Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dave's slow, stealthy, Black Edition, HPDE-oriented build

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
712 replies to this topic

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,425 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationArroyo Grande, CA
Hehe, if I had an ecutek and could do the cool abs/vdc system flush command in the ecu maybe I wouldn't be as worried about the air.

Shawn, yeah I hear ya. It's just kinda an expensive mod right now. And might complicate warranty issues on the transmission no? Nissan could just claim it was installed incorrectly.

Also, I got an oil change at the 1000mi, and got a sample. Blackstone is where people send for analysis right? I'm not sure what to look for, just looking to establish a baseline on the engine.

Oh and here is the start of the parts pile.

IMG_20150118_213905.jpg

Dave

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,135 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

I had no idea it wasn't common practice to empty a brake system. How can it be bad when literally every car has to be filled with brake fluid on the assembly line. They don't install the calipers full of fluid or the lines or the ABS controller, etc so at some point the system is full of air and then it's full of fluid. I don't see a brake system being different than any other hydraulic system, there's no harm in flushing it dry so long as you get all the air out upon refilling the system.

But on the assembly line;, just as in regular life, the recommended process upon reassembly starts with a "bench bleed" - pre filling the critical parts with fluid because some parts are put together in a way that you can't get all the air out in the car.

If there's no difficulty getting all the air out - no problem, but multiple systems I have had in my career didn't fill properly when filled totally from dry while in the car.

ABS systems are notoriously bad for that characteristic.

Shawn

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,135 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Also, I got an oil change at the 1000mi, and got a sample. Blackstone is where people send for analysis right? I'm not sure what to look for, just looking to establish a baseline on the engine.

To this point, most analyses have gone to blackstone. NickTo sent a couple to "oil analyzers" way back in 2009 (better analysis, but much more expensive)

Very little has been set in stone, but the cheapest oil anybody uses is Mobil 1, which is pretty damn good, you just have to keep it cool.

Shawn

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13

OEM tranny fluid holds up well to repeated 265F per my Blackstone analyses.  But the seals might be a weaker point.  Shawn, was it a seal that gave out on you?  The seals might degrade over time with repeated heat cycles over 250F, not sure, my HKS cooler typically keeps the tranny temps under 250F.   So....  on the tranny cooler I guess I recommend putting the HKS on if you are often going above 250F.

OEM Mobil 1 holds up well even when running the car into limp mode (279F ?) repeatedly, per my Blackstone analyses.

2014 NISSAN GT-R
Racing Brake - HKS - GotBoost Performance - AMS

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,135 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

OEM tranny fluid holds up well to repeated 265F per my Blackstone analyses.  But the seals might be a weaker point.  Shawn, was it a seal that gave out on you?  The seals might degrade over time with repeated heat cycles over 250F, not sure, my HKS cooler typically keeps the tranny temps under 250F.   So....  on the tranny cooler I guess I recommend putting the HKS on if you are often going above 250F.

OEM Mobil 1 holds up well even when running the car into limp mode (279F ?) repeatedly, per my Blackstone analyses.

The code was consistent with either a seal or a sensor, but because the transmission was replaced, no one could know for sure.

Even though the oil might hold its lubricity up to 279, you don't want it to get that hot, because a 40 weight oil won't hold its film strength for superb bearing protection at very hot temps, because it gets too thin.  If you upgrade the weight to a higher weight, that helps, but the proper answer is upgraded oil cooling.

Shawn

• sam2avila likes this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,425 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
Great info guys. Thanks! I wonder if they upgraded the seals on the later cars of if they're still an issue?

I guess I'll see how I go out there and make a judgement call on the day. The '14s are having transmission issues anyway I guess, at least my local dealer is aware of it, so if it needs to be replaced, so be it.

As an aside, is it just the speed of the gears squishing the oil that puts heat into the transmission? Or is it slip in the LSD more so?

Dave

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,135 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Great info guys. Thanks! I wonder if they upgraded the seals on the later cars of if they're still an issue?

I guess I'll see how I go out there and make a judgement call on the day. The '14s are having transmission issues anyway I guess, at least my local dealer is aware of it, so if it needs to be replaced, so be it.

As an aside, is it just the speed of the gears squishing the oil that puts heat into the transmission? Or is it slip in the LSD more so?

Dave

We think the seals are a little better material than they were in 2009.  But, the sensors in the 2012's and up definately seem hardier.

The heat in the tranny is multiple...

1. Clutch - wet clutch slips and puts a lot of heat in

2. High horsepower - put high horsepower through a synchronized transmssion and they get hot.  Cannot be helped.  It's the power plus the spin plus the torque plus the shifting.

3. It's right next to the exhaust

4. The differential gets HOT, and it's connected to the tranny - so it heats it up.

5. AWD system - putting torque BACK, and then running it FORWARD AGAIN is a fairly inefficient design, and adds heat due to the mechanical components.

Shawn

• thehelix112 likes this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,425 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
Gotcha. Thanks!

I might follow the gauge then, and just slow down if it gets near the yellow.

Dave

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,135 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Gotcha. Thanks!

I might follow the gauge then, and just slow down if it gets near the yellow.

Dave

Make sure you're staying below 250 most of the time.  It's bad to keep expensive electronic sensors and seals anywhere above that.

Shawn

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,425 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
Haha ok fine! :)

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,425 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
Back to the front tyres, I popped my hand under the front fender, and that liner's attachment is super freaking annoying. Lots of clearance wasted there. Will need to have a look under it properly and figure out something else.

Dave

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13

Top outer part of fender liner, check there during your track days, if it's going to rub, I think it will be there first.

I'm guessing you are going to be OK though.  I got this rub with a 18x10.5 ET15 setup, so you have 10mm more clearance.

frontrub.jpg

• thehelix112 likes this
2014 NISSAN GT-R

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,756 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

I ended up installing speed bleeders. Simple one person job now.

• thehelix112 and NSMO like this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,425 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
Icarus,

Interesting that you don't appear to have hit those enormous blocks on the fender liner.

I think the safest thing to do would be to pull the upright out, remove the spring, reinstall and check the full range of motion.

I'm used to working on Datsuns, that's about a 25 minute job. I imagine it'll take somewhat longer on this car.

Dave

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,425 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
I swapped the wheels front to back this morning to get an idea of how far it sticks out.

Quite a bit is the answer. Definitely going to need arms and/or bushes if this is going to work. Worth a shot I guess...

nte2Vhb.jpg
mXVvqEI.jpg
4UwBCKs.jpg
tYAMVSg.jpg
T7onmj8.jpg

Dave
  • Tim likes this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,052 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Yeah, I thought that might be the case. Those of us getting away with wider front wheels are running 18's and 19's with a much shorter tire than stock...

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13
Dave, I still think there is a good chance of no rub. You won't know until the front suspension is under full compression. The wheel tucks in at an angle.
2014 NISSAN GT-R

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,425 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
True. If I can find my spring compressors, and I wake up early, I'll pull one of the front shocks out and remove the spring so I can check the full range of motion.

Dave

Luv2XcelR8

Luv2XcelR8

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Joined 24-February 13

I am really enjoying this thread..

Very good info, keep adding!! 

-T

0486fe2b-7f6a-45aa-a194-ae34925fd7ba_zps

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,425 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13

Thanks man.  Will do!  Just washed the car to get ready for it to have a rest at the in-laws, and for me to have a rest from worrying about it being parked out the front of my house.

694xX56.jpg

rg9fzRt.jpg

LypWNVL.jpg

I'll get a bunch more pics in a couple of weeks.

Dave

• 7racer likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users