Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New BFG Tire. G-force Rival

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

ALPHA Performance

ALPHA Performance

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,708 posts
  • Joined 18-December 12

Recently BFG invited our president and accomplished driver Martin Musial out to NOLA for some one on one testing of their new performance tire: http://www.onehotlap...t-thickens.html

bfg_gforce_rival4r_ci2_l.jpg

Here is a quote from Martin on the day:

Hi guys, this is Martin Musial from AMS.  I'm going to chime in here as I was at the tire release event for the BFG Rival.   We were down at NOLA motorsports park and I got to drive the following cars;  Subaru STi (short autocross), BMW E46 M3 (longer high speed autocross), Mazda MX-5 cup car (skid pad), Mustang FR500S (road course).  each car had a twin (or triplet in some cases) fitted with the leading competitors tires. Some of the tires were Hankook RS-3's, Azenis RT-615K, Toyo R1R's.  We drove the BFG Rival equipped car first and then hoped into the next car and so forth, and then finally jumping back into the BFG tire car for a final comparison.  We also had some car that were equipped with the BFG R1S's (the sticky R1), which I raced on last year in SCCA and won a lot of races on.

The tire has very good turn-in and response, almost on par with the BFG R1S DOT race tire.   This became very apparent on the short autocross, where response and grip are critical.  The BFG Rival was worlds better than the Toyo R1R and a noticeable improvement from the Hankook RS-3's. What was very amazing was the wear at the end of the day.  All tires started out fresh that morning, and after running through about 40 people (and the BFG getting 50% more runs on it than the other tires)  they dismounted the fronts and put them on display.  The BFG rival had very little wear, honestly I was expecting much more.  The Hankook RS-3 showed some wear but the middle unsupported ribs where actually shredding.  The Toyo R1R with all the unsupported tread blocks were totally destroyed, I mean they were done.

Same thing for the long autocross in the M3's (which I love driving BTW, great drivers car).  The BFG rival had more grip, better response, and better recovery.  I will say that at the limit they might break away a little faster than the RS-3 but they recover faster also, which is very nice if you overdrive the car.  

On the skid pad they had us hold steady lines and we had a G meter in every car.  The BFG rival would pull a consistent 1.14-1.16G's in the MX-5, while the DOT R compound BFG R1S would do 1.20-1.22 G's.  I was expecting a bigger difference between the two, especially since the R1S is a sticky road race compound. The baseline tire was the BFG Sport comp 2, which I'm not familiar with but looks like a good high performance tire.  It would pull around 1.05-1.06 g's.

The road course was a little tough comparison because we had no idea what configuration we were running and we had no track map or video to look at.  We only got a lap and a half on each tire so it took me the first session on the BFG's to figure out the track.  There is a nice section of high speed esses where I was able to consistently run the BFG Rival vs. the Falked 615's and again, the BFG tire had better response and better grip.

We were told that on a wet surface this tire will outperform all other non R compound street legal tires, but in standing water conditions it will have a higher tendency to hydroplane because of it's design.

A far as the R888 goes, If it were my car I would go for the Rival for an all around bad ass street/track tire.  The R888 is very loud in my opinion for a daily and I'm not sure it would have much better ultimate grip than the BGF Rival.  It looks like they are going for square setup sizes, but I would like to see one more size option so we don't have to run front fenders to accommodate the larger tires and maintain the same rolling diameter front to rear.

-Martin Musial

Ty Curtin

ty@amsperformance.com 

World's First Nissan R35 GT-R in the 9's, 8's 7's AND THE 6's!!!!!!!

Alpha Queen - 6.87 @ 216 mph

Alpha G 6.93 @ 196 | Alpha 22 (Prime Cuts) 7.06 @ 206 | Alpha 22 (CMC) 7.32 @ 184 | Alpha Omega 7.48 @ 193 | Alpha W (a10x) 7.56 @ 189 | Alpha X (Curtis) 7.66 @ 187 

Polivoks

Polivoks

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,406 posts
  • Joined 05-December 12

Good find!

They come in two sizes, but unfortunately the diameters are nearly 1" apart so you would need to run a square setup.

http://www.tirerack....l=g-Force Rival

100W SL 200 AA A 1764 lbs. 30 lbs. 9.5-11"   27.9" OD

110W XL 200 AA A 2337 lbs. 34 lbs. 10.5-12.5"   28.7" OD

One is SL and one is XL too - not sure how much difference that makes, but with the GT-R weight it seems the XL would be better?

315s square with wide fenders would be sweet though.

It would be nice if they had similar OD to the R888s so you could run 285/315.

ALPHA Performance

ALPHA Performance

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,708 posts
  • Joined 18-December 12

More sizes are on the way but yeah I think that 315 square or even 335 square would be AWESOME.

Eric

Ty Curtin

ty@amsperformance.com 

World's First Nissan R35 GT-R in the 9's, 8's 7's AND THE 6's!!!!!!!

Alpha Queen - 6.87 @ 216 mph

Alpha G 6.93 @ 196 | Alpha 22 (Prime Cuts) 7.06 @ 206 | Alpha 22 (CMC) 7.32 @ 184 | Alpha Omega 7.48 @ 193 | Alpha W (a10x) 7.56 @ 189 | Alpha X (Curtis) 7.66 @ 187 

GTRG2

GTRG2

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 147 posts
  • Joined 01-January 13

I hope they make a 285/315 !!! 

480a1bc9-a70e-4531-a9b9-9c8c8f0745ad.jpg

4.1L Alpha 12 - Canadas First 8 Second GTR ... PB 8.7 @ 163 mph on the COBB

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
any more updates on these? anyone else try them?

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13

Very interesting, nice to see a race driver put them through some comparison testing.

Compared to a Michelin Pilot Super Sport (what I consider the "gold standard" of a street/track compromise tire):

BFG Rival has a 200 treadwear rating and a load rating of  1764 lbs

MPSS has a 300 treadwear rating and a load rating of 1984 lbs

So, the MPSS might be a bit more up to the "punishment" a 3800+ lb car as fast as GT-R can dish out (?)  Maybe the BFG Rival would ultimately set a faster dry laptime though.

If the BFG Rival is close to as good in the wet as the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, I would be very tempted to try them.

• 7racer likes this
2014 NISSAN GT-R
Racing Brake - HKS - GotBoost Performance - AMS

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,109 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

I have a set in my garage to go on after the R888's wear out, but don't have them on yet.

Shawn

• 7racer likes this

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,909 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha

What size Shawn?  All 285s?  The 315's are quite a bit taller than stock, has anybody gone with that tall of a tire on an R35?

• shawnhayes likes this
-Jeff

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,109 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

What size Shawn?  All 285s?  The 315's are quite a bit taller than stock, has anybody gone with that tall of a tire on an R35?

I got all 285's.  That seems to be a good size.

Shawn

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13
TSM used to run 315/35/20 MPSS square on 20x11 rims, usind Password JDM fenders up front
2014 NISSAN GT-R

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,801 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

TSM used to run 315/35/20 MPSS square on 20x11 rims, usind Password JDM fenders up front

I am currently working out trying to do this with the stock fenders...will post a new thread when I get further along....it's pretty cool, involves 3d printing.

• icarus likes this

In7anity!!

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13

I am currently working out trying to do this with the stock fenders...will post a new thread when I get further along....it's pretty cool, involves 3d printing.

Definitely let us know!  I don't know how many hours I've wasted contemplating square setups, always challenged by the space available in front.

2014 NISSAN GT-R

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,801 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Definitely let us know!  I don't know how many hours I've wasted contemplating square setups, always challenged by the space available in front.

I was going to wait as it's preliminary...but the phone call was exciting.  I'll start a thread and fill it up as I go.....as long as people know it's a work in progress.

In7anity!!

K-MAN

K-MAN

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 344 posts
  • Joined 12-January 13

I would be in to test the 335 square setup. MPSS is the Gold Standard. I have been running those for the past 3 years at all my races/HPDE. I would love to test another setup/tire.

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,801 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

thread started here

http://www.gtrherita...fenders-square/

In7anity!!

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,109 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

MPSS is the Gold Standard. 

Bleeahhhh...

Me no like.

OEM Dunlops were better on the track, or so I thought.  Too much lateral movement.

Shawn

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13

This past Saturday I was at Oregon Raceway Park, with brisk temperatures (40-50F) running OEM rims and 285/20 Michelin Pilot Super Sport setup with about 2 years, 10k miles, and approx 15 track sessions.  I could not believe how much grip they had.  I could run a 30 minute session with no overheating; seems like the cool weather was great for them.

I passed everything.  EVERYTHING.  I was running in the open passing race group, all other cars were full race cars on R compounds. 

MPSS is a good tire.

2014 NISSAN GT-R

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,109 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

This past Saturday I was at Oregon Raceway Park, with brisk temperatures (40-50F) running OEM rims and 285/20 Michelin Pilot Super Sport setup with about 2 years, 10k miles, and approx 15 track sessions. I could not believe how much grip they had. I could run a 30 minute session with no overheating; seems like the cool weather was great for them.

I passed everything. EVERYTHING. I was running in the open passing race group, all other cars were full race cars on R compounds.

MPSS is a good tire.

Personal taste man. It performs well, but feels "funny". Like Madonna - like Dennis Rodman had been there already.

Shawn
  • Tim, icarus and 7racer like this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,687 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches
Hahaaaa Shawn!

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,801 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Personal taste man. It performs well, but feels "funny". Like Madonna - like Dennis Rodman had been there already.

Shawn

that just made me cough a chocolate chip cookie thru my nose!  LOL 

In7anity!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users