Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

LED turn signal bulbs

- - - - - led turn signal flasher blinker light bulb

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

haul s

haul s

Stage 4 Member

• 521 posts
  • Joined 18-October 14
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

I've been toying with an idea of replacing stock turn signal light bulbs with LED equivalents on my '14 BE for a while now, especially after picking up a set of '15 LED headlights - which, surprisingly, *still* come with regular light bulbs for turn signals.

So I had picked up a pair of 10pc 5W CREE LED bulbs here http://www.jdmastar....rv-motorcycles/. Even though the bulb body is aluminum, it runs its LED chips only at 1W (10W total) to keep them from melting, I guess. To my surprise, these bulbs did not make turn signals hyper-flash when plugged into rear sockets - I figured they put enough load on the circuit to make the flasher think it was driving real incandescent bulbs. They turned out to be a poor fit for GTR rear turn signals though, because their 2-3/8" length makes them get completely covered by and rub against dome reflector caps, so I ended up keeping the stock bulbs in the rear, for now.

Today, while I had the front wheels off the car for spacer installation, I decided to pull the fender liners off and pop these bulbs into the front turn signals. They fit well there, and are pretty bright, even in daylight - but the blinkers now hyper-flash!

WTF?! Why would the car detect these bulbs differently when plugged up front vs. in the back?

2014 Nissan GT-R Black Edition - haulin' ass!
sigpic71174_3.gif
---
2004 Audi B6 S4 Sedan MT6 - SOLD - OG ass hauler
Brilliant Red, Black/Silver

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,725 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

I'm no electrician but I think that as you add more low wattage LEDs to the circuit it causes it to hyper flash because the system thinks one of the lights is out.

You have to add resistors to the system to get it to work.

I ended up just buying one of the kits that people sell that has the LEDs so I wouldn't have to deal with this :P

In7anity!!

haul s

haul s

Stage 4 Member

• 521 posts
  • Joined 18-October 14
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Well, they flash normally in the rear with stock bulbs up front, but they hyper-flash up front with stock bulbs in the rear. AFAIK, both front and rear stock bulbs are 21W (7444NA front, 7440A rear).

So why would they hyper-flash up front, but not in the rear?

Not too crazy about having to install load resistors up front either... they tend to get too damn hot and melt shit if mounted to plastic (like headlight housings), and I'm not sure what a suitable metal mounting location for them would be.

sigpic71174_3.gif
---

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,725 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

not sure either.  I ended up buying those plug and play ones that seem to work.

Did you try these?  They seem to work and I just installed them for my interior lights and trunk light....which was a HUGE improvement.

http://www.store.zil...d-install-guide

which rear ones are you replacing?  The side rear that you have to remove the bumper?

In7anity!!

haul s

haul s

Stage 4 Member

• 521 posts
  • Joined 18-October 14
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Oh yeah, I've done all of the interior & side markers.

It's the turn signals that are driving me nuts.

sigpic71174_3.gif
---

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,725 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Jotech did my side markers...not sure how...but I like them.

sorry not more help!

In7anity!!

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,909 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha

I'm no electrician but I think that as you add more low wattage LEDs to the circuit it causes it to hyper flash because the system thinks one of the lights is out.

You have to add resistors to the system to get it to work.

I ended up just buying one of the kits that people sell that has the LEDs so I wouldn't have to deal with this :P

I was thinking it would be the opposite... i.e. the lower the resistance, the higher the current draw and thus the higher the wattage... so if his LED bulbs are lower wattage than the stock bulbs perhaps they are already too high of resistance?  Would be interesting to put an ohmmeter on the stock bulb and also on this to see how they compare.  The hyper blinking is supposed to detect a burnt out bulb which should read infinite resistance (open circuit) so I would think if anything the problem is too high of a resistance.  But perhaps the OE circuit checks for too high and too low of resistance. ??

-Jeff

haul s

haul s

Stage 4 Member

• 521 posts
  • Joined 18-October 14
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

The hyper blinking is supposed to detect a burnt out bulb which should read infinite resistance (open circuit) so I would think if anything the problem is too high of a resistance. But perhaps the OE circuit checks for too high and too low of resistance. ??

Whatever the OEM circuit does to check for burnt-out bulbs, it appears to do it differently between front and rear, as these bulbs don't hyper flash in the back. Very curious to learn what the difference is.

Edited by haul s, 23 December 2014 - 11:05 AM.

• Enshiu likes this

sigpic71174_3.gif
---

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,909 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha

Does it hyper flash when a rear bulb is missing?  I.e. is it possible that it just isn't checking anything in the rear?

-Jeff

haul s

haul s

Stage 4 Member

• 521 posts
  • Joined 18-October 14
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
When I was playing with these bulbs in the rear, I think I tried that, and I think the car was hyper-flashing w/o a bulb in rear socket - but I'm not 100% certain of my recollection... :)

Now that I got them installed up front, I can't test for this any more, since the car is already hyper-flashing from them. I'll try it next time I have he front fender liner out... Or someone else with stock bulbs up front and trunk carpeting out could check this too. ;)

sigpic71174_3.gif
---

elp_jc

elp_jc

Stage 3 Member

• 361 posts
  • Joined 07-May 14
  • LocationEl Paso, TX

Not too crazy about having to install load resistors up front either.

Yeah, that's a deal-breaker for me. And the HUGE Triton3 V-LEDs have a HUGE resistor box that would require notching the housing for the wires. Another deal-breaker for me, so reluctantly left them alone. The start of your thread had me all excited, until you gave us the bad news. Ha ha.

As far as the hyperflashing, the front and rear are under different circuits; remember the front ones double as parking lights too (that might be the difference). The rear ones have to be monitored by the ECU as well, but they obviously trigger a fault with less current differential. The next question is how lower. One of us need to order the brighest regular LED amber bulb (same size as a stock bulb)from superbrightLEDs:

https://www.superbri...-led-tower/997/

or a similar one, and see what happens. They warn against not having load-resistors, but we might get away with that on the rear. The front are just too much work to replace anyway, and with your results, I'll definitely leave those alone now. But I'd like at least the rear all LED; the stupid turn-signals are the only non-LED bulbs in my car, and that drive me nuts too :lol:.

Did you try these?  They seem to work and I just installed them for my interior lights and trunk light....which was a HUGE improvement.

Those are not monitored by the ECU; only the turn-signals, tail/brake lights, and headlights.

Edited by elp_jc, 27 December 2014 - 12:34 AM.

2015 white/black GT-R Premium. MODS: JDM clear front markers, radiator screens, HKS resonated MP, BlendMount V1 mount w/MirrorTap, 3M window tint, rear/front debadge, full LEDs (except turn-signals), AutoTecknic matte black paddles, OEM car cover, Gold-Plug magnetic oil drain plug, 370Z jack and rod, Stop'nGo flat tire repair kit, Dynaplug compressor, Rays steel chrome lug/locknut set, Hawk HPS brake pads, SecondSkin insulation under rear seats and trunk.

Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

Stock

• Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Joined 17-February 14
  • LocationScattered

I'm having problems with my turn signals also.

It could be the quality of the connectors on the bulbs as the filaments are intact but they flash intermittently when required.

Anyone else have these issues? If so is it the quality of the bulb or the housing?

Thanks in advance!.

Cheers.

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,083 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13
Very few aftermarket exterior LED's produce more light than stock SAE filament bulbs. Check carefully before installing. Most are not legal for on road use because of this. They look bright enough, but aren't.

Shawn

Falcon900

Falcon900

Stock

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Joined 25-May 18
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

I noticed that the 2019 GTR has amber LED front turn signal light bulbs. The lights look the same as past model cars with the LED headlights (except for the turn signal bulb that is not LED). Would the 2019 bulb fit an earlier version car?

2016 Premium Gun Metallic with Cobb Stage 3; Cobb Catted Downpipes, Cobb Y-Pipe, NISMO Ti Exhaust, Cobb 3" Intakes, ID1050X Injectors, Cobb CAN Gateway with E85.

haul s

haul s

Stage 4 Member

• 521 posts
  • Joined 18-October 14
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

I noticed that the 2019 GTR has amber LED front turn signal light bulbs. The lights look the same as past model cars with the LED headlights (except for the turn signal bulb that is not LED). Would the 2019 bulb fit an earlier version car?

Haven’t seen a 2019 in person yet - got any photos of this new setup?

sigpic71174_3.gif
---

Enshiu

Enshiu

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 347 posts
  • Joined 01-January 13
  • LocationNL,UK,JP

Where is the indicator relay on a gtr? I maybe need to replace mine with an LED version so I can put LED in mine.

Been working with enshiu on my car for the past 2 days. This guy is a mad scientist. He knows his stuff about GT-Rs. We spent the past few days changing brakes, rotors and upgrading my  gotboost full intercooler piping. Enshiu will post pics of my car later.

My project:

http://www.gtrherita...-600whp-upgrade

haul s

haul s

Stage 4 Member

• 521 posts
  • Joined 18-October 14
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Where is the indicator relay on a gtr? I maybe need to replace mine with an LED version so I can put LED in mine.

I don’t think there’s one... it’s all electronic, with instrument cluster making the “clicker” sounds through its built in speaker.

sigpic71174_3.gif
---

Falcon900

Falcon900

Stock

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Joined 25-May 18
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Haven’t seen a 2019 in person yet - got any photos of this new setup?

I saw one at the dealership, next time I am up there I will snap a pic.

2016 Premium Gun Metallic with Cobb Stage 3; Cobb Catted Downpipes, Cobb Y-Pipe, NISMO Ti Exhaust, Cobb 3" Intakes, ID1050X Injectors, Cobb CAN Gateway with E85.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: led, turn signal, flasher, blinker, light bulb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users