Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Racing Brake Complete System - Long Term Test

- - - - - racing brake calipers track rotors track pads brake system brakes

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,511 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Running slicks and around 1:55.. Not that impressive really..

Not for a GT-R.  But for a straight Z28 with NASA rules?  Methinks that's probably not too bad for him.  But, the improvement is probably the most important quantity.  If you make Captain Slow 10 seconds faster, that's a good thing to do.

Shawn

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,641 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Please try to understand that the essence of the quoted experience is the "improvement" Russ can make, meaning the seconds that this RB set up + slick tire can help him shave off than track time.

I don't think anyone will disagree that 10 second out of a 2 minutes run is not a remarkable improvement am I right?

At face value, yes. But a stock z28 is probably capable of a 1:56 in stock form in the hands of a pro. Not to take away from Russ, we're all learning and that's a massive improvement!

But he may have dropped the same amount of time with no setup changed given more seat time. I went from 2:03 first time there to 1:57 with 0 setup changes, still on OEM rubber.

I think to evaluate setup changes properly you have to be running against the limits of the setup, and the change one thing at a time. Otherwise skill, experience and multiple variables confound any meaningful results.

Not for a GT-R. But for a straight Z28 with NASA rules? Methinks that's probably not too bad for him. But, the improvement is probably the most important quantity. If you make Captain Slow 10 seconds faster, that's a good thing to do.

Shawn

As another data point one of those z28 in stock trim is 2 seconds quicker around big willow than my car, same driver. http://fastestlaps.c.../willow-springs

They are not slow.

Dave

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,511 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

At face value, yes. But a stock z28 is probably capable of a 1:56 in stock form in the hands of a pro. Not to take away from Russ, we're all learning and that's a massive improvement!

But he may have dropped the same amount of time with no setup changed given more seat time. I went from 2:03 first time there to 1:57 with 0 setup changes, still on OEM rubber.

I think to evaluate setup changes properly you have to be running against the limits of the setup, and the change one thing at a time. Otherwise skill, experience and multiple variables confound any meaningful results.
As another data point one of those z28 in stock trim is 2 seconds quicker around big willow than my car, same driver. http://fastestlaps.c.../willow-springs

They are not slow.

Dave

You're right for sure, but everything is relative unless you control perfectly all the variables.  The z28 can be fast, but the pros do much better in the car when compared to your normal HPDE driver.  GT-R is much easier to drive fast.

Shawn

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,641 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13

You're right for sure, but everything is relative unless you control perfectly all the variables. The z28 can be fast, but the pros do much better in the car when compared to your normal HPDE driver. GT-R is much easier to drive fast.

Shawn

True. But if we're talking about hpde drivers, how many of them do you think would be able to pick Rb vs stock brakes in a blind test? I'd put money on none. I doubt I could do it.

Dave

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,511 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

True. But if we're talking about hpde drivers, how many of them do you think would be able to pick Rb vs stock brakes in a blind test? I'd put money on none. I doubt I could do it.

Dave

Totally stock? Stock pads? In a heartbeat.

The RB system is SOOOO much better than the stock system on the stock pads that it's not even funny.

But with the same pads?

The feel is "different". I can say for me "better", because they are easier to modulate. Engagement to lockup is much more apparent to your foot. So back to back I could tell, even on the same pads. I bet you could too. Maybe not which one was best, but how they felt. Some drivers like immediate lockup at the 1/2 way point of braking. I do not. I like it at a lower pedal travel, but that's just me.

Shawn

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,641 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
I should've said calipers. My bad.

The calipers would be the last thing I'd change in the system, but the pads and rotors, absolutely. The difference between stock and j-hook+carbotech is obvious and immediately apparent.

Maybe one day I'll try the upgrade and see for myself. :-)
  • destroid likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,511 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

I should've said calipers. My bad.

The calipers would be the last thing I'd change in the system, but the pads and rotors, absolutely. The difference between stock and j-hook+carbotech is obvious and immediately apparent.

Maybe one day I'll try the upgrade and see for myself. :-)

As far as feel, the RB calipers are advantage as above, but adding the following:

1. The shit dust seals on the stockers. They burn up almost immediately. The RB's require replacement, but keep the pistons nice and clean.
2. Pad changes - driving out the stock brembo pins and screws is a pain. RB's are better.
3. Springs and noise - stocks make more noise.
4. Caliper protection - landing area for pad is protected on RB caliper by replaceable spring. Stock caliper just wears there. Check yours anytime, you'll see.
5. Caliper removal for disc changes - the hard lines for the OEM ones increase the pedal feel, but the flexible lines on the RB one allow you to move the caliper around and get the disc on and off with much less fuss. The number of rotor changes I have done in eight years alone makes this a significant issue.
6. Proper clearance for bigger rotors - the ZR1 rotors and 390mm AP ones I have fit since having my RB's have fit MUCH better in that caliper. I'm convinced that pad cooling and wear has been less due to it.
7. Pad taper - every pad I had on the stock system tapered. Worst on the pagid CCM'. RB's do this much less.

Shawn
  • destroid, Warren-RB and BAZ007 like this

Warren-RB

Warren-RB

Stage 4 Member

• 476 posts
  • Joined 20-January 14

Above is a well summarized advantage of how a better built caliper can indeed improve the brake efficiency and save you pad and rotor replacement. However since not many (in fact none) offers "Caliper Replacement" (unlike pad and rotor having a lot of choices), so most consumers would never think of this alternative is possible unless a complete aftermarket brake kit is purchased.

Camaro Z28 is another community started to realize the benefit of this totally OE compatible caliper upgrade.

http://www.camaro5.c...08&postcount=15

www.RacingBrake.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: racing brake, calipers, track, rotors, track pads, brake system, brakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users