Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NSX reveal

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

god7illa

god7illa

Stage 2 Member

• 274 posts
  • Joined 17-January 14
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

POPULAR

Haven't seen this posted yet...

I've always been a fan of the NSX.

Here's  the new version being announced and detailed.   Sounds awesome.

9-speed Dual-Clutch.    550hp+ with elec motor assist .    $150k starting price iirc.

• Tim, Doug3226, HiBoost and 2 others like this

2009 Gun Metallic
Power:     2012 Turbo Inlets (ported by Dave@GotBoost),  Cobb catted Y-pipe,  GotBoost's 3" Intake,   Magnus tune: ~525 whp, ~550 wtq

Handling: Stillen front/rear sways,   '14 Track Ed struts/springs,  DBA LCAs,  ARP lugs,   Alcon/Carbotech brakes
Aero:        Stillen Front Splitter and Side Skirts,   Difflow 5 element rear diffuser
Convenience: 2014 MFD/NAV/Audio (legertas upgrade) w. front and rear cameras

Mr. Ess Hertz front/centre speaker/amp upgrade,   JL Audio SX600/1 + 2x8" Subs (my own "kit")
                       CarKitCompany RRR Memory Box

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,532 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
http://www.gtrherita...ra-nsx-is-back/
this was the most recent thread about the nsx.
will be interesting to hear the performance of this car. its really ugly and low power, but they say the it will be as fun as a 458... dunno if that translates to gtr lap times tho.

Doug3226

Doug3226

Heritage MVP

• OEM Member
  • 948 posts
  • Joined 25-December 12
  • LocationOhio

will be interesting to hear the performance of this car. its really ugly and low power, but they say the it will be as fun as a 458... dunno if that translates to gtr lap times tho.

Don't take this the wrong way....but we are on a GT-R forum, calling another car ugly is pretty hypocritical ;)

• Tim likes this

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,885 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha
This is interesting. I had not previously heard that the NSX was being completely designed, tested and built here in the US. Nor the fact that 95% of Acura products sold in the US are built in the US. That's got to be higher than GM or Ford can claim, isn't it? Would not have guessed any of that...

And I certainly wouldn't say it's ugly...

c01qmozcoywtydtlbz5a.jpg
-Jeff

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,885 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha
Not sure what was up at 17:50 in that video with the "revving"... didn't sound high enough to be purposeful revs to show off the sound, but also sounded way to crazy to be the normal idle. Bad tune? ;)
-Jeff

god7illa

god7illa

Stage 2 Member

• 274 posts
  • Joined 17-January 14
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Eyes of the beholder and all...  ;) 

There are certainly a lot of lines and grills in the new body, but personally I don't mind the look.   Quite honestly when I first saw pics of the R35 a long time ago I was not impressed with its look either - until I saw it in person (meaning, pictures did not do it justice). 

Re power...
"mid-mounted, twin-turbo V6 bolted to a nine-speed dual clutch transmission and an electric motor ... also two more electric motors with torque vectoring in the front allowing Acura to brand it with its Sport Hybrid Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive badge."

This sounds to me like plenty of power to start, and considering the twin turbo V6 there should could be the ability to tweak this a lot just like our own cars.     Plus, with the electrics I would hope the launch will be impressive - we'll see.

I can't afford one, but I certainly would like to have one.    If they've managed to produce anything close to the relative handling of the original for today's market then it will be a nice ride.

Looking forward to the numbers and times.

Edited by god7illa, 12 January 2015 - 12:49 PM.

2009 Gun Metallic
Power:     2012 Turbo Inlets (ported by Dave@GotBoost),  Cobb catted Y-pipe,  GotBoost's 3" Intake,   Magnus tune: ~525 whp, ~550 wtq

Handling: Stillen front/rear sways,   '14 Track Ed struts/springs,  DBA LCAs,  ARP lugs,   Alcon/Carbotech brakes
Aero:        Stillen Front Splitter and Side Skirts,   Difflow 5 element rear diffuser

Mr. Ess Hertz front/centre speaker/amp upgrade,   JL Audio SX600/1 + 2x8" Subs (my own "kit")

god7illa

god7illa

Stage 2 Member

• 274 posts
  • Joined 17-January 14
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Not sure what was up at 17:50 in that video with the "revving"... didn't sound high enough to be purposeful revs to show off the sound, but also sounded way to crazy to be the normal idle. Bad tune? ;)

I wondered about that too... maybe piped in over the sound-system to excite the crowd?

2009 Gun Metallic

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,532 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
the beak and the rear end are ugly, if we were to do a poll on the Honda forum, the wide consensus would be ugly. to some its fine, but its not striking or amazing in anyone's eyes as far as comments I've heard. the side profile is very nice tho.

and yes its true about the eye of the beholder.... but some things are just not good style, and this is a perfect example of that from a wide general perspective.

Honda should have redesigned it with all the internet comments about the ugly beak.

descartesfool

descartesfool

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 812 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

It's unfortunate that Acura is so completely lame in terms of creating a positive buzz on this car. Do we have a laptime, a Ring run, a torque spec, weight, power to weight, anything at all about the performance of the car? Nope. Nada. Zippo. Nothing. Those Acura guys are complete total buzzkill when it comes to promoting the car. It's almost like the car doesn't exist. They should review that original National Geographic video on the GT-R where they showed a round table of Nissan executives including the CEO Goshn talking about how they were marketing the GT-R on the web. They were masterful.

I mean did they show the engine, talk about the powerplant in any detail, compression ratios, boost, capacity, valvetrain, anything at all technical or performance related. All I know is they want the driver to feel good, or something like that.

They are just the lamest bunch at Acura USA. One can only hope the actual car transcends their lack of marketing skills. Oh, and I do like the new side profile. They've made it look a little more muscular. But $155k is the latest rumour, one can get a used 458 for near that price, in a year or two, as in when this NSX might actually be available.

• ian.r and changster like this

god7illa

god7illa

Stage 2 Member

• 274 posts
  • Joined 17-January 14
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

^^^^^

Yeah, as much a I'm confident the car will perform great, I will agree that the price is high.   And of course if it's $150k+ in the U.S. that means it'll probably be pushing upwards of $180k+ here in Canada - meaning over $200k out the door.    

We paid around $83k CDN ($70k U.S.) for our '09 GT-Rs when they were new - about $94k CDN out the door.   Six years later there's still nothing I can think of that will match it in fun/performance for anywhere close to that price - except maybe your new StringRay!

IIRC the original NSX was also pretty darn expensive (relatively speaking).

Price aside though, I would like to have one!

2009 Gun Metallic

ATL_GT-R

ATL_GT-R

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 676 posts
  • Joined 20-December 12
Not intrigued. So long in the making and then to be completely overshadowed by the FGT today. They must be pissed.
  • dtectproject likes this

TSM l '10 Alpha12

'14 Midnight Opal

'16 A8L

'16 Gwag

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,532 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
I'm not saying the car won't be great, if it were in my price range or I didn't care how much it cost I'd love to have one. wish I knew more about it tho. that was a boring presentation and I still dont know how awesome or not the car will be, was that photage all from ps3?

I'm a car guy but no cars perfect, skyliner is a different case lol but...

I can see the car for its engineering, I oozed when they showed a picture of the chassis but alas I didn't see any carbon fiber tube like there were rumors of :(
its just working static aero ... tho nsx to me signifies new tech and active aero is that new tech, even if its just an air brake to save your rotors a bit of heat if the OEM cooling isn't sufficient for more than a couple short laps (won't know until owners get them and tossing them around, just theorising here. I could go on, but as they said it was difficult for acura to tell more in the setting of a car show.

I also felt like they wanted buyers but... didn't entice me to really care. I do hope they start a media campaign. I've left the hype train a long time ago with this one.

Skyliner

Skyliner

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,770 posts
  • Joined 26-December 12

Nine-speed dual clutch transmission.... That's what the R36 needs.  It's a shame that the R35 DCT has only 6 gears... 

Posted Image

Prophizee

Prophizee

Stock

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 08-January 15
I wasn't impressed at all with it. They waited to long to reveal it that the hype just got over played. Plus the gt was the show stealer. I feel bad for Acura to finally reveal there halo car just to be over shadowed by ford. Plus if I was spending 165k on an NSX after options I rather get a gt3 and call it a day lol.
  • dtectproject likes this

CasualObserver

CasualObserver

Stage 4 Member

• 559 posts
  • Joined 11-August 14

Im not sure this one will live up to the billing of the original.  The original wasnt that good of a sports car, low on power and generally not as fast as it's contemporaries.  Then again it was beautiful.  This car is not ugly but not beautiful.  And they are targeting a car released 5 years ago as a performance benchmark.  I think the car is a losing proposition personally.

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,885 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha

Not intrigued. So long in the making and then to be completely overshadowed by the FGT today. They must be pissed.

I wasn't impressed at all with it. They waited to long to reveal it that the hype just got over played. Plus the gt was the show stealer. I feel bad for Acura to finally reveal there halo car just to be over shadowed by ford. Plus if I was spending 165k on an NSX after options I rather get a gt3 and call it a day lol.

I don't see how the GT is flatly more impressive? Twin turbo hybrid SH-AWD w/9-speed DCT vs twin turbo RWD w/7-speed DCT, the NSX certainly boasts more intriguing tech to me. The NSX interior shames the GT. Externally I prefer the GT but both are similar looking. The truth is it's way too premature to call either a victory or failure until we see some performance stats in the real world.
-Jeff

CasualObserver

CasualObserver

Stage 4 Member

• 559 posts
  • Joined 11-August 14

I don't see how the GT is flatly more impressive? Twin turbo hybrid SH-AWD w/9-speed DCT vs twin turbo RWD w/7-speed DCT, the NSX certainly boasts more intriguing tech to me. The NSX interior shames the GT. Externally I prefer the GT but both are similar looking. The truth is it's way too premature to call either a victory or failure until we see some performance stats in the real world.

Most of the general public bases their perception of supercars almost entirely on appearance, this is why the GT stole the show.  It looks much better, performance reamins to be seen.  The vast majority of the public will never own, drive or care about any of the technology dueling supercars bring to the table, looks matter in the supercar game.

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,885 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha

Most of the general public bases their perception of supercars almost entirely on appearance, this is why the GT stole the show.  It looks much better, performance reamins to be seen.  The vast majority of the public will never own, drive or care about any of the technology dueling supercars bring to the table, looks matter in the supercar game.

100% agree it has to look great. I just think the NSX, coming from a luxury brand, has a more upscale, R8 look to it whereas the GT looks more like a raw race car. No right or wrong, just two different spins on the genre. That said, watch one minute of this video starting at 9:00 and tell me that it doesn't look great in motion on the street.

https://www.youtube....xLFWrzfwQ#t=534
-Jeff

NickTO

NickTO

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,178 posts
  • Joined 29-December 12

This is interesting. I had not previously heard that the NSX was being completely designed, tested and built here in the US.

That's because Honda Japan was unable to execute the true next-gen NSX to fruition (HSV-010) and after all that embarrassment, an executive decision was made to let the US Office have a go at it.   The bar was certainly lowered, and the product not as ambitious, but overall the finished product isn't bad.  

I don't know that it will live up to the original in performance and cult following, but it's certainly looks like a good effort from a brilliant team in 1/2 the time it took to make the R35.

GT-R Heritage MAKES AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

NICK YOUR A FUNNY FUCKER DUDE  :D   - TIM 2015 & 2016.  2 Years Running!

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,885 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha
Everybody always refers to the performance of the first generation. I must have not noticed being so far ahead of them in my Supra ;) I always thought the NSX was the least impressive car Japan ever produced, in fact. SUPER expensive and equally anemic. Oh but it's hand made, and so pretty, blah blah blah. First, I never wanted to be Magnum PI so the looks didn't do it for me. Second, $85k for 270hp is an epic joke, even if the seats were made of Geisha labia.
-Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users