coilovers for only $2800)

This new electronic controller is quite intriguing. I don't see how being able to actively adjust compression and rebound dynamically would be much help though, unless there was some program-ability for various conditions / tracks.

Kris!  this is why I am interested in the Aragostas.  The controllers (both Aragostas and Tein) have an accelerometer/g-sensor.  so when you corner you can tell the compression to firm up for example.  Or if you decide to go to the drag strip to can set to one of the presets to have the compression and rebound soft to get a good launch with a slow rebound.

Or under braking in the dry, you could have the front firmer when the g sensor detects it or when more wet, soften it up.

It's basically the same reason we have adjustable at the track, but a PITA to do after a session.  Not only that, the changes are static.  That is while it helps one section, it's the same for all, where as these "semi" active ones change with the g's seen.

Keep hounding Aragosta's for more info!!!!

In7anity!!

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,580 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
how long does it take to go one setting up or down? is it like a few sec or almost instantly?

thats the right idea you have 7racer, I dunno if its there yet, I think OEM's and f1 are the only one with that kind of operating components

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,156 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

how long does it take to go one setting up or down? is it like a few sec or almost instantly?

thats the right idea you have 7racer, I dunno if its there yet, I think OEM's and f1 are the only one with that kind of operating components

instant...look at the first video of the guy pushing down on the back of the subaru...while the guy in the front is turning the knob.

In7anity!!

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,156 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

I found another video of the servo spinning the adjustment knobs...

going to work out in a bit but will post it up.

this is why I have DYING to have more info on the Aragostas.  They seem to be a better built coilover but only single adjustable.

In7anity!!

descartesfool

descartesfool

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 848 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

Can anyone find an actual review of the Tein GT-R coilovers? Never seen any. Fund these pictures on Life. I did find a lot of speculation that because Tein are Japanese coilovers that they are not good, but that is just heresay about these particular coilovers. Need a good review of these being used on track which is what they are designed for. They certainly look extremely well made on the outside.

SRCRear.jpg

GTR-SRC.jpg

teinsuperracinggtr.jpg

ILL_7201-1.jpg

ILL_7192-1.jpg

ILL_7218-1.jpg

ILL_7229-1.jpg

You can see the servo motor actuators on the reservoirs for bump adjustments

ILL_7231-1.jpg

Rebound adjusters on top without the motors

ILL_7236-1.jpg

bpauto

bpauto

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 565 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13

Can anyone find an actual review of the Tein GT-R coilovers? Never seen any. Fund these pictures on Life. I did find a lot of speculation that because Tein are Japanese coilovers that they are not good, but that is just heresay about these particular coilovers. Need a good review of these being used on track which is what they are designed for. They certainly look extremely well made on the outside.

SRCRear.jpg

GTR-SRC.jpg

teinsuperracinggtr.jpg

ILL_7201-1.jpg

ILL_7192-1.jpg

ILL_7218-1.jpg

ILL_7229-1.jpg

You can see the servo motor actuators on the reservoirs for bump adjustments

ILL_7231-1.jpg

Rebound adjusters on top without the motors

ILL_7236-1.jpg

Most issues people have with TEIN is their valving quality. Contrary to popular belief, TEIN coilovers are not built in Japan, and the quality of parts used is so-so. Consequently, performance is also so-so. It's not to say that they don't have their place, but in terms of serious track suspension, there are a lot of better options.

gtrrforumsignature.jpg

213.745.6954 | sales@gt-rr.com                                                   
Official North American Distributor: Top Secret, Amuse, Mines, Do Luck, Varis, TOMMYKAIRA / Rowen, Voltex, JUN, ESPRIT, Top Racing, ZELE + More!

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,580 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
iirc they are built in Thailand.
they are designed for lighter weight vehicle's and not track reliability and adjustments like the higher end 4way track coilovers. perfectly fine for the 86 and saubies seeing light track.

valving and spring rates for the gtr fluctuate between brands, but only those with r&d behind them are probably the ones to get. eg ohlins, jrz, penski and a few more.
adjustability and reliability are important as much as the correct setup.

it probably wouldn't be hard to get the teins custom valving and use the edfc pro controller. would be nice if hey licensed the technology so others could incorporate it in higher end systems (or offer a higher end race setup like kW does as an example (for the gtr anyways).

regardless maybe you could give it a try and if it don't work out I'm sure someone would buy it for light track, street or stance.

ztune

ztune

Stock

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Joined 18-June 14
After my car broken on track and now fully repaired I installed this kit with full options.

I used before JRZ 2 way clubsport. I will be able to see difference between this 2 systems....

First shakedown in 3 weeks...

Will try to make review for you guys.

My tuner already tried this system and told me he was really impressed by it. Hope he is right!
  • 7racer likes this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,156 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13
I like how fast it responds!!

In7anity!!

BAZ007

BAZ007

Stage 4 Member