Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RB Caliper Kit w/ZR1 Rotors

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,051 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches

RacingBrake sells a kit for them to do so if they want.

It all depends on how much and how often you track, and if you want to foot the replacement costs.

If you track every other weekend, hard, at high speed tracks the rotors can burn up quickly.

I burned up a set of CCM's in 2 years.

Multiple track events on the ZR-1's, even used ones never even phased them.

Shawn

That’s another thing I’d would of like to have off your car :(
  • shawnhayes, elf_cruiser and awdtt like this
post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,010 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

That’s another thing I’d would of like to have off your car :(

Already on the way to another forum member.

They would have been lost to the dealer had this member not stepped up.  I have been trying to save a little lately (I traded in two cars on my M5 to save both payments and property taxes), and the labor to remove the brakes was something I didn't have time to do.  The dealer charged quite a penny to switch out to OEM brakes (I had all the parts).

So, they are on the way to that member.  I'll let them identify themselves if they wish.

I will miss those brakes my friend.  Very very much.

I won't miss the shitty cooling on the GT-R.  Not at all.

Shawn

• Tim and thehelix112 like this

Warren-RB

Warren-RB

Stage 4 Member

• 508 posts
  • Joined 20-January 14

I wanna see longer term test results. The fact that Porsche guys go back to iron says something to me about ongoing costs.

Wonder if Zr1 guys go back to iron too...?

Dave

All these I should say partial true "misception" were due to the early adaption of Brembo's pccb on 996/997 with not so matured CCM discs (before SGL was acquired by Brembo), and after more than 10 years the disc material and mfg process together has made CCM rotors more durable and economical, including other optional discs that are made of alternative material and process continuous fibers - vs. Brrembo's chopped fibers.

But I think it's going to change with our offer of RB CCB system for Porsche:

-------------------------------------------------
Quote:

Originally Posted by gt2-josh viewpost.gif
BTW I think I just answered my question. Your brake kits actually preserve value of any performance cars. The owner can put his OEM stuff safe in the box, buy your kit actually improve his brake performance, enjoy his car free of brake stress and then if they sell replace original brakes and increase value of car by having pristine brakes and then buy and repeat. I really do love your concept. It's a truly great idea. I'll shut up now. JBO

Very good point.

A well designed brake system can actually "enhance" the overall value of a performance car in addition to preserving the value.
We love the advancement of the new brake rotor and pad material, while our design is still based on old school tradition; the fundamental of material science and physics (thermodynamics) for a maximum flexibility and interchangeability. As an example ALL RB-CCB brake system offer for Porsche are designed to use the same calipers and rotors (front and rear), the only difference in the kit is the adaptors for different spindles/upright. (from 993 all the way to 991)

The disc sizes are 394/390, the brake pads used in RB calipers (with open top and differential bores) are same as Z28 and ZR1 C7, so you know the replacements are much cheaper and easier than Porsche dealers, and they will continue be available 10, 20 or 30 years down the road.

For those who are looking for something different or better, we offer continuous fiber discs and sintered pads options. They are made only with different material / compound but are 100% compatible with ZR1/Z28 fitment.

Our idea is to offer a ccb system to transform either the traditional iron brake or expensive pccb with a "bullet proof" performance yet even more cost effective (cheaper to run than iron) system, good for any driving condition.

We believe if a system can satisfy the renown Porsche's professional racer David Dononue it's probably good for the rest of us.

https://rennlist.com....l#post14334913

--------------------------------------

RB is the first company offers iron conversion for ZR1/Z28 but very few people doing this conversion.

Edited by Warren-RB, 16 April 2018 - 02:59 PM.

www.RacingBrake.com

Warren-RB

Warren-RB

Stage 4 Member

• 508 posts
  • Joined 20-January 14

It all depends on how much and how often you track, and if you want to foot the replacement costs.

If you track every other weekend, hard, at high speed tracks the rotors can burn up quickly.

Shawn

The longevity of a CCM rotor is highly dependent on the brake pads, I would assume your 2 years life was based on the Stillen/AP rotors with ST discs and conventional semi-metallic pads like from Endless or Pagid correct?

With RB sintered pads the CCM rotors are expected to last and last; while the sintered pads is the only consumable to replace which still outlast most conventional pads by 2-3 times based on our observation on a Z28 NASA track car.

• Tim likes this
www.RacingBrake.com

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,010 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

The longevity of a CCM rotor is highly dependent on the brake pads, I would assume your 2 years life was based on the Stillen/AP rotors with ST discs and conventional semi-metallic pads like from Endless or Pagid correct?

With RB sintered pads the CCM rotors are expected to last and last; while the sintered pads is the only consumable to replace which still outlast most conventional pads by 2-3 times based on our observation on a Z28 NASA track car.

I had the misfortune of believing "virtually indestructible"  - I used multiple pads certified for CCM's.  But, I should have stuck to the Pagid's that came with the kit.  It's a soft pad that melts rather than abrades the face of the CCM's.  I also had the first generation CCM's, so the face treatment wasn't quite as durable.

I had much more satisfaction out of the ZR-1 kit.  I ran out of pads before I ran out of rotor.  The rotors I got were used, and 1 year of track events they were still stopping as well as when they were new.

Shawn

• thehelix112 likes this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,072 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Already on the way to another forum member.

They would have been lost to the dealer had this member not stepped up. I have been trying to save a little lately (I traded in two cars on my M5 to save both payments and property taxes), and the labor to remove the brakes was something I didn't have time to do. The dealer charged quite a penny to switch out to OEM brakes (I had all the parts).

So, they are on the way to that member. I'll let them identify themselves if they wish.

I will miss those brakes my friend. Very very much.

I won't miss the shitty cooling on the GT-R. Not at all.

Shawn

Me. Am super stoked to get them. Am gunna weigh them to see how far out of spec they are and probably replace the front rotors then throw them on and see if I can burn them up! ;-)

Thanks again Shawn!

Dave
  • Tim, choerizo and elf_cruiser like this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,867 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

Me. Am super stoked to get them. Am gunna weigh them to see how far out of spec they are and probably replace the front rotors then throw them on and see if I can burn them up! ;-)

Thanks again Shawn!

Dave

WINNING!!!
  • thehelix112 likes this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,051 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches

Thanks again Shawn!

Dave

Dave I. Couldn’t be happier that you got them my man ;) :)
  • thehelix112 likes this
post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

Aequitas & Veritas

Aequitas & Veritas

Stage 2 Member

• 215 posts
  • Joined 20-October 15
  • LocationJoplin, MO

Glad the dealer didn't get them! If I would have had the money/been close I would have offered to take them but my trans is with Shep being built (1.5) which has put a damper on my track day hopes so far this year

IG - NoCrustGTR

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,010 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Glad the dealer didn't get them! If I would have had the money/been close I would have offered to take them but my trans is with Shep being built (1.5) which has put a damper on my track day hopes so far this year

My life has been somewhat of a whirlwind lately.  In retrospect, I'd like to have put the car up on a lift and invite GTRHeritage members down to help me strip the car and put it back to stock for trade in.

I'm selling preferentially to GTRHeritage first.  Then will send out feelers elsewhere.

Shawn

Aequitas & Veritas

Aequitas & Veritas

Stage 2 Member

• 215 posts
  • Joined 20-October 15
  • LocationJoplin, MO

That would have been cool, if I were local I would have helped wrench on it as well since from our online passing's you're good people. Best of luck with the M5!

• shawnhayes likes this

IG - NoCrustGTR

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,072 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Dave I. Couldn’t be happier that you got them my man ;) :)

Thanks Tim! 

• Tim likes this

Warren-RB

Warren-RB

Stage 4 Member

• 508 posts
  • Joined 20-January 14

Shawn

Shawn,

Thanks for your comment about the CCM rotor longevity between ST and ZR1. Undoubtedly ST discs you had were at their early production stage, coupled with mixed use of brake pads, or the rotor life should be longer than 2 years.

The chopped fiber disc (ZR1) although by nature of construction is not as strong as ST, but with a proper pad they can last longer than ST's two years which you have also witnessed.

I have quoted your statement in rennlist forum, and thank you again for sharing your valuable experience to the tracking community re CCM rotors:

https://rennlist.com...ml#post14950907

• Tim likes this
www.RacingBrake.com

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,010 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Shawn,

Thanks for your comment about the CCM rotor longevity between ST and ZR1. Undoubtedly ST discs you had were at their early production stage, coupled with mixed use of brake pads, or the rotor life should be longer than 2 years.

The chopped fiber disc (ZR1) although by nature of construction is not as strong as ST, but with a proper pad they can last longer than ST's two years which you have also witnessed.

I have quoted your statement in rennlist forum, and thank you again for sharing your valuable experience to the tracking community re CCM rotors:

https://rennlist.com...ml#post14950907

ZR1 rotors cost 1/4 as much as the ST's, and in my humble opinion, do at least as well if not better.  The later coatings may work better, but the first generation was not so much.

Shawn

• thehelix112 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users