Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dave's slow, stealthy, Black Edition, HPDE-oriented build

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
646 replies to this topic

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,022 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

But the biggest thing, and the thing I need help from you guys with is that I think I am getting bad pad knockback. There is a very fast left hander (110mph apex) straight into a braking zone (bus stop) where I went off twice because when I pushed the pedal it went ⅔ to the floor and the car didn't stop. Car stopped just fine every other corner, though I was consistently getting freaked out and adjusting my brake zones back, only to have to accelerate back to the apex. Urgh. Learning for me there is to either tap the brakes (but honestly, that's hard to do as I need the weight on the rear to keep it planted around that corner), or to push the pedal until it stops, as what I was doing is pushing the brake down the same distance. Beginner driver move right there.

Took me 2 offs to realize what the shit was happening. So, I'll start another thread on knock back I think. I imagine the carbon brakes won't help. Maybe need new wheel bearings? Surely I'm not the only one hitting this issue..

I see the stock brakes still on the car.

The RacingBrake brakes are more resistant to knock back I found.

But wheel bearings could be part of the issue.  I did new ones as preventative maintenance.

Shawn

• thehelix112 likes this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,096 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I see the stock brakes still on the car.

The RacingBrake brakes are more resistant to knock back I found.

But wheel bearings could be part of the issue. I did new ones as preventative maintenance.

Shawn

Hey Shawn,

Good to know! It took me quite a while to save up for the replacement front rotors for your brakes. They're on the way to my house, or there, will check when I get back from traveling, and get them on the car!

Any other advice? Did you ever have to pump the pedal on track with the RBs?

Dave

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,022 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Hey Shawn,

Good to know! It took me quite a while to save up for the replacement front rotors for your brakes. They're on the way to my house, or there, will check when I get back from traveling, and get them on the car!

Any other advice? Did you ever have to pump the pedal on track with the RBs?

Dave

Never had to pump them.   Ever.  The pistons stay where they are unless the rotors are pushing back. 

Shawn

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,882 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Sounds like an awesome day, Dave! I love Peter’s car - very very jelly!!

As for the mental focus, yes - you have to always always always be thinking around the next corner, the optimal line, and force your vision to stay glued to that line. DO NOT ever look towards a wall, a sand trap, the back of the car ahead, etc. It’s very very hard to do, but learn to ignore the noise and focus on the result, it’s a key to going fast.

There are two quotes I’ve heard that explain this very well.

From one of the Nismo Academy directors “ If you think you are going off just look for hope, not reality”. He means literally LOOK with your eyes for the safest thing to hit, the best possible outcome.

From the book Racing in the Rain - “The car goes where the eyes go”

Anyways, you have to push the limits in order to get faster - keep on doing what you’re doing buddy!

Cheers!
  • 7racer, thehelix112 and Yinger like this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,096 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13

Thanks Wes. :D  Always fun.

Both those quotes are money, and the ignoring the noise piece are money, but man, so hard to do.  Need more seat time.

Car is gunna head back to Nissan for wheel bearings and a bit of trim replacement next week, will give me time to swap the hats over for the new fronts and then on with the first major upgrade on the thing.  Super excited!

Dave

• 7racer and elf_cruiser like this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,096 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13

POPULAR

Oh yeah. :-)87f0917d0062c5cf609fdf33fb550077.jpg
  • Tim, celsius, 7racer and 2 others like this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,096 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
Derp, double post

Edited by thehelix112, 13 September 2018 - 11:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users